Fall TV Preview

It's Official: Cobie Smulders Joins Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. — Plus: Spoilery Intel From the Pilot!

Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cast Cobie SmuldersAgent Maria Hill will, indeed, report for duty: How I Met Your Mother’s Cobie Smulders is set to reprise her Avengers film role in the movie’s ABC spin-off, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

TVLine has confirmed that the actress will appear in the pilot and other episodes of the much-anticipated ABC drama, which is based on the 2012 action blockbuster.

RELATED | Joss Whedon Casts Angel Alum in S.H.I.E.L.D. Pilot

Exactly how often Agent Hill — who played right-hand-woman to Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury in the flick — will be seen on the show remains up in the air. That’s mainly because of her existing role on (rival network) CBS’ HIMYM. But that comedy is coming to an end after this season; if movie director/series boss Joss Whedon can bring Agent Coulson back from the dead (or at least make it seem that way), who knows what else he can make happen?

Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. debuts Tuesday, Sept. 24 at 8/7c.

To top off that exciting news, those in attendances at the show’s Friday Comic-Con panel were treated to a viewing of the entire pilot. Since we’d hate to ruin the series’ enormously exciting, lavish first episode for you – and risk the wrath of Marvel’s Hulk – we present the highlights:

BEST RETURN | Hill’s comeback provides some of the funniest moments – her response when told Thor isn’t really a God: “You haven’t been near his arms” – and the most intriguing scenes with Clark Gregg’s revived Coulson. Let’s just say, there are a lot of secrets.

BIGGEST BREAKOUTS | Chloe Bennet as quirky, clever superhero-tracker Skye and Brett Dalton as brooding alpha-male agent Grant – “This is my first big [role],” the actor marveled – seem poised to be geek-household names this fall – and they’ve earned the honors: Bennet auditioned six times for the role!

BEST TECH | The Seven Dwarfs, which aren’t a crossover with ABC’s Once Upon a Time but rather flying gizmos programmed to collect data.

BEST ENEMY | In true Whedon fashion, a Big Bad is revealed.

BEST SURPRISE | Someone Comic-Con fans know very well makes an unexpected cameo.

BIGGEST BUTT-KICKER | While Dalton has a very cool fight sequence — hilariously punctuated by a French woman’s nonchalant expression — in France, Ming-Na is definitely most impressive.

… AND THE BEST PART | There’s more to come! “Wait until you see Episode 2,” teased Gregg. Added Joss Whedon: “I have been to a Con before. But it’s very different every time. I have that feeling that I have no had for a long time where I have assembled this extraordinary ensemble… I’m a little excited.” As for what the future holds, Whedon would only say, “We’re going to have pain. We may see some people. And we may see some new people from the Marvel universe that are not yet cinematic.”

Avengers fans, are you pleased about Smulder’s casting? What about the details from the pilot? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (56)

• Great news!

Comment by CBWBDK1 – July 19, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So SHIELD will have Robin, but no Batman?

Comment by RockGolf – July 19, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is so exciting! I hope this show lives up to expectations!

Comment by Mikaylah Roggasch (@mkroggasch) – July 19, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is only making occasional appearances.

Another misleading headline from Ausiello. What a surprise.

Comment by Steve – July 19, 2013 02:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not misleading at all. Pretty straight-forward. She joined the cast as recurring guest. The headline doesn’t say she’ll be a regular.

Comment by a – July 19, 2013 02:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He said she is reprising her role. He didn’t say full time. Obviously she can’t join as a regular until season 2 after HIMYM ends.

Comment by anakinjmt – July 19, 2013 02:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Your an idiot Steve. There’s nothing wrong with the title. Stop trolling

Comment by Cherry – July 19, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • way to stay classy Cherry..
        >troll
        >idiot

Comment by Nick C – July 20, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not misleading at all. the headline said she was going to be on the show and the article provided details about it.

Comment by Alan – July 19, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woohoo! Please post more info as soon as you have it!

Comment by April – July 19, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love her. If this show really takes off, she’s bound to get herself an Emmy.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 19, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Highly unlikely. Emmy’s don’t even consider scifi shows let alone anything based around superheros.

Comment by liz – July 19, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right, that’s why no one on Lost won anything.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 19, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I wouldn’t consider Lost to be primarily sci-fi. It was a character drama first and foremost, and also a mystery. Additionally, I’d consider it much more fantasy than science fiction. And the Emmy voters love a good fantasy, i.e. Game of Thrones.

Comment by DL – July 20, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Lost was still weirder than any superhero film or show. Or most shows. But Lost won best drama before most of the weirdness, polar bear aside.

Comment by TigerNightmare – July 20, 2013 12:16 PM PDT
  • So obvious yet so amazing!

Comment by MDS – July 19, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SHIELD better not be as boring as Avengers. I’ll give the pilot a look but seeing as how I’m one of like six people in the world who thought The Avengers was the most boring superhero film ever (I’m even including Superman Returns, boys), I doubt I’ll keep up. Whedon’s been a personal disappoint for me lately.

Comment by a – July 19, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t know if “boring” is how I would phrase it, but it was a horrible movie. Badly written. Badly directed. It took a solid cast and made them look stupid.

Honestly, I can’t say that Whedon has impressed me since Firefly was on the air. Everything since has been weak (comics, TV and movies)

Comment by Drew – July 19, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree on how boring the Avengers was, but Dr. Horrible is great. You gotta give credit where credit is due.

Comment by Feedback – July 19, 2013 05:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Didn’t like Dr. Horrible. Didn’t like Cabin in the Woods either. I was a huge Joss fan back in the day, but he has gone downhill.

Comment by DrewK – July 19, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I wouldn’t say boring but overhyped? Extremely. I LIKED it but it was hardly one of the best superhero movies, it was just one of the biggest. I never feel like I have to watch it again and I’ve watched movies like X-Men, Spider-Man 2 and all of Christopher Nolan’s Batman movies several times.

Comment by dude – July 19, 2013 02:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even that Bane-sized turd he finished the trilogy with?

I don’t know anyone who expects to be taken seriously thought the Avengers was an Oscar caliber masterpiece but then the genius a few posts up who thinks this series “better not” be like the movie because he and “like six people in the world” didn’t like it is just being a lazy troll or thinks the world revolves around him.

Comment by obvious trolls – July 19, 2013 08:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Even the capital BORING boring as hell BB?

Comment by Marco – July 20, 2013 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I thought The Avengers was the best superhero film I’ve seen in a long time. Technically excellent with the acting, writing and directing. It was funny, exciting, heartbreaking and super Whedony. And what Whedon did with Black Widow was everything I wanted. Loved it completely.

Comment by liz – July 19, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • thanks Liz. Could not have said it any better.

Comment by Nick C – July 20, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This thread is a prime example of how people who comment on the blogs are so out of touch with the mainstream audience. People are always stunned when the favorites of the blog-denizens are frequently overlooked by the Emmys. This is why. We’re a loud but vocal minority, and most people can’t deal with that, spitting into the wind. The Avengers film was wildly popular, so it must be bad, right? There’s been a certain amoung ot backlash against The Big Bang Theory for this same reason. We can be our own worst enemy.

Comment by TV Gord – July 20, 2013 05:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Obviously recurring this year, hopefully regular next year if Shield passes season 1. I wonder if she will be as cynical about the Avengers as she was in the deleted beginning of the movie. Anyway great news.

Comment by azerty – July 19, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • considering that is pretty much the defining trait of maria hill in the comics i would be surprised if she didnt have that characterisation

Comment by Alan – July 19, 2013 03:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You can hear her voice in the trailer they released, so not a complete surprise.
    Interested to see how much they’ll use her – Hill’s an HQ-type, and this team looks like they’ll be a small independent unit.

Comment by wordsmith – July 19, 2013 02:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still haven’t seen the avengers but I plan to now cause I wanna watch this show! I knew I heard Cobie Smulders in the trailer too! I rewatched it like five times to try and confirm It but I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

Comment by Roger – July 19, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ive been working on the theory that during season 1 the team will make a name for themselves within the organisation and that they will begin to be trusted more by the higher ups as they go on leading to more involvement from HQ-types by season 2.

Comment by Alan – July 19, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! I can’t wait to see her in the pilot episode in September.

Comment by Joey – July 19, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m probably the only person in the world that wishes they’d just recast her instead. Didn’t care for her in the role, but I’m glad for her fans and hopefully she’ll be a good addition to the series.

Comment by Kristina – July 19, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is happy news, but I’m not at all surprised. I am really looking forward to S.H.I.E.L.D.

Comment by Andy – July 19, 2013 02:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hardly a surprise but great news nonetheless.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – July 19, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Nice screen name, Quinn Mallory.

Comment by Alia – July 19, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not a big surprise. If this makes it to season 2 I bet she will be a featured cast member.

Comment by Dj – July 19, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by daniel – July 19, 2013 03:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She will be a regular next year. We all knew it was gonna happen

Comment by ggny – July 19, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • considering she already said that her contract with how i met your mother wouldnt stop her from doing this im not surprised, it is appreciated though since she is pretty awesome and i love maria hill.

Comment by Alan – July 19, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! And then when HIMYM ends…

Comment by Rachel – July 19, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay get Coby off that stupid show and on full time

Comment by BrianR – July 19, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Out of curiosity, do I need to have seen the movie to understand what’s going on in the show?

Comment by kavyn – July 19, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably not, but it couldn’t hurt. It’s a really enjoyable movie, and you’ve got a little while to catch up.

Comment by Alia – July 19, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hooray!!! Welcome aboard, Cobie! Feel free to stick around.

Comment by Alia – July 19, 2013 05:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot wait to see this! So glad she is on board ;)

Comment by Denise@Successful-Parenting.com – July 19, 2013 07:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome! Great addition and really looking forward to a heavier presence from her in season 2.

Comment by liz – July 19, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I never believed that Agent Coulson was dead in the Avengers. I always thought it was just another ploy from Fury. (No doubt Coulson was badly injured though.) I will be happy to see Agent Hill in S.H.I.E.L.D. in a more permanent bases once HIMYM series is completed.

Comment by jj – July 20, 2013 03:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • best news ever! maria was my fav agents!! she’s such a badass!!!!

Comment by Lilu – July 20, 2013 11:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looking forward to this more and more! I hope it does what The Avengers did so well…develop the characters! Let’s be honest Avengers isn’t perfect-but it isn’t a bad movie with a good pay-off, it is a great movie with some flaws. I got the movie when the discs came out-and I watched it repeatedly because of the interactions…not ‘THE STORY’. By contrast, I haven’t watched TDK nearly as often. TDK feels more heavy, self-indulgent even though it has (probably) MORE brilliant acting performances.

Comment by Ed – July 21, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Really great news!

Comment by t86 – July 22, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Congratulations to Cobie – great news. She’s going to have a very busy year, but well worth the extra effort – this is her time to shine. Looking forward to HIMYM’s final great season, and to SHIELD beginning.

All the best to her.

Comment by N tTVf – August 5, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “But isn’t love suppose to be an obsession? If it is not, then you’d have to rationalize. If you rationalize then it’s not love, because there is always a better rationalization.”

Comment by MCM 腕時計 – August 25, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just when we thought we finally grasp what love is, somebody asks:

Comment by ボッテガベネタ – August 25, 2013 06:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think the admin of this website is actually working hard in
    support of his web page, as here every data is quality based
    data.