Comic-Con

The X-Files @ Comic-Con: Anderson/Duchovny Revisit TV Romance, Share Interest in New Movie

Comic-Con X-Files New Movie Gillian Anderson and David Duchovny made their Comic-Con Ballroom 20 entrance on Thursday among darkness, with flashlights in hand, to celebrate The X-Files‘ 20th anniversary and survey the show’s future. (Yes, we said future.)

They were joined by a star-studded lineup of writers/EPs – creator Chris Carter, Vince Gilligan (Breaking Bad), Howard Gordon (Homeland) and John Shiban (Hell on Wheels), to name a few – to reminiscence about Mulder and Scully’s relationship and more.

RELATED | TVLine’s Complete Comic-Con Coverage

‘SHIPPER ALERT | What are Anderson’s thoughts on the characters, now that 20 years have passed? “I didn’t realize that Mulder was so cool until a few years later,” shared the actress, “and I thought, ‘Damn. I should have gotten there sooner.’” So what would they do if they ever went out on a real-life date, as one fan asked? “Have sex,” Anderson replied bluntly. Added Duchovny after the laughter died down: “And then maybe have dinner.” The Californication star also reflected on the couple, IDing one of his favorite Mulder/Scully moments as “the one from ‘Post-Modern Prometheus’ where we get up to dance.”

FIGHT THE FUTURE, PART TWO? | Duchovny attributed the pull of the series, even many years later, to the fact that “the show had any possibility. The show is so flexible and could encompass any ideas. We could do it forever.” And then he hinted that when the team can get together again, he’d love to do another… something? Anderson, for her part, ruled out a limited series (à la the upcoming 24 revival), but said “a film would be great.” So will there be another feature flick? “You need a reason to get excited about doing it again… and this [crowd enthusiasm] is very exciting,” Carter hedged.

THE X COMICS | While on that titillating topic, don’t expect the new X-Files comics to bleed into any possible feature ventures. “The stories are more comic-booky,” said Carter. “They’re their own mythology.”

LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT | Get ready to awwww. Asked when they realized Mulder and Scully were really in love, Carter replied, “I think it was when [she] first walked into his office in the basement.”

FAITH VS. SCIENCE | Why did Carter choose to include a religious thread to Scully’s character on a sci-fi show? “It was natural for me,” he explained. “She was a scientist, but that made her slightly one-dimensional. But if she had a religious upbringing… she had these two warring sides of her character.”

1. MH says:

LOVE this. I need more x-files in my life.

2. Scully says:

20 years may have gone by but I still love them just as much as ever. David, Gillian and the entire team are amazing. Talk about standing the test of time. Everyone looks beyond incredible – an X-File in its own right. Come on XF3!

3. X-Files Forever. Nothing more to say.

4. Anon says:

OMG!

Comic Con news always makes me squee like a woman being given diamonds.

I heard there is going to be some Pretender life too (another old school goodie!) Just need some Firefly news to send me over the edge.

Have to go on an X-files binge. Love to torture myself by screaming “Just Kiss Her Mulder!” like Dallas of Subergatory.

5. AT says:

I think there’s a reason so many shows still try to emulate its formula. It literally is one of the best series ever made and at the time was groundbreaking. That said, X Files had the soul and it’s pretty hard to copy that. So many try, but only few succeed. That said, I really hope a 3rd movie will be made.

6. GeoDiva says:

One of my all time favorite shows!

7. DanaScullyMulder says:

X-Files is and will ALWAYS be my love!!! it was thanks to X-Files I became a redhead, Everyone in my family and my friends still do this day call me Scully and I LOVE IT!!!!

• Bobbie O'Brien says:

Please please please! Keep after everyone for a new movie. The X FILES is the best show ever put on tv and I need another movie, lol to keep me going since the series is gone.

8. Drew says:

This show will always have a special place in my TV heart. But if they do another movie they really need to make it not suck. The last one really really sucked.

And honestly, I never thought they worked as a romantic couple. It was always awkward when they played into that.

• Melora says:

Agreed. The romanticizing of Mulder & Scully RUINED the show. It got dumbed down because of it. I will always consider Seasons 1-4 the BEST of the series. Seasons 5-7 were mediocre and and 8 and 9 WERE THE WORST!

• Drew says:

I didn’t hate Doggett or Reyes, but by the later seasons it became clear that they really had no idea what they were doing with the mythology anymore. They should have ended the alien invasion story and moved on to something else, like Supernatural did.

Then the second movie came out and every element of it was forced, right down to the incredibly out of place Bush joke (as though they didn’t deal with WAY more government crap on the show during the Clinton years). At this point, I wouldn’t mind seeing a new team of investigators take over the X-Files and sometimes track down Mulder or Scully for help on a case. Kinda like Mulder did with the original X-Files dude whose name I forget, only now Mulder gets to be the old guy!

• Bobbie O'Brien says:

The last movie didn’t suck its just that everyone expected aliens and didn’t get them I admit I was disappointed but still happy just to get an x file.

9. james says:

“Asked when they realized Mulder and Scully w(h)ere really in love”

“Why did Carter (to) choose to include a religious thread to Scully’s character on a sci-fi show?”

Grammar issues in ()

10. Grid guy says:

God I wish we could get one more season… or a movie… just to have something good on tv

11. C says:

God I hope someone posts the full comic-con panel ala Firefly last year. Pretty please!

12. I’d like to see them end on a more positive note (both plot and quality wise) than the last film

13. Lourdes T says:

A movie hast to happen. I love the X-files. And I know new generations are watching it. We need XF3!

14. Mare says:

Love this show, love this couple! I would love another movie!

15. I loooooooooove the X files and a third move would be great!

16. Gilda says:

Can the third film please have aliens in it?

• Bob says:

Like Duchovny said, “the show had any possibility. The show is so flexible and could encompass any ideas.” If it were only about aliens, the show would have died after season 3.

17. Sharon says:

Gillian is just so beautiful. Even much more than in the series. Ahhhhhh

18. Penn says:

Sigh. I just love seeing Mulder and Scully together again, if only for a moment. You know, there are some romances that just make you happy forever – Han got the Princess and Scully got Mulder. Perfect.

• J'Rie says:

I am watching the whole series on Hulu and am so glad they had Moulder and Scully fall in love–it is only natural. In life and death situations, depending on one another–love happens. I just hope if there is an XF3 they have a romantic element and a happy ending for the two of them–and some sex (just saying)

19. Aly says:

Even so many years later, X-Files is still my favourite TV show. Love it so much, and rewatch it often!

20. thereddiva80 says:

The X-Files will always be my favorite TV show of all time, Mulder and Scully’s search for the truth my favorite story, their romance one of the most honest and passionate I’ve ever seen. <3

21. Bob says:

I’m still waiting for the next Firefly movie/mini-series hinted at last year.

22. drhenning says:

Both of them have had interesting careers post X-Files… David had several movies and now with Californication, I think of him more as Hank Moody than Fox Mulder mostly because of age.. Hank is more the real age of the character… Gillian looks like she’s getting busier stateside after a number of BBC shows.. Her work on Hannibal this season was great and I guess she has a new show coming out as well.. I hope she’ll be able to keep up her shrink job on Hannibal..

23. Annie says:

Love love them. I can’t believe it’s benn 20 years. The X Files was and also will be the best. Everyone else is now copying ideas from them. And the chemistry between Mulder and Scully was WOW. Have never seen such dynamic before or since then.

• Tom Smith says:

Hmm…It just makes me laugh when uninformed people keep yelling that everyone copied off the Xfiles…let’s get one thing straight…the Xfiles copied off SEVERAL shows…Kolchak Night Stalker, Friday the 13th The Series, American Gothic, Freakylinks and so on..get off your high horse..

24. Tom Smith says:

It’s not gonna happen. 9 seasons and two movies that let’s face it bombed, no way they are going to risk another film financially. Enjoy what you have and move on.

25. Rachel says:

Omg! Bring back the black oil! Mulder’s sister! I want a real fight the future part 2!

26. Candice says:

It would be wonderful if there was an X-File project, Please bring it soon on any screen!

27. Bruck says:

I do not undestand why the wdn’t do a mini-series..it wd be very great to do 5 or 6 more episodes and after that, do another movie!

• Erwin millendez says:

There should have been a closure when they end the tv series. In my opinion, the ending was emotional but its quite a disappointment story. How could someone give a crappy ending when its start was out of this world. I agree that a limited series be aired then perhaps another 2 or 3 movies.

28. Nick Marchesani,
    856-813-0412
    You are all a bunch of @aggots that deserve to burn. Call me if you have the $alls to disagree

29. Whats wrong. Too afraid to take me on!

30. Nicky the Fish says:

# 609-729-3649 i am god¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!