Memories From the Set: Parks' Adam Scott Reminisces About Boy Meets World, ER and More

AdamScottPArksA new feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs

Up until fairly recently, Adam Scott lived a very dramatic life… on screen, at least.

The Parks and Recreation star — who nowadays is known for his memorable comedic turns in projects like Party Down, Step Brothers and the Web series-turned-E! hit Burning Love – was once, for lack of a better term, quite the drama king.

From crippling injuries on ER to unexpectedly career-defining roles on short-lived sudsers like Wasteland to unrequited love on Six Feet Under, the early ’90s section of Scott’s resume is filled with heart-wrenching performances. It wasn’t until the late 2000s that Scott found his groove as a go-to guy for all things funny.

RELATED | Adam Scott Breaks Down the Art of Parks and Rec Romance, Ben’s Geek Affinity

At TVLine’s request, Scott offered up behind-the-scenes insights on an abundance of his pre-Parks performances. Click through the gallery below to read what he has to say about being creepy on Veronica Mars and crushing on Neve Campbell on Party of Five, among other jobs, then sound off in the comments!

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Interviews, Memories From the Set, Photo Gallery

1. Josh says:

Awesome article, though Adam’s remembering his part wrong for Veronica Mars. He had an affair with Susan Knight(Christine Lankin) and not Carrie Bishop(Meester). But Adam Scott is awesome, so it’s okay.

2. Joe says:

This is a great idea, I look forward to more of these

3. Leah says:

I really only knew of him from Party Down and Step Brothers before Parks. I had no idea he did so much stuff!

4. Tomasawakadoodledo says:

I first saw Adam in Boy Meets World, and liked his character in the show. Years later I saw him in Veronica Mars, and around then, he just happened to start popping up in various things I saw (though not in chronological order of how he did them!).

5. Jake says:

I loved wasteland. Still wish there was somewhere to watch the episodes that never aired.

6. Jamie says:

Great idea for a segment! I look forward to seeing more. I had no idea I had seen him in 3 of my favorite shows before.

7. Midori says:

He would have been amazing on Wonderfalls.

• J says:

He would have, but his stepping away gave the world Lee Pace in the Bryan Fuller-verse. Amazing how disappointments like that have chain reactions.

Think about if he had been cast as Jim on The Office, too!

8. cjeffery7 says:

adam scott is 40 years old?!!!? his face is such a man-child!!!

9. Joey says:

Great segment. I remember Adam from Step Brothers and Party Down before Parks and Rec. it’s great he got to be on some great shows early on in his career.

10. Elizabeth says:

I love Adam Scott and believe he is incredibly talented. Thankfully he found Parks and Recreation which has give him exposure and the ability to show his range. It also looks like he has really found his element in the comedy arena over the last five years and I am so happy about that! Everyone should know Adam Scott!

Love the segment idea!

11. ER says:

I personally think that Ben Scott’s his best role (and I’ve seen most of the work he’s done), but it’s so great to take a trip through memory lane. I wish he could have talked about auditioning for The Office (for Jim) – that would have been the most interesting to me!

12. Steven says:

I love this new feature and I love Adam so much.

13. Ryan says:

I’ve only ever seen him as Ben Scott and in The Greatest Event in Television History.

Though I will also always remember him as the helmsman of the Defiant in Star Trek: First Contact.

• Drew says:

He was in First Contact?! I know that they originally had Jadzia in the script, but then they realized that they couldn’t fit her into the rest of the movie. If he was the helmsman on the Defiant, they probably gave him Terry Ferrell’s role. :)

14. liz says:

Whenever I see him in something my first response is, ‘oh! Its the guy who played the creepy teacher on VM’ lol.

15. Ben says:

He is so fine in that BMW screencap

16. Master_K says:

Is it sad that I’ve only seen him in boy meets world and (I think) Piranha?

17. Liz says:

Party of Five! So that’s where I saw him, I couldn’t remember…

18. Msi says:

He’s not the only one who misses Party Down!

19. Caiclow says:

Loved him in Boy Meets World back in the day, but Ben Wyatt is the ultimate character. Parks and Rec has become even more amazing because of the amazing chemistry he has with so many of the other actors. Plus, who doesn’t love the crying batman scene? all him.

20. Alia says:

I have to admit that, until he showed up on Parks & Rec, my reaction every time I saw Adam Scott in anything was “hey, it’s Griff from Boy Meets World!” It cracks me up that he never got recognized for that. I loved him as Griff, and I love him on Parks. I’m so glad his and Rob Lowe’s characters got to stick around. (-:

21. dinosaur! says:

LOL, I’ve never forgiven him for calling Boy Meets World an “insignificant” little show in another interview. How dare he! Monster!
    Though he did say he had a horrible time behind-the-scenes, so I guess he’s allowed to say things like that.

22. MandaJ says:

What a fun thing to do in the summer! Keep the stories coming. Who’s next?

• Melissa says:

I agree! It’s always fun to hear/read about how actors/actresses remember and feel about their past roles. Keep ‘em coming!!

23. Smigglesby says:

If you’re going to do this column (which is a clear AV Club Random Roles rip off, not that that’s a bad thing) you could at least strive to have more than a sentence or two per picture. It’s supposed to be an interview not a gallery of pics from th