TNT Passes on Geena Davis' Bounty Hunter Pilot

geenaGeena Davis‘ TNT bounty hunter pilot is making like the deadbeat criminals her character hunts: It’s failing to appear.

The cable network will not move forward with the untitled project, in which the Oscar-winner was to play an unconventional skiptracer, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Pilot Season 2013: Get Scoop on This Fall’s (Possible) Newcomers and Who’s In Them

The series would have been a return to the small screen for the former Commander in Chief star. Marsha Mason (The Middle) was to play Davis’ mother, who would team up with her daughter on jobs, and Scott Bakula (Quantum Leap) was cast as Davis’ character’s ex-husband.

The project — penned by Scott Prendergast and Amy Berg, with Dean Devlin (Leverage) as director — was inspired by the real-life story of Mackenzie Green.

1. Andy says:

I was only going to check it out because of Dean Devlin. Other than that, it didn’t do much for me.

2. liz says:

Oh that’s so disappointing! They had me ages ago at ‘Geena Davis, Bounty Hunter’. Been looking forward to it. Bummer!!

3. nonawallert says:

Perhaps TNT passed on this Dean Devlin project to bring back the late great Leverage, another great project from Dean Devlin. That would be awesome!

4. wow this is sad, seemed like a good one. TNT really has been messing up lately

5. JWB says:

The show was DOA from the start. Geena Davis is too old to play a Bounty Hunter. Plus the show sounds like a ripoff of The Huntress on usa.

• scooby says:

Geena Davis was going to play a character based on a real person a la Kerry Washington playing a version of Judy Smith on Scandal. It’s not a ripoff of anything. Dog the Bounty Hunter is no spring chicken (he’s 3 years older than her and still working). Geena could totally be a bounty hunter from an age standpoint. Haven’t seen the now unaired pilot so maybe it just didn’t work for some other reason.

• Maryann says:

To think that Geena Davis is too old to play a bounty hunter is just ridiculous. As people get older, a lot of what they are able to do is based on how well they keep themselves in shape. Of two people the same age, one could be disabled and need a cane and another could be running marathons and going at full-out sparring in a martial arts class.

• MDLasky says:

As her first ‘bounty’ of the show, I can attest to the fact that Geena can keep up! Full on foot chase in heeled boots across cement 100+ yrds at a time.. take after take. all night long. Geena is still a goddess. I just hope I can get the footage. :-/

6. Megan says:

Sad! The lead actors are some of my personal favorite. Would have love to seen even a few episodes!

7. Laura says:

Sounds like TNT are failing their audiences from all angles these days, first Leverage then Southlands and then they’re passing on big-star filled pilots in lieu of what exactly?? Would be drawn back if the brought Leverage back to our screens!

8. Jacob says:

bring leverage back!

9. kandie says:

Bring back leverage”!

10. DavidSask says:

Given the premise and who would have been lead in said character is anyone shocked?, Poor decisions from start!

11. cindy says:

Glad they renewed Falling Skies, but I still miss Leverage and wish they hadn’t passed on this pilot or the pilot Scent of the Missing.

12. Maryann says:

I could never get into Leverage, but I would definitely have watched this show, or Scent of the Missing. I was most definitely looking forward to the type of comic banter you could have in a dramedy bounty hunter show that starred both Geena Davis and Scott Bakula. I wonder if it had some of the same vibes as “One for the Money”? That movie is one I could watch over and over again, but it must not have resonated with a wider audience, because it was a box office failure.

13. Marilyn says:

I love Geena Davis and am really sad the show was not picked up. But, I am posting from a very selfish perspective. My granddaughter, Rachel DiPillo, was cast to play Geena’s daughter in the show and It makes me sad to see any member of my family upset. Onward and upward to other opportunities!

• MDLasky says:

yeah, I was set up as a ‘recurring’ as well after we filmed the pilot (I’m not on imdb yet for some reason despite many extras being listed already, but had a decent role) … Think of it like this: having a pilot not go to air is a natural step in an actor’s career. Just like getting your lines cut from something. She should be happy that she got it out of the way and look forward to bigger better things on the horizon. :) Best, Matt

14. Dave says:

Whatever happened to Geena Davis? She used to be in movies but she’s not in movies anymore. She’s attractive enough but when she smiles you see too much gum. Not a good tooth-to-gum ratio.

15. Jon says:

Jeez this really sucks. To be honest the only reason I actually wanted to see this was because of Scott Bakula. He is such a fantastic actor, it is really too bad the show fell through.