Exclusive

Parenthood Exclusive: Matt Lauria Inks Season 5 Deal -- Find Out How Long Ryan Will Be Around

parenthood season 5 matt lauria returnsParenthood‘s Ryan and Amber have overcome another huge obstacle: scheduling.

Sources confirm to TVLine exclusively that Matt Lauria has formally closed a deal to return to the NBC tearjerker for a sizable Season 5 stint.

Lauria’s specific episode count is not known, but word is the Friday Night Lights alum is currently on board for roughly half of Season 5’s 22 episodes.

RELATED | Parenthood Season 5 Spoilers: Marital Trouble for [Spoiler]?

Last month at the ATX Festival, Lauria expressed optimism that he’d be back as Ryan, telling TVLine’s Meg Masters, “We don’t know what the details are going to be, but [exec producer] Jason [Katims] recently asked me, ‘Are you up for it?’ and I told him, ‘I’m up for it!’ And since then, there have been some conversations.”

For his part, Katims told fans at PaleyFest earlier this year, “I absolutely loved the dynamic between [Amber and Ryan] and I would love to continue that storyline.”

RELATED | Parenthood Scoop: [Spoiler] Books Season 5 Encore

Parenthood‘s fifth season bows Thursday, Sept. 26 at 10/9c.

Are you relieved Lauria’s Parenthood return is official? Hit the comments!

1. Ginger says:

Yessss! There’s no doubt more obstacles for this couple, but I love Matt since FNL and I love him and Amber together. She’s grown so much… Yes!

2. shuayb says:

But isn’t Mae Whitman only recurring this season? I hope he’s in. He’s a good actor.

• I haven’t read/heard such a thing and if this is true, then this is the worst news I’ve ever gotten in regards to Parenthood.

• Erin says:

Is she? I haven’t heard that. I’m wondering how much we’ll be seeing of Haddie this season.

• jasie says:

I haven’t heard that either but wonder if some of the main cast didn’t sign for all the episodes. I think last year the parents/grandparents weren’t in all of the eps. They could have done the same with some of the kids/grandkids.

• Meg says:

Hopefully Haddie’s presence will be minimal or non-existent.

• Maris says:

I’m probably in the minority here but I actually love Haddie and think she was way underused last season, especially considering Kristina’s cancer, so I hop we see more of her

• Judyisafan says:

Totally agree… I kept thinking, if Kristina is near death, where is Haddie?? It seemed so out of character for her not to be there.

• Jen says:

Yeah, I didn’t miss Haddie and how she would begin and end every sentence with a whining “I mean…”

• TV Gord says:

I love Haddie! I hope she’s back much, much more than she was last season!

3. sara says:

So excited! They are both so great on the show!

4. Cat says:

Awesome. I loved Matt Lauria on Friday Night Lights and The Chicago Code.

5. mia says:

oh fabulous!! I’m completely sucked in by Amber + Ryan’s storyline, they really work together.

6. Best news ever. Looks like we may have another romantic TV couple in Amber & Ryan on Parenthood this upcoming season. Matt Lauria was so great as Luke Cafferty on Friday Night Lights.

7. joey says:

happy Matt Lauria will back in season 5 for a bunch of episodes. Ryan and Amber are a great couple.

8. Eliza says:

Yay! I love, love, love Matt Lauria. And I love Amber & Ryan together.

9. Megan says:

Oh, goody. I just can’t get enough of the character’s whining and pouting. Has he met Sydney?

10. Elyse says:

I’m happy to hear it! I love Amber and Ryan!

11. zigzagzoey says:

Mae is an amazing actress! The show always seems SO real. Great acting all around!

12. Austin says:

Mae Whitman is for sure not being demoted. What will she do then? Have a Ann Veal spinoff of Arrested Development? Her?

13. Eric7740 says:

Great news!!! Mae and Matt have amazing chemistry!!! I did not think I was going to enjoy their storyline at first, but I’m a huge Amber/Ryan fan!!!

14. Alex says:

I guess I’m the only one who isn’t excited about this. Nothing against Matt Lauria, I just don’t really care for Ryan.

15. CR says:

So happy about this. This makes up for my dissappointment about the return of Hank.

16. astrid says:

can’t the other guy from FNL come back? where’s ALEX????????? he was so great and i never really got why he had to go (storywise, i think the actor had movies going for himself)?

17. Maggie says:

Stop adding new characters. We want more of the family inter-acting.

• Candice says:

I agree with this. Love the show and there are enough ways to use the family members we know all ready.

18. Kate says:

YAY. That is all. YAY. Find a way to bring Taylor Kitsch in and I will start replaying Parenthood episodes on a permanent loop.

19. Kat says:

YAY!!!!!!!!!! They are amazing together on the show and Matt Lauria is a phenomenal actor to add more permanently to the cast. Now if only Jason Ritter and Michael B. Jordan could come back, and we could work Taylor Kitsch somehow, for a moment all would be right with the world.

20. Mary G. says:

This is a terrific show…looking forward to the next season!

21. ER says:

I hate to be the odd one out, but I’m not too excited. Out of all of Amber’s love interests, he was my least favorite. I was really hoping for a Bob Little return :(

22. NotBri says:

I love Ryan and Amber, and both Matt and Mae are fantastic. So glad the show is going forward with these two!

23. Karen says:

So happy that they are back I love these two and their romance is so real, flawed, young love with all its contradictions. I cannot wait but why only 11 episodes? I was hoping for a full season with the whole they are too young to marry complication. Bring on Amber and Ryan in season 5.

24. Linda Matson says:

Yes, we all need a little – no a LOTTA – Tim Riggins. Can’t he relocate from Texas to California and start a new life? #TaylorKitsch

25. gmcarr says:

Talk about whining & crying that is Sarah to the bone! And Hank( ray Ramono) worst thing ever. He looks and acts like a serial killer. Never saw him looking so bad and I was a fan of his 2 other shows. I bet he has dead body’s in the basement or back yard of that place. You always choose the losers Sarah. Even on Gilmore girls you made bad choices, except for Luke. She whines more than a 1 year old and always a teary & snotty face. While she thinks she is the hottest woman alive.

26. veggiemama says:

Yes!!! I love Parenthood, though I do hope it’s more upbeat this season. The cancer drama was getting old by the time the season ended. My least favourite character is probably Kristina, whiny and too serious. I love the older couple, Bonnie Bedelia is beautiful & a rich with many layers. I love Dax too. But get real tired of Kristina.