It's Official: Bunheads Cancelled by ABC Family

Bunheads CancelledUPDATE: ABC Family is now officially confirming that Bunheads has indeed been cancelled.

Bunheads is a wonderful series that we are very proud to have aired,” said an ABC Family rep in a statement. “The series had amazing storytelling, the most talented cast and a passionate and loyal fan base. Recognizing all of this, we took extra time to try and find ways to bring the series back for another season, but in the end it simply wasn’t possible.  We wish the cast and crew the best in their future endeavors.”

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Returning? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

ORIGINAL STORY: ABC Family is on the verge of cancelling Amy Sherman-Palladino’s acclaimed-but-little-seen ballet dramedy after one season.

“It’s definitely on life support — at best,” acknowledges AS-P’s spouse, Bunheads consulting producer Daniel Palladino. “It’s gasping for air, pumped full of drugs.

“And the waiting… geez,” he adds of the network’s months-long cone of silence. “I don’t want to say it’s getting ridiculous, but Obama is planning to address it on Monday.”

One reason for the hold-up on a renewal/cancellation decision, per insiders, is that ABC Family has been actively looking for more cost-efficient methods to produce the Sutton Foster-fronted series moving forward. Unfortunately, it’s not looking like any of those options will take root.

1. J says:

Ugh. This is killing me. Come on, ABC Fam, do the right thing!

2. wordsmith says:

Seriously! I realize the numbers aren’t great, but this show has so much potential. Please just have a little faith, ABC Family!

• rowan77 says:

The numbers are fine. Most of the dancers are not professionals, but teens and tweens who take ballet class. The cast has gotten larger and larger for no real reason (Collette, while a great dancer, is a fairly pointless character. We get it. She’s cool. Move on), but it’s trying to recapture the charm of small town living like in Gilmore Girls. Plus the insurance has to be pretty massive with all the dancing. I like the show and felt the acting improved a great deal in the second part of the season as the girls settled into their roles. I hope ABC Family finds a way to keep the show.

• marietta says:

I totally agree! If ABC would hold on just a little longer and let a fan base grow larger…kind of like what happened when the original Star Trek series was considered unworthy to be renewed, but look at what happened with that series. Geez do the networks EVER really care about what the audience REALLY wants to watch? How can they even measure who watches? I certainly wasn’t polled. I am with Meghan on this one…I will make it my mission to spread the word about this so-called “Family” network turning its back on real families by removing quality viewing. My high school students loved this series as well; how often do high school students watch something that an entire family can sit and watch together? Bring “Bunheads” back!!!!!

3. Alicia says:

This stinks! This show is witty, fun & heartwarming. Sutton Foster is amazing. How can they not keep this show??

4. Shayna says:

Day is ruined. I need ASP, Sutton Foster & Kelly Bishop in my life.

5. Mike R says:

Such an underrated show. What another bummer. Great cast, characters, writing. TV execs aren’t too bright. Promote the good stuff! Lay off the reality shows already.

• ... says:

ABC Family doesn’t have reality television. They have six dramas (two yet to premiere) and two comedies.

• Brandy says:

Last summer they had Beverly Hills Nannies, this summer The Vineyard,Dancing Fools plus game show SpellMaggedeon so yes they do have reality tv.

• Brandy says:

What do you call Beverly Hills Nannies,The Vineyard and Dancing Fools?Reality tv.

6. Katie says:

COME ON.

7. Krista says:

This show NEEDS to be renued. It’s smart, witty, amazing and awesome. My new fav. show after Gilmore Girls ended!

8. Linda says:

Awww man.

9. Ann says:

NOO! ABC Family should cancel that show, Twister and keep Bunheads!

10. Talia33 says:

NOTHING like it on TV. Too bad

11. Ugh. American TV sucks. You never know when a brand new episode of your favorite show is going to air, and awesome shows get canceled while ridiculous trash is still on TV.

12. Leo says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

13. Craig says:

another network set up maybe?

• Midori says:

HAHAHAHA

Like what CW? CW seems to be, thankfully, moving more towards sic-fi and fantasy than having more girly crap.

(Yes it be better than half the shows CW does, but it’s not going to happen)

• Brandy says:

Midori, no need to be a jerk.Also, just cause you like scifi/genre shows & not girly shows dosent mean anythings wrong with those of us that like girly shows or that there arent people who do or that were wrong for not liking what type of tv show you do..Personally, I dont like the direction CW is going.But thats why theres so many different shows on the air,theres something for eveyone.You dont like Bunheads, ok but theres no need to bash it or the sad fans of it(sad cause of the cancellation).Maybe ill bash scifi/genre shows and hope they go away and networks put on more girly shows.

14. Lynn W says:

Well, that really stinks. I enjoy watching the show and have been waiting for it to come back. Why is it the good stuff always gets cancelled? Grrrrr.

15. Ata24 says:

ABC Family, do the right thing, come on! Pretty pleaseeeeeeeee! We want Bunheads!

16. Jess says:

By all means, ABC Family, please cancel this wonderful show so you can make room for your newest drama series Pretty Twisted Secret Lying Liars. Because trite that like that is much better suited to your network.

• Kay says:

Hahaha so true- this was the first show on their network that wasn’t complete trash, So naturally, it can’t possibly survive!

• Wild child says:

@Kay, Bunheads while I will be sad to see it go was not the first show on the network that wasn’t “complete trash” Lincoln Heights was a fantastic family drama that touched on a lot of serious issues including: poverty, gun violence, & race. Jane By Design was another fun show and while not as hard hitting as LH it was fun and quirky but definitely took time to have some serious moments.

• Kay says:

I actually completely forgot about Jane By Design- you’re right, that was a pretty decent show. I never saw Lincoln Heights, so I can’t comment on that one, but as I’m thinking about it, I rather like Melissa and Joey as well. I was merely noticing that this network does seem to have an unusually high volume of shows that seem more aligned with the Soap Opera genre than good-hearted “family” shows like these. Thank you for the correction, though, you are correct that they aren’t all terrible.

17. Kris says:

It’s such a good show!! I really hope they do not cancel it!!

18. Amanda says:

But instead we a faux-reality show like The Vineyard? Really, Abc Family? Really?

19. noa says:

SAVE BUNHEADS

20. toddsmurray says:

Noooooo! This show is awesome! Take the California tax credit you’ve won and make season 2 already! The audience is there, even if Nielsen’s phony numbers don’t say so.

21. Since ABC Family won’t comment on the story, please… allow me…. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

22. abbyjo says:

aw, come on ABC Family! give it a second season and a chance to grow! i know there’s an audience out there that, like my family, loves this gem of a show!

23. Bonne says:

Please don’t cancel……..Other than me, my husband loves this show….ty ty

24. johnhelvete says:

With the quotes about trying to slash the budget, it might be better for the show to just end than have it come back with half of the cast gone or some radical change that ruins the show.

25. Eric7740 says:

I’m sorry, it was just no Gilmore GIrls, or anything close. I tried to give a chance, but it literally bored me. It just lacked, the wit, charm and heart that Gilmore Girls had. It just seemed to me that you could not relate to any of the characters. Sorry Bunheads fans, thats just my opinion, and I do hope your sake the show does not get cancelled.

• Lilly says:

I agree! (Although BH was still the best thing ABCFamily aired.) Bunheads just didn’t quite capture Gilmore Girls. As I always say, give me characters I want to spend time with and I’ll forgive other weaknesses. But I never really connected with BH characters – try as I might. The premise of BH was just a bit too kooky (okay, the hasty marriage was enough to swallow, but his death?!?). And the chatter – though stunning – could be a bit much. In GG, Lorelai was the most chatter-boxy, not everyone, all the time.

26. Paul Cox says:

At this point, I’d just settle for a 2-hour movie to wrap up loose ends. That’s it. Small investment by ABCF and A LOT OF HAPPY FANS. Those jackasses will never do it, though.

• ... says:

Not every show that lasts more than 4 episodes needs a movie to wrap things up.

• Paul says:

Correct, but when the first season ends on a cliffhanger and just a general state of being unfinished, it kinda does.

• S. says:

She had to know the odds weren’t great that it would get renewed. If there’s a problem with the finale’s resolution, it’s Amy’s fault. You don’t get a wrap up in this situation. I think the ending the season on a cliffhanger wasn’t particularly fair to the fans. Not that she cares, given the stuff Amy pulled dragging down the S6 of Gilmore Girls and making it hard for them to dig out of that hole in S7. I always saw it as her being passive-aggressive to her bosses when they wouldn’t sign her up for 2 more seasons and only offered her one (which she didn’t take). I’m a fan, but not always of how she seems to handle things that happen off screen. I wonder how it would be for her on HBO. They’d give her room to do stuff with less interference, and they celebrate distinctive voices. Sorkin’s said he’s more focused on dialogue that story and that it’s harder for him to write story well. I think Amy’s got a leg up on him there. Could be interesting having them on the same channel. Kelly Bishop might finally get recognized for her work.

27. Ames says:

I hope it’s canceled. It was truly dreadful and another white washed show that refused to cast dancers of color. Heavens little African American girls watch and think they can be a ballerina too. We can’t have that! I hope so hard this awfulness is not given a second season.

• Paul says:

If you had watched the show for more than maybe a single episode, you’d know you’re talking right out of your a**. We all know.

• tp says:

Yes, the show had exactly one black girl and boy.

• Graham says:

Maybe there were not many blacks in “the made up town”! Sometimes that happens!! Now that is the real world. Like House Of Payne only has a few white people. It happens sometimes.

• Lena says:

Let’s not forget the hundreds of shows that have a few African Americans on the cast. We should all be grateful for the diversity in ALL the networks….Never mind…That doesn’t exist. Graham you named one show out of thousands. Do you want me to name all the shows that have very few blacks or none at all? Pull up a chair. It’s going to be a long day.

• Billiam says:

Networks and producers shouldn’t be forced to cast actors from every skin color or nationality just because it is the politically correct thing to do…

Grey’s Anatomy may have both black and whites on it but I’ve yet to see someone from every single country on this earth. I watch the show, not because of it being ‘colorful’ but because I like the show. The same thing with Bunheads.

I’m white but when I was a kid, I watched The Jeffersons and Good Times and there weren’t any whites on those shows. The truth is that I wasn’t raised to think black and white but HUMAN and I wished that people would leave their racism in the 60’s where it belongs. Yes, there is racism no matter what color you are. I’ve met plenty of black people who wanted to kill me simply because I had black friends and they didn’t like it. I dated a black woman when I was younger and her oldest son did his best to cause problems just because I was white. So, it goes both ways.

It doesn’t matter what color you are, if you are raised in hatred, you will hate too.

• Cort says:

Just a quick comment regarding Billiam’s post. The Jeffersons was a spin-off of All in the Family and there was actually a pretty good mix of African Americans and Caucasians. There was also an interracial marriage. Willis, Bentley, the doorman, and Jenny was supposed to be mixed. Just saying lol

As for the rest I agree there is a huge disparity and I appreciate those shows that include many different ethnicities or just completely different backgrounds. Something more representative of the real world.

• Billiam says:

I grew up in a small town in Michigan and there was only one black in my high school. My town was “real” and he was just one of us. Most of us liked him and if people didn’t like him, it surely wasn’t because of the color of his skin. To us, our town was the real world and I’ve often wished that I was there now.

I got the shock of my life at age 19 when I ended up in Alabama and forced to deal with racism in the first time in my life.

Now, I live in Orlando, Florida and this town is less racist than any I’d ever lived in or visited. There are as many different ethnic groups here than in New York City and on the most part, we either get along or leave each other alone.

The first time this city even hinted at racism was when Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson showed up and began starting trouble.

Like I said, racism goes both ways.

• Et al says:

STFU Shonda.

• Rachelle says:

You seriously want it cancelled because there’s not enough black people on the show? Really? Just from you saying that sounds to me that your just an uneducated black that doesn’t understand their own history…it’s not about black or white!! But maybe you can write Obama a letter concerning your feelings…LOL!!! The world is seriously upside down! GOD BLESS AMERICA!

• Whatevah says:

Shonda is that you?

• cas says:

Maybe there were just no good black actors or actresses for the parts, ever think about that? This is exactly what people keep doing, taking something that isn’t even about race, and turning it into something that is. I bet if it was all black people in the cast, you wouldn’t be complaining. So basically you are just seeing it the way you want to see it. People like you will take any little thing and make it about race and try to say that whites are the ones being racist, when in reality you are the one making it about race and constantly bringing it up. This of course is all one stupid reason to cancel a show. I suppose I should start complaining about Tyler Perry’s awful series, and how I don’t see enough white people in them.

• Starla says:

i agree, i love this show but the lack of ethnicities did bother me slightly. really disappointed with all the follow up comments to this though, they comment on one show being a predominantly black cast compared to the what? thousands of white predominate shows that have been before it and are still around now. i especially love the comment that “it’s not about race”, it is, representation matters, it’s important to see people who look like you on tv, especially clever funky indie shows like this. denying racism nowadays is most definitely the new racism.

• Jacqui lloyd says:

I’m from the uk and have just watched the show from series 1 – end . It covers everything a small town has . It had Asian , black ,white , Spanish . It covered flaky , crazy , gay . In fact everything and amazing dancing . The characters were quirky . I’m sad it’s not continuing but don’t get caught up in the ethics thing , the only accountant was black , the only director was black , so I don’t think race was an issue . What is an issue is for the first time in ages a sitcom with ballet that was funny is no more 😬

• seriously its ignorant prejudice people like you who always have to throw in the race card. It has nothing to do with race! It’s a great family show, honestly look at House of Payne, there where only a couple white people that were in it and they looked like dummies and funny thing is the president’s daughters like the show. So seriously quit making it a racist issue and look at the real picture!!! It’s great family show the deals with real teen issues not drugs not gangsters not criminals. Come on wake up. There’s bet but no wet! United Negro fund college no United white fund college. I’m Arab how many Arabs do you see in that show? how many Arabs United fund colleges are there….Quit trying to make it about your issues and think about the family’s that could spend family time together watching a clean show together…. my 6 daughters never ever one asked why there’s no Arabic girls dancing……. so keep your pity party to yourself!!!!! I feel sorry for the people around you! You sound like a whiny prejudice downer!!!! Ugh

• Jacqui lloyd says:

Either you are colour blind or just racist . There were black , white , Asian dancers at the school including families . I may be from the uk but this is the first dance sitcom that was fun , witty and did not require major sex scenes or guns , knives or god forbid swearing . Harmless and clean , it even touched on gay relationships . Maybe you should revisit the series and apologise

28. Romi says:

Love Bunheads and all involved. Please keep this show about the arts. Pretty please

29. Amy says:

So sad. Tragic for a show with such potential, great writing and talent. No ABC Family for me.

30. James says:

Hey ABC Family, I’m sure you’re playing wilfully ignorant here but Bunheads received a California tax credit/ 5 million dollars to help fund a ten episode second season of television.

Maybe renew it on the basis of that, it needing a proper ending and oh yeah, it being your BEST SHOW.

31. Boo-boo-bi-doo says:

Dude! Can’t they give it a little time? I swear, people have been spoiled ever since Lost and expect season 1 of any given show to be brilliant from the outset.
    TV shows need time to get their footing and grow! Honestly, GG’s season 1 is far from perfect, season 2 and 3 on the other hand veer towards perfection…. ok. I may be exaggerating a bit, but COME ON!!! We’ve already seen plenty of improvement in the latter half of the 1st season, let it be, let it grow!
    This show is charming, engaging and family-friendly. Had I not had Buffy and GG during my teens, I would have LOVED me some Bunheads.
    Idiots.

• Bear75 says:

THIS! :) Networks spend a lot of time and money trying to get us to invest in new shows and when we do, we’re just not rewarded any more. There have been so many shows over the last few years that have been cancelled after only 1 season, just when we really start to get involved in the plot lines and characters; leaving us hanging, without any resolution. Think of the great shows (that were always genius in my mind) but weren’t entirely on the money right away or drawing huge crowds and demo’s but just continually got better with age and had time to grow their relationships… by ‘new’ network standards these probably would have been cancelled; Friends, Buffy, Gilmore Girls, Seinfeld, The West Wing, Castle, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Family Guy, Blackadder and Firefly (oh wait! lol)

Truth is now, I’ll be unsure about trying out some of the new fall shows, in case I like them and they get cancelled. Unless of course, the networks start promising to give these shows a fair shout. I personally think that there should be at least 2 seasons to really give something a chance and always, ALWAYS a conclusion!

32. Please don’t cancel this show ABC Family. It is the best one on ABC Family. Twisted is ridiculous and just like every other show on there.

33. Billiam says:

Someone needs to start a Kickstarter project and help ABC Family fund season 2 of Bunheads. I’d donate $20. I’m sure others would too.

34. Alice says:

So disappointed! This show was great. I have never laughed so hard as at the sequence when Sasha thinks someone broke into her apartment.

35. Isacatfrisco says:

Very sad about this. Even with the long wait I was still hopeful-

36. Sarah says:

That’s too bad. I won’t say it’s the best show ever and it’s definitely no Gilmore Girls, but I enjoyed watching the first season and would certainly watch season two if they renewed it.

37. Larissa says:

NOOOO. This show is amazing!

38. Brandy says:

This is too bad but not surprising.I enjoyed season one.

39. Paul says:

This AV Club piece last week by Todd VanDerWerff is probably the best thing I’ve read about Bunheads, and something every person in the programming department at ABC Family should be forced to read: http://www.avclub.com/articles/hey-abc-family-just-renew-bunheads-already%2C100223/

40. Ellie says:

Just axe it ! Seriously, it’s at best an afternoon show : it’s witty but that’s not enough to make a good show imho, and it’s always remind me of the really bad season ending ASP gave us for GG before leaving the show…

• Billiam says:

I’m sure that the million+ who watched the show would disagree with you… and, I do and my family do. There is nothing else on ABC Family that I would trust my 11-year-old to watch.

41. Elle says:

Just freaking tell the public already! How many months is this?!?!

42. Jon says:

Need to save money? Get rid of the dance studio and focus on Sutton Foster.

43. Fed Up says:

I think ABC Family should be fined a HUGE amount of $$ for refusing to use the wonderful tax credit INCENTIVE that should have made it easier to resume filming immediately!

What a bunch of penny-pinching out-of-touch executives. Do they really think that “Twisted” is great television???

44. Et al says:

ABC Family truly is the most ridiculous network on television. There is no point in watching their shows because with rare exceptions (Greek, Secret life) they are uncerimoniously dumped.

• Christy says:

Pretty much. I think I’ll wait until they get to a 2nd or 3rd season and then catch up before starting any new ABCFamily shows.

45. kp says:

Has anyone started a petition yet?

• Chris says:

LOL, that’s a total waste of time! Petitions are worth about as much as dog crap.

• B says:

Amen to that. It’s gotten so easy to start an online petition, few of them have any meaning or impact anymore. Every little decision made that someone doesn’t like results in petitions these days!

46. ABC Family of Misers says:

Start a petition to revise the CA Tax Credit law to include punishing cruel selfish networks like ABC Family who receive a highly-desired grant and then WASTE IT while they worry endlessly about saving even more $.

47. Midori says:

If it’s not making money than it’s gone, it’s that simple.

• The Arts Matter! says:

Hmmmm…not a fan of promoting the Arts much? Might want to brush up on your grammar as well while you’re crunching those numbers for ABC Family.

• Fran says:

Hey! It has nothing to with the arts! How do u know they aren’t a fan of that? The truth is that it IS about money. If it costs too much to make and the ratings aren’t holding up, it will get canceled. Trust me, I loved the show and it sucks it was canceled. But there was nothing wrong with their comment and their one grammar mistake. N

• Dav says:

Television has never been about the Arts. TV is a business and always has been. Stuff that gets good ratings and makes money stick around and stuff that does poorly gets the boot. That’s how business works.

• Bill says:

>>Television has never been about the Arts<<

Yet, all of the networks lean toward the liberal view when it comes to politics… Aren't the liberals that "appreciate" the arts more than the rest of us??

48. Craig Best says:

The only upside (if Bunheads is canceled) is Amy can then get to work on the long rumored Gilmore Girls movie.

49. Elizabeth says:

First The Lying Game and now Bunheads. Looks like I will be done with ABC Family the day Pretty Little Liars ends.