Fall TV Preview

The Carrie Diaries Scoop: Meet Young Samantha!

Lindsey Gort The Carrie DiariesOh honey, The Carrie Diaries has found its Samantha Jones.

The CW’s frothy ’80s-set prequel to Sex and the City has cast newcomer Lindsey Gort (who’ll be seen in the upcoming Denzel Washington-Mark Wahlberg flick 2 Guns) as the titular character’s outrageous life-long gal pal.

The show’s producers are describing the introduction of Samantha’s character during Season 2 as follows: “Through a surprising connection, our young Carrie Bradshaw will meet one of the most important people in her life this season in a role made iconic by Kim Cattrall: Samantha Jones, a ballsy, beautiful and sexy young woman from the panhandle of Florida who has made her way — and already a name for herself — in the rock ’n’ roll scene of 1980s NYC.”

At the network’s upfront presentation in May, producers revealed that Samantha is actually a cousin to Carrie Diaries‘ mean girl (and short-term love interest for Walt) Donna LaDonna.

“I’m really, really excited,” titular star AnnaSophia Robb told TVLine at the time. “I think it’s going to be so much fun. I’m looking forward to seeing where that goes.”

Samantha is the dramedy’s second call-out to the stiletto-heeled original: TCD‘s first season finale name-checked Stanford Blatch (who we know becomes Carrie’s gay bestie) as Bennet’s club-promoter roommate.

Excited to see Samantha become a part of the Carrie Diaries‘ world? Glad to see a fresh face in the role? Any thoughts on early hijinks for the duo? Sound off below!

Comments (26)

• So happy the CW gave The Carrie Diaries a second season. This series really grew on me and im really looking forward to see where the writers take this show in season 2.

Comment by Jared – July 20, 2013 12:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I call a weekly 0.1 rating! Remember my words…

Comment by Matt – July 20, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • hmmmn I don’t know. Never watched that girl. I believe in tje writers the mad a perfect choice with Anna Sophia. So I doubt they will go bad here. Let’s how S2 will develope.

Comment by Maki – July 20, 2013 01:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sex and the City in it’s heyday was evocative in that portrayed women as sexually empowered and it was poignant in the way it portrayed the modern culture of friends being the family you choose as opposed to the one you were born into.

But this stuff going on with “Carrie Diaries” is just milking a dying cow. Someone call in PETA, ’cause it is getting ridiculous. I am not one of those crazies that get made whenever an actor takes over a beloved character in a remake. In fact, I was grateful when Henry Cavill came aboard to wash away the bad, cartoonish Superman that was Bryan Silver/Brandon Routh’s contribution to the mythos.

But really, what’s next? Is the great great grandmother of Charlotte’s dog Liz Taylor going to show up?

Comment by Anon – July 20, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SATC did break a lot of barriers, but TCD can’t just keep telling the same stories, if anything the sexuality of women has become hypersexualized now on tv in a way that no longer represents women’s identities. With TCD, they are telling young women’s stories and its totally applicable and relatable…and in its own way being provocative

Comment by liz – July 20, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CD is actually pretty great. I’m not sure what you were watching.

Comment by Temperence – July 20, 2013 08:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • CD is doing a great job telling original stories. Walt’s story is probably one of the most compelling stories I’ve seen on TV in a long time.

Comment by Ryan – July 23, 2013 04:04 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I totally agree with this.

Comment by Jen – July 23, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Lindsey Gort is a musician of sorts, who kicked up a little fuss during the auditions of American Idol back in 2003. She claimed to be a fortune teller and Tarot reader.

Comment by HAP – July 20, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Do I detect a little jealousy, HAP? Obviously you have no idea the talent this actress has! You are making the same stupid comments on several of these Carrie Diaries postings about something you know nothing about.

Comment by Hates haters – July 20, 2013 09:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What is this?? Carrie and Samantha met in New York when they were already adults and not teenagers! This stupid show needs to stop ruinig Sex and the city by inventing stuff and rewrite history, like the fact that Carrie has a sister and is raised by her dad while in the original show her dad left when she was 3, which makes her difficulties with men totally logical, so please ‘Carrie diaries’ stop ruining all this!

Comment by Fanny – July 20, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You do realize this TV show is based on the BOOKS and not on SATC’s effed up mythology, right?

Comment by Lauren – July 20, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Thank you! And SaTC was based off of one book, the show took a lot of creative license as they continued past the end of said book. So if you wanna be mad at the direction TCD is headed take it up with Ms. Bushnell who wrote TCD, as is it is her who decided to make the changes in the character’s back story which was her right!

Comment by alison – July 20, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No one is saying they won’t meet in NY. In the 2nd movie it was stayted she met her while Sam was bartending nothing else. (I didn’t read the books so I don’t know.) So I believe Donna will go out with Carry and Walt to the bar where her Cousin Samantha is working.

Comment by Maki – July 20, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just a point of contention, but plenty of women have perfectly healthy relationships with their dads and STILL have problems with romantic relationships with men. There doesn’t need to be any “logic” to it.

Also, yeah SatC the show is where stuff was invented, so reel it in.

Comment by Emmapants – July 23, 2013 08:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • In the book Carrie meets Samantha when she moves to New York. Donna LaDonna tells her that she has a cousin who lives in New York and gives Carrie her information and they become roommates.

Comment by Kimberly – July 20, 2013 03:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anna Lynn McCord would have been perfect as Samantha.

Comment by Monica – July 20, 2013 03:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Annalynne McCord & AnnaSophia Robb is not a great match. They would look awkward together, and Annalynne would just overpower AnnaSophia. Lindsey Gort is great choice for Samantha.

Comment by jessa – July 21, 2013 04:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Looking forward to this!! Loved the first season A LOT and now Sam!

Comment by liz – July 20, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • she looks like her!

Comment by EveatEden – July 20, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Lindsey is going to rock the part as Samantha in this ! They made a great choice and I’m excited to see her in action !

Comment by Jbb – July 20, 2013 08:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for this show to cone back! I find it totally relatable and positive, despite the characters flaws. My only wish us that they get rid of those awful wigs on Carrie/AnnaSophia and use her real hair.

Comment by Saabgirlatx – July 20, 2013 11:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would love to see this show reach the point where Carrie has all 4 girls in her life…it would be interesting to see the choices they made when they were younger that made them the women they became later on. It sucks that they are awhile from reaching that point. The Carrie Diaries made Carrie so young….it would have been better if they made her a senior in HS on the verge of moving to NYC.

Comment by Chris – July 21, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sorry, I wish the show well, but I just can’t get into it…Love, love, love my reruns and the 2 movies. I would watch a 3rd if it was made…I don’t care what the critics said about the last movie, I enjoyed every minute. Give me some more of Carrie and “Mr. Big” and the rest of the girls…I wouldn’t mind if they threw Aidan in the mix. Love them all!!

Comment by MyMarieMia – July 23, 2013 12:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • May I simply say what a relief to uncover a person that genuinely
    knows what they are talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to
    bring an issue to light and make it important.
    A lot more people have to read this and understand this side
    of your story. I can’t believe you are not more popular
    because you certainly have the gift.

Comment by dialog:close – January 6, 2014 10:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post