Orange Is the New Black's Jason Biggs Examines Larry's Complicated Love for His Locked-Up Lady

Orange Is the New Black Season 1 SpoilersWhen Piper, the heroine of Netflix’s latest original series Orange Is the New Black, is locked up for carrying drug money for her ex-girlfriend 10 years ago, her boyfriend Larry doesn’t dump her. In fact, (Spoiler Alert) he does the exact opposite and pops the question.

A stint in prison — coupled with the reveal of a secret past — might send some guys running for the hills. But Larry stays by Piper’s side because “he loves her,” says his portrayer Jason Biggs. “He just really, really loves her. He knows that she’s The One.”

RELATED | Netflix Renews Orange Is the New Black for Season 2

Not to mention, “He’s very upstanding,” adds the actor.

Even though Piper is the experimental, wild one of the pair and Larry might have “had an inkling” about her non-traditional history, Biggs says his character never saw this revelation coming.

“He’s a little blindsided by it all [and] a little resentful of that,” describes Biggs. “But he’s ready to be committed. He thinks it’s going to be OK. He ends up being the strong one at first, but it switches. His strength is tested as the show goes on.”

As the couple’s new reality starts to take its toll, “no one is more surprised at how big of a test it is to their relationship than him,” continues Biggs. “At first, he thinks he can do it. But there’s a lot of strain, as you can imagine, in their relationship.”

RELATED | Jenji Kohan Recalls the True-Life Horrors Behind Orange Is The New Black

Could some of that strain come when lonely Larry is tempted by non-Piper members of the opposite sex? “Possibly,” replies Biggs cryptically. “There’s certainly an emotional departure of sorts. Emotionally, [Piper and Larry] go in a different direction at a certain point. They try to recover from that, and we’ll see if they do. Even I don’t know if they do because the [first season] ends only partially through her prison sentence.”

Comments (23)

• I finished the series over the weekend and absolutely loved it, quickly jumped into my list of top shows of the year. I’m so excited for season two!

Comment by Adam – July 15, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I watched all 13 eps too! Loved it. Anyone know how netflix releases seasons? Are we going to have to wait a whole year?

Comment by rebecca – July 15, 2013 03:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • yes, summer 2014

Comment by It sucks i know – July 16, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I cannot stop watching this! I love that Netflix puts the whole thing out at once, they are on to something! I also like the interwoven back stories in every episode. This and Ray Donovan have been my favorite new summer shows.

Comment by Beth – July 15, 2013 01:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Just finished this series last night. WOWWW. What a cliffhanger. Can’t believe it ended that way. It’s completely addictive.

Comment by megan – July 15, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome show

Comment by Dex P – July 15, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Watched all 13 episodes over the weekend as well. Definitely one of the best new series of the year!

Comment by Brian – July 15, 2013 02:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Top of the line quality in human emotions an funny as hell! Exact reproduction of daily life in the good o’le US of A minimum security prison. Watch for this one to win major awards!

Comment by Charles Crawford – July 15, 2013 02:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • kudos to Netflix for building off the success of House of Cards & putting together another top notch ensemble for OITNB, Pablo Schreiber is wonderfully icky, Elizabeth Rodriguez is totally believeable, and Natasha Lyonne is fantastic, just to name a few. special kudos to Uzo Uduba (“Crazy Eyes”) who took a part that could have become a farce and really gave her a heart.

Comment by Margaret – July 15, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I know exactly what you mean about Uduba. Her character could have easily been over acted and turned into a joke but she has actually made me care about someone who is quite literally crazy.

Comment by Deb – July 15, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • realized I spelled her last name wrong, it’s Aduba, not Uduba. I was hoping we might get to hear her sing in the Christmas episode, Uzo was in the broadway revival of Godspell and she has a really fantastic voice.

Comment by Margaret – July 16, 2013 11:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t gotten all the way thru the first episode yet. From the comments here, maybe I should give it another shot.

Comment by bobbie – July 15, 2013 03:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, I’m not going to promise you you’ll like it because clearly there was something that turned you off of it the first time. I will say this – in my opinion it gets better as it goes on. In fact, the first episode is my least favorite of all of them. The story branches out and focuses on some of the other inmates as well so it’s not all about the main character either. I would say at least get through the second episode before you make up your mind.

Comment by Jess – July 15, 2013 04:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • it definitely took me a couple of episodes, I ended up enjoying the stories about the other inmates more than the stories about Piper. that’s a real credit to the actors.

Comment by Margaret – July 16, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this show, finished in saturday! So addicted!
    Yes, its get better episode after episode, some characters gains more space, like the Kentuck crack craky, so awsome!
    I tried House of Cards, watched first episode only, but it seems so boring… gets better?

Comment by Amanda – July 15, 2013 05:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I made it 3 before I gave up. I know people raved about it but I just found it sooo boring. Just not for me.

Comment by Megan – July 15, 2013 10:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love it! I love it! I LOVE IT! So ready for season 2…..like NOW!

Comment by Marcus Hervey – July 16, 2013 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show..this show way beats out weeds all aspect even thou the first couple season of weeds was great I hope the writer of weeds gives us something better and I think she on to something here I read the book and the Netflix version is way better than the book even thou reading the book u feel the person passion .I also did a year women’s.prison myself I have tonsay this is far the best I ever seen

Comment by manilla – July 16, 2013 03:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic show! The writers really let you get to know the characters. Different every episode keeps it so fresh and interesting.

Comment by sarafire – August 5, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Now that Larry and Pier have broke up, I think Larry should see the cute bar tender her met at the end of episode 7

Comment by Larry H Runser – August 14, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Now that Larry and Piper have broke up, I think Larry should see the cute bar tender her met at the end of episode 7

Comment by Larry H Runser – August 14, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Except he totally creeped her out after gushing about her and then admitting to being engaged. She’d be stupid to date him.

Comment by sarah – October 30, 2013 11:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post