Exclusive

New Girl Exclusive: Damon Wayans Jr. Confirmed to Rejoin Cast for Major Season 3 Stint

New Girl Season 3 Damon Wayans Jr.Happy EndingsDamon Wayans Jr. is hooking up with the Girl that got away.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Wayans has inked a deal to reprise his New Girl role of Coach for at least four Season 3 episodes.

RELATED | Happy Endings Exclusive: Producers Reveal What Would’ve Happened in Season 4

You’ll recall Wayans appeared in the New Girl pilot, but was forced to drop out when Happy Endings scored a surprise Season 2 renewal; Lamorne Morris’s Winston was brought in to fill the void. Endingsofficial (and extremely unfortunate) demise paved the way for Wayans’ likely return. (Fox declined to comment for this story.)

Jake Johnson, who’s currently shooting the comedy Let’s Be Cops with Wayans in Atlanta, kicked up the Coach comeback buzz last month when he told TVLine in the wake of Happy Endings ABC cancellation that he’d be thrilled to “welcome [Wayans'] back to the loft,” adding, “I would be surprised if he doesn’t come back for a while. There would be such funny episodes with the Coach seeing what’s happened in the past two years since he’s [been] gone.”

RELATED | Fall TV Grid: What’s on When? And Versus What?

New Girl kicks off its third season on Tuesday, Sept. 17.

1. Rand Duren says:

Yay! I was sad that he was just on the pilot and sad all over again when Happy Endings was cancelled.

• N.A. says:

Yes! He was awesome. Hope it really happens. :)

• amelia says:

I love him. Hope they don’t diminish Lamorne because he is really good too they better give him more stuff next season he’s always the comedy relief. Let’s make in an ensemble Liz Meriwether.

• Wc says:

What’s going to happen to Winston now? I hope he doesn’t get kicked out because that will suck and unfair. I’ve grown to like the character and they all have great chemistry currently.

2. DL says:

Yes yes yes! More Damon Wayans, Jr. on my TV is always great news!

3. Xime says:

I´m sooo happy! I always thought he was funnier than Winston

• janet.c.l says:

I love Winston. I actually thought he was better than coach but this dose make me happy. So excited to see what they’ll be doing.

• Ari says:

At first I thought Winston was a poor replacement but now I adore Winston. He really became great in the episode with the bells. I can’t wait to have Coach back in the game too!

• Ann says:

I agree with you. Coach was funnier than Winston. Mainly because Damon Wayans clicked with the group right away. Winston was a bit awkward at first and I felt it took a while to get some chemistry with the rest of the class…but Winston has grown on me since then, and he’s certainly got good chemistry with the rest of the cast now.

• Xime says:

Don’t get me wrong, I like Winston but I think Damon Wayans Jr. is funnier. I wish that he stay longer not only a few episodes.

4. Hamza says:

Great news!

5. Sarah says:

This is the only good thing about Happy Endings’ cancellation. LOVE Damon Wayans Jr!!

6. Ashley says:

Soooooooo happy about this! With the Happy Endings cancellation, I was most disappointed about not getting to see him every week.

7. KK says:

Don’t get me wrong, I’m VERY upset by Happy Endings. LOVEthat show. But, if anything good is going to come from it, this was #1 on my list. New Girl is my favorite comedy on tv and it’s on such a creative high and Damon Wayans Jr is so hilarious, this comeback could be nothing short of Ah Mah Zing!! Year of the Coach!

8. Eric says:

YES. He was one of my favourites from the pilot and I, for one, would welcome him back with open arms. I’ll still miss Happy Endings though.

9. allison says:

Awesome news. I hope he turns into a series regular.

10. Mandy says:

As soon as Happy Ending was cancelled, I knew he’d be back on New Girl. This is A+ news.

11. Amber says:

I loved him on New Girl. Lamorne has done a good job replacing his presence, but you really can’t beat any Wayans when it comes to hilarity.

12. Oh my god I LOVED HIM! The pilot was SO great. Because of him I decided to keep watching the show!

13. batbchile says:

OH MY GOD! I looooooved him on the pilot! It was a great start for a new show. He was the reason I kept watching new girl because He was HILARIOUS! I’m beyond excited for this,

14. Ruba Zahran says:

nothing against Winston but i think Coach will be awesome because Damon Wayans JR is a hilarious actor

15. Lecholls says:

Great news! Can’t wait for season three!

16. NedPepper says:

I called it and I’m thrilled! Coach (Wayans Jr.) shined in the pilot. If anything, he’ll be a voice of reason and give the gang someone else to bounce storylines off of. And aren’t Coach and Winston brothers or cousins? That adds an interesting dynamic as well.

17. James D says:

I’ve been seriously jonesing for some New Girl scoop all summer long, this is certainly a good start in satiating my desire, Great news Coach back yelling at women, I likey. Coach coming back and seeing whats happened the past two years, I likey even more. I have no doubt hilarity will ensue

18. Polly says:

YESSSS!!

really great day for my favourite shows xD

19. This could almost help with the HE grief. Make it happen TV faeries!

20. J says:

Such great news!! YAY! Coach is a great character.

21. Luis says:

Totally and completely awesome! Love DW, Jr! Happy to see him back on New Girl!

22. lariet50 says:

Woo hoo! I just hope they aren’t going to sacrifice Winston to make room.

• Shannon says:

I agree! I love Winston! In Season 2 Lamorne Morris really just came into the character and I love seeing what he is going to do each week. The chemistry of all the characters on New Girl is so great and I think bringing back Coach will just make it even better! I can’t wait for season 3!

• Jay says:

What would really be funny is if Coach and Winston just don’t get along. Despite Nicks constant efforts to keep the peace and Schmidt’s incredibly insensitive running commentary, they just continue to bicker like Ren and Stimpy on their worst day! Not only will it be fun to watch, but it’ll explain why coach hasn’t been around for two friggin’ years.

• Cort says:

I am ecstatic that DW Jr. may be coming back but that was one of my first worries as well. There’s always more room for more funny and he’d bring a great dynamic. I don’t want Winston going anywhere though. There’s more than enough room for two black men on that show. I kept having nightmare visions of The Walking Dead’s steady stream of new black male character’s that come on board…meaning the old character gets killed off to make room instead of going with the more is better idea…I hope New Girl incorporates Coach. I can’t wait to see how he reacts to it all. Schmidt/Cece, Nick/Jess and Winston who took his place within the group. Should also be interesting to hear where he’s been lol

23. Mike says:

It’s going to hurt seeing him on this. It will remind me of Happy Endings ;). That show was so amazing. Really sad it didn’t make it. I can’t believe a cable network or Amazon or Netflix didn’t pick it up. I would have donated to a Kickstarter for a new season. But anyway, I guess if he can’t be on that show I’m glad he’s coming back to New Girl.

24. Kat says:

YAY, COACH WAS THE BEST!!!! Even though he was only in one episode he was so completely hilarious and memorable in the pilot that it took me almost the entire first season to get over him not being around. Which is saying something since all of the other actors are obviously very good too. But DWJ is without a doubt a huge talent and will be such a welcome addition to New Girl again after Happy Endings was so undeservedly cancelled. But forget about a good arc for him, how about just adding his as another full time roommate on the show! Can’t wait for more awkward Coach and Jess moments. Especially now that she and Nick are dating. Bring it on!!

25. ggny says:

YES! YES! YES!

26. Nicole says:

Season 3: The Return of Coach! Hope it becomes permanent!! Love, love, loved him in the pilot!

27. schu says:

Score! Glad something good is happening for him already!

28. Hallie says:

Yesssssssss! It makes the Happy Endings cancellation a little less depressing. He’s hilarious.

29. Austin says:

Not Happy about Happy Endings but Not Mad about New Girl :3

30. kevin casey says:

If Winston is gone then so am I . Cannot wait for the show to fail if Morris is not brought back . Wayans Jr. cannot hold Morris’s jock strap or Happy would still be on . As they say : If it’s not broke , don’t fix it !!! By the way : Jess should have never messed with anyone in the house . Close calls & that’s it . That’s the dynamic of any coed roommate situation . Can men & women cohabitate without sexual contact . Now she will look like a slut if she ever sleeps with Schmidt or Winston .

• Meg says:

Chill out. No one said Morris was leaving. And no need to slut shame Jess…. She’d never get with Schmidt, anyway that was made clear in “Parking Spot” and she and Winston never had that chemistry. I love the nick/Jess storyline.

31. zaza says:

He can come back as long as he doesn’t replace Winston.

32. WHOOOOOOO! I mean, I love the show for many reasons, but Coach was my favorite thing about the pilot.

33. Joey says:

Happy he will be back as coach. glad he will be back on tv soon. I’ll miss him playing Brad on Happy Endings.

34. Jennifer says:

Hmmm so if Coach potentially moves back into, does that mean Nick and Jess would have to “move in” together to leave an empty room for Coach? Aka one bedroom (;

35. Kc says:

I enjoy Damon and think he’s funny, but I really do enjoy Winston and hope he doesn’t get left out with Damon around. Winston already has very little screen time and I don’t want someone else taking it away. For a few episodes I would welcome Damon though

36. Charles says:

As long it is only an arc. Winston makes this show. If you don’t believe me… HA! I’m gonna hit you with this bat!!

• Aprilcot says:

That’s how I feel too. I’m really afraid this will push Winston into the background even more. I wasn’t a Winston fan in the beginning but Lamorne Morris is just *so* good in the role. I don’t think they always know what to do with his character and I fear this may make it worse.

• Badpenny says:

I love Winston but I think his character is massively underused. His story generally ends up being the comic sidekick to someone else’s story. He gets in between Schmidt and CeCe, in between Nick and Jess, and even in between his boss and his issues. He really needs his own storyline in the series, but I guess there’s only so much you can do in 21 minutes.
      It will be interesting to see Jess and Nick shacking up so that Coach could have one of their rooms. Unless Coach decides to take the big room from Winston. :)

37. Juan says:

I’m still a little heartbroken about happy endings being cancelled but this is def. good news.

38. Sims says:

I loved Happy Endings but if this happens I will no longer be grumpy it was cancelled. Loved Coach in the pilot, would be so great if he came back!!

39. Siskaaw says:

Yes, this is what I am waiting for!

40. cas says:

Yes! I was sad when I watched the pilot and then Winston was in the next episode. However, I do love Winston but I do believe there is room for both! On a side note, as much as I love Schmidt’s girlfriend (even though I can’t think of her name right now), I really want him to choose Cece.

41. MLO says:

I guess I didn’t pay too much attention to the pilot – I didn’t realize they were different characters. I just thought it was a recast.

42. EmilyS says:

It’s already tough for Winston to stand out..

43. Sam says:

Winston being recast from Damon Wayons Jr. was just unfortunate. One is “over the top” (Wayons Jr. – which is like his father) while the other is more subdued. Their comedic methods are very different. I am another fan of Happy Endings and glad it made it to year 2 despite weak ratings. Will just try to enjoy his appearance on this show while he is on it. New Girl I am okay with, but not as big a fan of.

44. Luz says:

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was kind of waiting for this to happen since Happy Endings got cancelled! I always wanted more of Coach. I just hope if he does come back, Winston’s story won’t be reduce, he already has the weakest story which is unffair since he’s awesome.

45. Ella says:

Yes! He is awesome! Can we get rid of Winston and bring back Coach full time?

46. aa says:

Coach definitely got married to a woman played by Eliza Coupe within the past two years, right? RIGHT?!

47. Alicia says:

OMG! This makes me so happy! I was wating for this since he left the show. It’s gonna be awesome having him again. But, just for a couple of episodes?? let him stay!

48. Amy says:

I can’t stand Coach, I really hated his character. I’m so disappointed he’s coming back. They can barely give equal screen time to the 5 characters they have now!

49. mitx says:

how hot would it be if they actually joined the two universes, having penny date one of the guys, and Coach having to explain to the guys about being married and having other friends.