Community Season 5: Donald Glover Not Returning Full Time -- Who's Gonna Tell Abed?

community season 5 Donald Glover leavingAbed is not going to like this. Not one bit.

Donald Glover (Troy) will not be returning to Community full-time in Season 5, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | NBC Fall Schedule: Parenthood, Revolution on the Move, Community Warms the Bench

According to Vulture, which first broke the news, Glover — who wants to devote more time to his Childish Gambino-fueled music career — will only appear in five of the show’s upcoming 13 episodes.

Word of Glover’s reduced schedule comes roughly a month after series creator Dan Harmon inked a deal to return as showrunner (after sitting Season 4 out).

RELATED | Fall Preview Photos and Video: Your Guide to 50-Plus New Shows

Thoughts? Does this unfortunate development dampen your enthusiasm for Season 5? Also, should Community find Abed a new BFF to fill the eight-episode void? Hit the comments!

1. ktbanks says:

But….what will Abed do?!?!

• rockgolf says:

Hopefully, spend more time with that girl from the Sophie B Hawkins dance.
      On good shows, cast changes can greatly extend the series life and keep it interesting: Cheers, M*A*S*H, E.R.

2. Joel says:

I love Childish Gambino’s music, but darn it… He couldn’t have just waited a few more months? I’m sure this is probably going to be the final season of Community.

• Elly says:

I know, that seems like kind of a dick move. You couldn’t just stick around for like 10 episodes, I mean come one.

• Ethan says:

Exactly, it doesn’t take long to film 13 episodes. I have been waiting for his ego to outgrow this role and it appears now is that time. Gambino is okay, but not great, certainly not better than Community.

• Ben says:

His music is 10x better than his acting.

• Tolita says:

Not at all. Donald is multi-talented but I’d rather see him in ‘Community’ than listen to Childish Gambino. That’s not to say he is not good at both but he’s grown so much as a comic actor. The show won’t be the same without him. I am surprised about Chevy leaving too. Did I miss something?

• Jt says:

Couldn’t agree more! Love the music, but (as you said) “DARN IT!”

3. Rebecca Parker says:

… What? How do they not have his contract locked up so he can’t do this? I mean, I understand he wants to further his career, but Troy isn’t even going to be in half the season? Plus no Pierce (which I am fine with)? This show will hardly even feel like Community anymore.

• DL says:

From what I understand, they could have demanded he appear in all the episodes but they chose not to. Probably a money-saving decision. But yeah, I agree, I’m quickly losing enthusiasm for Season 5.

4. Sean says:

I believe I speak for everyone when I say: “WHAT THE HELL?”

5. ElKabong says:

Nooooooooooooooooo… this is the darkest timeline.

6. Katherine says:

This is so disappointing…

7. Aleksa says:

NoooOOOOOooooo!!!

8. Joseph Felix says:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. What the hell am I supposed to do with this Troy & Abed In The Morning mug when it’s just Abed In The Morning?

10. And so it begins. I have a feeling that this is the first of many actors who won’t be full time on the show and will just eventually leave. Here’s hoping this is the final season and that it just ends without letting the show fall further into mediocrity.

11. T.t says:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo

12. Ashley says:

He hasn’t been at any panels for ‘Community’ in a long time. It was starting to become obvious that he was tired of the show. Disappointing to fans that kept the show going and therefore, allowed him to build a career in music. Not cool, Donald. You could have waited.

• Nick C says:

implying he owes you something.

• Sg. Grant says:

A lot of people bought his music who otherwise wouldn’t have, just because he was on Community. He is a talented rapper, but he certainly has a much larger fanbase because of his role on the show.

• Topaz says:

Yes, but his success in his role on the show is down in large part to his performance (from the commentaries it’s clear he even comes up with a sizeable proportion of his jokes). We watch it because we want to, not to do him a favour.

13. D'Arcy says:

I freaking knew he didn’t enjoy it.

14. Whom says:

Weird to say its “Gambino-esque” when he is Childish Gambino.

15. Zach says:

Five episodes, huh? Maybe I’m crazy, but I have a theory.

A person who is on a show as a main cast member, can only make up to five appearances on another show (which is why Maggie Lawson will only be on 5 episodes of Psych this season). This very well might mean he will have a main role on another show (my guess, the upcoming FX series The Comedians).

• Ashley says:

A while ago there was talk he was developing a show with someone (can’t remember the station). Although not heard anything since.

• Zach says:

It was with NBC. They ordered a put pilot, and came very close to ordering an actual pilot, but it got passed on. I don’t think he was going to star in it though.

16. It’s a DOA show. Why NBC and Sony can’t hold actors and creators? Why everyone else does?

• Sorry. A mistake.
      Why everyone else can?

• Topaz says:

Afraid the grammar’s still wrong – I think you wanted to say “why can’t NBC and Sony hold actors and creators? Why can everyone else?”

I don’t agree with your point though – I still think this season has potential, but this is definitely a major kink in the works. Still, being on Community the last couple of years must have been pretty stressful. Most actors stick around on a TV show past their contractual obligation because they can’t guarantee they’ll have as good a job after they leave. Glover is obviously doing very well in his music career as well, and in the end he has to go with what feels right for him.

17. TV Gord says:

This is very sad news, but it’s a strong cast, and they wrote around Pierce’s absences well last year, so it’s not a complete Troygedy. I wish it were more than five episodes, though…

• TV Gord says:

After posting this, I realized that I’m sadder than I expressed. The idea of not having a regular dose of Troy and Abed in every episode is depressing.

• Rebecca Parker says:

Because Pierce was wildly unpopular. Troy is wildly popular. He’s also 1/2 of the core duo of the show. You can’t just have him missing.

• TV Gord says:

I’m sure they’ll find clever ways to write him out. I can see an entire episode where he just rounded a corner in the hallway or spent the whole show in bed with the covers over his head. There are ways around it. I have faith in the show. I’m not going to begrudge Glover following his passion, especially when this is likely to be the show’s final season.

• Ari says:

I actually liked Pierce and thought they did a terrible time writing around his absence. It could not have been more obvious that the people in charge of writing around him despised the character.

• Patrick says:

They hated the character because Chevy did to good a job of portraying it…you’re not supposed to like Pierce. Is this what being a good actor gets these days?

18. Pepper says:

I need help reacting to this.

19. Topaz says:

Oh wow, that’s really sad. Donald Glover is a phenomenal talent. He was hugely wasted last year, though. And I have no idea if that’s because he had already reduced his commitment or because the writers weren’t interested in his character. But damn, the episodes without him just won’t be the same.

20. Cruel…cruel, cruel, cruel.

21. Who made this decision: Donald Glover, “Community”, or NBC?

• ggny says:

it literally says Glover did it because he wants to devote more time to his music career. Seriously read the dam article before you react

• C says:

Read the article – Glover wanted more time off to focus on his music career and then Sony agreed b/c it saved them money.

• Marc says:

Unless that’s just spin and the it was really initiated by NBC and Sony to cut costs.

• Anthony says:

If you listened to his music you would know that he hasn’t really been passionate about the show.

“Paid for my house, but the show [Community] is not me”

22. Dillon says:

Well besides Chevy, he is my least favorite character on the show. It is unfortunate though because Abed is alone and it definately changes the dynamic of the show.

23. Drew says:

This sucks. Dumping Chevy was fine, but now we’re chipping away at the people who made the show fun to watch. I’m not sure how this will turn out.

Maybe we can get some scenes of Abed auditioning new potential co-hosts, Kelly Rippa style? But that joke would only be funny for so long. This isn’t sounding good for Community at all. Seems like we might get six seasons and a movie, but the movie will probably only have Chang in it.

24. Polly says:

c’mooooon!
    it’s the final season!
    do it for the fans man!
    T_T

• Rebecca Parker says:

That’s what makes me angriest. It’s half of a full season, and he couldn’t wait? My respect for Glover dropped exponentially.

25. Aprilcot says:

So we get Harmon back but lose Troy? I’m not sure how to feel about this timeline…

26. Steve F. says:

Not cool. Not cool-not cool-not cool.

27. M3rc Nate says:

I love his character, and like him (hes funny and smart and all that)…but this is disappointing. Im sure they will find a way to have him in the most important 5 episodes for his character (and the stories) but still it sucks. Especially because the writing has been on the wall, he has basically not shown up (too busy) for EVERYthing since his music career got big. He wasnt at Comic Con’s, Paley-Fests, etc.

28. Brooke says:

Aw man, the show won’t suffer for the loss of Pierce, but it WILL be missing its heart without Troy. I can’t begrudge Donald Glover at ALL though, unlike some disgruntled fans up above – I can’t imagine that the cast feels super secure right now with yet another reduced episode season and constant behind-the-scenes drama. I wouldn’t be surprised if all of them start keeping an eye on their other options.

• Tolita says:

There’s too much harshness towards the character of Pierce. He was an anti-hero yes but he brought his own special contribution to the alchemy. Like all the characters he was layered. It’s a great cast with a great chemistry. Any element that is missing will upset the balance, regardless of who it is. (Excuse the unintentional chemical puns).

29. Lulu says:

If you’ve heard his song “We Ain’t Them”, then it’s not really surprising. In it, he raps: “Back of my mind though, I hope the show gets cancelled Maybe then I can focus.” It still sucks though.

30. Matt says:

This is not ok and makes me lose respect for him. We all know this is going to be it for Community and we are lucky to be getting this. We really are lucky for what we have gotten. I don’t know. This just isn’t ok. I want to understand his side but I can’t.

31. Brian Nussbaum says:

what will happen to Troy and Abed in the Morning

32. JD says:

I guess it’s a good thing he didn’t get cast as Spider-Man. Wouldn’t want a trilogy of films to derail his music.

33. tp says:

The people that are saying they are disappointed in him and why couldn’t he wait….are you SERIOUS? A music career is not the same as acting. He has to strike while the iron is hot. Would you stay with a job that was shaky at best, while you have a chance to jump into your other career choice that is moving up the ladder quickly? As a fan, I can understand being disappointed the show won’t be the same but to be disappointed in him is utterly ridiculuos.

• Topaz says:

Actually it’s exactly the same as acting. I wouldn’t begrudge an actor leaving a show because they’d landed a major movie role with a great director. They’ve probably dreamt of doing that their whole life and these opportunities don’t come along more than once. This is no different. I mean, okay, we watch Community every week. We’re very emotionally attached to it and we emotionally invest in it doing well. So yeah, the people making the show shouldn’t be dicks to us. But Donald Glover has spent a lifetime building a career and improving his skills as a performer. He wrote for 30 Rock, he acted full time on a tv show for 4 years, all while building his musical career. He’s worked really hard. And what, we think because we tuned in once a week, bought the DVDs and talked about the show online that we have more of an entitlement to dictate his next career move than he does? That’s just crazy.

• I don’t see how not filming episodes months and months from now is striking while the iron is hot. That’s scheduling the iron for a heating up months and months from now. The show hasn’t exactly prevented him from doing music. If anything, it’s put his music on the damn map.

34. Rachael T says:

Guess who’s schedule is also free… Damon Wayans Jr – just sayin’

35. Nick says:

I wonder if a part of this has to do with Dan Harmon coming back…maybe Donald just didn’t want to focus all his time with the egomaniac, and decided to focus on something that will benefit him in the long run. I’ve heard people say that the cast was all for Harmon coming back, but you have to believe he ruffled some feathers.

• Topaz says:

Or maybe it’s just exactly what he said it is. He wants to get on with his music career. No doubt there were some negotiations with pay, but he obviously decided on balance that he was better off getting on with his music.

36. leahbh says:

I’d rather it be cancelled

37. Sarabi says:

NOOOOOOOOOO

38. JLK says:

Hmmm…trying to look in the bright side here…maybe they’ll explain Troy’s absence because the world needs “The Truest Repairman” to repair man. It’s such a ridiculous storyline, but I’ve always loved it. I think it could also be interesting to see Abed trying to cope with the loss of Troy to his higher calling.

39. Tiffany says:

But, no!!!

40. Joey says:

No! Sucks there won’t be much Troy and Abed in season 5.

41. The Boii says:

add chang to the study group

42. Laura says:

I don’t think “Community” can survive this loss. Must be said. They should’ve just cancelled it.

43. picklesjr says:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!!! But how will Abed survive?

44. Maria says:

He has been hinting this all through his songs. Not unexpected.

45. MJ says:

MY EMOTIONS!! MY EMOTIONS!!

46. Jay H. says:

Season 4; Troy in every episode > Season 5; Dan Harmon returns.

47. Ruby says:

This sucks in every way.

48. Leah says:

Nope. I’m out. This is too much.

49. Efe says:

Troy and Pierce are my least favorite characters so I’ll be fine. But it will still be strange when there’s only 5 of them. Can they just get rid of Chang too while they are at it? It should just be about Dean-Jeff-Britta-Annie-Shirley & Abed.