Oxygen Officially Cancels The Glee Project

Get More: Cancellations, Glee

glee project top 7 season 2It’s official: Oxygen has decided against ordering a third season of The Glee Project, the reality competition series that fed the Glee mothership with cast members including Blake Jenner, Alex Newell, Samuel Larsen and Damian McGinty.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The Glee Project will not be returning to Oxygen, but we are extremely proud of this series which launched the careers of several talented individuals,” the network announced. “The show had so much heart and we thank Ryan Murphy and all of the creative talent who helped make the series a critical darling.”

PHOTOS | Cory Monteith’s 10 Most Memorable Glee Moments

A source close to the show explained that the decision was made “several weeks ago,” and was in no way related to last weekend’s untimely death of Glee star Cory Monteith (who’d served as a guest mentor for one episode in Season 2).

TVLine reported in April that The Glee Project‘s future was in jeopardy, in part because Fox’s late renewal of Glee didn’t leave Oxygen enough time to get a new installment of The Glee Project up and running — while still being able to deliver a winning cast member in time to coincide with a fifth season of Fox’s high school musical.

The official cancelation news was first broken by The Hollywood Reporter.

Comments (33)

• I thought it was already canceled.

Comment by Wouter – July 16, 2013 11:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It didn’t make the schedule for this summer, but there was still a slight chance it would have been started up again later. This makes it official.

Comment by wordsmith – July 16, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s good. The last thing the show needs is anymore newbies.

Comment by anne – July 16, 2013 11:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I LOVED The Glee Project. It was one of the few reality shows that really excited me but it was ultimately detrimental to Glee so what’s the point? It just fills the show with tons of newbies that get no screentime. Of the six contestants that won guest spots, only one has proven a worthwhile addition to the show (Blake Jenner) although I still wish Aylin had been given a shot.

Comment by dude – July 16, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ummm, you’re forgetting Alex Newell.

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – July 16, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • baloney it had nothing to do with it-do ya think we just fell off the turnip truck!?

Comment by Valerie Shambo – July 16, 2013 11:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Did you just fall off the truck? It wasn’t given a summer order like it has the past two years and has been widely regarded as “in jeopardy” and “near death” for months. Does that sound like a show with good chances for renewal to you? How would Cory’s death at all affect the show besides the fact that he obviously wouldn’t serve as a mentor this year?

Comment by dude – July 16, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If it had any intention of returning they would have filmed it months ago. It has nothing to do with Cory.

Comment by Brittany – July 16, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bummer, i felt sometimes Glee Project was more entertaining than Glee itself. Oh well guess I don’t have to bother remembering what channel number Oxygen was on.

Comment by David Tapia – July 16, 2013 11:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly.

Comment by james – July 16, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ha – completely agreed. dang – I really liked this concept. I wonder if it could be applied to any other shows?…

Comment by ZisforZombie – July 16, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ditto. I find Glee incredibly annoying but I loved the Glee Project.

Comment by kavyn – July 16, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I stopped watching Glee well before I started watching The Glee Project and I quite liked it. Such a shame it was tied to Glee, I think the format could have potential as a reality TV series (as if we need more though) but it’s hard to draw viewers in such a niche genre without bringing existing viewers over (like they did from Glee). Network Ten in Australia did a somewhat similar show last year called “I Will Survive” (originally to cast an unknown as Tick in the Broadway production of “Priscilla, Queen of the Desert” but it closed halfway through) and that was cancelled due to low ratings.

Comment by Hannah – July 17, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THANK GOD!

No more Blake Jenners!

Comment by Ann – July 16, 2013 11:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me guess… it’s because Cory died isn’t it ;)

Comment by LOL – July 16, 2013 11:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • How is that in any way a “winky face” comment?

Comment by wordsmith – July 16, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It was said in the article the decision was made several weeks ago, and had nothing to do with Cory’s untimely death, since Fox renewed Glee late and didn’t give Oxygen enough time to find a winner in time for filming, of course that is moot now since filming will inevitably be delayed, but at the time Oxygen though filming would resume as scheduled.

Comment by Mike R. – July 16, 2013 11:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Looks like we won’t have the privilege of seeing another mediocre, straight white guy win TGP again. Oh well.

Comment by Nina – July 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Forreals. Can we get rid of the one that we have on Glee already. Total fail.

Comment by Ann – July 16, 2013 11:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • You think Oxygen could had held off on this news alittle longer. If this was decided weeks ago it’s pretty bad to announce it at this time. Seriously, Oxygen where is your head at? I never watched the network anyhow except this show -now i don’t need to go looking for it.

Comment by Sam – July 16, 2013 12:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoyed The Glee Project for the two summers it was on and was disappointed not to get to see it this summer. In some ways I enjoyed it more than the actual show.

Comment by Brenda – July 16, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am sure the decision had nothing to do with Monteith’s death, but it seems very strange to announce to so soon after.

Comment by steve o (@ravenwing263) – July 16, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wish Oxygen would come up with another show TGP-esque, maybe theatre hopefuls trying to make it? Just something to fill the void. I’ll miss Zack so much =\

Comment by Thea – July 16, 2013 12:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Network Ten in Australia tried that with “I Will Survive” but it was cancelled prematurely due to dismal ratings. I liked it, but I think it was probably too niche to draw a large enough audience to make it worthwhile. That’s why tying it to Glee worked so well, Glee viewers would tune in to see who would be joining the cast.

Comment by Hannah – July 17, 2013 09:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am really disappointed that Oxygen decided to cancel the Glee Project, I was really hoping they would come back for a 3rd season, especially considering how good season 2 was. I’m gonna miss it, and I really enjoyed it more than Glee itself, I’m mad about the unexpected cancellation. Ryan, Zach, Robert and Nikki are great mentors, and Blake was the perfect choice for a winner, and he’s the only Glee Project contestant who had any REAL acting ability. Honestly, they could wait till after season 5 of Glee and then do a 3rd season of TGP before season 6 of Glee starts.

Comment by Kobe Busia – July 16, 2013 01:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Shame. I like it better than Glee, actually.

Comment by Vetle – July 16, 2013 02:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Even though I believe this was already rumored along time ago, it’s pretty weird that they chose this time to make this statement. Anyways, I have no problem with this! Considering all of the people that came on Glee from this show were just really bad, this is a good thing.
    Blake Jenner – Can’t stand Ryder, That love triangle was one of the worst parts of season 4. Don’t like his acting and the character is just awful especially that never ending catfish storyline.
    Damian McGuinty – Out of all the people who came on Glee from TGP, he was the worst. Can’t act at all. Boring character. Nice voice, but completely useless!
    Alex Newell – I liked the character in Season 3 when he was out of McKinnley. Small doses were okay. I like his voice, but season 4 Unique was just not great at all.
    Samuel Larson – With their completely lack of interest in his existence on his show, its clear that there is nothing left to do with him.

Comment by A – July 16, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • it’s pretty weird that they chose this time to make this statement… right now** (correction)

Comment by A – July 16, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Actually the Glee project season 1 was fantastic. Those kids were great together. Unfortunately the writers ruined Damian and Samuel with poor characters on glee. Wish Oxygen would consider a reunion for season one kids

Comment by dee – July 16, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dang it. I really did like Glee Project, getting to meet 12-14 people who (mostly) actually understand the true meaning of Glee: embracing your differences and being in tune with who you are. I would’ve liked to have a season where a true underdog would have won and inspired an amazing role on the show. (Not that Blake, Samuel, and Damian weren’t deserving of winning; just that the only person who I thought truly won the ‘inspiration contest’ and created a truly unique character was Alex.)

Comment by Gleeky13 – July 16, 2013 10:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s alright. They couldn’t get any better than Blake Jenner anyway. That kid is a gem.

Comment by Ruby – July 16, 2013 10:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • All due respect to Blake, they could have found a winner who was:
      1. An amazing actor
      2. An amazing singer
      3. A truly unique character to the show
      4. A real underdog
      5. Extremely relatable.

Not that I’m complaining about Blake. He IS a gem; just, he didn’t exactly win this “inspiration contest” in my eyes. I was hoping for a season for someone who could.

Comment by Gleeky13 – July 18, 2013 12:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The Glee Project was my favorite TV show. I wish I owned a Studio to produce the Glee Project 3.

Comment by Barry Roxy – July 20, 2013 09:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post