Person of Interest: Amy Acker Now Series Regular

Person of Interest Amy Acker RegularAmy Acker is planting roots at Person of Interest, where she has been promoted to series regular status for Season 3, it was revealed Saturday at Comic-Con.

Previously at the CBS Upfronts, it was announced that the drama had upgraded Sarah Shahi, who plays Agent Shaw, to series regular.

A Whedonverse alum, Acker recently told TVLine that she expected to return in some capacity — she just wasn’t sure to what degree.

“I was really happy that I got the phone call [from The Machine] at the end [of the finale], so I feel like they have to at least bring me back,” she said. “The great thing about science fiction shows is I really don’t know even what the character is going to be [at any moment]. I feel like I took such a crazy journey [as Root] this year, learning all this stuff I did in the finale about The Machine and Harold. And now that she’s had lots of therapy, we’ll see!”

POI returns Sept. 24, now airing Tuesdays at 10/9c. Check out this Comic-Con trailer, juxtaposing you’re-being-watched art with you’re-being-watched reality:

1. Katie_Mead says:

Excellent news. ‘Nuff said.

2. Thiago says:

Yesss :D!!

3. Ari says:

I don’t watch the show but good for the fans who do! Amy Acker is so phenomenal!

4. I would have been happy with just Sarah Shahi being made a series regular. But this? I am excited to see where season three goes now. Now, what about beefing up Fusco’s role? Am I the only one that noticed he wasn’t in the finale?

• liz says:

I noticed too. And missed him. I like Fusco and really care about his path for redemption.

• Daven C says:

I love both actresses, but they shouldn’t be regulars. THe writers aren’t even using Fusco and Carter properly, now they’re taking screen time from them for these ladies. Not cool.

5. Hamza says:

Great news! Now we kind of have a proper baddie for the season!

6. Cecily says:

Ugh. She is the worst. Her nasally, annoying voice, her complete LAMENESS as a villain, and the arc that WILL NEVER END. I am so disappointed.

• tivochick says:

Totally agree with you!

• Midori says:

I have seen 2 episodes of the show, she was in the last one I watch just the other week and I couldn’t stand her. Her character seemed like one that would be good to use 2-3-4 times in one season and then get her while bigger fish are around.

• Can we all please stop publicly hating people based on innocuous things beyond anyone’s control? I’m so tired of reading comments where someone has to get crapped on because their voice isn’t your favorite thing (really?) or their outfits are weird or anything just stupid and pointless like that. I’m not asking you to join a fan club or go back in time to appear on that show Haters, but just keep your senseless negativity to yourself. It makes me rage.

• Dart says:

Rage all you want (cute really), everything about her is annoying. I hate Root and always will. Your whining is pathetic. Sorry, but not everyone shares your opinion. Boo hoo fanboy.

• Patrick says:

This is the set up for a spin off, I bet. I remember one of the media outlets saying that CBS was praying for the cancelation of whatever show Shahi used to be on so that CBS could give her a spin off. This year will be about setting up Shahi and Acker as a team on their own spinoff next season. The CSI’s are dying, and the NCIS spinoff machine may be done. POI moved to Tuesdays next year. That would set up the spin off in that timeslot in 14-15, while POI moves again (probably back to Thursday or 10 on Mon or Wed).

Shahi and Acker are so alike. They are the opposite sides of the same coin. Both ruthless and great at their jobs, and both completely in thrall to the glory that is The Machine. There is something there.

• exfromtheleft says:

great observation since i don’t see how this could be 6 persons show with enough screen time for Carter, Fusco, Reese, Root, Shaw & Finch!

• johnhelvete says:

I don’t think Root or Shaw will be in every episode. Root will most likely only be in the serialized episodes for example.

• brenna says:

I hope the new characters don’t take too much time. I really love Reese and Finch, first and foremost, and really enjoy Carter and Fusco.

• Linda says:

Oh I agree!! I don’t like her as an actress and I really think she pulls the show down. I love the show but don’t enjoy the episodes she’s in. When Human Target added more regular females to the mix, it was the end of the show. I hope that doesn’t happen to PoI.

• disappointedfan says:

I agree. I miss Carter and Fusco. I totally think that Sarah’s role is lame and it’s turning me off watching the show. I do like Amy Acker’s role very very much. I guess IMO Sarah just isn’t believable. Also I resent her role taking so much screen time and cutting into Carter and Fusco’s time. This show will go the way of Human Target. It tanked when they introduced that annoying female “boss” Indira Varma.

Why does TV always like to mess with a hit show?

If they don’t cut out Sarah’s character, maybe an occasional role several times a season, but NOT as a regular, this hit show will last maybe another season and that’s it. Sarah’s acting is just not “meaty” enough for Person of Interest! It’s watering it down.

Someone at CBS needs to wake up!

• Darren says:

Agreed, I won’t watch the show anymore….she just annoys me to much!! Shaw should have killed her at end of Season 2.

• llisa66 says:

I cant stand hervoice either, it sounds fake! It gets under my skin.

• Rootannoying says:

I agree immensely!!! Casting her for that role and keeping her on for so long wasn’t a good idea. The actress would be better caster on a sitcom.

7. Joe says:

Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!

8. J says:

POI…man, season 2 was such a highs and lows experience. The good stuff was SO good, some of the best, smartest genre stuff I’ve ever seen on TV. The bad stuff…well, let’s just say that POI knows what it cares about, and CBS-style episodics and vamping are clearly not something the writers love beyond filling an episode count.

Considering, though, that the best stuff was at the end, and that the big team-up with Shaw and Root was part of what made it so great, I love, love, LOVE this.

Final thought: Anyone else a little surprised she took the regular contract, when her reviews in Much Ado seem to have her poised for a big film breakout?

9. Tav says:

Have heard good things about POI, but before there were just “too many d1cks on the dance floor.” With Sarah and Amy’s promotions I just might have to check it out.

• Temperence says:

The lady (Tanji as Carter) that is on the show is awesome enough to count for a couple of normal cast members! Really, there were only 4 characters, one of which is female, so it wasn’t really off in the first place. Add two more women, and it’s female heavy!

• dotti says:

Interesting math. 1 out of 4 women = “almost even,” 3 out 6 = “female heavy”. Personally, I think its great – a series where more than 1 female character is a) interesting, b) independent, c) not the wife/daughter/girlfriend is refreshing. If they get them talking to each other they might even pass the Bechdel test.

10. Nick C says:

She is such a great actress. I’ve been a fan since Angel and watching her go from sweet Fred to cold and powerful Illyria amazes me to this day. Very smart of POI.

11. Syvyn11 says:

Good for Sarah and Amy. Both are good actresses who deserve a shot at a regular series.

I think Amy will be cast as The Wasp in the next Avengers movie. Whedon always takes care of his people.

12. El S Boy says:

OH HELL YEAH !!!

13. jackmama311 says:

i’m smitten with Root.

14. liz says:

Awesome!!!!

15. Shashwat says:

Wish they would make Sarah Shahi a regular!!!

16. Holly says:

This is excellent news!

17. Joey says:

Well there go my hopes of her becoming a regular fixture on a show I actually watch. D:

18. Mayra says:

When I saw this I was like “what about Sarah Shahi?”, and then I read that they’re both series regulars now and everything is beautiful and nothing hurts, haha.

• Monica says:

This character is ridiculous. I used to really like Person of Interest but I can’t watch it anymore with that character, and I really liked the addition of Shaw.

19. trev says:

Amy Acker is so perfect! I love her! hands down my favorite Whedonverse actress!

20. Nope says:

Heh… “planting roots”…

21. meatwad says:

love the show, love Sara Shahi and was excited when they made her a regular. I like that they are keeping the show fresh with changes and I like the Root character. been a fan of Amy since she was known as Fred but I think the main cast is starting to get a little crowded. I don’t see how her character deserves that much screen time

22. RyanC says:

Ahh my fan-love of Amy Acker knows no bounds. I started watching Alias based purely on knowing she was a regular in season 5, I have no problem starting watching Person of Interest based purely on knowing she’ll be a regular in season 3 (along with guest appearances elsewhere)

23. Ahhhh!!! another show I have to start watching… loved Amy’s ‘the truth’ lines. Love her acting ;)

24. sladewilson says:

I just want to see the official Shaw meets Carter moment and then have them on a mission together. I’m geeking out just thinking about it…

25. DanielleZ says:

Love Person of Interest. Happy to hear Amy Acker and Sarah Shahi are now series regulars. Root and Shaw are terrific characters on the show. I was worried a bit about what would happen to Taraji P. Henson after not seeing any sign of her yesterday at Comic-Con but am relieved to learn she had another commitment. Carter is also a terrific character. Doesn’t sound like Paige Turco will be back since she is on The Hundred. Too bad. Still excited about Season 3!

• Kel says:

They did say on the panel that Zoe WILL be back next season because she’s the fixer and “sh*t needs to get fixed”

26. JBC says:

Honestly don’t think they needed 2 more regulars. Recurring is good enough. They didn’t use the Carter and Fusco characters hardly enough last season. I hope they can balance it all out. Sarah S. and Amy A. are good actresses, but just don’t know how they will fit Shaw and Root in for a ton of episodes. I guess I liked the way they did individual cases of the week more than the syfy. Love Jim C. and Michael E. and have been a fan from the first show. Hope they can continue bringing the goods.

27. Sarah says:

I really like Amy Acker as an actress, but I HATE Root. I am done with her. I was hoping to see much less of her next season. Ugh.

28. A fan says:

Love Amy Acker and I’m excited to see more of the machine “unplugged”.

29. marie m. says:

Watched a rerun of POI with John and Zoe pretending to be a married couple and thought that it would be interesting to watch them become an item. They have good chemistry and seems the attraction is there….. Zoe is as mysterious as John so can they end up together?

30. yaxboy says:

It’s a movie i love soo soo much with carefuly celected characters unlike the anoying root,let reese get rid of her in the next season.Am from nigeria so i may not know much about CBS stuff.
    ”YOU ARE BEING WHATCHED” is something i love to hear. Am waiting for the NEXT SEASON of ………..POI…………

31. Cathy says:

I am absolutely NOT a fan of hers. I am so glad when she is NOT in the episode.

32. James says:

It’s nice she acts regular,i got no problem with that so long it’s still the interesting POI.

33. stool says:

I google “”Person of Interest” “root” “Annoying” to find this page.
    Yes, Amy Acker doesn’t fit in this role.
    Root is a very appealing role and it must be smart, abstruse and cute.
    She really don’t understand how to play a genius.
    Amy always smile without reason, speaks shivery, stares all the time.
    Logan Pierce knows what is the meaning of a genius, remember the billionaire in season 2 episode 14.

• hoog says:

I did the same thing Stool. She just works on my nerves. The role itself is a nice twist just played by the wrong person. I really like Fusco, to bad he doesnt have a bigger part in it.

34. Owen Thomas says:

Root is an interesting character but I don’t like the Amy Acker version of it. I feel like Shaw and wan’t to kick the c**p out of her. I question the strategy of adding new regular characters, there are more than enough now. I think the best addition was Bear, and his role should become bigger.

35. Kevin says:

I like Root and Amy she is the Best character after Reese. LOVE HER she should be featured more

36. Alice herson says:

How could they kill off Carter and keep this annoying character with the high tinny voice? She is so unbelievable! Otherwise the other characters are excellent- get rid of her.