Exclusive

Exclusive: The Good Wife Retains Ben Rappaport to Play Alicia and Cary's 'New' [Spoiler]

The Good Wife Season 5 Ben RappaportIs Florrick, Agos & Associates* big enough for two Carys?

The Good Wife has tapped Outsourced alum Ben Rappaport to join the Season 5 cast as one of the fourth-year attorneys at Lockhart-Gardner branching off with Alicia (Julianna Margulies) and Cary (Matt Czuchry), TVLine has learned exclusively

His recurring character’s tentative name? Carey. (Series creators Robert and Michelle King are up to something! Not sure what, but it’s something!)

RELATED | The Good Wife Season 5: [Spoiler] Promoted to Series Regular

Rappaport’s Carey with an “e” is described as smart, confident and occasionally over-anxious.

The actor — whose recent TV gigs have included Elementary and ABC’s ill-fated comedy pilot Awesometown — joins fellow Season 5 newbies Melissa George (as Peter’s in-house ethics czar) and Juliet Ralance (as a love interest for Kalinda).

The Good Wife kicks off its fifth season on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

* Unofficial company name

1. Lucy says:

Love interest for Kalinda and mockery for Cary. Good.

2. Dee says:

Change the name please. They must be up to something but there is one and only one Cary and his last name is Agos.

3. sara says:

The name is good for only one joke and one misunderstanding and then it’s run its course. I’ve already rolled my eyes several times.

• Hurding Katz says:

Not if they go through with casting Carrie, the female 4th-year who stays at Lockhart/Gardner.

• Marc says:

I’m just glad that a television show is reflecting reality and having two people in an office with the same (or almost the same) first name. I can’t think of one place I’ve worked where the boss said, “I really think Anne is the best candidate for the job but we already have Ann working here.” I guess the studios think audiences are too stupid to follow.

4. sccates says:

So anxious to see what the writer’s have up their sleeves! Intriguing!

5. glen says:

So is the Hunted cancelled..Liked that show

6. Dizzle says:

Season 4 just ended over here and cannot wait until January for Season 5. All these casting announcements just whet the appetite even more! So excited for what they have up their sleeves (although I fear Melissa George will end up the Lauren Reed once again, splitting up a popular central couple)

• Steven says:

Are Peter and Alicia really popular? He’s cheated on her before. Plus she has so much more chemistry with Will.

• Dizzle says:

I have actually really enjoyed Peter and Alicia’s rekindling over seasons 3 and 4. I think they’ve done a cracking job rehabbing Peter as a character to the point I would believe Alicia would pick him over Will. Maybe that’s just me! I sorta guess that Alicia/Will is endgame so a Florrick split is inevitable I suppose…. I just don’t think Melissa George will do herself any favours playing yet another home wrecker!

• rowan77 says:

Peter hasn’t cheated on Alicia since before the pilot and has been faithful since the pilot. It’s been four years already – and they’ve been sleeping together for the past two. I think Peter has proven he’s being faithful.

And as much as I enjoy Will and Alicia, he hasn’t always been a prince to her.

• Leave Comments says:

I agree. I actually find Will to be a real a-hole character. I do not like him. But I like his part in the show. I am never rooting for him and Alisha to be together.

• TGW Fan says:

I know, I really don’t get it either. W & A chemistry sometimes feels like it’s going to burst out of the TV! I do wish they have more scenes together this season and actually talk some more about their feelings for one another.

7. TV Gord says:

Cary and Carey will be fun to discuss on the message boards, where quite a few people can’t spell in the first place! :-D

• april-ann says:

LOL! I’m sure some folks on message boards will quickly come up with something instead of having to think about the spelling, and equally sure it won’t be terribly creative – I’m guessing something like “C1 and C2″. That, or there will just be many “misunderstandings”, “corrections” and “oopses”. Fans of Cary may just say “Cary” and refer to Carey as “whatshisname”. We’ll see but I agree it will be fun!

8. justin121 says:

Any chance The Good Wife wins the Emmy this year?

It was so good I can’t imagine anything beating it, especially now that Mad Men has been dethroned and Homeland isn’t getting close to the praise that allowed its first season to end Mad Men’s streak.

I repeat, this season of TGW was phenomenal. Hope it sweeps.

9. april-ann says:

He’s cuuute! I’m ready for two Car(e)ys. Sounds like fun.

10. aries says:

Um, just call the new guy by the last name and there would be no confusion. Is there REALLY a joke/point to making him the same first name as Cary?

11. Pat says:

Well, at least now we know what Kings meant when they said that season 5 is going to be the year of Cary. It couldn’t obviously mean that they’ll finally put him in the spotlight with a storyline about him and won’t just use him like a plot device or Kalinda’s pastime when she’s not busy with her multiple love interests. They just meant that season 5 is going to be the year of the CaryS. With and without an “E”.

12. redjane12 says:

I love TGW and I would keep watching even if, say, Peter knocks up Alicia again (unlikely but that’s a worst case scenario) but why call a character Carey when there is already THE Cary Agos? The pun’s going to get old real soon… Though since TGW tends to have some of the best writing on TV I guess there is perhaps a plan behind the apparent foolishness…

13. Kathryn says:

Love the good wife. Love all the characters, such a good show. Play on!

14. Impressive concerns totally, you just gained a logo design innovative audience. What exactly can you suggest regarding your set up that you just created a few days during the past? Just about any a number of?