Whose Line Is It Anyway?'s Wayne Brady Reveals the Guest Stars Who Surprised (and Kicked!) Him

Whose Line Is It Anyway? Wayne BradyWhose Line Is It Anyway? is back next Tuesday (The CW, 8/7c), and it’s funnier than ever.

Returning players Wayne Brady, Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie have a new host (Archer‘s Aisha Tyler), a new roster of alternate improvers and a bevy of surprisingly game celeb guests (Vampire Diaries‘ Candice Accola, Glee‘s Kevin McHale, to name a few) bringing the laughs.

Below, Brady talks to TVLine about the game that bugs him, the CW star who was a total natural and the effort to bring back fan fave Chip Esten.

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

TVLINE | Do you have a favorite game from the show?
No, I don’t. Not to say a trite cliché, but I like all of them. Each game brings out a specific skill, or you have to think a certain way. The music stuff is great because that’s incredibly hard. Most people can’t do it. I love doing the physical stuff [like] the Sideway Scene. I love doing the pop culture stuff and the impressions. I can’t choose.

TVLINE | On the flip side, is there one you just dread because it’s difficult?
No. I think I dislike Hoedown, not because Hoedown’s hard. But in a perverse way, I dislike Hoedown because everyone goes, “Ooh! Here comes the Hoedown! That must be hard.” And it isn’t. So just the fact that people have an opinion about it makes me not want to do it. I know it sounds weird. I get stopped in the street. “Hey, Wayne! Do a Hoedown! Irish Drinking Song!” “No, dude, I’m using the bathroom.” So those are probably the ones that I hate the most.

TVLINE | When you go blank, what do you do?
You don’t go blank.

TVLINE | Never?!
No, you don’t go blank. You’re not being paid to go blank. And my mind doesn’t work like that. Neither do the other guys’ [minds]. Now, that isn’t out of ego. Your mind doesn’t go blank because you’ve conditioned it not to. Does it go to a place where it’s not the funniest thought? Absolutely. So instead of blank, you may say a thought that is so ordinary or not funny, and the true test is when you say that thing and you go, “Oh, that sucked. But here’s something else…” That’s the real test of our mettle.

RELATED | Fall TV Schedule 2013 — The CW Premiere Dates

Whose Line Is It Anyway Lauren CohanTVLINE | Is there a particularly memorable or funny improv from the new run of episodes that sticks out for you?
Off the top of my head, when [The Walking Dead‘s Lauren Cohan] kicked me in my chest. When I got a chance to sing with my man from Glee, Kevin, that was a lot of fun. Watching Ryan [Stiles] and Colin [Mochrie] frolic with a pair of nubile female football players, that was funny to me because the entire time they were doing the scene, I was yelling, “Creepy old men! Creepy old men!”

TVLINE | Did Lauren actually hurt you?
No, she didn’t hurt me. But I have to tell you, it was a real kick! She made contact. I happened to take it and roll with it, but it wasn’t, “tap, tap, tap.” She kicked me. But that was great. It just shakes everything up.

TVLINE | On that note, was there a celebrity guest who surprised you by how game or funny they were?
[Hart of Dixie‘s] Wilson Bethel was the most game and most skilled improviser of the celeb guests that we’ve had on the last run and this run. Out of the entire show. I will go on record as saying that, because he approached everything as not only a game — as evidenced by him drinking the urine test [in his episode] — but also, he was fast. [Snaps fingers] He was fast, and he was calm. That’s the thing that you need when you’re an improviser. He can come back anyway time he wants to!

TVLINE | What do we have to do to get Chip Esten to come back? Have you talked to him about the revival?
I, personally, haven’t. I know that Chip is incredibly busy right now with his country show [Nashville] and his new country music career. So I think Chip is good where he is. People have favorites they want… This is a new deal. Ryan, Colin and myself are the backbone, and we’re bringing all these different elements in. If Chip can come and play, that would make me so happy. But we have so many people now that we’ve added to our roster of fourths that people are going to see these stars completely kill it. So they may end up not missing all of the fourth seaters because there is such an amazing roster of people that we have.

1. Amanda says:

Oh man. They HAVE to get Chip back for like one episode please! It would be epic.

2. dude says:

I wish they’d get Claire Holt to do it, she’d be great fun.

3. Ty says:

um.. hello. Jeff Davis. He needs to come back.

4. Patrick Maloney says:

Colin and Ryan are the backbone, Wayne is more like. . . The pancreas

5. Jill says:

I AM SO EXCITED.

6. Darcy Summerlin says:

Jonathan Mangum FTW!

7. Andy says:

This revival is going to be great. And back in the day. it wasn’t just Wayne who didn’t like Hoedown, it was all of them.

8. suzi says:

Brad Sherwood please.

9. Chablis says:

Aisha is also The Talk as well.

10. JT says:

GREG PROOPS!!

11. ollie says:

Ok I really have to see the episodes with candice and especially wilson s.

12. SonOfCoul says:

Lauren Cohan can kick me in the chest anyday…..

13. Carol says:

I went to the first taping in April!! Best day of my life!!! Can’t wait to see it on the telly! Oh and Jeff was the fourth seater btw. But I think he was the only one of the ‘old ones’ that came back as the fourth seater. Next season, I hope they bring back Greg.

14. Dylan says:

They need to get misha Collins from supernatural to do a episode

• Jooshua says:

Misha Collins on Whose Line is it Anyway.. gave me a slight smirk.. followed by my eyes widening as I realized it was the greatest thing I never knew I wanted.

15. Midori says:

Let’s worry about getting another season before we worry about who is in it.

16. Babybop says:

I hope the revamp is as funny as the original…

17. The Squatch says:

Wayne Brady: I get stopped in the street. “Hey, Wayne! Do a Hoedown! Irish Drinking Song!” “No, dude, I’m using the bathroom.”

Umm… why is he using the bathroom in the street? Ewwwww. hehe

18. Britter says:

Improvers? Really? You write for a national magazine online, a dictionary would kill you?

19. Jan Wasserman says:

Hmm, no mention of Laura Hall? “The music stuff is great because that’s incredibly hard.” She’s totally the backbone of the music, and I think her name should be included when talking about Whose Line regulars. She’s been in it from the beginning. And, she’s amazing.

20. aucarter says:

I heard that Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black has done improv for several years. I would love to see what she brings to the table.

21. Alex says:

Watched the first 2 episodes on CW Last night.

They had some great new games I hadn’t seen before, loved the one with the purses, and the camera looking down on the stage with them sliding around it. The core 3 were awesome as always, have not lost a bit of their skills, the guests were both excellent. Loved Wayne getting kicked to the ground!

Aisha Tyler, I wasn’t so fond of… No particular reason, just didn’t feel right in the hosting spot.

I’d also like to see it where the guests have to suffer *eg* through the whole show, It’s much better when they are active for a lot of it, then just one or 2 skits.

Also, Where was the audience interaction? The audience was reduced to paper slips and purse snatching only, which really doesn’t cut it for me, makes some of the games seem like they could be rehearsed of guessed in advance. I mean, giving the Walking Dead star (while the kick was great) a Zombie themed boyfriend kinda said, okay, how much did AMC pay for this advertising?

I love Whose Line is it Anyway, will keep coming back. I’d say it’s running about a 6 out of 10 for me at the moment.

22. PJ says:

I’d love to see Michael Weatherly on the show as a guest star…but being that he’s on a different network, it probably won’t happen.

23. To get started (if you haven’t done so already) head over to
    free Minecraft. And we all decided to make contact with some huge businesses and make up a deal with all of them.

Before I knew it, my fiance was home and I had been playing the game for over 8 hours.

24. Issac says:

I was wondering if you ever considered changing tthe structure oof your site?
    Its very well written; I love what youve got to say.
    But maybe you could a little more in the way of content so people could
    connect with it better. Youve got aan awful lot of text for only having 1 or two pictures.
    Maybe you could space it out better?