Fall TV Preview

New Girl Exclusive: Damon Wayans Jr. Confirmed to Rejoin Cast for Major Season 3 Stint

New Girl Season 3 Damon Wayans Jr.Happy EndingsDamon Wayans Jr. is hooking up with the Girl that got away.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Wayans has inked a deal to reprise his New Girl role of Coach for at least four Season 3 episodes.

RELATED | Happy Endings Exclusive: Producers Reveal What Would’ve Happened in Season 4

You’ll recall Wayans appeared in the New Girl pilot, but was forced to drop out when Happy Endings scored a surprise Season 2 renewal; Lamorne Morris’s Winston was brought in to fill the void. Endingsofficial (and extremely unfortunate) demise paved the way for Wayans’ likely return. (Fox declined to comment for this story.)

Jake Johnson, who’s currently shooting the comedy Let’s Be Cops with Wayans in Atlanta, kicked up the Coach comeback buzz last month when he told TVLine in the wake of Happy Endings ABC cancellation that he’d be thrilled to “welcome [Wayans'] back to the loft,” adding, “I would be surprised if he doesn’t come back for a while. There would be such funny episodes with the Coach seeing what’s happened in the past two years since he’s [been] gone.”

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

New Girl kicks off its third season on Tuesday, Sept. 17.

Comments (83)

• Yay! I was sad that he was just on the pilot and sad all over again when Happy Endings was cancelled.

Comment by Rand Duren – July 10, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! He was awesome. Hope it really happens. :)

Comment by N.A. – July 11, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love him. Hope they don’t diminish Lamorne because he is really good too they better give him more stuff next season he’s always the comedy relief. Let’s make in an ensemble Liz Meriwether.

Comment by amelia – July 11, 2013 10:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What’s going to happen to Winston now? I hope he doesn’t get kicked out because that will suck and unfair. I’ve grown to like the character and they all have great chemistry currently.

Comment by Wc – July 16, 2013 11:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY!

Comment by YAY! – July 10, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes yes yes! More Damon Wayans, Jr. on my TV is always great news!

Comment by DL – July 10, 2013 01:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I´m sooo happy! I always thought he was funnier than Winston

Comment by Xime – July 10, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Winston. I actually thought he was better than coach but this dose make me happy. So excited to see what they’ll be doing.

Comment by janet.c.l – July 10, 2013 07:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • At first I thought Winston was a poor replacement but now I adore Winston. He really became great in the episode with the bells. I can’t wait to have Coach back in the game too!

Comment by Ari – July 11, 2013 05:41 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I 100 percent agree about Winston. I love him now, but I’m excited to see all the characters interact now.

Comment by jerrired – July 15, 2013 12:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. Coach was funnier than Winston. Mainly because Damon Wayans clicked with the group right away. Winston was a bit awkward at first and I felt it took a while to get some chemistry with the rest of the class…but Winston has grown on me since then, and he’s certainly got good chemistry with the rest of the cast now.

Comment by Ann – July 11, 2013 08:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Don’t get me wrong, I like Winston but I think Damon Wayans Jr. is funnier. I wish that he stay longer not only a few episodes.

Comment by Xime – July 16, 2013 10:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news!

Comment by Hamza – July 10, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the only good thing about Happy Endings’ cancellation. LOVE Damon Wayans Jr!!

Comment by Sarah – July 10, 2013 01:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, there’s also the cancellation of Happy Endings, so there’s that.

Comment by Cloo – July 10, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate New Girl, so this is a no good news situation for me.

Comment by Steven – July 10, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • are you sticking your tongue out and saying “nyah” when you type this!?! if you dont like it why comment you big stick in the mud.

Comment by Diceman – July 10, 2013 03:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Voicing my opinion.

Comment by Steven – July 10, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • congratulations. all it did was make you look like a tool.

Comment by Maria – July 10, 2013 08:26 PM PDT
          • Thanks Maria, because that comment makes you look like a nasty, rude individual.

Comment by Steven – July 10, 2013 09:03 PM PDT
          • So why bother commenting in the first place. There’s no rule that says you have to share every thought that comes into your head, regardless of what Mark Zuckerberg says. Just move on.

Comment by Bob – July 11, 2013 07:48 AM PDT
        • Jesus are you people 12?
          people are allowed to say how they feel. Or is that only if they areee with you. Grow u Maria.

Comment by Nick C – July 10, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Soooooooo happy about this! With the Happy Endings cancellation, I was most disappointed about not getting to see him every week.

Comment by Ashley – July 10, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t get me wrong, I’m VERY upset by Happy Endings. LOVEthat show. But, if anything good is going to come from it, this was #1 on my list. New Girl is my favorite comedy on tv and it’s on such a creative high and Damon Wayans Jr is so hilarious, this comeback could be nothing short of Ah Mah Zing!! Year of the Coach!

Comment by KK – July 10, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES. He was one of my favourites from the pilot and I, for one, would welcome him back with open arms. I’ll still miss Happy Endings though.

Comment by Eric – July 10, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Awesome news. I hope he turns into a series regular.

Comment by allison – July 10, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As soon as Happy Ending was cancelled, I knew he’d be back on New Girl. This is A+ news.

Comment by Mandy – July 10, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved him on New Girl. Lamorne has done a good job replacing his presence, but you really can’t beat any Wayans when it comes to hilarity.

Comment by Amber – July 10, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my god I LOVED HIM! The pilot was SO great. Because of him I decided to keep watching the show!

Comment by BATB Chile (@BATBChile) – July 10, 2013 01:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH MY GOD! I looooooved him on the pilot! It was a great start for a new show. He was the reason I kept watching new girl because He was HILARIOUS! I’m beyond excited for this,

Comment by batbchile – July 10, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • nothing against Winston but i think Coach will be awesome because Damon Wayans JR is a hilarious actor

Comment by Ruba Zahran – July 10, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great news! Can’t wait for season three!

Comment by Lecholls – July 10, 2013 01:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I called it and I’m thrilled! Coach (Wayans Jr.) shined in the pilot. If anything, he’ll be a voice of reason and give the gang someone else to bounce storylines off of. And aren’t Coach and Winston brothers or cousins? That adds an interesting dynamic as well.

Comment by NedPepper – July 10, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve been seriously jonesing for some New Girl scoop all summer long, this is certainly a good start in satiating my desire, Great news Coach back yelling at women, I likey. Coach coming back and seeing whats happened the past two years, I likey even more. I have no doubt hilarity will ensue

Comment by James D – July 10, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSSS!!

really great day for my favourite shows xD

Comment by Polly – July 10, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This could almost help with the HE grief. Make it happen TV faeries!

Comment by lifesanarsehole – July 10, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Such great news!! YAY! Coach is a great character.

Comment by J – July 10, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Totally and completely awesome! Love DW, Jr! Happy to see him back on New Girl!

Comment by Luis – July 10, 2013 01:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woo hoo! I just hope they aren’t going to sacrifice Winston to make room.

Comment by lariet50 – July 10, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! I love Winston! In Season 2 Lamorne Morris really just came into the character and I love seeing what he is going to do each week. The chemistry of all the characters on New Girl is so great and I think bringing back Coach will just make it even better! I can’t wait for season 3!

Comment by Shannon – July 10, 2013 02:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • What would really be funny is if Coach and Winston just don’t get along. Despite Nicks constant efforts to keep the peace and Schmidt’s incredibly insensitive running commentary, they just continue to bicker like Ren and Stimpy on their worst day! Not only will it be fun to watch, but it’ll explain why coach hasn’t been around for two friggin’ years.

Comment by Jay – July 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i would love it if they just kinda hated each other. it would be hilarious

Comment by meg – July 11, 2013 06:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I am ecstatic that DW Jr. may be coming back but that was one of my first worries as well. There’s always more room for more funny and he’d bring a great dynamic. I don’t want Winston going anywhere though. There’s more than enough room for two black men on that show. I kept having nightmare visions of The Walking Dead’s steady stream of new black male character’s that come on board…meaning the old character gets killed off to make room instead of going with the more is better idea…I hope New Girl incorporates Coach. I can’t wait to see how he reacts to it all. Schmidt/Cece, Nick/Jess and Winston who took his place within the group. Should also be interesting to hear where he’s been lol

Comment by Cort – July 10, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s going to hurt seeing him on this. It will remind me of Happy Endings ;). That show was so amazing. Really sad it didn’t make it. I can’t believe a cable network or Amazon or Netflix didn’t pick it up. I would have donated to a Kickstarter for a new season. But anyway, I guess if he can’t be on that show I’m glad he’s coming back to New Girl.

Comment by Mike – July 10, 2013 02:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY, COACH WAS THE BEST!!!! Even though he was only in one episode he was so completely hilarious and memorable in the pilot that it took me almost the entire first season to get over him not being around. Which is saying something since all of the other actors are obviously very good too. But DWJ is without a doubt a huge talent and will be such a welcome addition to New Girl again after Happy Endings was so undeservedly cancelled. But forget about a good arc for him, how about just adding his as another full time roommate on the show! Can’t wait for more awkward Coach and Jess moments. Especially now that she and Nick are dating. Bring it on!!

Comment by Kat – July 10, 2013 02:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES! YES! YES!

Comment by ggny – July 10, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3: The Return of Coach! Hope it becomes permanent!! Love, love, loved him in the pilot!

Comment by Nicole – July 10, 2013 02:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Score! Glad something good is happening for him already!

Comment by schu – July 10, 2013 03:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yesssssssss! It makes the Happy Endings cancellation a little less depressing. He’s hilarious.

Comment by Hallie – July 10, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not Happy about Happy Endings but Not Mad about New Girl :3

Comment by Austin – July 10, 2013 03:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Winston is gone then so am I . Cannot wait for the show to fail if Morris is not brought back . Wayans Jr. cannot hold Morris’s jock strap or Happy would still be on . As they say : If it’s not broke , don’t fix it !!! By the way : Jess should have never messed with anyone in the house . Close calls & that’s it . That’s the dynamic of any coed roommate situation . Can men & women cohabitate without sexual contact . Now she will look like a slut if she ever sleeps with Schmidt or Winston .

Comment by kevin casey – July 10, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Chill out. No one said Morris was leaving. And no need to slut shame Jess…. She’d never get with Schmidt, anyway that was made clear in “Parking Spot” and she and Winston never had that chemistry. I love the nick/Jess storyline.

Comment by Meg – July 10, 2013 03:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I saw the Nick and Jess thing from the start, I just thought it would take longer to get there!

Comment by Jay – July 15, 2013 09:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • i love that story line… I don’t get why Kevin Casey is even watching, since he’s so bent out of shape

Comment by Meg – July 16, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He can come back as long as he doesn’t replace Winston.

Comment by zaza – July 10, 2013 03:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOOOOOOO! I mean, I love the show for many reasons, but Coach was my favorite thing about the pilot.

Comment by Avi Sotonzadeh – July 10, 2013 03:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Happy he will be back as coach. glad he will be back on tv soon. I’ll miss him playing Brad on Happy Endings.

Comment by Joey – July 10, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hmmm so if Coach potentially moves back into, does that mean Nick and Jess would have to “move in” together to leave an empty room for Coach? Aka one bedroom (;

Comment by Jennifer – July 10, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I enjoy Damon and think he’s funny, but I really do enjoy Winston and hope he doesn’t get left out with Damon around. Winston already has very little screen time and I don’t want someone else taking it away. For a few episodes I would welcome Damon though

Comment by Kc – July 10, 2013 05:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As long it is only an arc. Winston makes this show. If you don’t believe me… HA! I’m gonna hit you with this bat!!

Comment by Charles – July 10, 2013 05:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s how I feel too. I’m really afraid this will push Winston into the background even more. I wasn’t a Winston fan in the beginning but Lamorne Morris is just *so* good in the role. I don’t think they always know what to do with his character and I fear this may make it worse.

Comment by Aprilcot – July 11, 2013 06:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Winston but I think his character is massively underused. His story generally ends up being the comic sidekick to someone else’s story. He gets in between Schmidt and CeCe, in between Nick and Jess, and even in between his boss and his issues. He really needs his own storyline in the series, but I guess there’s only so much you can do in 21 minutes.
      It will be interesting to see Jess and Nick shacking up so that Coach could have one of their rooms. Unless Coach decides to take the big room from Winston. :)

Comment by Badpenny – July 11, 2013 09:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m still a little heartbroken about happy endings being cancelled but this is def. good news.

Comment by Juan – July 10, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved Happy Endings but if this happens I will no longer be grumpy it was cancelled. Loved Coach in the pilot, would be so great if he came back!!

Comment by Sims – July 10, 2013 09:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, this is what I am waiting for!

Comment by Siskaaw – July 11, 2013 12:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! I was sad when I watched the pilot and then Winston was in the next episode. However, I do love Winston but I do believe there is room for both! On a side note, as much as I love Schmidt’s girlfriend (even though I can’t think of her name right now), I really want him to choose Cece.

Comment by cas – July 11, 2013 05:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Winston should get CeCe. After all, he already pogoed her. :)

Comment by Badpenny – July 11, 2013 09:54 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Cece and Schmidt, definitely.

Comment by EmilyS – July 11, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess I didn’t pay too much attention to the pilot – I didn’t realize they were different characters. I just thought it was a recast.

Comment by MLO – July 11, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s already tough for Winston to stand out..

Comment by EmilyS – July 11, 2013 11:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Winston being recast from Damon Wayons Jr. was just unfortunate. One is “over the top” (Wayons Jr. – which is like his father) while the other is more subdued. Their comedic methods are very different. I am another fan of Happy Endings and glad it made it to year 2 despite weak ratings. Will just try to enjoy his appearance on this show while he is on it. New Girl I am okay with, but not as big a fan of.

Comment by Sam – July 11, 2013 01:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was kind of waiting for this to happen since Happy Endings got cancelled! I always wanted more of Coach. I just hope if he does come back, Winston’s story won’t be reduce, he already has the weakest story which is unffair since he’s awesome.

Comment by Luz – July 14, 2013 02:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t be more agree with you!

Comment by Alicia – July 15, 2013 12:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes! He is awesome! Can we get rid of Winston and bring back Coach full time?

Comment by Ella – July 15, 2013 12:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Coach definitely got married to a woman played by Eliza Coupe within the past two years, right? RIGHT?!

Comment by aa – July 15, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OMG! This makes me so happy! I was wating for this since he left the show. It’s gonna be awesome having him again. But, just for a couple of episodes?? let him stay!

Comment by Alicia – July 15, 2013 12:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t stand Coach, I really hated his character. I’m so disappointed he’s coming back. They can barely give equal screen time to the 5 characters they have now!

Comment by Amy – July 16, 2013 10:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • how hot would it be if they actually joined the two universes, having penny date one of the guys, and Coach having to explain to the guys about being married and having other friends.

Comment by mitx – July 16, 2013 10:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post