The Veronica Mars Movie Adds Sheriff Lamb - But There's a (Really Major) Twist

Jerry O'ConnellThere’s a new sheriff in town.

Jerry O’Connell will play Sheriff Lamb — “No, not that Sheriff Lamb,” he clarifies in a YouTube video to fans – in Veronica Marsupcoming feature-film adaptation.

RELATED | Why Did the Veronica Mars Movie Recast Leighton Meester?

The Crossing Jordan alum will take on the role of Dan Lamb, “a new Lamb brother I hope you love to hate,” creator Rob Thomas writes in an email to the film’s Kickstarter contributors.

Marshmallows will remember that Dan’s brother Don (played by The Young & The RestlessMichael Muhney) — aka the insensitive lawman who famously told a rufie’d Veronica to “Go see the Wizard. Ask for a little backbone.” — died in Season 3 from head trauma incurred while responding to a call.

RELATEDVeronica Mars Movie: Veronica’s Dating [Spoiler]?!

O’Connell joins a cast that already includes Kristen BellEnrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III, Chris Lowell, Tina Majorino, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen and Max Greenfield.

He next can be seen in the fall CBS comedy We Are Men, which premieres Sept. 30.

Sound off in the comments with your thoughts on O’Connell’s casting.

1. Bittersweet! In one hand, I’ll miss Michael Muhney’s Don Lamb. In the other hand, I believe that Jerry will deliver a good performance.

2. John says:

Perfect casting!

3. Tonya says:

Awesome!

4. DL says:

There’s definitely some resemblance there! Their coloring matches almost exactly.

5. 2muchTV says:

This just took a turn for Suckville. What, Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler not available?

6. V says:

Maybe us fans should have been clearer on which Lamb we wanted back. :/

7. Drew says:

Man… how awesome would it have been if Leighton Meester was cast in this role?

8. Jdurbs says:

Aaaaaand bring on the entitled backers to complain about this casting decision too!

• Brock says:

What a ridiculous comment. The backers have been supportive of every single casting choice thus far and got upset once because they recast a role. They did so as they are so passionate about the series.

• Jdurbs says:

Be cool, Soda Pop! I didn’t mean every single backer. I meant the entitled backers who think giving $10 (or any amount) allows them creative control of the project and they continue to complain and bitch about every casting choice or plot point reveal they disagree with (examples are already showing up in this comment thread). Most of the 91,000+ backers (I am also a backer) are not in this entitled bunch but that entitled bunch is making us all look bad! I for one trust Rob as I’m sure you do as well!

• Tonya says:

Ugh I hope not! The whining about the Piz and Veronica pictures and then the Carrie Bishop thing was bad enough.

9. Alia says:

Love him! Count me as one happy backer!

10. Steven says:

I loved him as Woody and in Sliders so I’m happy about this news.

11. ggny says:

I would rather have Michael Muhney back with a mustache playing his own brother

12. Alia says:

I don’t like that, and I never liked that they killed off Sheriff Lamb, that was a very huge mistake.

13. Alexis says:

I wish they’d gone with the identical twin route just so that we could have had Michael Muhney back. Anyway Jerry ain’t bad. Can’t wait to see this movie.

14. C says:

I actually think this is a very smart move. Don Lamb is dead, has been for ten years, and the mystery in the movie is tied to present day events so there wouldn’t have been any context to even mentioned the former Sheriff Lamb. Having the brother Lamb in the sheriff’s uniform gives the movie that. I can imagine Dan Lamb waxing nostalgic about his brother while Keith and Veronica roll their eyes. Hee!

15. mg714 says:

I’d also prefer somehow seeing the actual Sheriff Lamb in maybe a flashback… and by the way didn’t he say that line about the Wizard to Wallace?

• mg714 says:

Oh, never mind… I guess did say that to Veronica too!

• Tonya says:

He said it to Veronica first, that’s why she recognized the comment when Wallace mentioned it.

• mg714 says:

Right – I only remembered the Wallace one initially because I recently saw the episode where Wallace tells Lamb that he did see the Wizard and he told him that Lamb was a true friend of Dorothy…

16. Debbie says:

I find him insufferable and unattractive. I don’t understand how he keeps getting work.

17. Amanda says:

I’m totally on board with this too and Jerry’s good. That identical twin idea would’ve been great to bring Michael back. Though being a fan of “Y&R” and knowing how busy the actors are with the soap taping schedule it makes sense Michael couldn’t do it.

18. Kay says:

What a tease. Don Lamb was one of my favorite characters.

19. MB says:

NOOOO! Not him. He SUCKS!

20. Kay says:

I literally jumped for joy when I got the “sheriff Lamb” teaser picture yesterday. What a let down

21. wooster182 says:

Am I the only one worried that they are filling a 2 hour movie with too many characters? I don’t need to see every character from Neptune. I just need Veronica, Logan, V’s Dad, Wallace, Mack, Dick, and Weevil. Everyone else is just white noise.

• Alichat says:

No, not really. Just because they are bringing back characters like Madison, Luke, Susan, etc, doesn’t mean they will be on screen for a long period. Having them back in the reunion makes sense and is mostly a nod to the fans. I doubt they will have their own extensive subplot in the story.

• jennrae says:

Who else is she going to question about the murder? It’s going to be, “Weevil, you were beating up on some 09ers when…” and so on and then repeat with every other character on the show. It’s going to be so great, I can’t wait, and I can’t even remember the last movie I went to. Oh god, was it Sex and the City? Yikes.

22. liz says:

Good choice. Be able to add the right amount of charisma with the ‘obligatory jackass’ vibe required.

23. Quinn Mallory says:

Love this move (as you can probably guess from my handle).

24. kate says:

Don’t have anything against Jerry, he is a great actor. The thing that concerns me is that the budget of the movie is pretty tight, and they already brought back almost everyone, and Jerry is a big star with certain level of pay check, I’m just worry for a movie itself. I so want it to be special, it just seems that there are a lot of people already to fill the 2h movie.

• Joeschmo says:

I don’t think I’d consider him a big star. Big-ish name recognition, maybe, but I doubt his roles in Scary Movie 5 and Piranha 3D garner him a huge paycheck.

• jennrae says:

He was the fat kid who brought the comb in Stand By Me. That’s as big as he got.

25. Doug says:

I would have preferred Sheriff Dick Casablancas or Sheriff Eli “Weevil Nararro. That would have been interesting. Or even one of the previous deputies could have gotten the big job. Jerry O’Connell was unnecessary. I hope he doesn’t mug his way through it. That seems to be his only acting style.

26. Anise says: