Fall TV Preview

Parenthood Exclusive: Matt Lauria Inks Season 5 Deal — Find Out How Long Ryan Will Be Around

parenthood season 5 matt lauria returnsParenthood‘s Ryan and Amber have overcome another huge obstacle: scheduling.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Matt Lauria has formally closed a deal to return to the NBC tearjerker for a sizable Season 5 stint.

Lauria’s specific episode count is not known, but word is the Friday Night Lights alum is currently on board for roughly half of Season 5′s 22 episodes.

RELATED | Parenthood Season 5 Spoilers: Marital Trouble for [Spoiler]?

Last month at the ATX Festival, Lauria expressed optimism that he’d be back as Ryan, telling TVLine’s Meg Masters, “We don’t know what the details are going to be, but [exec producer] Jason [Katims] recently asked me, ‘Are you up for it?’ and I told him, ‘I’m up for it!’ And since then, there have been some conversations.”

For his part, Katims told fans at PaleyFest earlier this year, “I absolutely loved the dynamic between [Amber and Ryan] and I would love to continue that storyline.”

RELATED | Parenthood Scoop: [Spoiler] Books Season 5 Encore

Parenthood‘s fifth season bows Thursday, Sept. 26 at 10/9c.

Are you relieved Lauria’s Parenthood return is official? Hit the comments!

Comments (37)

• Yessss! There’s no doubt more obstacles for this couple, but I love Matt since FNL and I love him and Amber together. She’s grown so much… Yes!

Comment by Ginger – July 11, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • But isn’t Mae Whitman only recurring this season? I hope he’s in. He’s a good actor.

Comment by shuayb – July 11, 2013 09:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I haven’t read/heard such a thing and if this is true, then this is the worst news I’ve ever gotten in regards to Parenthood.

Comment by Jarrod Mitchell – July 11, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Is she? I haven’t heard that. I’m wondering how much we’ll be seeing of Haddie this season.

Comment by Erin – July 11, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I haven’t heard that either but wonder if some of the main cast didn’t sign for all the episodes. I think last year the parents/grandparents weren’t in all of the eps. They could have done the same with some of the kids/grandkids.

Comment by jasie – July 11, 2013 09:44 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Hopefully Haddie’s presence will be minimal or non-existent.

Comment by Meg – July 11, 2013 09:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I’m probably in the minority here but I actually love Haddie and think she was way underused last season, especially considering Kristina’s cancer, so I hop we see more of her

Comment by Maris – July 11, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Totally agree… I kept thinking, if Kristina is near death, where is Haddie?? It seemed so out of character for her not to be there.

Comment by Judyisafan – July 12, 2013 09:12 AM PDT
        • Yeah, I didn’t miss Haddie and how she would begin and end every sentence with a whining “I mean…”

Comment by Jen – July 11, 2013 11:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I love Haddie! I hope she’s back much, much more than she was last season!

Comment by TV Gord – July 11, 2013 12:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So excited! They are both so great on the show!

Comment by sara – July 11, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome. I loved Matt Lauria on Friday Night Lights and The Chicago Code.

Comment by Cat – July 11, 2013 09:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oh fabulous!! I’m completely sucked in by Amber + Ryan’s storyline, they really work together.

Comment by mia – July 11, 2013 09:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Best news ever. Looks like we may have another romantic TV couple in Amber & Ryan on Parenthood this upcoming season. Matt Lauria was so great as Luke Cafferty on Friday Night Lights.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 11, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • happy Matt Lauria will back in season 5 for a bunch of episodes. Ryan and Amber are a great couple.

Comment by joey – July 11, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I love, love, love Matt Lauria. And I love Amber & Ryan together.

Comment by Eliza – July 11, 2013 09:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh, goody. I just can’t get enough of the character’s whining and pouting. Has he met Sydney?

Comment by Megan – July 11, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m happy to hear it! I love Amber and Ryan!

Comment by Elyse – July 11, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mae is an amazing actress! The show always seems SO real. Great acting all around!

Comment by zigzagzoey – July 11, 2013 10:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mae Whitman is for sure not being demoted. What will she do then? Have a Ann Veal spinoff of Arrested Development? Her?

Comment by Austin – July 11, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!!! Mae and Matt have amazing chemistry!!! I did not think I was going to enjoy their storyline at first, but I’m a huge Amber/Ryan fan!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – July 11, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I’m the only one who isn’t excited about this. Nothing against Matt Lauria, I just don’t really care for Ryan.

Comment by Alex – July 11, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy about this. This makes up for my dissappointment about the return of Hank.

Comment by CR – July 11, 2013 11:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • can’t the other guy from FNL come back? where’s ALEX????????? he was so great and i never really got why he had to go (storywise, i think the actor had movies going for himself)?

Comment by astrid – July 11, 2013 11:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Stop adding new characters. We want more of the family inter-acting.

Comment by Maggie – July 11, 2013 11:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with this. Love the show and there are enough ways to use the family members we know all ready.

Comment by Candice – July 12, 2013 09:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY. That is all. YAY. Find a way to bring Taylor Kitsch in and I will start replaying Parenthood episodes on a permanent loop.

Comment by Kate – July 11, 2013 12:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!!!!!!!!!! They are amazing together on the show and Matt Lauria is a phenomenal actor to add more permanently to the cast. Now if only Jason Ritter and Michael B. Jordan could come back, and we could work Taylor Kitsch somehow, for a moment all would be right with the world.

Comment by Kat – July 11, 2013 12:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Co-sign ^

Comment by Diane – July 11, 2013 03:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There is ALWAYS a need for more Tim Riggins on my TV. I

Comment by Lara – July 11, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a terrific show…looking forward to the next season!

Comment by Mary G. – July 11, 2013 01:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate to be the odd one out, but I’m not too excited. Out of all of Amber’s love interests, he was my least favorite. I was really hoping for a Bob Little return :(

Comment by ER – July 11, 2013 02:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Ryan and Amber, and both Matt and Mae are fantastic. So glad the show is going forward with these two!

Comment by NotBri – July 11, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So happy that they are back I love these two and their romance is so real, flawed, young love with all its contradictions. I cannot wait but why only 11 episodes? I was hoping for a full season with the whole they are too young to marry complication. Bring on Amber and Ryan in season 5.

Comment by Karen – July 12, 2013 01:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, we all need a little – no a LOTTA – Tim Riggins. Can’t he relocate from Texas to California and start a new life? #TaylorKitsch

Comment by Linda Matson – July 12, 2013 10:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about whining & crying that is Sarah to the bone! And Hank( ray Ramono) worst thing ever. He looks and acts like a serial killer. Never saw him looking so bad and I was a fan of his 2 other shows. I bet he has dead body’s in the basement or back yard of that place. You always choose the losers Sarah. Even on Gilmore girls you made bad choices, except for Luke. She whines more than a 1 year old and always a teary & snotty face. While she thinks she is the hottest woman alive.

Comment by gmcarr – July 17, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes!!! I love Parenthood, though I do hope it’s more upbeat this season. The cancer drama was getting old by the time the season ended. My least favourite character is probably Kristina, whiny and too serious. I love the older couple, Bonnie Bedelia is beautiful & a rich with many layers. I love Dax too. But get real tired of Kristina.

Comment by veggiemama – July 29, 2013 06:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post