Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: Once Upon a Time Welcomes Back Giancarlo Esposito — But as Which Character?

Once Upon a Time Giancarlo Esposito ReturnsGiancarlo Esposito will set down Revolution baddie Tom Neville’s sword long enough to pay a return visit to Once Upon a Time this fall, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time Scoop on Regina’s Love Life, and More

Esposito will appear in one of Season 3′s first episodes, though mum’s the word on which of his alter egos he will be playing — Storybrooke newspaper man Sidney Glass, the Evil Queen’s royally smitten Magic Mirror, or even the Genie of Agrabah.

RELATED | Once Upon a Time EP: Storybrooke Won’t Be Forgotten! (Plus: A Hook-Up You Won’t See)

Esposito recurred during Once‘s freshman season, upon completing his heralded run on Breaking Bad. When last seen, Sidney had been imprisoned by Regina, having botched the framing of Snow White for Kathryn’s “murder.”

The actor currently stars on NBC’s Revolution, and twice this past TV season guested on Community.

Once Upon a Time Season 3 premieres… sometimes this fall.

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (26)

• Thank god he’s returning. Maybe they can get back to the good once we love. Last seadon wasn’t very good

Comment by sarah – July 11, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes, finally!! His story was left unfinished, especially since we saw Jefferson passing Sydney’s cell during the season 1 finale! I really hope we’ll see Sidney, learn what has become of him. Hopefully he’ll be more than just Regina’s lapdog this time.

Comment by Dominique – July 11, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • THE GENIE OF THE LAMP!!! Aladdin and Jasmine need to show up soon! They are my favorite Disney characters.

Comment by Michael Grooms – July 11, 2013 04:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes and jafar

Comment by Rachel – July 11, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA Especially if they cast Sendhil Ramamurthy as Aladdin.

Comment by JCK – July 11, 2013 05:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Michael, exactly my thought – that instead of his story in Storybrooke being expanded on (which seems unlikely unless he dies, but I guess is possible) he might be appearing in Aladdin flashbacks, which are well overdue.

Comment by ben – July 11, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I hope not. I don’t want them to be bringing in that many new characters while they’re dealing with Neverland. We’ll already have Peter Pan, Tinkerbell, and others from Neverland being introduced and a hinted possibility of Ariel (which I also hope not yet).

They need to quit taking away from the core characters so much (unless it’s Regina as she got a lot of coverage in the second season).

Comment by Mary – July 12, 2013 12:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The reality is that from day one this show has had flashbacks dealing with characters backstories in a one-off way – our core characters intersecting with their paths – and this isn’t what the problem was with season 2, it was how much time was taken up by new characters in the present.
          Frankly, though, I didn’t really have a huge problem with Mulan and Aurora or Greg and Tamara – the middle of the season with Cora was a complete drag though. And Hook was in the same boat but most people liked him (so was August when he showed up).

Comment by Ben – July 12, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Oh I didn’t have a problem with Mulan and Aurora. Snow and Emma needed someone to help them get back home. And once Snow and Emma went back to Storybrooke we didn’t keep seeing Mulan and Aurora, except for Mulan in a Belle flashback and in the season finale.
            I didn’t mind the idea of outsiders finding their way into Storybrooke either, but I was disappointed with how it was handled. And Hook wasn’t really developed enough. He split his time between going on and on about wanting revenge against Rumple and being kicked around by others. Still some of the stuff they did in the second half of the season kept Red from having more of a story line after they had bumped Meghan Ory to regular. And now she’s off on another series, so we will see even less of her.

Comment by Mary – July 12, 2013 01:58 PM PDT
  • Bless! I’ve missed his character. Something the show lacked last season was explaining where all of these beloved characters from s1 went to, like we were to assume they were just off being happy somewhere in post-curse Storybrooke. Hopefully they can do some explaining in season three. Maybe even get Cinderella back.

Comment by Lysh – July 11, 2013 04:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • and we still have yet to see the first sleeping beauty.

Comment by Rachel – July 11, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This! I hope the writers address this blunder, saying Maleficent was bested by Sleeping Beauty in flashbacks from season one, only to have Sleeping Beauty wake up at the beginning of season 2.

Comment by Abby – July 11, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Wasn’t a blunder actually. Aurora and Phillip address in that same conversation that Maleficent first cursed her mother- assumably the original Sleeping Beauty and the one that had bested her. Looks like Maleficent went back and cursed her daughter also.

Comment by Amelia – July 11, 2013 06:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m glad he’ll be back and hopefully it means Sidney will be out of that hellhole of a hospital (can Belle free him?), but I also hope they’ll wrap up his storyline. Revolution may be an even worse show than OUAT, but Neville is a much better character and use of GE’s talents than poor old Sidney.

Comment by K – July 11, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like he’ll likely be back as Sidney. I don’t really see any point in him returning as the mirror or the genie. I hope we get to see other S1 characters who seemingly fell off the face of the earth come S2. I don’t expect it but you never know.

Comment by A – July 11, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Unfortunately that is just the way life goes when bit part actors sign on to other shows full time.

Comment by ben – July 11, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL guess hes not returning to breaking bad ;)

Comment by david – July 11, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • maybe they could sew him back together again like Chuckie

Comment by Melinda – July 11, 2013 04:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gus Fring from Breaking Bad, Tom Neville from Revolution. This guy is one of the busiest actors when he appears on one TV series after another.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 11, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t mind seeing more of the Aladdin universe but not while they are in the process of introducing Neverland- I feel that would be too much at once. He could easily be in an evil queen flashback. It would also make sense to use him in Storybrooke since there are fewer characters there now.

Comment by Jennifer – July 11, 2013 06:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think he’s THE Genie, though…the TV animation addressed there’s more than him around.

Comment by Joanna Boese – July 11, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m so excited he’s back!

Comment by BelleRumpleFan – July 11, 2013 11:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Anytime he pops up it’s a good thing :)

Comment by Kristina – July 12, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know if any of you watch “The Haunting of. . .” on Bio but there was an episode with him last week that was really good. He spoke about having some hard times financially a few years back and was very emotional. I’m glad to see him getting so much work. He seems like a good guy.

Comment by aeromel78 – July 12, 2013 02:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • People stop complaining about new characters coming in!!! I love that my favorite fairy tale charters are coming to life!!! :) I mean its a show about a far away kingdom with all of the fantasy characters :)

Comment by Me – August 14, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have never watched Breaking Bad, so I got introduced to this fine actor in Once & Revolution. He is great and I wish him well.

Comment by Norma – August 17, 2013 10:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post