Comic-Con

Wonderland @ Comic-Con: Lost's Naveen Andrews Joins Once Spin-Off as Jafar

Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Comic-Con Season 1 SpoilersLooks like Alice is about to get a little, er, Lost in Wonderland.

RELATED | ABC’s Once Upon a Time Spin-Off Grows in Size

Andrews — who currently does not appear in the pilot presentation ABC's Reckless Spoilerswill debut in the first episode as the “very, very, very evil villain,” shared co-creator Edward Kitsis, adding that their take on Jafar will be “very frightening.”

“I hope it will be something like you’ve never seen before,” said Andrews.

In other news from the panel…

HOME SWEET HOME | The Con crowd was treated to a preview of the pilot presentation, which kicks off with a familiar, destructive Once Upon a Time scene. Viewers will first meet two Wonderland characters in Storybrooke – and one of them has been there for a bit of time, it appears. “We will find out the Knave’s backstory leads to the Enchanted forest,” teased Kitsis after the screening.

RELATED | Fall TV: ABC Premiere Dates Include Two-Hour Grey’s, October Launch for Wonderland

ONE DOOR CLOSES, ANOTHER OPENS | As opposed to the mothership series, which is intended as a sprawling, multi-year story, the mission of Wonderland is “to tell within this first season, a complete, close-ended story,” said co-creator Adam Horowitz. “By the end of the Season 1, this particular story will be concluded,” and a new adventure will begin in Season 2 with the same cast. Since there’s only so many episodes to start and finish the story, Wonderland hopes to be “all killer, no filler,” added Kitsis. All of the questions you’re wondering about will be answered, including “why Alice went to Wonderland, who her father is, how she ended up in that insane asylum.”

THE PAST UNCOVERED | Like with Once, flashbacks will reveal the characters’ backstories, including that of newbie the Knave of Hearts and The Red Queen, who makes a brief but memorable first impression in the pilot presentation. Her use of magic “makes me wonder if she spent any time with the Queen of Hearts in Wonderland,” hinted Kitsis.

ALICE, ACTION HEROINE | Remember how take-action Snow White was in the Once pilot? Alice might give her a run for her money. Kitsis had this to say about a particularly buttkicking scene: “Was anything cooler than when she took that guy down with his legs and broke his neck?” Yes, this girl doesn’t need any help taking care of herself.

FAMILIAR FACES | “I would be disappointed if we didn’t see the Queen of Hearts at some point,” said Kitsis. However, her cohort the Mad Hatter might be harder to get back because of his portrayer Sebastian Stan’s busy movie schedule. Joked Kitsis: “I hear he’s going to be here [at Comic-Con] for 20 minutes, and there’s a part of me that wants to kidnap him and bring him back to Vancouver.” After a fan asked if we’ll see the March Hare or the Doormouse, Kitsis replied, “I have a feeling we might see both of those people or at least hear about them.”

1. Zach says:

YES!!! We’ve all been suggesting this ever since the show started!

2. Maki says:

I’m so impressed by the preview! Already loving the show! But my Thursday is so OVERCROWDED ! Just loving it!

3. DarkDefender says:

Great preview to the Wonderland season.. And both Once panels were awesome. Can’t wait for the fall!

4. Jared says:

I’ll probably let this series play out for a couple weeks before I start to catch up because there is just so much on Thursdays to watch as it is. The preview doesn’t do much for me which is why im in no rush to watch but I really do like Once Upon a Time.

5. Justin says:

I’ve seen the entire first season of OUAT and some of the second season, and I still don’t know what the show is about and what story is it trying to tell. Now, we have Jaffar (from Aladin) in the Wonderland spin-off. And he’s a genie? What!?

• mia says:

well its about a bunch of different things. Primarily, its about fairytale characters finding their way back home after the curse and dealing with the consequences of it. But its about larger themes of responsibility, honour, family, redemption, love, ect. I dont really see where the confusion is.
      As for Jafar, the plan will be for these two worlds to collide at some point, Jafar fits right in. Nothing is really as it seems in the OUAT universe.

6. Davey Elmer says:

Who said anything about Jafar being a genie?

• Katie says:

“Naveen Andrews, whose last major stateside TV role came on ABC’s Lost, is joining the network’s Once Upon a Time spinoff as genie Jafar, it was announced during the show’s panel on Saturday at San Diego Comic-Con.” I think is awesome, since he ended up a genie at the end of the first Aladdin movie.

• Davey Elmer says:

I’m not entirely sure whether I believe this ‘genie’ business when it comes to Jafar and the Once-verse quite yet, mainly because there’s nothing within any of the articles I’ve seen that refer to the character as being a genie that actually would explain how that conclusion was reached other than one statement from Adam and Eddy concerning Jafar and Cyrus where they talk about using flashbacks to explain how Cyrus ended up as a genie and why Jafar is in Wonderland.

• Nicolye says:

I wonder if they’re gonna have a Sidney-Genie/Jafar backstory. Just to see how Sidney-Genie ended up in the Enchanted Forest and how Jafar ended up in Wonderland. Kinda makes us ask the question??? So if those two ended up in different realms of the Oncer-universe, where are Aladdin & Jasmine?! I wonder, if they decide to bring them in later on, but on Oncer and not on OUaTiW. Could Aladdin’s Dad Kazeem, The King of Thieves have something to with King Midas’ golden hand?! But I will wait until I see a scene with Giancarlo & Naveen with their backstory of Aladdin fairytale. I KNEW IT!!! I knew, Adam & Eddy would bring in Andrews as Jafar. They all seem to bringing back Ex-Lost members. What’s next? a Benjiman Limus scheme, now bring in Michael Emerson. I wanna see how A&E make that work.. if only, which Disney character?! Ooo, Prince John from Robin Hood or Hades. Or James Woods could return to play as Hades in OUAT. That would be awesome.. the real Hades on Oncers. Meaning James Woods as Hades.

7. kirads09 says:

YES! Watching him as Akbari in Sinbad, I got those Aladdin feels bigtime. I’m in. I will watch just for him. :-)

8. Zaid Alvarado says:

Wher can i watch the preview

9. Lauren says:

Damn I guess I’ll actually have to watch this now.

10. Mikael says:

Well Jafar did get tricked into becoming a genie at the end of Aladdin, so it makes sense to me if this takes place after Aladdin in the Once-verse.