Ratings: Ray Donovan Premiere Sets Showtime Record, Dexter Returns Strong

Get More: Premieres, Ratings

Ratings Ray Donovan Premiere Dexter Season 8Well, here’s one thing that doesn’t need “fixing” — the ratings for Ray Donovan, which on Sunday night premiered to 1.35 million total viewers, eclipsing Homeland (1.08 mil) as Showtime’s most watched original series launch ever.

RELATED | Premiere Poll: You Fixin’ to Stick With Showtime’s Ray Donovan?

Other previous Showtime’s premiere audiences include Shameless‘ 982,000 total viewers and The Borgias‘ 1.06 mil.

RELATED | Dexter Post Mortem: EP Talks ‘Extremely Vulnerable’ Dex, Dr. Vogel’s Agenda

Setting the table for Ray Donovan was Dexter‘s final season opener, which drew 2.5 million viewers — the show’s largest premiere audience ever (besting last fall’s 2.4 mil), yet down 11 percent from the Season 7 finale (2.8 mil).

RELATED | Sunday Broadcast Ratings: Big Brother Down But Tops Night, More Viewers Storm Dome

Including replays, Dexter‘s return amasssed 3.2 mil — again, up from the Season 7 premiere’s 3.0 mil but down from the finale’s 3.4 mil.

Comments (7)

• Dexter was awesome! My cousin (whose taste in television shows I trust implicitly) talked me into trying Ray Donovan out. I rarely start watching a series until after it’s been out a year. It wasn’t bad. I liked it. I’m not sure I’m at the “in love” stage yet, but I’m willing to stick with it. And hey, who’s always had a crush on Liev Schreiber? [Points thumbs at self]. This girl.

Comment by Britta Unfiltered – July 1, 2013 01:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I haven’t seen much about The Killing’s numbers. Any chance for another season? This season has been excellent.

Comment by Sarah – July 1, 2013 01:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Killing’s ratings continue to be bad… it is a real shame for I agree it’s a darn good show now… but it’s impossible to grow an audience on a highly serialized show unless there’s huge buzz which unfortunately there isn’t this… I guess we should enjoy the fact that they were able to redeem themselves in some people’s eyes ( not mine since I liked the 2 season storytelling)…. This was a Netflix saved show anyway that AMC agreed to pick up..

Comment by drhenning – July 2, 2013 12:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I rather rewatch Scandal than have another “fixer” show.

Comment by Midori – July 1, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Please list all the “fixer” shows that have worn you out.

Comment by filmex2000 – July 1, 2013 11:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love leiv shreiber so I’ll watch this

Comment by azu – July 6, 2013 09:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe Showtime thinks that Ray Donovan can replace Dexter. They are crazy to cancel Dexter. Even in its 8th season, it’s getting better ratings than this show, which features two movie stars. Showtime, please reconsider slashing Dexter.

Comment by Barb – July 7, 2013 02:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post