Memories From the Set: Parks' Adam Scott Reminisces About Boy Meets World, ER and More

AdamScottPArksA new feature in which we ask your favorite stars to reminisce about past gigs

Up until fairly recently, Adam Scott lived a very dramatic life… on screen, at least.

The Parks and Recreation star — who nowadays is known for his memorable comedic turns in projects like Party Down, Step Brothers and the Web series-turned-E! hit Burning Love – was once, for lack of a better term, quite the drama king.

From crippling injuries on ER to unexpectedly career-defining roles on short-lived sudsers like Wasteland to unrequited love on Six Feet Under, the early ’90s section of Scott’s resume is filled with heart-wrenching performances. It wasn’t until the late 2000s that Scott found his groove as a go-to guy for all things funny.

RELATED | Adam Scott Breaks Down the Art of Parks and Rec Romance, Ben’s Geek Affinity

At TVLine’s request, Scott offered up behind-the-scenes insights on an abundance of his pre-Parks performances. Click through the gallery below to read what he has to say about being creepy on Veronica Mars and crushing on Neve Campbell on Party of Five, among other jobs, then sound off in the comments!

Comments (36)

• Awesome article, though Adam’s remembering his part wrong for Veronica Mars. He had an affair with Susan Knight(Christine Lankin) and not Carrie Bishop(Meester). But Adam Scott is awesome, so it’s okay.

Comment by Josh – July 5, 2013 04:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I was actually about to comment on this too haha

Comment by Maris – July 5, 2013 05:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • me three! I love him. Especially Party Down. What a great show…another one gone too soon.

Comment by Liza180 – July 5, 2013 05:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Haaa, I noticed that too!

Comment by jaclyn-kate – July 5, 2013 05:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • he remembered right up until the end of the episode reveal he was believed and implied to of had the affair with leighton meesters carrie bishop

Comment by amichelle – July 5, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think he was just paraphrasing the storyline. Also, Leighton Meester is better known and he probably just wanted to drop in the fact they worked together before their careers blew up.

Comment by dude – July 5, 2013 09:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Spoiler alert!!!
      jk

Comment by Dick Whitman – July 5, 2013 11:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is a great idea, I look forward to more of these

Comment by Joe – July 5, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • seconded!

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 5, 2013 08:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Agreed! Great idea for future articles! Lauren Graham or Monica Potter at some point would be pretty awesome

Comment by schu – July 6, 2013 06:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really only knew of him from Party Down and Step Brothers before Parks. I had no idea he did so much stuff!

Comment by Leah – July 5, 2013 05:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I first saw Adam in Boy Meets World, and liked his character in the show. Years later I saw him in Veronica Mars, and around then, he just happened to start popping up in various things I saw (though not in chronological order of how he did them!).

Comment by Tomasawakadoodledo – July 5, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I loved wasteland. Still wish there was somewhere to watch the episodes that never aired.

Comment by Jake – July 5, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great idea for a segment! I look forward to seeing more. I had no idea I had seen him in 3 of my favorite shows before.

Comment by Jamie – July 5, 2013 06:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He would have been amazing on Wonderfalls.

Comment by Midori – July 5, 2013 06:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He would have, but his stepping away gave the world Lee Pace in the Bryan Fuller-verse. Amazing how disappointments like that have chain reactions.

Think about if he had been cast as Jim on The Office, too!

Comment by J – July 6, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • adam scott is 40 years old?!!!? his face is such a man-child!!!

Comment by cjeffery7 – July 5, 2013 07:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • So is Ashton Kutcher’s. Wait until he’s 40.

Comment by steven – July 6, 2013 09:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s an odd-looking little munchkin man, isn’t he?

Comment by Miffy – July 8, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great segment. I remember Adam from Step Brothers and Party Down before Parks and Rec. it’s great he got to be on some great shows early on in his career.

Comment by Joey – July 5, 2013 08:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Adam Scott and believe he is incredibly talented. Thankfully he found Parks and Recreation which has give him exposure and the ability to show his range. It also looks like he has really found his element in the comedy arena over the last five years and I am so happy about that! Everyone should know Adam Scott!

Love the segment idea!

Comment by Elizabeth – July 5, 2013 08:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally think that Ben Scott’s his best role (and I’ve seen most of the work he’s done), but it’s so great to take a trip through memory lane. I wish he could have talked about auditioning for The Office (for Jim) – that would have been the most interesting to me!

Comment by ER – July 5, 2013 08:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love this new feature and I love Adam so much.

Comment by Steven – July 5, 2013 08:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve only ever seen him as Ben Scott and in The Greatest Event in Television History.

Though I will also always remember him as the helmsman of the Defiant in Star Trek: First Contact.

Comment by Ryan – July 5, 2013 08:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He was in First Contact?! I know that they originally had Jadzia in the script, but then they realized that they couldn’t fit her into the rest of the movie. If he was the helmsman on the Defiant, they probably gave him Terry Ferrell’s role. :)

Comment by Drew – July 6, 2013 07:39 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Whenever I see him in something my first response is, ‘oh! Its the guy who played the creepy teacher on VM’ lol.

Comment by liz – July 5, 2013 08:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He is so fine in that BMW screencap

Comment by Ben – July 5, 2013 09:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is it sad that I’ve only seen him in boy meets world and (I think) Piranha?

Comment by Master_K – July 5, 2013 11:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Party of Five! So that’s where I saw him, I couldn’t remember…

Comment by Liz – July 6, 2013 02:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s not the only one who misses Party Down!

Comment by Msi – July 6, 2013 05:10 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved him in Boy Meets World back in the day, but Ben Wyatt is the ultimate character. Parks and Rec has become even more amazing because of the amazing chemistry he has with so many of the other actors. Plus, who doesn’t love the crying batman scene? all him.

Comment by Caiclow – July 6, 2013 05:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have to admit that, until he showed up on Parks & Rec, my reaction every time I saw Adam Scott in anything was “hey, it’s Griff from Boy Meets World!” It cracks me up that he never got recognized for that. I loved him as Griff, and I love him on Parks. I’m so glad his and Rob Lowe’s characters got to stick around. (-:

Comment by Alia – July 6, 2013 09:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • LOL, I’ve never forgiven him for calling Boy Meets World an “insignificant” little show in another interview. How dare he! Monster!
    Though he did say he had a horrible time behind-the-scenes, so I guess he’s allowed to say things like that.

Comment by dinosaur! – July 6, 2013 09:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a fun thing to do in the summer! Keep the stories coming. Who’s next?

Comment by MandaJ – July 6, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree! It’s always fun to hear/read about how actors/actresses remember and feel about their past roles. Keep ‘em coming!!

Comment by Melissa – July 7, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If you’re going to do this column (which is a clear AV Club Random Roles rip off, not that that’s a bad thing) you could at least strive to have more than a sentence or two per picture. It’s supposed to be an interview not a gallery of pics from th

Comment by Smigglesby – July 7, 2013 11:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post