Cory Monteith Remembered By Glee Co-Stars Dianna Agron and Naya Rivera

Cory-Monteith-dianna-Agron-Naya-RiveraTwo of Cory Monteith‘s former on-screen love interests are speaking out in the wake of the Glee star’s untimely death in a hotel room in Vancouver last Saturday.

RELATED | Cory Monteith Autopsy Results Released

“I have never lost a friend. In this difficult time, I am leaning on all of the wonderful memories we shared with Cory, how many ways he was able to make us smile,” said Dianna Agron, who played Quinn Fabray, the on-again, off-again girlfriend of Monteith’s Finn Hudson. “Glee was a gift to all of us. It gave us a family in this industry. We really cut our teeth and grew up on this show. In playing underdogs, we learned that we had dug into the hearts of our viewers and that we could stay there.

RELATED | Cory Monteith’s 10 Best Glee Moments

“Cory is so deserving of that place in everyone’s hearts,” Agron continued. “He was one of the most generous and kind people that I have ever met. He had a smart, curious mind, he was an enormous talent. He was loving to not only me, but my family. My heart goes out to his family, to [costar and Monteith's girlfriend] Lea [Michele], to everyone that is struggling with the loss of our friend. We will miss you Cory. We will always carry a piece of you with us.”

RELATED | How 22 TV Shows Handled an Actor’s Death

Naya Rivera, whose character Santana Lopez famously took Finn’s virginity, added to the chorus of co-workers who fondly remembered Monteith. “The entire Glee family and I are deeply saddened by this tragedy,” the actress said in a statement. “Cory was and always will be a part of my own family and a good friend. He was a special part of this world and will forever be missed. My heart goes out to Cory’s family and Lea, and while we are grateful for everyone’s well wishes, privacy during this time of grief is greatly appreciated.”

1. Elly says:

This is just terrible. It’s weird not to know him but be so heartbroken.

• AnnieM says:

I actually stopped watching the show early on this past season, but I still feel the same way. :-(

• Elly says:

I know what you mean, I was on the brink of stopping watching but if they kill him off, I don’t think ill watch again. I think they need to write him out for now and when the show ends it’ll be Rachel choosing the other guy or Finn who’s waiting for her somewhere- we’ll see her leave go go be with Finn forever. At least in the Glee universe they’ll get their happy ending that way.

• lydia says:

EXACTLY.

• Renee says:

I am still in disbelief and am so sad when thinking of Cory. He and Lea had true love and that is something you take to your grave. I am praying for her and for his family.

2. It still breaks my heart….

3. Chris says:

I feel the same way. I’m verysad. More than i wouldhave expected.

4. Sar says:

My god, Dianna’s comment was beautiful! He really must have touched a lot of people. Such as shame to lose someone who obviously did a lot of good for a lot of people. So tragic and so senseless.

5. Jillian says:

It actually helped me to read Dianna’s statement. She always has so much grace and class that it actually comforted me as I continue to wrap my head around this entire tragedy.

6. SpeedRcrX says:

Dianna always has a way with words.

7. Valerie Tower says:

What a beautiful and heartfelt tribute. This loss has really touched me. The real sadness of losing Cory is that he really made a huge impact on creating something positive and better in the world. Glee targeted the outsider, the freaks, the geeks and made so many of us feel like we weren’t alone. What a sad, sad time. My heart breaks for his family and the cast.

8. Linda says:

I am very heartbroken and very sad when I read about this terrible news. It felt like I knew him when I cried myself a river. It sounds like he was a great person inside and out to those who knew him and those who were fortunate enough to have met him.He will be missed.

9. Eliza says:

Not since Heath Ledger has a celeb’s death stayed on my mind pretty continuously since it was announced. They were both so young (28 & 31), talented, and down-to-earth, good guys. It’s very unfortunate their addictions cost them their lives.
    When Glee first came on the scene Cory Monteith quickly became a favorite. I haven’t watched Glee since season 2 but I was really hoping for good things for Cory. It’s just so sad his life is no longer.
    My heart goes out to his family & Lea. And to others who truly loved him and feel his loss.

10. Leigh says:

Don’t do drugs.

11. LeahKittyS says:

Thank you, Dianna and Naya for making these statements. I can only imagine the cast must be feeling. Of course, I never met him, the closest I came to that was seeing the Season 2 tour in Boston, but he played his part so convincingly, as they all do, that I feel like I have just lost a friend from my own high school. I ask this of all the other cast members, all my favorite singers on the radio, and all of my real-life friends: If you can shoot up with it, stay the hell away from it!

12. Alia says:

This is all so sad. I quit Glee early in Season 2, but I’ve always remained fond of the cast. This feels more personal than it seems like it should. Glee family, my prayers are with you.

13. EJ says:

I remember seeing him and the rest of the Glee cast film their very first day in NYC in April 2011 at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Cory Monteith was grinning from ear to ear the whole time, taking photos on his phone of everyone and everything. He and the actor who played Puck seemed very tight, like a couple of pranksters. This is so very sad.

14. Ethel says:

I just hope his “friends” who helped supply him with the heroin and alcohol, knowing he was just out of rehab, are damn proud of what they have done. They have helped ruin the lives of several people and his parents will never be the same again. I wish some kind of criminal charges could be brought against these “friends”

15. Eli says:

The last death that effected me this much (other than personal family death’s) was probably Ritter.

16. Billie says:

To the people saying they will stop watching if they kill Finn off? Why would you just want him to run off into the sunset with no word? It would be silly to do that because Finn would never come back for future nationals lifts birthdays.and if Kurt and Blaine do get married Finn would be there but it’s impossible do you not think it would be better to have Finn die and see all the cast do a tribute episode to him and episode where they talk about how much they miss him and why he was such a good guy. Cory deserves more than a passing comment as him exit from the show. I know it will be so difficult for everyone to film it especially lea but do you not think that cory deserves it I know I do.

17. D says:

He did drugs, no sympathy

18. Aanys, Aanys Frankee says:

When i heard abt his death, i without a doubt cry my heart out. Hoping that one day i will meet him. It is now all broken hopes. Be strong Lea and I HOPE YOU’RE OKAY UP THERE CORY. :(

19. Yvonne.4m nigeria says:

One of d sweetest,friendly, unproud,talented,v ever seen as a male celeb.he ws also cute.its so hurtful dat his life got short.i jus cnt stop crying n filing sober,i love him so much.i pray dat God forgives him his sins,n God sends a comforter to his loved ones ,family n mostly lea mitchelle.

20. S says:

so sad seeing him gone now.
    i can’t say that addiction is not a choice, because it is. He could have any other options other than drugs, but oh well.

aside for his addiction, it’s still making me cry because he’s such a talented actor. (it’s STILL unfortunate that he made a wrong decision that lead to his death though.,)

21. S says:

It IS a choice.

22. Ashley says:

I am saddened by not only Cory’s death but the amount of people on here bashing him for his addiction. Yes, addiction is a choice, but it as a malicious and cunning disease and it spares no mercy. Addiction does not discriminate. I work in the field of substance abuse and have met many wonderful people through my work as a counselor in a treatment center. Just because someone is an addict does not mean they are a bad person and deserve to have negative things said about them for everyone to read. If you don’t have anything nice to say, you probably shouldn’t say anything at all. People reading this are likely grieving Cory’s death and trying to remember him in a positive way. Cory will be greatly missed and my prayers go out to all that loved him, especially his family and Lea.

23. Robert Mendes says:

Well I read all these comments and think to myself how could you want it handled any other way. Finn should be just written off for awhile. Cory died. So in honor and respect Finn Hudson should, and then be honored in the correct way. I will never not watch this show. We all have to understand that Cory would want lea and Ryan Murphy to continue with what this show did for everyone In the world. Letting us know that no matter who you are or what has happened in yore life that glee in its very definition about opening you’re self up to joy. And glee opened us up to some the greatest joy for the past 4 years. To do it any other way would e an insult to Cory’s memory.