Fall TV Preview

Vampire Diaries Scoop: Russian Beauty Joins Season 5 as the Mysterious Nadia

vampire diaries olga fondaMove over Katherine, there’s a new badass beauty coming to The Vampire Diaries.

Russian model-turned-actress Olga Fonda is joining the Season 5 cast as the fearless, worldly, guarded and vengeance-seeking Nadia, TVLine has learned.

PHOTOS | Vampire Diaries‘ Biggest Twists Explained!

The recurring character, who will be introduced in the Oct. 10 premiere, “will ally herself with anybody — and employ any tactic — to further her own mysterious agenda,” read the initial casting breakdown. “An emotional chameleon, she can flip from stone-cold to flirtatious as it suits her needs. But the loneliness of her singular quest has taken its toll on her humanity, and she finds herself increasingly lost when it comes to genuine human connection.”

Fonda had a supporting role in 2011′s Real Steel. She also had bit parts on Nikita and How I Met Your Mother.

Thoughts? Theories about Nadia’s “singular quest”? Hit the comments!

Comments (54)

• katherine daugheter???????????????????

Comment by queen – July 12, 2013 03:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • is connected with katherine. silas was buried for 2000 years it can’t be.

Comment by me – July 12, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am thinking a connection to Silas.

Comment by Morgan – July 12, 2013 03:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like that description could be for any character on this show. Ha ha.

Comment by Babybop – July 12, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If she’s going to land a sold role then the producers should think about making a love square XD lol

Comment by aimangabz – July 12, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another attractive straight white character…. How predictable.

Comment by Luke – July 12, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Where does it say she’s straight?

Comment by wordsmith – July 12, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Also, TVD has been better about ethnic diversity than the average TV show these days. They’ve had both black and asian actresses in roles that would have worked just as well with caucasians.

Comment by wordsmith – July 12, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • after watching Teen Wolf (that Dethan scene was amazing) I just expect more from my shows.
          Sure it’s been somewhat more diverse than most shows but the racism is still there. They did the ‘black people are all related trope and sure they cast some diverse roles but how many of them survived or are in the main cast? With Bonnie dead the show is 100% white alive people.

and of course she’s straight. They’ve never had a gay character that wasn’t Caroline’s dad (who was in it for 4 eps, was a villain then died…. just like every other character)

For a show targeted at teens, who overwhelming support lgbt rights, they’re doing a pretty crappy job at representation.

Comment by luke – July 12, 2013 07:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Where does it say that she’s straight though? Are you just assuming because of the characters introduced in the past?

Comment by Julie – July 12, 2013 07:51 PM PDT
          • I’m starting to feel very frustrated with TVD after seeing how Teen Wolf is dealing with LGBT issues as well, especially since KW said when the show started that they would have gay characters. Instead we get a gay father who tortured his daughter for being different, some hints that Rebekah is bi, and queerbaiting bromances (Dalaric and Klefan) with a strong “LOL no homo” component. It seems like a lot of the other teen shows manage to do it, why can’t TVD?

On second thought, looking at all the creepy-abusive heteronormative relationships, they would probably manage to make a plot like that unbelievably offensive, so I guess I shouldn’t complain.

Comment by rarefied – July 12, 2013 11:59 PM PDT
          • Just to be fair, the show is set just south of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. I grew up near there in a town similar to a non-supernatural Mystic Falls (lots of festivals, a few people/families running everything, football players who think they are better than everyone else, etc.). I didn’t know very many people who were racist, but there was very little diversity (in my graduating class of about 350 there were only about 20 African Americans and maybe 60 other minority students). I understand it’s a television show and should reflect a wide variety of people, but I also think they are being realistic about who lives (and who is willing to come out) in a small town in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The true test of diversity will be who they cast in the more urban New Orleans for The Originals.

Comment by Liz – July 16, 2013 06:12 PM PDT
      • And as for the female bias – go and count – the show has exactly the same number of male characters as female.

Comment by wordsmith – July 12, 2013 05:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • In fact, if you just count the “regulars”, there are almost twice as many men as women…

Comment by wordsmith – July 12, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They really need to diversify their cast more. Introduce a homosexual character or I don’t know, something other than straight white females like Luke said

Comment by Cherry – July 12, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They definitely have the opportunity to diversify more now that they’re back down to only seven characters or so (four of whom are played by just two actors).

Comment by wordsmith – July 12, 2013 05:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • We can’t even get woman as leads in a show and your asking for more diversity. I’m not saying it right but Hollywood isn’t as progressive as it likes to think. Plus even if we stick in a diverse character everyone is still going to complain its just token character. Also if their is a gay character its probably white and male. (Small population of the world.) No one will ever be happy.

Comment by Lizzie – July 12, 2013 11:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um why do we need every show to have gay characters? you people just love to complain about everything don’t you? TVD doesn’t need to do anything gmab

Comment by S – July 12, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • shows need gay characters cause it’s 2012 and they exist… just like black, jewish, latino, asians exist and should be represented on TV because its the right thing to do.
      Seriously re-write your sentence but put “black character” instead and see if you agree with it?

Comment by luke – July 12, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Yeah they exist… But not in every circle of people. I have no problem with adding a gay character but they don’t have to just for the sake of doing it. I don’t know, I get your point but maybe something will come up that makes sense within the storyline.

Comment by Fran – July 12, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That being said though… Being in college next season SHOULD be an opportunity to diversify the characters but someone I doubt we will see it happening…

Comment by Fran – July 12, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Normally I would give them the benefit of the doubt, but its been 4 years and they’ve had plenty of opportunities to do it. They could have made Kol gay, or a hybrid or one of the lesser vamps.

Comment by Luke – July 13, 2013 12:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Maybe I sound offensive, but enough with gay characters… not every show needs one (btw I don’t have a problem with gay characters…. but vampire diaries is good as it is…)

Comment by luli – July 12, 2013 10:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Given that 96% of all tv characters are straight I would suggest that it isn’t enough. Especially when you factor the core audience of TVD are people under 30 are support gay rights by a 70% margin.

Comment by Luke – July 13, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL. Anyone who has to write or say they don’t have problem…….. Always does.

Comment by dee123 – July 13, 2013 07:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good, yes. Good enough? NO. I’m considering deleting it from my auto record schedule.

Comment by DragonHawk1959 – November 22, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank you!!!! Amen!

Comment by MrsSalvatore – July 13, 2013 07:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can never take any one who busts out with the words “you people” seriously.

Comment by Just sayin – July 13, 2013 06:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Just so you know the ‘you people’ was to the ‘people’ who were making the ridiculous comments that every show needs a gay character. I have nothing against gays and have and do watch plenty with gays on them.

Comment by S – July 13, 2013 11:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Perhaps because were everywhere in real life, whether some people want to admit it or not.

Comment by DragonHawk1959 – November 21, 2013 06:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • With the high school kids heading off to college, this is the perfect opportunity to diversify. Let’s hope they take it.

Comment by Amy (@aviddaydreamer2) – July 12, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People clearly haven’t been paying attention because it’s said that she tries to hook up with both Matt AND Rebekah in the pilot which would make her bisexual

Comment by Riana – July 12, 2013 08:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh so a bisexual character who jumps from one person to the next within the span of a single episode… That doesn’t sound sound like the offensive ‘slutty bisexual’ stereotype at all.

Comment by Luke – July 13, 2013 12:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yeah, I read that too but I also read she’d have scenes with Stefan as well. I’m all for Matt getting a love interest cause I think both him and Jeremy need a story of their own. Not every show needs a gay character.

Comment by S – July 13, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This character sounds very interesting. I can see her getting along with Damon very well

Comment by S – July 12, 2013 09:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • what i dont get is why them adding a new character have to do with them adding a gay character i dont see anything wrong with the cast the cast the have do they need a gay character hmmmmm dont think so lets just enjoy what they are doing for now and when the need arise they can go ahead and do what dey have to do

Comment by camille – July 13, 2013 02:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would bet you don’t foresee the need ever arising

Comment by DragonHawk1959 – November 22, 2013 05:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why does EVERY show have to have a gay/lesbian character??? I mean come on people you’re getting ridiculous. They don’t have to put in a lesbian or gay person to prove a point to people. I think everyone is getting the lgbt point already.

Comment by MrsSalvatore – July 13, 2013 07:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why cant they? every show has straight characters. all we want is representation in mainstream media. we have to search and hunt for anything of good quality with an LGBT cast. LGBT people are people. so yes. every show that has straight characters (which is the vast majority) should have LGBT characters who have storylines, screen time, character, and relationships.

Comment by BonnieLives – October 2, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Right on!
        The lack of good gay characters has me no longer watching some shows I used to watch.

Comment by DragonHawk1959 – November 22, 2013 05:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with lots here, TW really pleasantly surprised me with its attitude, and I’ve been surprised at why TVD has never had a gay character… but some thing tells me it’s to do with the assholes at CW. I think I remember hearing that the Secret Circle runner wanted one of the female characters to harbor a crush on Faye, but he wasn’t allowed …?

Comment by Tanya – July 13, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Personally, I think TVD is perfect just as it is. We dnt nid no gay characters seriously…

Comment by jhaylaw – July 14, 2013 09:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Aww poor puppy. Not satisfied that some 90+ percent of shows lack such characters? Well, such characters might not fit well in some series but VD isn’t one of them.

Comment by DragonHawk1959 – November 22, 2013 05:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think we can give TVD a break. I for one would love to see more diversity but I don’t know if I like the idea of it being there for the sole purpose of diversifying the cast. I don’t want actors cast based on their race, period. As for having some gay characters, that would be welcome too but when TVD came out in 2009 (5 years ago) TV wasn’t as progressive as it is now and I don’t know if the CW is known for being the first to take risks. Now that PLL and Glee and some other hot shows have cleared the way I think now would be a great time for it, considering they have some cast spots to fill. Anyway I don’t think the writers of TVD are against diversity at all, I think if we look at most CW shows period it really just says something about the network.

Comment by Cher – July 14, 2013 11:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omgomgomh this the girl i see with ian in italia! She was one speaking russian at hotel this her everybody she very attractive i like this girl iab should be forever with her not nina or babymomma

Comment by alas – July 16, 2013 12:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Omgomgomh this the girl i see with ian in italia! She was one speaking russian at hotel this her everybody she very attractive i like this girl ian should be forever with her not nina or babymomma

Comment by alas – July 16, 2013 12:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for your current article, it is extremely useful, will surely try to test what you have got indicated… there is certainly only one thing I want to mention in more detail, We wrote an email to your handle about it.

Comment by jayden – July 16, 2013 06:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s strange how people will overlook things like how often do you see the Latinos, African American , Native American , Filipino, Polynesian, Asian American, Armenian, Jewish, Muslims and handicapped, bi racial individuals in teen dramas. Teen wolf main characters are all white every gay character the main characters are white males and to say we need more white male story lines and that teen wolf is so great because of one scene this season get a life and wake up. What television needs is less story’s about white males Glee was full of racial and minority stereo types and the african american community should be in outraged about todays teen dramas and how they’re depicted. Who died on teen wolf the african american male who of course was not the lead. Its funny how white gay males pretend to be a minority and that their not represented. Wake up and look around there are a lot more gay characters and shows with gay character than show where the main character are black or anything other than white. Still haven’t seen a African American super hero but we have a white gay male one and there thinking of having another gay superhero in the next spiderman. People need to stop complaing about the sexual relationships and orientations of the characters and start demanding a more diverse and real representation of all races. The drama in our world today and racism is because of the lack of role models and representation on television. Sexual orientation is something inward and private a persons skin color is something people judge you on from the minute your born the moment you walk in a room before you even speak your judged. Just because your gay that doesn’t make you a minority and statistically gays make more money live in better neighborshoods than the average American according to huffington post. So cry yourself a river somewhere else . Your complaining is getting annoying and for all the overweight people out there they would like to be represented to and not as the pathetic character you always have them play.

Comment by Crazyamy@gmail.com – July 17, 2013 01:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh boo hoo racism exists because of people like you, Jessie jackson and al sharpton theres all sorts of black shows with nothing but black people not even a white or hispanic person in sight and if you didn’t notice then my point was proven im hispanic but you dont see me complaining dont you see wat youre doing people that complain about stupid little things like this divides us more several races turn on each other and it causes drama for example the riots that went on over a case where race was only noticed because of racists only seeking revenge when theres diversities and young kids shooting each other every day theres mexican americans getting accused of being illegal because they look mexican when theres all sorts of illegal immigrants from several countries yet hispanics seem to be more noticed now thats racism thats something to complain about not stupid media attention i honestly think black people are treated equally and one black person dies its racist so wat they cant be bothered now? I dont think so we all want to be treated the same we should accept the same things to happen to all of us

Comment by anotherjusticefortm – July 17, 2013 02:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t wait for TVD season 5! I think it is “Diverse” enough already. They have vampires, humans, werewolves, witches, doppelgänger’s, warlocks, hybrids, ghost, good, bad, male, female, ugly, cute, pretty, handsome, young, old, short, tall, skinny, chubby, etc…
    PC does not need to destroy all tv shows like it has already warped a lot of it’s viewers. I for one use to enjoy watching Teen Wolf until it recently started its political campaign of PC and forcing unnecessary gay scenes that are just for the PC quota. But I’m not hounding them about their choice of changing the show’s theme. Just like their not hounding me for my choice of changing the TV channel. That’s what the button is for. You don’t like it? Turn the channel. I do :)

Comment by Really? – July 17, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crazyamy…well said.. so what if a person is gay.. the way a person has sex does not mean you get special rights.. be serious. Ur gay cause you want to be.. being born a certain race is not a choice. If you’re going to be gay.. then be gay. But please don’t think that being gay means you get some type of special pass in life. Its the way you choose to have sex. that’s it.. people have this gay crap like it the next civil rights movement. Pleas give that bull a break. Its the year 2013 and there is not enough diversity on TV of other races besides white people. Beyond the token non white person. And there story line is usually crappy Bonnie on tvd is proof if that. And not just black but for all the other races out the Asian.. Latino ..American Indian etc.. so who cares if gays or not represented on TV enough. Miss me with that bullcrap

Comment by anitra – July 27, 2013 12:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Okay so if there dose not need to be a gay character why should there be a black character? Or a girl? Or a guy? Or white? Or anything like that? There dosen’t “have to” be any specific character. People are saying it would be nice. If your black you would like to see a black character. And girls want more girls. Well there is nothing wrong with gays wanting a gay character. It’s someone for them to relate to. If you look at Tyler perry shows they are black characters through and through. No one complains because that’s what the creators want and it’s something for African Americans to relate to. When Teen Wolf introduced Ethan to be with Danny I was happy. It gave me something that was like my life made me more interested. If a gay vampire would come into TVD I would relate more to the show just as blacks could do with Bonnie and her family. And if the gay character is only for one season or one episode it was someone to relate to. And the cast is primarily white as since they are all old vampires they are from the time periods when whites were primary. Like klaus family. And the Salvatore’s. and everyone in Mystic Falls are descendants of those people. Even Bonnie was a descendent of an African American witch from that area so they are going to be the same color as their ancestors. It’s not about race, or sexuality it’s about people relating to the shows they watch which is why people watch tv to begin with.

Comment by Matt – July 29, 2013 12:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Caroline’s Dad was gay, and Rebekah is bi. They live in a small town, not like half the town is going to be gay… I mean, my town has a population of too hundred and there are only five bis in my school and three gays out of fifty students who go there. If they lived in a city, sure there would be a ton of gay people. I support gays because its how they were born and no one should make fun of them. But that doesn’t mean every other character has to be gay.

Comment by Mary – November 22, 2013 07:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post