Comic-Con

Zachary Levi Details the Plan for a Chuck Movie, Previews His Role in 'Arthouse' Thor Sequel

If entertainment “mogul” Zachary Levi has anything to say about it, Chuck absolutely will hit the big screen — but by specific fundraising means, at a certain time and in a way that benefits the NBC spy comedy’s longtime fans best.

RELATED | Get Spoilers, Videos and Much More from TVLine’s In-Depth Comic-Con Coverage!

“I want it to happen,” Levi shared with Michael Ausiello at TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite. But rather than go the Kickstarter route (à la Veronica Mars), Levi has his own, detailed thoughts on how to usher the cult series into a Cineplex near you. Also, it won’t happen for a couple of years yet, he says (at the 5:00 mark), though for the most noble of reasons.

Also in this video Q&A: Levi opens up about his charitable goals for the Nerd HQ “empire” over which he lords, raves about having a dream come true with his Broadway debut in First Date (which “graciously” let him out of this week’s previews to keep his ‘Con commitment), and talks about playing a “very different” role than he ever has, taking over for Once Upon a Time‘s Josh Dallas as Fandral the Dashing in Thor: The Dark World (in theaters Nov. 8).

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Comic-Con, Interviews, Video

1. Joey says:

Great interview. Glad great stuff is happening for Zachary this year, I can’t wait to see him in the new Thor movie.

2. DoctorWhoFanatic! says:

He is CRAZY sexy. Yum.

3. Faith says:

As a member of those 10,000 Chuck fans, in the words of Fry from Futurama: Take my money!

As for the rest, odd I haven’t even thought of ZL on Thor of late with the previews. It’s going to be an experience seeing him in it once it’s on the big screen.

Finally, always thankful for his devotion to his fans and the fanbase in general. And Ausiello’s too for this interview.

4. Loni says:

Zachary Levi is just such a great guy! I love his vision of how to get the Chuck movie going, hope he gets to do it in a couple of years. Great interview!

5. Supernatural says:

kickstart this thing and I will put $100!!!!!

6. Maris says:

He’s really smart and I really hope that we get the movie that way, I always thought it was unfair that only people with a lot of money could get the best perks when there are many HUGE fans that can’t afford them.

7. Allie says:

I was lucky enugh to see the first preview of First Date and it was great. It’s not perfect, but like Zachary said… it’s the rough draft before it opens. He didn’t strike me as too Chuck-like in the show, but I can see where people might make the comparison. He holds his own and I desperately want a cast album… if only for the track “Bailout”!!!

• RUCookie says:

I saw a preview this weekend and loved the show. A great modern comedy about all the things we all think while on that first date. And for anyone that did not know he could sing this is a good wake-up call… WOW, he brought the house down!

8. Eliza says:

♥ I miss him on my TV. Chuck was one of my favorite shows & was my little happy place… so I would definitely support a movie.

9. AcE says:

Take my Money for Chuck, make it happen!!!

10. Kristina says:

He seems like such a cool guy. I’m really glad to see his career doing well, looking forward to seeing him in Thor 2! So sweet that he worries about pleasing the fans :)

11. Kay says:

I agree with those of y’all who have one thing to say: Take my money! I would give ANYTHING for a Chuck movie.

12. Badpenny says:

If anyone’s following @thenerdmachine on twitter Nerd HQ is running live YouTube panels from SDCC. The mystery panel just ended with Nathan F, Alan, T, Zack L, and Rob Kazinsky. The I Frankenstein panel with Yvonne is coming up shortly.

13. Betsy says:

YES YES YES let this be a thing that happens. I don’t even care how long we have to wait, just let it be a reality.

14. Kevan says:

For a Chuck movie to work, it has to emulate the spy comedy formula of “Red” or something like it. Chuck as it existed on the TV screen would simply not work theatrically. And I say this as a fan who saw all 91 episodes first-run and participated in the Great Subway Renewal Campaign of 2009. I love the show with all my heart. But it will NOT work on the big screen without tonal changes. Sappy sweet stuff mixed with spy action doesn’t appeal to the masses (as the shows ratings indicated).

• canadian ninja says:

- tonal changes would make it a different show, a structural change & grander plot definitely
      – it doesn’t have to appeal to the masses (they generally suck) it just would want to grab its target market which would be Chuck fans and people who just don’t know they’re Chuck fans yet
      – never thought the show was sappy myself, just sweet and light

Also Zach Levi is the Guy – seem first class all the way.

• Kevan says:

Don’t fall into the Serenity trap. There are not enough of us (Chuck fans) to make a Chuck movie a success unless the movie had a $7m-$10m budget or something and we could push it to a $30m+ box office. As it is, it’s niche. I agree with you that a grander plot is needed (the show’s greatest failing IMO was that the spy plots seemed like afterthoughts and the stakes were never truly threatening).

Of course I’m not saying change the show’s tone entirely. Just less of the “love and family conquers all” stuff, heart to heart talks, etc. Keep the comedy. Keep the action. Keep love as the overarching human element. Mix the Steve Carell “Get Smart” and “Red” and I think that’s a winning formula.

Oh, and Chuck needs to be put in mortal danger (they didn’t explore this enough in the series). And there needs to be a real villain who is a real threat and every bit Chuck’s intellectual equal (they tried doing this with Shaw but it never came off). In my mind Sarah doesn’t get her memories completely back until Chuck gets shot or something, forcing her to flash (because remember, she still has the intersect).

15. onlyakb says:

see this is why I love this guy!!

16. Miranda says:

He is really well spoken, and very enthusiastic about all his projects.

17. Louise says:

Hopefully the Chuck movie happens! i love zac so much :)

18. Lauren says:

First Date sounds amazing. So happy I’ll be in New York while it’s playing and I get to see it!

19. Alia says:

Okay, I want to see *all* of these things. Thor 2, First Date, Chuck movie: bring it on.

20. Number1 Fan says:

I miss Chuck so much! I loved the series & can’t wait to watch the movie!!!:)

21. Mrfeelgooood77 says:

I hope Chuck gets made. I donate my fare share of cash.

22. thomas heeps says:

Love this show watched all five seasons and now I feel empty and sick so I have started watching them again from the start well done to netflix