Comic-Con

Wonderland @ Comic-Con: Lost's Naveen Andrews Joins Once Spin-Off as Jafar

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Comic-Con Season 1 SpoilersLooks like Alice is about to get a little, er, Lost in Wonderland.

RELATED | ABC’s Once Upon a Time Spin-Off Grows in Size

Andrews — who currently does not appear in the pilot presentation ABC's Reckless Spoilerswill debut in the first episode as the “very, very, very evil villain,” shared co-creator Edward Kitsis, adding that their take on Jafar will be “very frightening.”

“I hope it will be something like you’ve never seen before,” said Andrews.

In other news from the panel…

HOME SWEET HOME | The Con crowd was treated to a preview of the pilot presentation, which kicks off with a familiar, destructive Once Upon a Time scene. Viewers will first meet two Wonderland characters in Storybrooke – and one of them has been there for a bit of time, it appears. “We will find out the Knave’s backstory leads to the Enchanted forest,” teased Kitsis after the screening.

RELATED | Fall TV: ABC Premiere Dates Include Two-Hour Grey’s, October Launch for Wonderland

ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER OPENS | As opposed to the mothership series, which is intended as a sprawling, multi-year story, the mission of Wonderland is “to tell within this first season, a complete, close-ended story,” said co-creator Adam Horowitz. “By the end of the Season 1, this particular story will be concluded,” and a new adventure will begin in Season 2 with the same cast. Since there’s only so many episodes to start and finish the story, Wonderland hopes to be “all killer, no filler,” added Kitsis. All of the questions you’re wondering about will be answered, including “why Alice went to Wonderland, who her father is, how she ended up in that insane asylum.”

THE PAST UNCOVERED | Like with Once, flashbacks will reveal the characters’ backstories, including that of newbie the Knave of Hearts and The Red Queen, who makes a brief but memorable first impression in the pilot presentation. Her use of magic “makes me wonder if she spent any time with the Queen of Hearts in Wonderland,” hinted Kitsis.

ALICE, ACTION HEROINE | Remember how take-action Snow White was in the Once pilot? Alice might give her a run for her money. Kitsis had this to say about a particularly buttkicking scene: “Was anything cooler than when she took that guy down with his legs and broke his neck?” Yes, this girl doesn’t need any help taking care of herself.

FAMILIAR FACES | “I would be disappointed if we didn’t see the Queen of Hearts at some point,” said Kitsis. However, her cohort the Mad Hatter might be harder to get back because of his portrayer Sebastian Stan’s busy movie schedule. Joked Kitsis: “I hear he’s going to be here [at Comic-Con] for 20 minutes, and there’s a part of me that wants to kidnap him and bring him back to Vancouver.” After a fan asked if we’ll see the March Hare or the Doormouse, Kitsis replied, “I have a feeling we might see both of those people or at least hear about them.”

Comments (18)

• YES!!! We’ve all been suggesting this ever since the show started!

Comment by Zach – July 20, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To add to this… I hope we see him on the regular show sometime soon.

Comment by zacqua10 – July 20, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too, very much so.

Comment by Ben – July 21, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so impressed by the preview! Already loving the show! But my Thursday is so OVERCROWDED ! Just loving it!

Comment by Maki – July 20, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great preview to the Wonderland season.. And both Once panels were awesome. Can’t wait for the fall!

Comment by DarkDefender – July 20, 2013 12:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll probably let this series play out for a couple weeks before I start to catch up because there is just so much on Thursdays to watch as it is. The preview doesn’t do much for me which is why im in no rush to watch but I really do like Once Upon a Time.

Comment by Jared – July 20, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve seen the entire first season of OUAT and some of the second season, and I still don’t know what the show is about and what story is it trying to tell. Now, we have Jaffar (from Aladin) in the Wonderland spin-off. And he’s a genie? What!?

Comment by Justin – July 20, 2013 01:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well its about a bunch of different things. Primarily, its about fairytale characters finding their way back home after the curse and dealing with the consequences of it. But its about larger themes of responsibility, honour, family, redemption, love, ect. I dont really see where the confusion is.
      As for Jafar, the plan will be for these two worlds to collide at some point, Jafar fits right in. Nothing is really as it seems in the OUAT universe.

Comment by mia – July 22, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who said anything about Jafar being a genie?

Comment by Davey Elmer – July 20, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Naveen Andrews, whose last major stateside TV role came on ABC’s Lost, is joining the network’s Once Upon a Time spinoff as genie Jafar, it was announced during the show’s panel on Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con.” I think is awesome, since he ended up a genie at the end of the first Aladdin movie.

Comment by Katie – July 20, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m not entirely sure whether I believe this ‘genie’ business when it comes to Jafar and the Once-verse quite yet, mainly because there’s nothing within any of the articles I’ve seen that refer to the character as being a genie that actually would explain how that conclusion was reached other than one statement from Adam and Eddy concerning Jafar and Cyrus where they talk about using flashbacks to explain how Cyrus ended up as a genie and why Jafar is in Wonderland.

Comment by Davey Elmer – July 20, 2013 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wonder if they’re gonna have a Sidney-Genie/Jafar backstory. Just to see how Sidney-Genie ended up in the Enchanted Forest and how Jafar ended up in Wonderland. Kinda makes us ask the question??? So if those two ended up in different realms of the Oncer-universe, where are Aladdin & Jasmine?! I wonder, if they decide to bring them in later on, but on Oncer and not on OUaTiW. Could Aladdin’s Dad Kazeem, The King of Thieves have something to with King Midas’ golden hand?! But I will wait until I see a scene with Giancarlo & Naveen with their backstory of Aladdin fairytale. I KNEW IT!!! I knew, Adam & Eddy would bring in Andrews as Jafar. They all seem to bringing back Ex-Lost members. What’s next? a Benjiman Limus scheme, now bring in Michael Emerson. I wanna see how A&E make that work.. if only, which Disney character?! Ooo, Prince John from Robin Hood or Hades. Or James Woods could return to play as Hades in OUAT. That would be awesome.. the real Hades on Oncers. Meaning James Woods as Hades.

Comment by Nicolye – July 22, 2013 06:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! Watching him as Akbari in Sinbad, I got those Aladdin feels bigtime. I’m in. I will watch just for him. :-)

Comment by kirads09 – July 20, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • As long as they cast Sendhil Ramamurthy as Aladdin on one of the Once incarnations, I’m good.

Comment by JCK – July 20, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wher can i watch the preview

Comment by Zaid Alvarado – July 20, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damn I guess I’ll actually have to watch this now.

Comment by Lauren – July 20, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well Jafar did get tricked into becoming a genie at the end of Aladdin, so it makes sense to me if this takes place after Aladdin in the Once-verse.

Comment by Mikael – July 23, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post