How I Met Your Mother: Wayne Brady RSVPs to Barney and Robin's Wedding Weekend

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers Wayne BradyHow I Met Your Mother‘s wedding-set final season is, fittingly, turning out to be a family affair.

Wayne Brady will return to the CBS comedy in a recurring capacity as Barney’s brother James in Season 9, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers on ‘The Locket’

The actor announced his news via Twitter on Monday.

James’ reappearance — he was last seen in a 2011 episode — isn’t a complete surprise, seeing as how the show’s upcoming swan song takes place during the weekend of Barney’s nuptials to Robin.

Brady next stars in The CW’s Whose Line Is It Anyway? revival.

HIMYM fans, what other family members would you like to see return for the big day?

1. Annie says:

That’s awesome!! I was hoping we would see James again! Best man, I assume?

• Ryan says:

Ted is the best man.

• twilight123 says:

I was under the impression that Ted was Robin’s best man. No?

• Nero theTVFiddler says:

Good knowledge and recall – I think back in episode 6.12 (False Positive), Robin does indeed make that offer to Ted [Ted having given Robin good career advice en route to her job at WWN], and it is alluded to again in 7.01 (The Best Man). ‘Best Man’ – small consolation prize for Ted, but something better than nothing, perhaps?

2. Elly says:

I love him as James but I have a feeling after about 6 episodes the whole “at the wedding” theme is going to get annoying.

• Tom Charles says:

Six? I’m thinking somewhere around the start of the fourth it’s gonna get lame, unless they have something sneaky up their sleeves.

• Adam says:

I still assume that they’ll flash-forward and flashback a lot. There hasn’t been an episode since early season one (if then, really) without some kind of flash-forward, flashback, or hypothetical-flash-sideways so I doubt they’d start now.

Really, they’ve been “at the wedding” since the season 6 premiere, with Ted sitting outside the church – but the story is still narrated from year 2030 (and the wedding weekend in May 2013) so there’s plenty of room for the story to jump around.

3. Jess says:

Yay! I also hope they plan on bringing back Lucy Hale as Robin’s sister.

4. Paula says:

I love James, so this is such good news. I hope to see Loretta too and Barney’s dad. Maybe they will have some kind of PLL reunion with Lucy Hale (she was Robin’s sister) and Ashley Benson (Barney’s half sister)

• steven says:

You can’t have a PLL reunion if the show is still on the air and both actresses are still on the show.

5. Azerty says:

Great! I am really not fond of the timeline of this season but one (of the only) good points is that they can bring many guest stars to the wedding. Now bring John Lightgow, Ashley Benson and Lucy Hale as Barney&Robin relatives and I will be partially happy :)

6. “Brady next stars in The CW’s Whose Line Is It Anyway? revival.” cool

7. mspenn1013 says:

I was hoping he was going to be on for this. He was missed during the batchelor party episode.

8. Nick says:

Patrice has to be a bridesmaid. Or at least attend the wedding. We didn’t see her at all after Barney proposed.

9. Patrick says:

I must be alone in this, but I think the whole season at the wedding is brilliant. Cheers did an hour long season finale at the freaking reception, and it was brilliant.

A long wedding weekend has so much to offer, especially since Ted won’t meet the Mother until the reception. There is the pre wedding dinner, and the romantic shenanigans that can take place after that when everybody has a few drinks in them (Nothing good ever happens after 2am). Then there is the inevitable lead up to the actual wedding ceremony and everything that can go wrong there, especially with 2 nutcases like Barney and Robin (still hate that ship, but, oh well). Then there is the reception.

Combine all that with the de rigeur flashes, both forward, backward, and sideways, and you have a season.

10. Cate Amos says:

I want to see Barney’s mom and dad deal with the awkwardness of being reunited at his wedding.

11. Me says:

I still want Ted and Robin to be endgame, but slowly getting used to the idea they wont be, i just hope he is even happier with the mother

• cas says:

Haha love this comment. I am slowly getting use to it too. I would have gotten over it a long time ago but I feel they really pushed towards it. I mean the whole park scene this season with Robin and Ted just made me want them more. But I was never a Barney/Robin shipper ever.

• ElKabong says:

“Slowly” indeed. Seeing as Ted/Robin was directly dismissed in the pilot…

12. Joey says:

Wanye Brady has always been great on HIMYM. I can’t wait to see him in new season.

13. Jack D.Wahl, Jr says:

This coming final season is going to be HIMYM/24 lol

14. Tom D says:

Barney’s best man needs to be his idol William Zabka (Karate Kid). That would be legend—–ary

15. jason says:

What about Ted’s sister??? No love?

16. Sammijo says:

I’m hoping for a lot of calvin (keagan key) and Keirstin? (Casey Wilson) as robin and Barney’s arch nemesis.

17. Joe says:

Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumble look like Malcom X.

18. Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?|

19. Carmen says:

I’ve always been very annoyed with Barney’s character. He has some good moments, but he just screws everything up most of the time. I’m glad Ted moves on from Robin. I don’t even want Ted and Robin together, but I still hate Robin and Barney together and it’s really not okay because Ted was with her first. We will see what happens in this last season.