True Blood Renewed for Season 7

Get More: Renewals

true blood renewed season 7HBO is thirsty for more True Blood: The cabler has renewed the vampire drama for a seventh season, to launch in Summer 2014.

Executive producer Brian Buckner, who last March replaced Mark Hudis as showrunner, will remain in that role for Season 7.

RELATED | True Blood Twist: It’s Eric Vs. Pam in a Duel to the Death

True Blood, which is midway through its sixth season, “remains a signature show for HBO, and a true phenomenon with our viewers,” said HBO programming prez Michael Lombardo in a statement. “Thanks to Brian and his talented team, the show continues to be a thrill ride like nothing else on TV.”

HBO declined to say how many episodes Season 7 will consist of, but sources put the number once again at 10.

The show’s Season 6 premiere last month drew 4.5 million viewers, off 14 percent from Season 5′s opener.

TVLine’s Cable Renewal Scorecard has been updated!

Tags: ,

Comments (55)

• Reblogged this on Eric Eric Eric and commented:
    Yay!!! Not that I was worried they wouldn’t be, but it gives us a solid footing for next season in case they decide that it does become the final one. At least one more year of Eric!

Comment by myvikingboyfriend – July 15, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you.

Comment by Aolani08 – July 15, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree I can’t get enough of true blood I hope they run as long if not longer then the the tv show Friends but the same cast needs to all stay not die off one by one so HBO keep it going true blood and Game of thrones is the only reason I even have HBO if they go I go as a viewer sorry but its the same old movies and the other show tv series are not that interested as these 2

Comment by Cricket – August 23, 2013 11:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLEASE LET SEASON 7 BE THE FINAL SEASON! Season 6 is awesome, but i can’t see too much story for 2 more seasons

Comment by gabriel anthony – July 15, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why would anyone want the show to end ?

Comment by mac – July 15, 2013 10:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The only thing I want to end on this show is Alcide. This season has done absolutely nothing for him or sam for that matter, and when they come on screen I instantly want them off of it. I’m so bored by those two characters.

Everything else has been interesting at least.

Comment by Jake – July 15, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree I want the wolfs off the show they suck! Without them the show is Awesome!!!!

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i will like to see them kill of willa because she is also boring and when is come on i want her of to

Comment by northmanfan – October 2, 2013 10:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I do not want the show to end!! I hope there is a season 8 and 9!!!! There are so many fans out there who love this show!

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • well if they had stuck with the storyline of the sookie stackhouse books there would be like 13 seasons.

Comment by Allyssa – July 28, 2013 11:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Love those books, but some of the story lines would not have transferred well for a television adaptation, in my opinion. Plus, I like that they mix it up, it keeps me guessing.

Comment by A. – July 29, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • S6 has been much better than S5. If they’d just end the werewolves/shifter stuff everything would be great (not saying they need to get rid of all those characters but at the very least make them merge with the main storyline or just have them be more filler for the town).

Comment by Tim – July 15, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show was always campy, but this season it’s way over the top campy! The characters are increasingly bizarre mess of their former selves.It should have ended at least 3 seasons ago.The writing is the worst it has ever been.If it wasn’t on the “prestigious” HBO it would be considered trash TV.

Comment by yless – July 15, 2013 10:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ug, ‘prestigious’ HBO is right. I hate how there’s such a cultural belief that everything they do is ‘so excellent’ that no one really takes a critical eye to it. Like, its on HBO so it must be good right. Its frustrating. Especially for fantasy/scifi stuff; other networks do it and get no recognition, yet suddenly HBO does some and suddenly its like the Second Coming.
      I’ve never really cared for HBO; they use gratuitous sex and violence to cover up huge writing flaws

Comment by liz – July 15, 2013 10:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What cultural belief, HBO has as much critics as it does people who praise it. True Blood in its current form receives very mixed reviews, not to mention the Newsroon is not universally loved anywhere, and how about Girls, especially the audience hates that show while critics were mixed on its second season. There is no cultural belief that HBO is the God of cable television.

Comment by Mike R. – July 15, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • HBO, and Showtime, program for the adults who pay for it, not to the level of the twelve year old who might watch. They make it so pathetically clear that the other channels are censoring their content to comfort the cowardly corporations who buy ad’s. The language, nudity, and sex only appear to be gratuitous in comparison to the pablum on “regular” TV. In real life adults do curse, tell and laugh at actually dirty jokes, smoke, drink, and get naked with each other. The writing may not always be Shakespeare, who also wrote for adults, and not everything is to my tastes; but I don’t usually feel like my intelligence is being insulted or that I’m being treated like a child.

Comment by Tahoe Mike – July 15, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Amen, you want to watch bad tv watch Hawaii 5/0 then you will believe that HBO is heaven sent

Comment by Tim – August 11, 2013 12:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is great and for those who do not Like it then shut up and do not watch it. It all a matter of opinion. But those who complain just do not watch it. There are ton s of fans who love this show and it is not trash TV. If it was it would not captured millions of viewers HBO or not I hope there are 10 seasons

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • There’s some great stuff that I would love to see if they started going back to some of the books material. It’s getting too chaotic, but I’m glad Season 6 seems to be fiing Season 5 things. But at the rate the show has made humans vs vampires become, it’s going to be hard to get out of this corner.

Comment by Dillon – July 15, 2013 10:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • except they Have to in order to get back to the core of True Blood! We all miss the story lines that were good and you looked forward to! ‘Back to basics’ if you will! Enough of the damn experimental camp BS! Explore more of the Fae and Vamp juicy story lines….enough of Human vs Vamps BS as if it wasn’t always there! Pray the writers don’t drag this out much longer! I am going to So miss PAM!

Comment by Debbie – July 17, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited with this news! Wish it would just keep going for 7 more!! Best show!!!

Comment by katrina – July 15, 2013 10:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love this show!!!!!! So happy hope there are plenty more seasons to still come!!

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i really like how this season is going. Things are come more and more interesting, so i’m really glady to see this renewal. i’ve got admitt that i was a little afraid before the season starts..so, yay to this!

Comment by t86 – July 15, 2013 10:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season is much better than four and five. Glad to here the renewal but I think the show should end season 7 or 8.

Comment by Shows – July 15, 2013 10:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thats great!!! But we need our 12 episodes back HBO!!! This 10 episode stuff is ridiculous!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – July 15, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, why won’t this terrible, terrible show just die already?

(And to those who would say that I just shouldn’t watch it if I don’t like it, I don’t; not anymore. But it’s still taking up a timeslot that could/should be used on a new show.

Comment by Superhero – July 15, 2013 11:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOVE IT. True Blood never dies.

I dont know if you have crap taste or not, but you gotta be blind not to see that season 6 is 100000000000000000 x better than season 5. The new showrunner was risky but he did a damn good job.

Comment by Anil – July 15, 2013 11:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This show is awesome!!!! People who trash this show have bad taste !! So glad about another season! The show is getting better then last season. Hope there is a season 8 & 9!!!!

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. I love what’s happening this season I just hope, hope, hope that it isn’t Pam that’s dying next week.

Comment by Bobby – July 15, 2013 11:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 7 should be the final season. Right now Sookie is so pissed off with the supernatural world and maybe she gave uo with her fairy powers and becoming a normal person. But this show is about addiction.. to blood, to sex, to be powerful and the supernatural world, so, anything could happen, even a death vamp fairy Sookie, I hope not.

I hope Sookie doesn’t end up with,..(I don’t write anytihing if you want to read how the book series end). I prefer Sookie alone, or at least leaving Bon Temps for good, ala Claire Fisher on Six Feet Under (the other successful show from Alan Ball’s head)

Comment by Fernanda – July 15, 2013 12:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • why cant this show just end already im sick of it they use sex to much to cover everything up and they use it to get more viewers hope season 7 will be the last then or season 6 if it gets cancelled for season 7 this is bullcrap

Comment by Angel – July 15, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe I’m missing something, but there have been hardly any sex scenes at all in season 6. What, 3-4 major ones in a total of 8 episodes? In fact, compared to the other seasons, s6 is very much focused on plot and character development. I’m enjoying it a lot, although I do agree that the werewolves’ and also Sam’s storylines are exhausted and increasingly boring.

Comment by Ophelia – August 5, 2013 11:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t know if True Blood is going to last seven or eight season tops.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 15, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 6 is Great !
    I’m glad TB has been renewed.
    I wouldn’t mind it Warlow and Sookie got together next season.
    Fae blood was unstable but Bill may synthesize Warlow’s blood for the New True Blood.
    I wonder if vampires could walk in the sun like Warlow if they drank it ?

Comment by Whatever – July 15, 2013 02:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like the show has been renewed for another season. This season started off great and i’m glad the action is happening away from Fangtasia. I can’t wrap my head around 6 seasons and Bill now Ben/Warlow and Sookie can feel love from them but can’t grasp the concept from Eric! Nora is wasted space, Willa, is wasted space, and Bon Temps need more male vampires besides Bill and his progeny Warlow oh by the way if Bill wants Sookie he can command Warlow to hand her over. I guess in the end AB and CH gets what they want in the end.

Comment by aolani08 – July 15, 2013 03:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m love TB, am happy it’s renewed. LOL at those that beg for it please to be cancelled. Does someone or something compel you to watch it against your will?

Comment by Sandi – July 15, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree those who trash the show why do you watch it? Haha! Are you secretly addicted?? I love this show and hope it lasts many more seasons :-)

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great News! I will watch True Blood until the end regardless, but I feel a lot better about it seeing that the show has improved so much over last season.

Comment by Sarah – July 15, 2013 07:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood has always been about The Mystique and The Comedy, with all the nudity and swearing we love to watch with it.Every season the main characters evolve as the secondary ones cause all the conflict.My problem is with the stragglers that are causing nothing but boring storylines for the secondary ones.The one big mistake they made was taking the beloved Sam,killing off his Luna & thus killed one of the main heart chambers of the show.The storyline with Bill is just getting too high tech with his Spok-like aura for the La. swampish Bon Temps nature of the show that I really love.Just when the whole AVL show was over they had to bring on another sterile institution for the “Dirty South” aspect that gave TB its edge in the first place.However, I would still love to see TB go to it’s 8th season.

Comment by Vikki – July 16, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news. And as people have said, this season is so much better than last! I’m really digging this season. Does anyone feel like you could basically have skipped over S5 and not missed anything too important? I feel like they could have covered the events of S5 in two or three episodes, cut out most of the Authority crap, and give us a 12-season run back. But excited to see where things are going!

Comment by Faster – July 16, 2013 10:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is RIDICULOUS!!!! This show needs to end NOW!!! I’m getting so sick of the human prejudice in this show. No matter how many humans they rape, kill and torture, the main cast of vamps is always made to be the victims and the humans are just ignorant haters. I’m so sick of all these new age hippies on the show like Willa and the girl that threw the tomato at Gov. Burrell saying crap like: “No, don’t hurt the poor vampires.” Even as they continue to kill humans for sadism and blood lust. Are you INSANE?! They never talk about what the humans on the show have suffered (except for Sookie) only the poor vamps who can’t rip people apart anymore because someone will notice. Boo-frickin-hoo!!! And another thing, comparing vamp rights to Gay rights is just SICK!!! That’s right, that’s what they do. All the “God hates fangs” and “fanger” references they throw around has fans and critics saying this is too similar to gay rights, and my gay friends agree that it’s tasteless. Like remember in Season 5 at Fangtasia when Jess is talking to Tara about being newly turned and Tara says she has all these new feelings? Like wanting to rip peoples heads off? And what does Jess say? That’s right, she says “these feelings are not wrong” and “It gets better”. Both of which my gay friends found very tasteless and insulting. In short, I’m sick of the writers trying to make the audience feel sorry for vamps and like some great historical crime is being committed when humans try to protect themselves by killing a monster race who wants to enslave all humanity, simply because it gives them a hard on or because “God told them to do it.” ‘Nuff said!!

Comment by Matt – July 17, 2013 07:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt you just need to TURN THE CHANNEL!!!!!

Comment by Lowe – July 28, 2013 09:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt this is TV….. It is not real!!!!!!!!

Comment by Lowe – July 28, 2013 09:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Matt you need to turn channel holy bonkers if you have so many issues with show do not watch it!! I love the show and all it has to say and give it s what us true blood fans love!!! But you need to turn the channel for your own sanity after reading your post ha! Holy bonkers haha! But for me love this show!!! Hope it lasts forever ;-)

Comment by Mary – August 4, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • excellent post, i certainly enjoy this website, continue it

Comment by theo – July 20, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want more …love the show but have to keep eric an bill alive got to wait so long season 7 ugh

Comment by jen – July 26, 2013 12:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • For the hater poster above who posted about hating the show dont watch it that Simple!!! great show awesome plot

Comment by jen – July 26, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wish True Blood would carry on forever :-D The thought of there only being 1, maybe 2 seasons left seriously depresses me :-( i watch it online every week, but waiting a whole week for each episode is torture! I have a seriou

Comment by sophie – August 1, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I would be so happy if there won’t be any shifters and [especially!] werewolfs, because they are really BORING. :/

Comment by Fan – August 2, 2013 08:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • True Blood is an HBO staple, and I’ll watch regardless of my feelings about certain conclusions…that said, seasons 1 and 3 are my favorite. While the show rightly takes creative deviations from the books, I think they’ve strayed too far. How Bill progressed from Sookie’s first love (basically, a vampire “techie”) in the books to divinity, I’ll never know. Even for fantasy, it’s far-fetched.

Comment by Jess – August 4, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show. I got gay friends to and they love it to. Hopping sookie will be turned and cant wait for a new season. Btw Matt keep writing BS ill make the popcorn

Comment by Rall – August 6, 2013 09:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you don’t like the show then don’t watch it! I love TrueBlood and can’t wait to see more!!!!!

Comment by amanda frampton – August 10, 2013 11:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This season (in my opinion) is SO much better than the last couple. I love how the story lines are not as complicated, I can tell that they are getting back to the core of the show. Definitely looking forward to the finale and next season for sure. There are plenty of directions this show could go in and I hope Eric returns too. Some fans may not like Warlow/Sookie and that’s fine but for me they are one of my favorites, very eager to see their connection and how it will impact the show/other characters.

Comment by Manda – August 11, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love True Blood to last until I die of old age. (I’m 23)
    I would like to see more sex and violence though, but more sex than violence. Specially gay sex,
    P.S: If HBO didn’t exist I wouldn’t have a tv.

Comment by ericwithjasonandwarlow – August 12, 2013 12:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can´t help myself, but I think they miscasted the Sam character – the actor is so unappealing, uninteresting, dull..and with him the whole Sam-storyline..I just utterly failed to connect.I even reconsidered buying the DVDs because I was so thoroughly bored by his storyline (in every season of TB) and did not want to keep fast forwarding when watching it. Alcide´s storyline is a bit off in season 6, but at least his character is intriguing. Sam is just the same dull old, same dull old and I don´t care about him at all..

Comment by hobbitko – August 18, 2013 05:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post