Fall TV Preview

How I Met Your Mother: Wayne Brady RSVPs to Barney and Robin's Wedding Weekend

How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers Wayne BradyHow I Met Your Mother‘s wedding-set final season is, fittingly, turning out to be a family affair.

Wayne Brady will return to the CBS comedy in a recurring capacity as Barney’s brother James in Season 9, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | How I Met Your Mother Season 9 Spoilers on ‘The Locket’

The actor announced his news via Twitter on Monday.

James’ reappearance — he was last seen in a 2011 episode — isn’t a complete surprise, seeing as how the show’s upcoming swan song takes place during the weekend of Barney’s nuptials to Robin.

Brady next stars in The CW’s Whose Line Is It Anyway? revival.

HIMYM fans, what other family members would you like to see return for the big day?

Comments (38)

• That’s awesome!! I was hoping we would see James again! Best man, I assume?

Comment by Annie – July 9, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ted is the best man.

Comment by Ryan – July 9, 2013 02:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I was under the impression that Ted was Robin’s best man. No?

Comment by twilight123 – July 9, 2013 06:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Good knowledge and recall – I think back in episode 6.12 (False Positive), Robin does indeed make that offer to Ted [Ted having given Robin good career advice en route to her job at WWN], and it is alluded to again in 7.01 (The Best Man). ‘Best Man’ – small consolation prize for Ted, but something better than nothing, perhaps?

Comment by Nero theTVFiddler – July 11, 2013 10:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love him as James but I have a feeling after about 6 episodes the whole “at the wedding” theme is going to get annoying.

Comment by Elly – July 9, 2013 01:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Six? I’m thinking somewhere around the start of the fourth it’s gonna get lame, unless they have something sneaky up their sleeves.

Comment by Tom Charles – July 9, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still assume that they’ll flash-forward and flashback a lot. There hasn’t been an episode since early season one (if then, really) without some kind of flash-forward, flashback, or hypothetical-flash-sideways so I doubt they’d start now.

Really, they’ve been “at the wedding” since the season 6 premiere, with Ted sitting outside the church – but the story is still narrated from year 2030 (and the wedding weekend in May 2013) so there’s plenty of room for the story to jump around.

Comment by Adam – July 9, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • This is true. I’m not sure why everyone is quite so bent out of shape about this.

Comment by ElKabong – July 10, 2013 02:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! I also hope they plan on bringing back Lucy Hale as Robin’s sister.

Comment by Jess – July 9, 2013 01:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes to more Lucy Hale! Honestly, more of Robin’s dad, Wayne Brady, Ruth Fisher, and one of my fave actors of all time John Lithgow will be fabulous. I also want to meet Robin’s mom, who we never hear about – potential for some comedy with her character.

Comment by Britican – July 9, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lucy Hale and Ashley Benson in the same episode as Robin and Barney’s sisters!

Comment by Azerty – July 9, 2013 01:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Oh man I’d forgotten about the Ashley Benson episode but yes please!

Comment by Britican – July 9, 2013 01:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • I really, really want this to happen!

Comment by twilight123 – July 9, 2013 06:54 PM PDT
        • PLL invading HIMYM? Yes, please!

Comment by DL – July 10, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m really tickled that you referred to Frances Conroy by her Six Feet Under character. :)

Comment by DL – July 10, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love James, so this is such good news. I hope to see Loretta too and Barney’s dad. Maybe they will have some kind of PLL reunion with Lucy Hale (she was Robin’s sister) and Ashley Benson (Barney’s half sister)

Comment by Paula – July 9, 2013 01:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t have a PLL reunion if the show is still on the air and both actresses are still on the show.

Comment by steven – July 9, 2013 03:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great! I am really not fond of the timeline of this season but one (of the only) good points is that they can bring many guest stars to the wedding. Now bring John Lightgow, Ashley Benson and Lucy Hale as Barney&Robin relatives and I will be partially happy :)

Comment by Azerty – July 9, 2013 01:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Brady next stars in The CW’s Whose Line Is It Anyway? revival.” cool

Comment by Michael Sacal – July 9, 2013 02:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping he was going to be on for this. He was missed during the batchelor party episode.

Comment by mspenn1013 – July 9, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Patrice has to be a bridesmaid. Or at least attend the wedding. We didn’t see her at all after Barney proposed.

Comment by Nick – July 9, 2013 03:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, definitely! After Robin was so freakin’ mean to Patrice, she owes her big-time!

Comment by izzybella – July 9, 2013 03:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NOBODY ASKED YOU NICK OR IZZYBELLA!!!

Comment by Ms. Scherbatsky – July 11, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I must be alone in this, but I think the whole season at the wedding is brilliant. Cheers did an hour long season finale at the freaking reception, and it was brilliant.

A long wedding weekend has so much to offer, especially since Ted won’t meet the Mother until the reception. There is the pre wedding dinner, and the romantic shenanigans that can take place after that when everybody has a few drinks in them (Nothing good ever happens after 2am). Then there is the inevitable lead up to the actual wedding ceremony and everything that can go wrong there, especially with 2 nutcases like Barney and Robin (still hate that ship, but, oh well). Then there is the reception.

Combine all that with the de rigeur flashes, both forward, backward, and sideways, and you have a season.

Comment by Patrick – July 9, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yup. I thought I was the only one that was looking forward to this.. :)

Comment by Pinky – July 10, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want to see Barney’s mom and dad deal with the awkwardness of being reunited at his wedding.

Comment by Cate Amos – July 9, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I still want Ted and Robin to be endgame, but slowly getting used to the idea they wont be, i just hope he is even happier with the mother

Comment by Me – July 9, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha love this comment. I am slowly getting use to it too. I would have gotten over it a long time ago but I feel they really pushed towards it. I mean the whole park scene this season with Robin and Ted just made me want them more. But I was never a Barney/Robin shipper ever.

Comment by cas – July 10, 2013 08:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • “Slowly” indeed. Seeing as Ted/Robin was directly dismissed in the pilot…

Comment by ElKabong – July 10, 2013 02:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wanye Brady has always been great on HIMYM. I can’t wait to see him in new season.

Comment by Joey – July 9, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This coming final season is going to be HIMYM/24 lol

Comment by Jack D.Wahl, Jr – July 10, 2013 03:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Barney’s best man needs to be his idol William Zabka (Karate Kid). That would be legend—–ary

Comment by Tom D – July 10, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Ted’s sister??? No love?

Comment by jason – July 10, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping for a lot of calvin (keagan key) and Keirstin? (Casey Wilson) as robin and Barney’s arch nemesis.

Comment by Sammijo – July 11, 2013 09:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wayne Brady makes Bryant Gumble look like Malcom X.

Comment by Joe – July 11, 2013 05:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to more added agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?|

Comment by ulimited hosting – August 4, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve always been very annoyed with Barney’s character. He has some good moments, but he just screws everything up most of the time. I’m glad Ted moves on from Robin. I don’t even want Ted and Robin together, but I still hate Robin and Barney together and it’s really not okay because Ted was with her first. We will see what happens in this last season.

Comment by Carmen – August 5, 2013 03:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post