Comic-Con

Once Upon a Time @ Comic-Con: A 'Frightening' Pan, Ariel's Debut, Killer Queen and More Scoop

Once Upon a Time Comic-Con 2013 Season 3 SpoilersAriel has arrived!

The red-coiffed mermaid made her much-anticipated Once Upon a Time debut during the ABC drama’s Comic-Con panel on Saturday — but that wasn’t the only splash made during the session.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time in Wonderland Spoilers — Lost‘s Naveen Andrews Cast as Jafar

Here’s everything you need to know about Peter Pan, Neverland, Tinker Bell and more ahead in Once Upon a Time Season 3.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Season 3 Spoilers — Giancarlo Esposito Returns

PART OF YOUR WORLD | Series cocreators Eddy Kitsis and Adam Horowitz closed out the Once panel with an exclusive sneak peek featuring none other than The Little Mermaid herself, Ariel. Who will be portraying the water-dweller in question has yet to be revealed, but the clip showcased a mysterious being sneaking up on a dwarf, stealing the fork (!!) out of his lunchbox and vanishing into the ocean. Then, with the flick of a glistening fin, the redhead revealed herself and swam away.

OFF TO NEVERLAND | As Once fans know well, the fantastical series is on its way to Peter Pan’s hometown in Season 3. “We will be seeing a lot of Neverland and [some of its] different areas.” Kitsis teased of the journey. “Some, of course, will be those you remember from the book… It’s a place where imagination comes from, and anything can happen.”

GREEN WITH EVIL? | “Peter Pan has a complicated motivation,” Horowitz revealed. “It’s a little different than you’ve seen before.” Added Kitsis: “He might be frightening. To some people.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Makes Michael Raymond-James a Series Regular for Season 3

SOME PIXIE DUST | Peter Pan’s trusty fairy sidekick will be making an appearance as well. “It’s taking the [Tinkerbell] icon and putting our spin on it,” Horowitz shared. “How we introduce her and who she is [will] hopefully be surprising. We’re going to find that she has a surprising connection to someone at this table” – and it’s not the obvious, Captain Hook.

KILLER QUEEN | “My favorite kill is coming up in Season 3,” Lana Parrilla teased with an Evil Queen-esque laugh. “It really is.”

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop on Regina’s Love Life, and More

THE BELLE OF STORYBROOKE | There’s “a lot in store for Belle” back in Storybrooke this season. Said Kitsis, “What’s happening back in Storybrooke and what’s happening in Neverland [will end up] connecting in a surprising way.” As for Belle and Rumpelstiltskin’s future, the EP mused: “The question I’m wondering is: Will these two ever be reunited? Will they find their happy ending?”

Watch a Season 3 teaser reel here:

Comments (41)

• It’s probably Neal who has a connection to Tink, but that still seems too obvious, maybe it is Snow or Charming… I’m excited for Ariel, though I wonder since the teaser was in Storybrooke that means she won’t be in Neverland…

Comment by Mike R. – July 20, 2013 12:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably not considering the teaser for Hook at last comic-con

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Only reason for the teaser being in Storybrooke is they only started filming the new season this last Monday. Not really enough time to get some new footage in there.

Comment by Deej – July 20, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have to agree with you, if you can remember back in season 2 as a kid Neal was on Capt. Hook’s ship and the lost boys took him back to Neverland, that’s how he knew how to drive Capt. Hook’s ship back to Storybrooke. So I’m sure Neal has some connection with Tink.

Comment by Jill M. – August 2, 2013 08:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish they would tell fairytale stories or do twists or SOMETHING rather than have everything be directly out of the movies.

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 12:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who says there won’t be a twist, and I’d say they haven’t done anything exactly like the movies, Snow is not even comparable, Rumple is the beast, Te closest it has been to the movies is Cinderella.

Comment by Mike R. – July 20, 2013 12:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, that “movies” comment was incredibly confusing.

Comment by Lauren – July 20, 2013 12:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • So you’re saying Rufio isn’t going to be cast? And people wouldn’t throw a fit if Ariel wasn’t a straight, red-haired white girl?

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • So then why is Ariel stealing a fork? Why is Rufio being cast?

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The clip of Ariel stealing the fork is just like the clip of Hook taking back his well…hook in the preview they showed of him breaking into Gold’s shop… it was just a teaser to say “hey look who is coming” not an actual scene that will be occurring.

Comment by Cory Myers – July 20, 2013 10:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Wish already fulfilled. They’ve twisted most every story so far.

Comment by Melanie – July 20, 2013 01:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I wish. So freaking cliched I can’t even deal with it. They’ve thrown in a bunch of crap that doesn’t make sense to be sure, but there isn’t anything that makes it genuinely DIFFERENT. The characters look like the movies, they always fall in love with the same people, etc etc. Not really very many twists at all.

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The fact that many of these fairy tale characters are intertwined with one another is more than enough proof that this show doesn’t just stick to the movie plots. Sydney Glass is the genie from Aladdin and the mirror from Snow White. Rumple is the beast from Beauty and the Beast. He also has some role in practically every story they’ve shown. Red Riding Hood is also the Wolf. The Queen of Hearts from Wonderland is the mother of the Evil Queen from Snow White. Snow having a fling with Lancelot. Gus from Cinderella being a human being rather than a mouse. Frankenstein and Evil Queen interactions. The list goes on and on. They do make characters different. Each of these characters have many layers. And an upcoming example of a new twist on a character is having Peter Pan be evil bad guy and also how Ariel and Tinkerbell’s stories will soon be intertwining with other characters. I don’t understand your objection to them casting fairy tale characters from the actual stories/movies like Rufio, etc. Why on earth would they cast non-relevant characters to the story? A huge part of this show is watching our favourite beloved characters and characters we grew up watching be shown through a different light and a slight or major difference from who we actually know them to be.

Comment by A – July 20, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I completely agree Sara. Sure, they twist things around but not in a way that convinces me they have read any of the original fairy tales or even novels for that matter. So what they do is take the Disney version (or at least pop culture references to characters) and then decide how they can change it up so that it turns into some kind of silly mashup. Not to mention the over the top Lost formula copying. That all said, I will never get over how utterly absurd the Grumpy/Dreamy backstory episode was. Why they felt the need to come up with a mythology of why and how dwarves come into being I will never know. The coming out of eggs as grown adults and not being able to love or procreate was STUPID. But I guess at least it was comical. Can OUAT be entertaining? Sure. I think the best arc they had was with Sheriff Graham/Huntsman. But for me most of their ideas have been non-literary to the extreme. To argue otherwise is strange to me (argue it for entertainment’s sake, nothing more) but I think that’s because many people nowadays think the originals are the Disney versions. I get why they’re doing it. Obviously it has proved successful. It creates nostalgia in the audience and they like to see how the characters they grew up watching are changed around and presented in a new way. I get it. Do I think it’s good personally or even done well? No.The Rufio casting announcement had me ROFL.

Comment by AT – July 20, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Then I think you’ve got your answer. You say that they aren’t original and take most things from either Disney versions or popular versions of the tale. Here, with the Dwarf they completely created their own story and sold it to the audience. You were not a fan. Trial complete.

In my opinion, they correlate a lot of the characters to the Disney equivalent (ex: Belle with the broken tea cup, Ariel with red hair, etc,) because they probably figure that a lot of the viewers technically tuned into OUAT because they hold the originals near & dear to their heart. By connecting the actors and THEIR characters to the Disney counterparts it makes us fall in love with them (and the show) a bit more.
            Further more, you state that there aren’t that many twists but, correct me if I’m wrong, their explanation of the show isn’t to CHANGE history (or the way that the particular characters story is written) its to just elaborate and give more depth. So OF COURSE Snow will end up with Prince Charming, OF COURSE Cinderella will end up with her Prince. OF COURSE Ruby will be wearing a Red Hood. These are what we grew up on. If they changed it up then we would have a problem with Disney then (and I’m sure NOBODY goes up against Disney…lol). But in all seriousness, you get a bit of creativity when they do something like Rumplestiltskin being “The Beast”…and I’m sure you’ve probably read the couple of hundred people who had a problem with that particular piece of OUAT. With their creativity you get Ruby being the actual Big Bad Wolf herself (who even saw THAT coming). But THAT’S their creative spin. And they shown it ALL THROUGHOUT the 2 seasons of it being on air.

Comment by Kassel – July 24, 2013 06:33 PM PDT
        • No twists? lets take an example, have u ever thought of jack the giant killer as a manipulative woman? have u ever thought that snow white and prince charming might have a daughter who later has a son who also happens to be the adoptive son of the evil queen? have u ever thought that rumplestiltskin is the beast from beauty and the beast or that he’s the crocodile who led to captain hook losing his hand? i think that the stories from OUAT are only inspired from the original stories but the show itself is a different fairy tale

Comment by Dalia Majid – July 20, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I think you’re confusing “original stories” with Disney’s animated movies. And perhaps one of the worst reviewed live action movies ever.

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 03:21 PM PDT
    • If by “movies” you mean the Disney bowdlerizations, I agree. Spoiler: The mermaid is supposed to die!

Comment by Cass – July 20, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ARIEL!

Comment by Tom Charles – July 20, 2013 12:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was on the fence as to whether I was going to watch this year. Last season really disappointed me. It had its good moments but there was too much going and I felt it didn’t focus enough on the core characters. But I admit the trailer and teasers I’ve seen so far seem pretty good, so I think I’m gonna give it another chance.

Comment by Julie – July 20, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ve given up halfway through last season. Curiousity brought me to this board but nothing I’ve read will bring me back. Such a shame since the show had so much potential… It just lost its way through too many uninteresting characters and ridiculously far-fetched storylines.

Comment by Lisa London – July 20, 2013 10:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My thoughts exactly! I stopped watching too, and for the same reasons. What they are planning for season 3 doesn’t call for a come back for me, especially if we add that stupid love triangle they teased a while back.

Comment by sophonisbe – July 21, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a single iota of new footage and yet I am still crazed for Season 3.

Oh, Comic Con, what you do to us all.

Comment by Anon – July 20, 2013 01:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They just started filming season 3 last week

Comment by Nikki – July 20, 2013 01:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for S3. Hook, Emma, Ariel and Pan. Let’s rock.

Could tinkerbell be Cora’s twin sister? And as that being in Neverland made her young forever and she will be played by Rose??? Yes I desperately want Rose back on TV! Of course Tinker will be connected to a female character. The Male characters are completely unimportant to the writers. Beside Rumple. Rumple gets solid treatment.

Comment by Maki – July 20, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nah, season 2 was all about the peen. Even Emma’s flashback story wasn’t about HER. It was about the guys.

Comment by sara – July 20, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hook is who I’m most looking foreward to. You can’t have Neverland without Hook. That’s like pancakes with no syrup. It’d just be dry bread.

Comment by Sarah – July 20, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s one thing I’m hoping for with them going to Neverland. The more Hook the better!!

Comment by A – July 20, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for season three!!!! And I personally think Tink will have a connection with Rumple…. And I’ll also be lookin’ out for Once Upon a Time in Neverland ^-^

Comment by Tori – July 20, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • New characters, Regina, Belle, Neal ….. I don’t care about any of these. I loved season one of this show but by season 2, Kitsis and Horowitz were spending too much time on characters I don’t care about and short-changing the stories of those I do (the Charming family, Rumple, Ruby). Looks like season 3 is going to be more of the same.

Comment by kath – July 20, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Believe it or not, this show is not entirely about what YOU care about! Some people out there (myself included) actually like Regina, Hook, etc., and could care less about Prince Charming and his boring love story with Snow!

Comment by A – July 20, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Isn’t that the point though? Some people care about the Charmings & Rumple, some about Regina & Hook, but when the writers spend too much time on one set of characters they alienate a part of the audience. And the show will get canceled if enough people feel alienated and stop watching. They need to spend a decent amount of time with all characters.

Comment by Y – July 24, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate to say it, but the Charming family is BORING. I, however, put up with their garbage because I love the show. I loved season two because I didn’t have to hear “I will find you” every two seconds. I love Hook, Regina, Neal, Belle, and Bae and I can’t wait to see more of them. Every character needs screen time and in season one, most of it was dedicated to the Charming family. Thank god it’s different now.

Comment by Agatha – August 17, 2013 04:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed. Snow and Charming are the worst and the most boring and annoying characters on the show and I just put up with them because I like everyone else. If this show was just about Snow and Charming and there were no Regina, Hook, Rumple, or Emma, I don’t think I could watch it.

Comment by A – August 17, 2013 05:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So when will we get Pocahontas, Rapunzel or even Gisele?

Comment by Marcinho11 – July 20, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for season three!

Comment by Lori – July 20, 2013 07:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think I must be the only person who likes Snow White AND still is entertained by Cora and Regina’s antics. Don’t get me wrong, I want Snow to have her happy ending with her husband, grandson, and daughter, but I hope for more drama and action before it happens.

Comment by DPL – July 21, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I vote Orlando Bloom for Peter Pan. The man is like 40 and looks like a 20-year old

Comment by ninamags – July 21, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really hope Ursula is her own character and that they don’t just make her Regina. The combining characters thing is getting annoying, especially with Rumple. Ursula doesn’t have to be an overweight octopus, but at least a female villain who is not Regina. I hate that they wasted Maleficent. I hope they don’t waste another great villain.

Comment by Mikael – July 23, 2013 12:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for season 3. Want to see Lana’s favourite kill.

Comment by Sian – July 25, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post