The Veronica Mars Movie Adds Sheriff Lamb – But There's a (Really Major) Twist

Get More: Casting News

Jerry O'ConnellThere’s a new sheriff in town.

Jerry O’Connell will play Sheriff Lamb — “No, not that Sheriff Lamb,” he clarifies in a YouTube video to fans – in Veronica Marsupcoming feature-film adaptation.

RELATED | Why Did the Veronica Mars Movie Recast Leighton Meester?

The Crossing Jordan alum will take on the role of Dan Lamb, “a new Lamb brother I hope you love to hate,” creator Rob Thomas writes in an email to the film’s Kickstarter contributors.

Marshmallows will remember that Dan’s brother Don (played by The Young & The RestlessMichael Muhney) — aka the insensitive lawman who famously told a rufie’d Veronica to “Go see the Wizard. Ask for a little backbone.” — died in Season 3 from head trauma incurred while responding to a call.

RELATEDVeronica Mars Movie: Veronica’s Dating [Spoiler]?!

O’Connell joins a cast that already includes Kristen BellEnrico Colantoni, Jason Dohring, Percy Daggs III, Chris Lowell, Tina Majorino, Francis Capra, Ryan Hansen and Max Greenfield.

He next can be seen in the fall CBS comedy We Are Men, which premieres Sept. 30.

Sound off in the comments with your thoughts on O’Connell’s casting.

Comments (45)

• Cool

Comment by James – July 17, 2013 02:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bittersweet! In one hand, I’ll miss Michael Muhney’s Don Lamb. In the other hand, I believe that Jerry will deliver a good performance.

Comment by VMarsConfessions (@VMarsConfession) – July 17, 2013 02:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Perfect casting!

Comment by John – July 17, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome!

Comment by Tonya – July 17, 2013 02:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s definitely some resemblance there! Their coloring matches almost exactly.

Comment by DL – July 17, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This just took a turn for Suckville. What, Ben Stiller or Adam Sandler not available?

Comment by 2muchTV – July 17, 2013 03:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe us fans should have been clearer on which Lamb we wanted back. :/

Comment by V – July 17, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Zombie Don Lamb could still make an appearance.

Comment by Tonya – July 17, 2013 03:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We. That’s “we” fans. (Not “us” fans.) ;)

Comment by jennrae – July 20, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Man… how awesome would it have been if Leighton Meester was cast in this role?

Comment by Drew – July 17, 2013 03:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aaaaaand bring on the entitled backers to complain about this casting decision too!

Comment by Jdurbs – July 17, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What a ridiculous comment. The backers have been supportive of every single casting choice thus far and got upset once because they recast a role. They did so as they are so passionate about the series.

Comment by Brock – July 17, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Be cool, Soda Pop! I didn’t mean every single backer. I meant the entitled backers who think giving $10 (or any amount) allows them creative control of the project and they continue to complain and bitch about every casting choice or plot point reveal they disagree with (examples are already showing up in this comment thread). Most of the 91,000+ backers (I am also a backer) are not in this entitled bunch but that entitled bunch is making us all look bad! I for one trust Rob as I’m sure you do as well!

Comment by Jdurbs – July 17, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh I hope not! The whining about the Piz and Veronica pictures and then the Carrie Bishop thing was bad enough.

Comment by Tonya – July 17, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Why is he at the reunion? HE DOESN’T EVEN GO HERE!

Comment by Lauren – July 18, 2013 02:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love him! Count me as one happy backer!

Comment by Alia – July 17, 2013 03:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him as Woody and in Sliders so I’m happy about this news.

Comment by Steven – July 17, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would rather have Michael Muhney back with a mustache playing his own brother

Comment by ggny – July 17, 2013 03:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m fully loving the idea of Jerry O’Connell in the movie but I literally just LOL’ed at your idea! That would be epic!

Comment by Tonya – July 17, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I actually like this idea alot. That would have been quite funny….especially the expression on Veronica’s face when she first meets him!

Comment by Alichat – July 17, 2013 10:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hilarious!

Comment by jennrae – July 20, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t like that, and I never liked that they killed off Sheriff Lamb, that was a very huge mistake.

Comment by Alia – July 17, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish they’d gone with the identical twin route just so that we could have had Michael Muhney back. Anyway Jerry ain’t bad. Can’t wait to see this movie.

Comment by Alexis – July 17, 2013 03:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually think this is a very smart move. Don Lamb is dead, has been for ten years, and the mystery in the movie is tied to present day events so there wouldn’t have been any context to even mentioned the former Sheriff Lamb. Having the brother Lamb in the sheriff’s uniform gives the movie that. I can imagine Dan Lamb waxing nostalgic about his brother while Keith and Veronica roll their eyes. Hee!

Comment by C – July 17, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d also prefer somehow seeing the actual Sheriff Lamb in maybe a flashback… and by the way didn’t he say that line about the Wizard to Wallace?

Comment by mg714 – July 17, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, never mind… I guess did say that to Veronica too!

Comment by mg714 – July 17, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He said it to Veronica first, that’s why she recognized the comment when Wallace mentioned it.

Comment by Tonya – July 17, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right – I only remembered the Wallace one initially because I recently saw the episode where Wallace tells Lamb that he did see the Wizard and he told him that Lamb was a true friend of Dorothy…

Comment by mg714 – July 17, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find him insufferable and unattractive. I don’t understand how he keeps getting work.

Comment by Debbie – July 17, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m totally on board with this too and Jerry’s good. That identical twin idea would’ve been great to bring Michael back. Though being a fan of “Y&R” and knowing how busy the actors are with the soap taping schedule it makes sense Michael couldn’t do it.

Comment by Amanda – July 17, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a tease. Don Lamb was one of my favorite characters.

Comment by Kay – July 17, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO! Not him. He SUCKS!

Comment by MB – July 17, 2013 06:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I literally jumped for joy when I got the “sheriff Lamb” teaser picture yesterday. What a let down

Comment by Kay – July 17, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one worried that they are filling a 2 hour movie with too many characters? I don’t need to see every character from Neptune. I just need Veronica, Logan, V’s Dad, Wallace, Mack, Dick, and Weevil. Everyone else is just white noise.

Comment by wooster182 – July 17, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No, not really. Just because they are bringing back characters like Madison, Luke, Susan, etc, doesn’t mean they will be on screen for a long period. Having them back in the reunion makes sense and is mostly a nod to the fans. I doubt they will have their own extensive subplot in the story.

Comment by Alichat – July 17, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Who else is she going to question about the murder? It’s going to be, “Weevil, you were beating up on some 09ers when…” and so on and then repeat with every other character on the show. It’s going to be so great, I can’t wait, and I can’t even remember the last movie I went to. Oh god, was it Sex and the City? Yikes.

Comment by jennrae – July 20, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good choice. Be able to add the right amount of charisma with the ‘obligatory jackass’ vibe required.

Comment by liz – July 17, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this move (as you can probably guess from my handle).

Comment by Quinn Mallory – July 17, 2013 10:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t have anything against Jerry, he is a great actor. The thing that concerns me is that the budget of the movie is pretty tight, and they already brought back almost everyone, and Jerry is a big star with certain level of pay check, I’m just worry for a movie itself. I so want it to be special, it just seems that there are a lot of people already to fill the 2h movie.

Comment by kate – July 18, 2013 01:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t think I’d consider him a big star. Big-ish name recognition, maybe, but I doubt his roles in Scary Movie 5 and Piranha 3D garner him a huge paycheck.

Comment by Joeschmo – July 18, 2013 01:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was the fat kid who brought the comb in Stand By Me. That’s as big as he got.

Comment by jennrae – July 20, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would have preferred Sheriff Dick Casablancas or Sheriff Eli “Weevil Nararro. That would have been interesting. Or even one of the previous deputies could have gotten the big job. Jerry O’Connell was unnecessary. I hope he doesn’t mug his way through it. That seems to be his only acting style.

Comment by Doug – July 18, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post