Fall TV Preview

Exclusive: The Good Wife Retains Ben Rappaport to Play Alicia and Cary's 'New' [Spoiler]

The Good Wife Season 5 Ben RappaportIs Florrick, Agos & Associates* big enough for two Carys?

The Good Wife has tapped Outsourced alum Ben Rappaport to join the Season 5 cast as one of the fourth-year attorneys at Lockhart-Gardner branching off with Alicia (Julianna Margulies) and Cary (Matt Czuchry), TVLine has learned exclusively

His recurring character’s tentative name? Carey. (Series creators Robert and Michelle King are up to something! Not sure what, but it’s something!)

RELATED | The Good Wife Season 5: [Spoiler] Promoted to Series Regular

Rappaport’s Carey with an “e” is described as smart, confident and occasionally over-anxious.

The actor — whose recent TV gigs have included Elementary and ABC’s ill-fated comedy pilot Awesometown — joins fellow Season 5 newbies Melissa George (as Peter’s in-house ethics czar) and Juliet Ralance (as a love interest for Kalinda).

The Good Wife kicks off its fifth season on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

* Unofficial company name

Comments (24)

• Love interest for Kalinda and mockery for Cary. Good.

Comment by Lucy – July 1, 2013 12:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Juliet Ralance’s character is a love interest for Kalinda.

Comment by Loz – July 1, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Change the name please. They must be up to something but there is one and only one Cary and his last name is Agos.

Comment by Dee – July 1, 2013 12:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The name is good for only one joke and one misunderstanding and then it’s run its course. I’ve already rolled my eyes several times.

Comment by sara – July 1, 2013 12:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Not if they go through with casting Carrie, the female 4th-year who stays at Lockhart/Gardner.

Comment by Hurding Katz – July 1, 2013 05:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I’m just glad that a television show is reflecting reality and having two people in an office with the same (or almost the same) first name. I can’t think of one place I’ve worked where the boss said, “I really think Anne is the best candidate for the job but we already have Ann working here.” I guess the studios think audiences are too stupid to follow.

Comment by Marc – July 1, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So anxious to see what the writer’s have up their sleeves! Intriguing!

Comment by sccates – July 1, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So is the Hunted cancelled..Liked that show

Comment by glen – July 1, 2013 01:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 4 just ended over here and cannot wait until January for Season 5. All these casting announcements just whet the appetite even more! So excited for what they have up their sleeves (although I fear Melissa George will end up the Lauren Reed once again, splitting up a popular central couple)

Comment by Dizzle – July 1, 2013 01:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Are Peter and Alicia really popular? He’s cheated on her before. Plus she has so much more chemistry with Will.

Comment by Steven – July 1, 2013 01:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I have actually really enjoyed Peter and Alicia’s rekindling over seasons 3 and 4. I think they’ve done a cracking job rehabbing Peter as a character to the point I would believe Alicia would pick him over Will. Maybe that’s just me! I sorta guess that Alicia/Will is endgame so a Florrick split is inevitable I suppose…. I just don’t think Melissa George will do herself any favours playing yet another home wrecker!

Comment by Dizzle – July 1, 2013 02:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Peter hasn’t cheated on Alicia since before the pilot and has been faithful since the pilot. It’s been four years already – and they’ve been sleeping together for the past two. I think Peter has proven he’s being faithful.

And as much as I enjoy Will and Alicia, he hasn’t always been a prince to her.

Comment by rowan77 – July 1, 2013 05:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I agree. I actually find Will to be a real a-hole character. I do not like him. But I like his part in the show. I am never rooting for him and Alisha to be together.

Comment by Leave Comments – July 4, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I know, I really don’t get it either. W & A chemistry sometimes feels like it’s going to burst out of the TV! I do wish they have more scenes together this season and actually talk some more about their feelings for one another.

Comment by TGW Fan – July 26, 2013 11:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Cary and Carey will be fun to discuss on the message boards, where quite a few people can’t spell in the first place! :-D

Comment by TV Gord – July 1, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LOL! I’m sure some folks on message boards will quickly come up with something instead of having to think about the spelling, and equally sure it won’t be terribly creative – I’m guessing something like “C1 and C2″. That, or there will just be many “misunderstandings”, “corrections” and “oopses”. Fans of Cary may just say “Cary” and refer to Carey as “whatshisname”. We’ll see but I agree it will be fun!

Comment by april-ann – July 1, 2013 06:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Any chance The Good Wife wins the Emmy this year?

It was so good I can’t imagine anything beating it, especially now that Mad Men has been dethroned and Homeland isn’t getting close to the praise that allowed its first season to end Mad Men’s streak.

I repeat, this season of TGW was phenomenal. Hope it sweeps.

Comment by justin121 – July 1, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He’s cuuute! I’m ready for two Car(e)ys. Sounds like fun.

Comment by april-ann – July 1, 2013 06:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Um, just call the new guy by the last name and there would be no confusion. Is there REALLY a joke/point to making him the same first name as Cary?

Comment by aries – July 2, 2013 12:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, at least now we know what Kings meant when they said that season 5 is going to be the year of Cary. It couldn’t obviously mean that they’ll finally put him in the spotlight with a storyline about him and won’t just use him like a plot device or Kalinda’s pastime when she’s not busy with her multiple love interests. They just meant that season 5 is going to be the year of the CaryS. With and without an “E”.

Comment by Pat – July 2, 2013 01:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love TGW and I would keep watching even if, say, Peter knocks up Alicia again (unlikely but that’s a worst case scenario) but why call a character Carey when there is already THE Cary Agos? The pun’s going to get old real soon… Though since TGW tends to have some of the best writing on TV I guess there is perhaps a plan behind the apparent foolishness…

Comment by redjane12 – July 2, 2013 03:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the good wife. Love all the characters, such a good show. Play on!

Comment by Kathryn – July 4, 2013 08:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Impressive concerns totally, you just gained a logo design innovative audience. What exactly can you suggest regarding your set up that you just created a few days during the past? Just about any a number of?

Comment by eticaret paketleri – March 26, 2014 12:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post