Exclusive

Criminal Minds Exclusive: Camryn Manheim Booked for Two-Part Season 9 Premiere

Criminal Minds Casts Camryn Manheim Ghost Whisperer vet Camryn Manheim is heading back to CBS this fall via Criminal Minds, TVLine has learned exclusively.

The actress — whose tube credits also include ABC’s The Practice and, more recently, NBC’s Harry’s Law — will play the mother of an UnSub in the procedural’s two-part Season 9 premiere.

RELATED | Criminal Minds Renewed for Season 9 — But Who’s Returning?

Manheim’s character is very protective and watchful over her son, whom she knows has some serious emotional problems (killing women who look like his ex-girlfriend, among them).

Rumor has it mom is carrying around some deep, dark family secrets of her own.

Minds kicks off Season 9 on Wednesday, Sept. 25 at 9/8c.

1. Bethan says:

Interesting casting, especially as Manheim will be playing an unsub, never really seen her in that kind of role before.

I hope the season 9 two-parter is going to start the season with a bang. I don’t think there’s been a CM two part opener before, so I wonder how it’s going to set the tone for the season (hopefully not too unsub centric although with the casting and blurb it sounds as though the unsubs are going tone heavily featured).

2. Camryn Manheim better have her own TV show sometime in the near future.

3. KenBud says:

Just hope they do better this season than last. That “replicator” storyline was weak beyond words. We learned about him in Episode 1 or 2, lost him for 6 or 7 episodes, then found him again in 8 … then never heard about him again until the end. It had SO much potential, and it wasn’t executed well at all.

• Popeye says:

Actually, viewers hate when recurring story lines are constantly reappearing throughout a season. Just ask fans of The Mentalist who are tired of Red John. And ask Bones fans about Pelant.

• Alan says:

it worked perfectly fine for me. it meant the episodic plots werent dragged down by superfluous connections to the replicator case and there wasnt a ridiculous amount of episodes where something connected to the replicator did happen and we learned nothing. its better in my opinion to just do a few short teases near the start of a season, then a big episode in the middle of the season followed by the finale wrapping it up.

• Giag says:

I totally agree. It seems the show has been slipping for the past 2 seasons for me. I always looked forward to the next week’s episode, but now I’m not that entertained, it’s more gore factor now rather than interesting stories to go with it

• Stephie says:

you talking mess, it was great. If they had concentrated heavily on the replicator it would have killed the entire season.

4. vighorois says:

Surprisingly, she’s not yet guest-starred in Drop Dead Diva. I mean, her role in the Practice is like a more serious prototype, without the back-to-life thing. She could’ve played Brooke Elliott’s aunt or sister or something.

• Steven says:

I’ve been saying this for years. A crossover between the Practice and DDD would make me such a happy legal nerd.

5. freidag says:

Great! Let’s make it all about the Unsub. Again. Stunt casting sucks on this show.

• dee123 says:

How is this stunt casting? This isn’t SUV. She’s a very underrated actress actually.

• Alan says:

making it all about the unsub is great. we get to see what has driven them to kill, which is good for a show that deals with the psychology behind killing, and we dont get the same boring formula that every other crime show ever uses.

6. Will the premiere run as a two-hour or one part in one week and the other the next???

7. Carolyn Finley says:

Criminal Minds and NCIS are best shows, bar none, on TV; though Criminal minds does too many repeats during a reg season.\

8. CB says:

Yeah!!!! I love Cameryn Manheim! Terrific actress and she DOES deserve her own show. She has such a wide fund of skills, being able to play funny, serious, and everything in between. Can’t wait to see this opener!

9. Dixie says:

What great news! I adore Camryn Manheim. She excels in every project she undertakes. This truly makes up for hiring Bellamy Young as Hotch’s dullard of a girlfriend. I adore BY too, but she just doesn’t cut it on CM – no chemistry with TG. I hope the audience isn’t judging the incredibly talented Ms. Young by her performance on this series. I have an idea. Let Beth (BY) resemble the unsub’s ex-girlfriend. She can be killed/eliminated and the writers can put this “love interest” nonsense to rest. OR, at least find another actress who plays well off of TG. IMO – Hotch and Jack deserve the best.

10. Name says:

I hate this bitch!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Emily says:

Omg! I like her in ghost whisperer! I just wish they’ll bring emily prentiss back! I miss her! And i hate beth clemmons!

• Dixie says:

I agree. She was fabulous on Ghost Whisperer. Did you see her on Harry’s Law? She was super on that short-lived series as well. I knew I wasn’t the only one who thought Beth was a disaster. Blake is also a waste of screen time. Bellamy Young (Beth) and Jeanne Tripplehorn (Blake) are wonderful actresses, but their performances on CM are lackluster to say the least. Kudos to the writers for bringing in Camryn Manheim; now let’s stop the bleeding and bring in a decent love interest (if you insist) for Hotch.

12. Karen says:

I’m so glad to know I’m not the only one that wants Prentiss back!!! I don’t care for Blake or the actress portraying her. I was watching the show faithfully but found myself missing some episodes just because I can’t stand to watch the character Blake. As far as Hotch’s love interest goes she’s okay but I would have thought they would have picked someone a little different.

13. MLC says:

Loved the opening – very good twist at the end – can’t wait for next week’s part 2.