Showtime Renews Ray Donovan for Season 2

Get More: Renewals

ray donovan renewedShowtime has renewed rookie drama Ray Donovan for a second season.

Ray Donovan is on track to be our biggest Season 1 show ever,” said network president David Nevins in a statement. “[Series creator] Ann Biderman and the extraordinarily talented creative team, coupled with the brilliant ensemble cast led by Liev Schreiber, have produced one of the hottest new dramas of the year. We are proud and excited to pick up another season.”

The series, which stars Schreiber as a Hollywood fixer, made history last month as Showtime’s best series launch to date. Even more impressive, the show grew 15 percent in its second week to 2.2 million viewers.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated to reflect Ray‘s pickup.

Comments (53)

• Is this show good? Thought about watching but didn’t want to get too involved if it wound up getting cancelled.

Comment by megan – July 16, 2013 09:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If you like shows that have no redeeming characters, then you’ll love it.

Comment by Smiley – July 16, 2013 09:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Fantastic show! Liev Schreiber’s casting is perfect. Don’t look for the good guy/gal because there really isn’t one but the show rocks! So glad it’s been renewed. More than a one season renewal would be better.

Comment by Robin Cohen – July 16, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think it’s good, but I like anti-hero shows.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 16, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Me too, love the good bad guy, esp with the celebrities, but the crap with his family, such as his mentally challenged bros and his neurotic wife, lost me!

Comment by brutony – July 16, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Donovan is brilliant,i can only think of one USA show that compares and Tony Soprano has gone.I do hope that the makers give it a long run,sheer class.

Comment by Bruce Wilson – October 3, 2013 11:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m also Terry in the UK. IT’S BEEN MY BEST SHOW OF THE YEAR. not in Sooranos or Mad Men class but amazingly acted by a superlative cast. Finished two days ago in the UK and I willmiss it immensely.

Comment by Terry Baker – October 3, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It looks like its based on the videogame GTA :)

Comment by Don – December 6, 2013 06:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is full of action but yes, the characters have little redeeming qualities as human beings. I personally love the show, much better on TV than in real life.

Comment by Cm Rock – December 18, 2013 10:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is one of the best shows to come out of USA for as long as I remember. John Voight is absolutely brilliant, what an actor. Get the first series asap, trust me it is fantastic.

Comment by Corkie – March 19, 2014 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!! I adore this show. NOT quite as much as love “The Newsroom” but close!!!

Comment by Judy Shepps Battle – July 16, 2013 09:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess it was inevitable it would get renewed, but it’s just such a terrible show. I like Liev, but not here.

Comment by Peanut – July 16, 2013 09:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh…whatever. I’m SO glad that more people loved this show than hated it. I am so hooked.

Comment by Lydia – March 24, 2014 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Donovan and his wife are the NEW Tony Soprano and his wife. They have the same type of conflicting love/hate relationship. Glad it is being renewed.

Comment by Warner – July 16, 2013 10:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been waiting for this show a long time, but first 2 episodes was bad. Really bad. Plot is good for soap opera not for premium cable tv show. I’ll watch at least whole first season, but as right now i’m not impressed.

Comment by Maxim Knyazev – July 16, 2013 10:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best. News. Ever.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 16, 2013 10:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not sure why I like it – lots of violence,seen and implied, but great actors involved with the show. The one thing I really like is that Ray does try to help the underdog – the down-trodden. He’s a good guy in wolf’s clothing. Glad they’re bringing it back for another season to see what develops.

Comment by Linda Pollari – July 16, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Seriously? You are comparing this show to the Sopranos? This show doesn’t hold a candle to the Sopranos. Liev Schreiber is a great actor but the show is really boring. I will stick to Olivia Pope on Scandal.

Comment by JessPinkman – July 16, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ugh…Scandal SUCKS. I MUCH rather liked this show.

Comment by Lydia – March 24, 2014 04:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Tried to watch it, liked the first half of the pilot, but as soon as it got into the Family stuff, it lost it for me! His wife, a combo of Carmela Soprano and Roseann, cant get off the show fast enough

Comment by brutony – July 16, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • fantastic show more than I expected great cast we need more shows like this
    it’s like reading a good book you want more and more, it’s that good we need shows like this instead of the reality shows etc. I am a senior citizen and it shows life as it is raw and
    and real things happen its not all sunshine and flowers .

Comment by terry gordon – July 16, 2013 11:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m not liking the show nearly as much as I want to. Too much…stuff (epileptic starlet! the sex addict actor online chatting with Ray’s son! abuse!), but the bottom line, I think, is that the main character is really kind of boring.

Comment by Dennis Abrams – July 16, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was nor comparing Ray to Tony, I was talking about their marriages. Both wives knew, but ignored , How their husband’s made the money they spent so freely.

Comment by warner – July 16, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • thank god my summer sunday nights are now fullfilled with this great show…and the fact that it’s on HBO YOU people who think that it’s too violent……THAT’S WHY ITS ON HBO……DAHHHHHHHHHHH……go back to NBC or FOX as if the shows on those networks are any less violent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lynn – July 16, 2013 02:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Hey, righteous moron-it’s on SHOWTIME!

Comment by brutony – July 16, 2013 05:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • not where I live!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!MORON

Comment by Lynn – July 16, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • What the hell are you talking about, Lynn-its on Showtime EVERYWHERE! Check your local listings for time and CHANNEL!

Comment by brutony – July 16, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • International distribution means that the show is not stricltly on SHOWTIME., as that newtwork doesn’t exist around in all countries.Different countries show it on different networks.

Comment by I luv chicken – July 28, 2013 06:54 PM PDT
  • I love how quickly cable networks will renew their shows. They have faith in what they put on the air and are willing to give their shows a chance to let their audience and ratings grow. Unlike some other networks. Cough cough, NBC.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 16, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show, good players in all parts. Where do I find copper for it’s second season, it to is an anti hero show.

Comment by dasnake – July 18, 2013 12:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Copper, another one of my favs come on BBCA on Sundays.

Comment by warner – August 11, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I disagree. Ray continually tries to help the abused, but good people in the show. Those that shouldn’t be hurt by his actions. Watch more closely!!

Comment by Linda – August 10, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Linda, you are so right. Even after getting a person out of his client’s lives, he still makes sire they are ok.

Comment by warner – August 11, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m in the UK and its on Sky Atlantic. I’m loving it. Can’t wait for episode nine here and I hate it when each episode ends. I think its been superbly cast all the way from leads to bit parts. Fantastic. Not in the Sopranos/mad men/breaking bad class but compelling and entertaining non the less

Comment by Terry – September 4, 2013 02:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • AWESOME SHOW THE PEOPLE WHO LOST INTREST LOST OUT IT HAS REALLY LEAD UP TO A FINALE I DONT KNOW HOW Im GOING TO STAND WAITING ON PREMIERE 2 SEASON THE STORY has heated up hotter than i thought it would on first episode or two all I know is im hooked the cast and storyline is great keep it coming

Comment by DD – September 15, 2013 09:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show! Bring it back!!

Comment by Nick – September 23, 2013 06:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ray Donovan clean sharp well delivered great story line ,
    not one of the actors can be faulted great to see old school acting none of the over the top cgi being relied on .
    You’ve hit the ball out of the park on this one look forward to the second season keep up the great work .
    Cheerz

Comment by Philip dean – October 2, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sheer Class,looking forward too the next series

Comment by Bruce Wilson – October 3, 2013 11:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I also watch this in the UK on the awesome Sky Atlantic HD. This show has been one of the best I have ever seen. Extraordinary acting and a gripping suspenseful series of events that keep you hooked. Totally superb and a credit to all involved in the making of this show.

Comment by Andrew McLaren – October 7, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy the show very much. I think Liev is great and Jon Voight is EXCEPTIONAL!!

Comment by Tanja – October 27, 2013 09:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe a mistake to kill off James Woods but I have faith you will be in someone just as good! Great characters on every level of the show.
    I can’t wait for season 10!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment by Guy Hildebrand – October 28, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “BEST SHOW ON TELEVISION SINCE THE SOPRANO’S”. People are calling it The SOPRANO’S of the New Generation!!! Finally an AWSOME show since then!!!

Comment by DJ FAZIO – November 16, 2013 08:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show is amazing the 1st series was class can’t wait for the 2nd series!!

Comment by Gary – December 13, 2013 07:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great show!!Great cast!! I loved Leiv he plays his part perfectly. It’s different to any other show I’ve watched. Can’t wait for season 2:-)

Comment by Carly – December 15, 2013 04:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m very happy this is being renewed, I wish there was an episode on tonight! Excellent story lines, excellent characters…just an interesting and different world. That’s what good TV should be, riveting and different than real life.

Comment by Cm Rock – December 18, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So tired…just watched the whole series. Just couldn’t turn it off

Comment by Deni Dann – January 19, 2014 09:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, all you UK folks must have a different sense of entertainment, cuz this show definitely sucks! Good actors, dumb story line. Doesn’t hold a candle to true detective or to dexter for that matter!

Comment by Cubankahuna – February 8, 2014 03:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Each to their own,shouldn’t knock us Brits though,if we find a good prog from you good old boys you should be thankfull.Good TV isn’t all about throwing endless money into a series.
      Your good is very good but your bad is soooo bad–hey have a nice day.

Comment by Bruce Wilson – February 9, 2014 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I loved the first season. True Detective doesn’t start here until feb 26th so can’t comment on that.

Comment by Terry Baker – February 9, 2014 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thats right,,looking forward to it

Comment by Bruce Wilson – February 9, 2014 09:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post