Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother Exclusive: The Office's Ellie Kemper Joins Final Season

How I Met Your Mother Casts Ellie KemperThe guest list for Barney and Robin’s How I Met Your Mother nuptials continues to grow.

TVLine has learned exclusively that The Office‘s Ellie Kemper is joining the CBS hit’s ninth and final season.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Scoop on [Spoiler]‘s Romantic Duet

Kemper will play Cassie, “one of the most attractive, available, and — as Ted discovers — unfortunate guests at Barney and Robin’s wedding,” according to series co creators Carter Bays and Craig Thomas.

As of now, Kemper is set to appear in one episode.

Other previously announced castings for the season-long weekend wedding storyline include Wayne Brady returning as Barney’s brother and Cristin Milioti (now a series regular!) as The Mother. The View‘s Sherri Shepherd is also set to recur as a nemesis to Marshall.

HIMYM‘s farewell season kicks off Sept. 23.

Comments (25)

• Ellie Kemper is awesome! Too bad the show sucks now though and her casting will be wasted.

Comment by Kenneth Belliveau Journalism – July 16, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait, Sherri Shepherd’s character is recurring?! So Marshall will spend at least part of the season stranded in Minnesota and not interact with Lily and the rest of the gang? Wow, it’s like every day there’s a new and awful detail about the final season of a show I once used to love… :(

Comment by SJ – July 16, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sherri is also on a flight to NYC so it’s likely ahe lives or works in the sphere of Marshall’s life back in NY.

Comment by jessica – July 16, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah, but why would she stick around for the wedding? It looks she and Marshall will get kicked out of the plane (as already reported) and then the next flight will probably get delayed, then we’ll get a couple of in-the-plane episodes… unless, of course, they figure out a way to incorporate her character into the wedding party, which seems unlikely.

Comment by SJ – July 16, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe she is also invited to the weddding maybe not.
          Either way, maybe they both decide to head tgo NYC together in a “Due Date”-esque style.

Comment by Alice – July 16, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Maybe it just confirms that while the crux of the season is based on the wedding, there will be flashbacks/forwards as well.

Comment by Ashley – July 17, 2013 01:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Recur roles typically are multiple episodes but don’t necessarily mean half the season. Since its a half hour slot and they are jumping around to different characters, I’d wager Marshall is in a plane with this character for 2 maybe 3 episodes ;)

Comment by Jamie – July 16, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wait I thought the entire season was the big wedding weekend…will be weird with Marshall not around the gang for 3/4 of the season :(

Comment by belle – July 16, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is but it is a safe bet they will have a lot of flashbacks.

Comment by Sg. Grant – July 17, 2013 07:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess her pilot didn’t get picked up?

Comment by Quinn Mallory – July 16, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just waiting for the return of John Lithgow, Lucy Hale, and Ashley Benson that played Barney father and (half)sister, and Robins sister(and maybe her mother and father), it would make little sense if they didn’t make an appearance.

Comment by Mike R. – July 16, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Was thinking the same thing, would be very weird if they don’t appear at all

Comment by hello – July 17, 2013 02:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Was thinking same thing bout how weird it would be if their family wasn’t there but they had all these nondescript people I’ve been pretty much of an avid watcher of show & i missed couple episodes but since I’ve tuned back in pretty much same ole same ole & that’s Ted whining! lol but i love the show & will miss all the characters.

Comment by Terrence l. miller – July 18, 2013 07:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. Seriously they would have all these random people appear but not any of their family.

Comment by cas – July 17, 2013 05:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not to worry, guys. I’m sure they will milk all of the above for all they’re worth right now.

Comment by april-ann – July 17, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ok, I don’t think Marshall is going to be away for 3/4 of the season. Maybe Shepherd’s character follows him off the plane. The show does not suck, is the best multi camera show of the 21st century, and Ellie Freakin’ Kemper is in the 9th season!

Comment by Zach – July 16, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m assuming this season will continue with the jumbled narrative style they’ve established and that Sheri’s role will be largely told in the “flashback within a flashback” mode they’ve continued to use as Ted tells the comedic drama of “how everyone got to the wedding” — I like Ellie and I’m happy for her casting.

Comment by MM – July 16, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wow, Ellie Kemper should have been cast as the mom! Loved her on the office!!!

Comment by nikki – July 16, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That was my first thought too. Ellie Kemper plays quirky well, and we already know Ted’s wife is kind of an odd ball.

Comment by Susan – July 16, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t watch this show, but I would be willing to check out anything that features Ellie Kemper.

Comment by MC – July 16, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • THIS! I thought that the minute I saw her picture. I thought she looks like a much better mom and let’s face it, we will probably all like her character better than we like the moms.

Comment by cas – July 17, 2013 05:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Speak for yourself, “cas”. I love Cristina Milioti and think she’s perfect. Don’t judge the mom before we get to know her – and don’t speak on behalf of the fandom if you’re going to be a brat.

Comment by Arthur – July 17, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • You fully acknowledge we have yet to get to know the mom and say we shouldn’t judge her because of that. So, all judgement aside then, you say you “think she’s perfect”? Hypocrite much? And someone with a different opinion from yours is “a brat”??

Comment by april-ann – July 17, 2013 06:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • He wasn’t referring to the mom’s character as “perfect”, he was referring to the actress portraying the mother. We will all wait to see how she does, but I for one am positive she’ll be great. I’ve been a huge fan of hers for some time, she’s an absolute incredible talent and I’m sure will be a delight as long as people give her a chance, but we’ll have to wait and see. She’s an incredible actress and I expect her to be great.

Comment by Jordan – July 17, 2013 10:06 PM PDT