Psych Scoop: Mira Sorvino Joins (Likely) Final Season -- Is She Replacing Maggie Lawson?

Psych Mira SorvinoOscar-winning actress Mira Sorvino is joining the cast of Psych for a multi-episode arc, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Psych‘s (Likely) Final Season Gets Bigger

Sorvino will play the Santa Barbara Police Department’s newest head detective, Betsy Brannigan — an incredibly sweet, adorably reserved and yet certified badass. Brannigan’s record for taking down ruthless criminals is rivaled only by her skills in sparkly craft making, and her seemingly bubbly demeanor can turn on a dime once she straps in the dual-wielded Colt .45s. She’s a scrapbooking, cat loving, crime-fighting machine.

She’ll first appear in the seventh episode of the show’s upcoming eighth and likely final 10-episode season.

Her casting comes as Psych leading lady Maggie Lawson is preparing to juggle both the USA comedy and her new ABC sitcom Back in the Game. As a result of her new gig, Lawson is slated to appear in only a handful of Psych episodes. Sorvino is likely being brought in to fill some of that void.

1. Tim says:

Wait Maggie Lawson won’t be in the final season? (The tweet linking me here sort of made it sound like that…)

• Esaul says:

She is in season eight (which may or may not be the final season. No confirmation yet), but she’s also cast in an ABC show. Her appearances on Psych will be limited now because of this.

2. Bruceeff says:

I think the producers are sniffing out a possible spinoff here.

3. Cherry says:

Great news. Mira is a talented woman!

4. Briana says:

I think they should bring back Anne Dudek- you know, come full circle. She’s a great actress who was criminally underused on Covert Affairs. I like Mira Sorvino but why bring someone new into it when there’s someone that awesome who’s already a part of the show’s history?

• ScrubsGuy says:

I thought they replaced her character after the pilot because she didn’t test well with audiences. Not a negative comment on Anne Dudek, who has done great work on House also.

• Alan says:

there was something in the background a few episodes back (cant remember which one) which said it was a memorial for her character so i think she was killed off screen sometime since then.

• philly billy says:

Finally someone speakin intelligently, anne dudek makes the absolute most sense and kudos to u for puttin it out there girl BANG BANG POW POW, most idiots probably don’t even remember she was lassies girl in the pilot who got transferred out cause of their secret rleationship, I say DO IT

• pineapplegirl123 says:

If you also remember, they said in an episode that Lassie attended a memorial for his former partner… so Lucinda is dead? Hm, to bad. It would have been cool to see her come back.

5. ScrubsGuy says:

New head detective? Is Lassiter leaving also?

6. PLD says:

That stinks, (possible) final season and there’s only 10 episodes???? And no Jules??? I am totally going to boycott that ABC series…looks stupid anyways. Nothing against Mira she’s great, but come on, give us more than 10 eps! Won’t even be worth putting on DVD
    :((

• Lauren says:

Where does it say “no Jules”? Yeesh.

• TommyGun says:

There are 17 episodes… Mira will be in the last 10… Maggie Lawson’s contract with ABC limits her to % episodes on Psych… They may let her out to do more, but that’s a big MAYBE.

7. Alan says:

sounds more like a replacement for lassie than for jules. probably this is the first part of the set up for finishing the show (standard end of show everyone leaves and is replaced by someone else ending)

• pineapple says:

I don’t think they’d do that. Besides, I don’t think the got rid of Lassie, I think he’s back to being a detective, but not head detective anymore. No one at the station is suitable for the position so maybe they brought in her? Complete speculation, but come on, doesn’t it make sense?

8. Ashley says:

I don’t think they need to “fill the void” with only 10 episodes left. Why can’t they do an episode or two on a case that doesn’t (or barely) involve the police? How about actually using the character of Karen Vick beyond the scene or two she gets in most episodes? Or let Marlowe Lassiter get in on the action for an episode as an informant or a bridge between the investigators and the world of women convicts? How about one that focuses on the boys (like the brilliant “Last Night Gus”)? Why is it that they feel compelled to “fill the hole” with a brand-new character when they’ve got plenty of regular and recurring characters around to do so already?

9. Amber says:

AGREED. She sounds like Juliet 2.0. But there is no way Juliet can be replaced. Plus, I’d be willing to bet money that Maggie comes back for at least the final episode.

10. CosmoMan says:

I understand Maggie Lawson taking advantage of another opportunity, especially if this will be the last season of Psych. But I don’t understand all of the other changes. Why get rid of the Chief? Why demote Lassie? Keep the formula the same as the show says goodbye.

11. bobbie says:

As long as there’s Shawn and Gus, I’ll be happy.

12. Erin says:

my heart just broke with the facts of two things: final season, and if final season less juliet. im happy for maggie lawson on a new gig but as a fan of the show im very hurt.

• Jake says:

They haven’t even hinted at this being the final season, that has all been conjecture on the part of another site.

13. Tricia says:

Theory: They need a new head detective because LASSIE JOINS PSYCH.

14. Ali says:

So NCIS is losing Ziva, Maggie Lawson is going to be in some of the episodes of Psych and Glee loses its main star Cory Monteith (RIP). This isn’t a good week:(

15. liz says:

Cool. She’s talented, be great to see her interact with Gus and Shawn. Some new blood probably isn’t the worst idea ever either. And more Lassyface!!

16. Sisi says:

An incredibly sweet, adorably reserved and certified badass. Hmm….

17. Kayla says:

It is beyond annoying that every time this site posts something about Psych, they add “likely final season.” We get it. The show was largely ignored on here until this year and now all they can talk about is how it’s (likely) ending.

18. Jon says:

I agree with the above posting. So what if it’s the “likely final season”? No need to rub salt in the wound. No need to keep repeating that phrase in every story regarding Psych.

19. Mac says:

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, NO!!!! LESS MAGGIE LAWSON/JULIET = THE DEATH OF PSYCH Juliet is irreplaceable (and my favorite character) and without her the show should not be allowed to continue. I certainly will not be watching any of the episodes that she isn’t in. I love Maggie but i am also very mad and upset with her for taking on a new show this close to the end of Psych. It’s very cruel, sad and unfair. That’s my opinion and i do not care whether people like or not, that’s how i feel.

20. Mac says:

Oh, and according to co-star Tim Omundson, Maggie’s reduced appearance in season 8 has apparently nothing to do with her new show. I find it hard to believe but that’s what he said. He also hinted that she may not be the only cast member appearing in fewer episodes.

21. VoodooChicken says:

NOBODY wants to lament Buzz McNabb getting fired also? He was always my favorite character, but they never figured out how to use him properly beyond maybe one episode a year. The show needs more Buzz less Woody!

22. djkslfgjs says:

who cares if maggie lawson isnt in it anymore let the show continue! she was always kind of a background character anyway

• Kayla says:

She was one of the main characters. A background character for example would be McNabb.

• I wouldn’t go so far as to say she’s a background character, but I agree… Shawn and Gus are the stars of the show. I think they’ve kept her around and added more bulk to her character simply b/c they are a couple in real life. The only funny moment with her was when she shot the bow and arrow. Other than that, never really bought that she’s supposed to be a tough cop.

23. Susan says:

I am sure that it will all work out :) I, too, would hope to see the character of Buzz back, for this season. Woody can be kind of annoying…….

24. PStrickland says:

Who cares. Psych jumped the shark this season and has become annoying and stupid

• Sadly, I must agree. Psych used to be a show I made a point to watch. They’ve taken Shawn and Gus from clever and funny to juvenile and plain silly. The episodes that focus more on them solving cases are sooo much more interesting than the ones that focus on their relationships with the women in their lives.

25. ChuckMe Forever says:

No Jules….Not Watching….The best parts of the show were the Shawn Jules interactions.
    We want Jules… We want Jules… We want Jules… We want Jules ….come on folks lets get this done….

• Lyss says:

She is in at least five episodes, maybe more if her BITG schedule permits (they are on hiatus already so she has the opporunity to get some BITG obligations out of the way, and Comic Con of course!), so I would keep watching if I were you!

26. jrobpaq says:

Nothing makes me sadder than the fact that this is Psych’s last season, and that Maggie wont be as present as I’d like.

27. Maddy. says:

All I really want in the (likely) final season is a little bit if shules, or they get engaged in the final episode or something huge regarding shules. Is that so much to ask?

28. Philly says:

Maggie knows Psych is done so she took advantage of a chance for a new show, who can blame her. I didn’t like the way last season ended with all the changes and such, but that’s Hollywood for you. I’m not too keen on Mira Sorvino, but as stated before as long as Gus and Shawn are still the primary focus it should still be entertaining.

29. Kayla says:

Psych will only go downhill without Maggie Lawson and there being a new head detective. I would love for Psych to go on with the way things are now, but as they say, all good things come to an end.

30. Sarah says:

They never said that this going to be their last season. Until USA announces it is the last season like burn notice I will believe that there will be another. People thought they were going to end on season 3 4 and 5 and they are going in to season 8. And being in all these new characters for the department. Yes it sad that we are not going to see Jules as much but that doesn’t mean it’s over. It would be funny if Shawn and Jules get pregnant and see how Shawn deals wIth her being pregnant. If it’s the last season then I hope they go out with a bang!

31. chris says:

Is anyone else sad that mcnab is out?

32. Cath says:

MORE BUZZ MCNAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

33. Gwendolyn Benthul says:

(Likely)? the last season. I surely hope not. It’s the best show on TV currently. I’m tired of my TV shows being shut down before their prime.

34. Gerri Cassidy says:

love McNabb, love Woody. The person who casts all the roles is great! Been trying to watch last season on line. Not successful.

35. I think people are upset not so much that Maggie Lawson isn’t going to be in a few episodes…and hints that it might be the last season (but you never know, they might creatively have one more season of 6 episodes maybe). No, I think people are upset that they have been dropping hints about Shawn and Juliet getting married. I think that is why fans are the most upset about. How they are going to bring closure to a relationship that took a few years to get serious?

But that being said…

36. Nicholas says:

Why does everyone keep saying it’s the final season!?! That hasnt been confirmed and some random people are just contemplating that. It was a huge rumor that seasons six and seven were also the final seasons but look, they made season seven & now season eight! So lets just calm down everybody

37. Julie says:

Ok let’s start this out by saying Last Night Gus is my most favorite episode ever. Shawn and Gus can handle keeping us amused with or without the Chief, Juliet or McNab. Will I hate to see them go sure but as long as I have the rest of the gang to make me laugh when there’s not a whole lot to make anyone laugh anymore just keep it coming. I love Psych, I’ve bought all the DVDs, love it,love it love it!

38. matt says:

I just want to say this can’t possibly be the last season of Psych, my 2 1/2 year old daughter is just getting into it with me, and she asks to watch this show as much as I do. I have watched the netflix episodes enough to probably recreate them with puppets if need be, or possibly even Team America style. I even dressed as Shawn for Halloween this year, and even though no body got it, I enjoyed it.

39. Lashon says:

I think what happens is that Jules gets pregnant and and has to do bed rest! To sad she’s leaving who will be Shawn’s girlfriend?

• Julie says:

Where did you come up with that, I read almost everything and haven’t read anything like that. I know she’s being replaced but pregnant and bes rest?

40. I will be so heart broken if they take this show off the air!!!I have bought all of the seasons and have marathons with my kids several times a year!They always take the shows that are family friendly,funny,and just an all around awesome show off the air!Im sorry but I am not a kill all you can kill kinda girl so these violent shows that are replacing this and many others I have liked with do nothing for me.Psych has gave me so many laughs,brought tears of joy,choked me on my drink from laughing so hard and no matter how many times I have watched an episode I can’t get enough!!!Please don’t end this show!!!!I don’t care if you bring Mira on and possibly as a girl for Gus but these shorter seasons,and less of Jewls isn’t something I am happy about!Also one more thing,if for some reason it does get canceled(which I hate the thought of)use all 17 + episodes to end it,don’t wait till the end and jump ahead 20 years!!!They did that on Life Unexpected,One Tree Hill,and it would suck to see it happen yet again to a great show!!!!!

41. No I love Julit she is a big role in psych
    To Shawn and the lassy face
    Lassy thinks of her as a little Sis kinda
    And Shawn and hools are together so
    It is get all of the fans mad and it will
    Be a disaster
    It is like if you took lassy out of the show
    And replaced him with woody
    No afince big man
    You cand do that it’s not right I
    am one of the bigests fans of psych
    But it make ne mad that you are ding that
    Please contact me on Facebook and say it
    It from this please other wis I will not respond
    Thanks but ….…….……no thanks :(