TVLine Items: Jewel to Judge The Sing-Off, Ugly Betty Vet Toplines Hallmark Pilot and More

The Sing-Off Jewel JudgeA Grammy-nominated songstress has joined The Sing-Off.

Jewel has been tapped to replace Sara Bareilles as judge during the NBC a cappella competition’s winter cycle.

The recording artist — who also judged Bravo’s short-lived songwriting series Platinum Hit — will advise contestants alongside returning judges Shawn Stockman and Ben Folds. Nick Lachey is also slated to return as host.

Ready for more of today’s dish? Well…

• Ugly Betty alum Eric Mabius has landed the lead role in Dead Letters, a movie of the week/backdoor pilot for Hallmark Channel. Per The Hollywood Reporter, the project centers on a group of postal detectives who deliver letters from the past. Letters premieres Oct. 12.

• Showtime has given the green light to a documentary titled Knock Knock, It’s Tig Notaro. The project will follow comedienne Tig Notaro as she travels across the country, putting on private comedy performances for her fans.

Saved By the Bell is headed back to school — kind of. NBCUniversal has teamed with Lion Forge Comics for a line of digital comics based on the ’90s fave; former hits Airwolf, Knight Rider, Miami Vice and Punky Brewster will get the comic treatment, as well.

• NBC is developing a new sketch-comedy series with former Comedy Central exec Lou Wallach attached to executive produce, per The Hollywood Reporter.

• Patch Darragh (Mercy) will guest-star on an upcoming installment of Royal Pains, TVGuide.com reports, playing a Hamptons-based florist treated by HankMed.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

Comments (11)

• Don’t know how Jewel will fare as a judge in the upcoming season of The Sing-Off on NBC (fingers crossed).

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – July 2, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • After Sara Bareilles, she’s got some big shoes to fill. (Hope she’s better than Nicole Schezinger, though.)

Comment by Steve F. – July 2, 2013 02:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I feel like Jewel will know what she’s talking about, but I hope she brings some personality too!

Comment by Fabe – July 2, 2013 02:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man, love me some Jewel, but I for one will miss Sara B! :(

Comment by grace2552 – July 2, 2013 02:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m just glad we get Ben Folds back. I don’t really care who the other judges are.

Comment by Timmah – July 2, 2013 03:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Good for Tig “I got a ham” Notaro…Happy Birthday Dan! (Professor Blastoff shout out)

Comment by Guest – July 2, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Aw man, I’m sad Bareillis won’t be back, loved her so! At least we get to keep Ben, but Jewel has got a lot to live up to.

Comment by J – July 2, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will really miss Sara Bareillis. I thought she was a great judge. But, as others have said, Ben Folds will still be there and he’s great too. I’m just happy the show is coming back.

Comment by Mellie – July 3, 2013 07:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Am I the only one who actually watched Bravo’s song-writing competition show? She was very robotic on that and didn’t show much personality.

Comment by sheri – July 3, 2013 09:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hell, I’m just glad they are bringing that great show back since they DID cancel it.

Comment by Paul – July 3, 2013 12:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post