Elisabeth Hasselbeck Exiting The View for Fox and Friends Gig — Who Should Replace Her?

Get More: Daytime TV

hasselbeckThe View might be looking a little more to the left later this week.

The show’s resident conservative panelist Elisabeth Hasselbeck, who began her broadcast career as a contestant on Survivor, will exit Barbara Walters’ ABC chat-fest after Wednesday’s installment to begin a gig as host of Fox and Friends. The news was broken by The New York Post.

Hasselbeck’s Fox News stint will put her alongside current cohosts Steve Doocy and Brian Kilmeade. Gretchen Carlson, meanwhile, will shift from the panel to host a one-hour daytime program.

“Elisabeth’s warm and engaging personality made her a star on The View,” Fox News Chairman & CEO Roger Ailes told The Post. “She has proven to be an excellent conversationalist and I am certain she will make a great addition to our already successful morning franchise.”

Walters weighed in on her cohost’s exit, too. “When Elisabeth survived Survivor we wanted to make sure she would stay afloat,” she said in a statement. “We have had 10 wonderful years with her and she will now be swimming in new waters. We will miss her and wish her everything good.”

ABC also issued a statement: “For a decade, Elisabeth Hasselbeck has brought her passion and strong beliefs to The View. We watched her journey from newlywed to motherhood, an Emmy Award-winning talk show host, author, entrepreneur and activist. She stood behind her political views even if they were not the most popular opinions at the table, never shying away from voicing a difficult question. We thank Elisabeth and wish her luck as she begins this new chapter of her career.”

ABC’s daytime talker is in the midst of some serious upheaval. In March, longtime host Joy Behar announced her intent to step down after 16-plus years on the job, while Walters herself confirmed in May that she’ll retire from television altogether in the summer of 2014.

Rumors have circulated in recent weeks that Brooke Shields and Jenny McCarthy might fill the vacancies left by Behar and Hasselbeck, who’d been widely expected to fly the coop despite Walters denying departure buzz a few months ago.

What do you think of Hasselbeck’s departure? Will you miss her on The View? Will you follow her to Fox and Friends? And who should be her replacement? Take our poll below, then expand on your thoughts in the comments!

Comments (99)

• Just a total shocker she would end up at Fox. /sarcasm

Comment by Amanda – July 9, 2013 04:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haha. Tons of shockers. She has barely been on this summer, and when she is on she has been very mellow. She’s probably trying not to rock the boat, and mess up her new contract. My guess is that The View is narrowing in on their choice to replace her and Behar, so it is time to announce. At least now when I watch(when I DVR the show) I don’t have to use my fast forward button as much.

Comment by S – July 9, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • put on a gay guy and leave the good guys alone.

Comment by JOE – July 12, 2013 01:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m a conservative and love Fox and Friends and feel she’s not right for this. Smiles, nods, shrill, a paper doll. Adds nothing to the couch but a couch filler.

Comment by Disappointed One – February 26, 2014 03:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m rather happy to see her going

Comment by S – July 9, 2013 04:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Idiots hiring idiots. Perfect.

Comment by Dave – July 9, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought.

Comment by Suzanne Kari (@suzank45) – July 9, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Same here.
      I don’t care WHAT one’s political leanings are, I really do not understand how anyone can stand to listen to the people on “Fox and Friends” babbling on every morning.

Comment by Angela – July 9, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay! Now I can watch The View again!

Comment by Kate – July 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what I thought Kate!

Comment by Katrinka – July 9, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ooo….no more yelling at my television during the show now!

Comment by Alichat – July 9, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I feel the same way. I can’t say how many times I changed the channel when she would start going off on something and her would get really strident . It basically got to the point I completely stopped watching the View because of her.

Comment by yep – July 9, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yep now they can just re name it. The Liberal View. it’s gonna be boring with robots who think exactly the same I say the show goes off the air in a couple years. no one wants to hear the same thing over and over patting each other on the back total agreement all the time what will they blabber about? there will be no discussion. one will say blah blah blah then you will hear. yes. I agree and you go girl! Boooooooorrrrrrinnng! blah blah blah

Comment by Gordy – July 15, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should’ve been @ Fox all along.

Comment by megan – July 9, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who will play her on SNL?

Comment by Marc – July 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • right?! HAHA! the only thing i “know” about Fox & Friends is the SNL sketches, so yeah, that seems like a good fit.

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 9, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m sure Kate could take care of it

Comment by Taylor – July 9, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NO ONE!! Good riddance :)) I might watch again now!

Comment by Frank – July 9, 2013 09:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And what exactly qualifies her for that position? She has no real political background…

Comment by Kelsey – July 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She belittles her current co-hosts when they don’t agree with her instead of having a healthy discussion. If anything…she’s over-qualified.

Comment by Amanda – July 9, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Lol. Great observation.

Comment by MC – July 9, 2013 04:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That’s just completely untrue.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She’s qualified due to her strong Republican beliefs. That’s all you need to be on Fox.

Comment by TheEx – July 9, 2013 05:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Neither does most of Fox News except when they hire Bush and Romney aids during elections, because that’s somehow was legal.

Comment by Midori – July 9, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How VERy fitting. Where the idiots go.

Comment by adeline – July 9, 2013 04:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No those are on CBS,ABC,CNBC etc.

Comment by Keith – July 9, 2013 04:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Good one. How’s Bill doing?

Comment by Dan – July 9, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hope she’ll enjoy being able to complete a sentence! Happy for her.

Comment by Bobbi – July 9, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • One less reason to watch the view.

Not that I am a fan of hers but at least she provided a different point of view (no pun intended) from the liberal echo chamber on that show.

Comment by Mellow – July 9, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. The other women quickly get into nasty smackdown mode whenever anyone’s on who isn’t 100 percent liberal. It gets monotonous. Never liked Hasselbeck that much because so many other conservative-leaning women are so much smarter and more articulate … but at least she offered a slightly different “view.”

Comment by Lyn – July 9, 2013 05:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If anythiing, they let Hasslebeck dominate conversations TOO MUCH in order to give the appearance that they let differing views be voiced. She constantly talked over guests and the other hosts in her shrill voice. She rarely provided cogent arguments and just parroted conservative talking points heard ad nauseum elsewhere.

Comment by jestsaying – July 10, 2013 09:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great for her! Too bad The View is going to become even less balanced than it was.

Comment by Tyler – July 9, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • We want Ali Wentworth to host!!!!!!

Comment by Tammy – July 9, 2013 04:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so Bree Ali went worth is one of the funniest hosts they have ever had. Her sense of humor is infectious. I love her!

Comment by Lori cook – July 12, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh thank goodness, it’s a match made in…well I won’t go there ;) but now I can start watching the View again. :D

Comment by Susie – July 9, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • To you and everyone who’s been saying you can watch The View again – was it that bad that there was one person who wasn’t in lockstep with everyone else’s viewpoint? It’s always been blatantly obvious that Whoopi, Joy, etc. were way to the left of center, so why was it so incredibly painful to have one person who leaned right? And let’s face it, when four people are talking over one person you have to be loud to be heard. What are you going to do if, say, Sarah Palin takes a slot on the show?

Comment by theduck – July 9, 2013 07:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I never had a problem with her politics. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs and a little variety is a good thing. The problem was her loud, shrill, non-sensical arguments. She couldn’t back up anything she said with intellect, she was just emotion and volume.

Comment by Marie – July 9, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The reason you saw it that was is because you disagree with her. Are you going to tell me that you think Joy is quiet and respectful and intelligent? LOL! You obviously agree with the ultra liberal point of view, so you did not notice howJoy and Whoopi (more than any of the others) tend to be when arguing a point. I agree with others that Elizabeth often had no choice but to yell over the others to be heard. You don’t think she has intelligent arguments to offer simply because you disagree with her.

Comment by CAM – July 10, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Wow, CAM. Assume much? I said nothing about my likes and dislikes, nor about the others on the program. I welcome a varying point of view because the others can seem too homogeneous. I simply did not care for Elisabeth’s arguments and delivery. Period. Now before you rant on, step back and take a deep breath and try not to tell other people what they think and feel.

In the meantime, it would be good if The View could present a variety of viewpoints without one or more of them sounding like a shrill harpy. Unfortunately, that’s what Elisabeth sounded like to me.

Comment by Marie – July 10, 2013 10:29 AM PDT
        • Of course you must be referring to Joy, since that is a perfect description of her.

Comment by margie smith – August 14, 2013 12:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Think of the old “Hannity and Colmes” on Fox News. They eventually dropped Colmes because no one wanted to listen to his slightly right of center opinions.

Comment by Bob – July 10, 2013 06:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • LOL, it wasn’t that I disagreed with her(even tho I did on many things) she never had a valid, intelligent response to any of her remarks/views. She was shrill, rude and obnoxious when no one agreed with her. That’s why I stopped watching.

Comment by Susie – July 10, 2013 09:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • While everyone is entitled to their political beliefs, her views are so ridiculously to the right, without any sense to back them up. She’s landed in the only place she truly belongs, if she’s going to be talking politics to anyone for any reason.

Comment by Abby – July 9, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess she’ll be perfect, since all she’s ever done is parrot what she hears on Fox News to begin with.

Comment by derella79 – July 9, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And the rest parrot liberal ABC

Comment by Keith – July 9, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s not true. If you actually watched the show, you’d know she has gone after Trump for his ridiculous Obama birth certificate embarrassment, she supports same-sex marriage, and she has even complimented President Obama when she thought he deserved it. She was not a Fox News parrot on The View.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great news. I like Elizabeth but can not stand watching The View. Between Joy and Whoopi it is ridiculous how little tolerance they show for anyone that does not agree with their views and how they fawn over those they agree with, regardless of how outlandish, ridiculous or unfounded their position may be. I guess they are not interested in having a balanced discussion or representation. I will have to DVR Fox and Friends now…

Comment by Babygate – July 9, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • While I don’t always agree with her (I can say the same for each of them) at least she has a different view – which is what the show was supposed to be about. I personally don’t know how anyone could work with Walters considering how she cuts them off, frequently stops them mid sentence to say “that’s not the point” or won’t let someone finish a thought if it goes against what she wants to say.

Comment by Kristoffer – July 9, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It couldn’t be more clear that The View decided not to renew her contract and agreed to keep their mouth shuts about it until she could secure another job. It’s in no way as if she opted to leave.

Comment by Mackenzie – July 9, 2013 04:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yep! It was reported months ago that her contract wasn’t being renewed.

Comment by Kate – July 9, 2013 04:45 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Unconfirmed reports. They were likely true (or, likelier, they lowballed her and Joy in contract talks), but still, they were all unconfirmed reports. The problem these days is that nobody seems to know the difference. It’s more fun to believe what you want to believe.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How long will The View ever going to an end? ABC needs answers.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 9, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Probably after you learn proper grammar.

Comment by JON – July 9, 2013 07:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I don’t care what “proper grammar” means. I don’t want to see those two words ever again. :-(

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 9, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I think the point JON was making is that your comment makes no sense. Part of the pointing of posting comments should be that other people can understand what you’re trying to say. Your comment looks like something you pieced together from a magnetic poetry board.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • “Part of the point” is what that should have read.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:34 PM PDT
          • magnetic poetry board. good one!

Comment by jestsaying – July 10, 2013 09:09 AM PDT
  • If the panel is all Democrats then why is it the View? With no conservative voice on there with an opinion. It should be renamed the Democratic View..

Comment by Nick – July 9, 2013 05:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • not all points of view are politically based.

Comment by jj – July 9, 2013 09:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • ABC should try to bring back the best host they ever had: Lisa Ling.

Comment by mark – July 9, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Brooke’s the only one I can stand.

Comment by Anna Paolinelli (@AnnaPaolinelli1) – July 9, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, but I voted for the monkey!

Comment by Princess Adora – July 9, 2013 06:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ll watch if Crystal the Monkey gets the position.

Comment by ben – July 9, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “warm and engaging personality”…..”excellent conversationalist”?

Comment by A – July 9, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They could bring back Rosie O’Donnell now.

Comment by Lana – July 9, 2013 05:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I get that her role there was to fill the conservative viewpoint, so I hope her replacement will actually have facts, an education and conversation/debating skills to state such opinions without making this hypothetical person look like a moron. Do conservatives like that exist??

Comment by Princess Adora – July 9, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve had Rachel Campos Duffy on the show to guest host a few times lately. I think she would fit that bill, but I doubt she’d move to NYC with her 6 kids. Plus her husband is a congressman for Wisconsin so he has to live there.

Comment by Meg – July 9, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hate to break it to you, but there are idiots on both ends of the political spectrum.

Comment by TV Gord – July 9, 2013 07:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So Sherri, Whoopi and Joy fit that description? Facts are very rare on this show no matter who is speaking. Sherri is totally uneducated and has no conversational skills whatsoever. Sherri didn’t know if the world was flat and stated she didn’t believe in evolution “period”!! So, you’re demanding requirements of someone with a conservative point of view that don’t exist on the other side of the panel.

Elisabeth has a degree from Boston College. Her biggest fights took place with Rosie….another uneducated woman who reacted based purely on emotion, with no facts. It is her point of view people have objected to and that’s really sad. I remember the days when we could actually have a discussion in this country with BOTH sides represented. From what I’ve read The View’s going to be less political…that’s one way to handle the fact that they will have a panel with one point of view. What a farce!

Comment by Bobbi – July 10, 2013 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • For the record, I hate Sherri too. I don’t care about what someone’s views are as long as they are somewhat intelligent and well informed. Joy and Whoopi can be “meh” on that point sometimes but they are much better than elisabeth and sherri. As far as Hasslbeck is concerned, I never thought she belonged on television due to her shrill voice that would make my college voice teacher cringe. She ;doesn’t have enough other credentials/ positive attributes to make me overlook the fact that the very sound of her prepubescent voice made me want to grind nails in my ears.

Comment by jestsaying – July 10, 2013 09:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • a broom

Comment by strachpa – July 9, 2013 06:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s really too bad; I’m so left wing I’m practically a communist, but she brought a great energy to the show. And while I disagreed with her a lot, sometimes I didn’t and she actually has some really good points about stuff.
    Plus she’s changed so much over the years, I worry her going to FOX will undermine any work she’s done

Comment by liz – July 9, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She is dreadful. What is America coming to when this dumb weasel gets so much attention?

Comment by Pat – July 9, 2013 07:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hardly agree with Elisabeth, (by hardly, I mean never.), but I loved that she provided a different view, which the show is supposed to be about. I mean, we would never have that split screen with Rosie if not for her right wing beliefs. I still Youtube that episode and I love it!!!! “Poor little Elisabeth”… I love that episode!!!

I wonder now if Joy and Elisabeth’s removal were the show’s decision or their own. Seems like The View is getting worried of The Talk and want to revamp the show and turn it into a nicey chatfest among girls and no more arguing.

Comment by JON – July 9, 2013 07:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d go for Megan McCain.

Comment by Lee – July 9, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Megan McCain. She’d fill both the conservative and younger void left by Elisabeth and I think her liberal social views would be well received, but she is working on her own show that launches on a new network called Pivot in August. She’s guest hosted so many times that I feel like she’d be a shoo-in if she was available.

Comment by Mackenzie – July 9, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This is a good idea.

Comment by Angela – July 9, 2013 10:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Dead air would be more intriguing than that cluckfest.

Comment by Walter – July 9, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please not Brooke Shields…

Comment by sam – July 9, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Crystal the Monkey! She is a real talent – she was on Survivor 2, swinging from tree to tree in Australia that season when she was known as ‘Sylvia the Monkey’. She headlined her own cable fashion series for a time – very successful. Yes, she did have some problems on her next series, falling into the habit of throwing her excrement at the audience whenever she disagreed with them. But that’s all in the past now – Crystal apologized, went to rehab, and learned from her mistakes.

Now, Crystal is tan, rested and ready, and we welcome Crystal joining the ABC team. A clothing line and book [perhaps about bananas] is surely in her future. Crystal wants to thank all the fine people who helped make her rise in television a success.

Comment by Crystal the Monkey's agent – July 9, 2013 10:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Wishing Elisabeth well in her new job.

Comment by JBC – July 9, 2013 10:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The View was interesting when it first started. It was about five women of different generations voicing their opinions about what was going on in the world and hot topics. It was fresh, fun and entertaining and Meredith made a great moderator who kept it on track. Around the tail end of the Bush administration it morphed into a wanna be political format with Rosie and Joy leading the Bush bashing with Elizabeth giving as good as she got. The last six years has been like watching state run television with the Obamafest that is going on. While Elizabeth has had her inarticulate moments, as have all the others, she isn’t reading from the same script as the rest and that cannot be tolerated on this show.

Comment by sd – July 10, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like her and I bet she’s happy to get out of The View. That show is starting to smell like a nursing home. She’s smart and she’ll do fine at Fox (much to the chagrin of some.)

Comment by Ali – July 10, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You can’t use ‘smart’ and ‘Fox’ in the same sentence.

Comment by Aprilcot – July 10, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good riddance. If Ann Coulter is even considered, I will never watch again. That woman is just vile. Will miss Joy, however.

Comment by Debbie M – July 10, 2013 06:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Ann Coulter wouldn’t do it, because she is incapable of face to face debate with someone who disagrees with her.

Comment by Paul – July 10, 2013 10:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • She should be replaced by an intelligent, articulate conservative individual. Meghan McCain would be good. Or there is…..uhm…..hmm…well, this might be difficult if Meghan is busy.

Comment by Josh – July 10, 2013 07:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It wouldn’t be much of a talk show if everyone shared the same point of view. I do not share Elizabeth’s politics, but she has been much more respectful towards this administration than Joy ever was towards Bush. I like Elizabeth and will miss what she brings to the table (especially her work with team RWB). But I refuse to watch Fox, so I guess today will be it for me. I wish her luck.

Comment by Carol – July 10, 2013 08:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I agree with Ali Wentworth for a replacement for Elisabeth and Brooke Shields for Joy. They still have their comedians and they have women who r respected.

Comment by gail Paich – July 10, 2013 08:49 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The View just got brighter and clearer!

Comment by Greg K – July 10, 2013 09:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Angie Harmon

Comment by Gillian – July 10, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Please NOT Ann Coultner Nor Sarah Palin NOR Michele Bachman. Too closed minded for a non-political talk show IMHO. Of the choices noted, I say Jenny McCarthy. She’s a lot more well-spoken vs her perceived public persona, especially as a parent of a child who is autistic. She also can be funny.

Comment by heyang – July 10, 2013 09:57 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nice to see all the liberal morons out and about.

Comment by Ant – July 10, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good luck Elisabeth wish you well in your new job, not going to say mean things! Also Joy I will miss you but wish you well! With Joy gone it won’t be the same!

Comment by Lokemelie – July 10, 2013 11:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Judy Sheindlin, not that she’d be interested (or available).

Comment by Hurding Katz – July 10, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Elisabeth always just repeats what she hears on Fox News anyway, so she might as well be on Fox.

Comment by Mags – July 10, 2013 05:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d like to see Amy Schumer or Ali Wentworth whom both can keep it light.

Comment by sd – July 10, 2013 06:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’d love to see Brooke Shields,Jenny McCarthy,or Alli Wentworth.

Comment by Ayana – July 13, 2013 11:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post