NBC Says Amen to Mark Burnett's Bible Sequel

NBC to Air Bible Sequel SeriesNBC’s prayers have been answered, emerging from a bidding war to lay claim to uberproducer Mark Burnett and his wife Roma Downey‘s follow-up to this spring’s wildly successful The Bible miniseries.

RELATED | Bible Producers: Satan/Obama Comparison Is ‘Total Nonsense, a Foolish Distraction’

“There was huge interest in this project within the television community,” NBC president Jennifer Salke said in a statement, “and NBC is gratified by Mark’s confidence in our ability to partner with him and position this miniseries as true event television.“

NBC chairman Robert Greenblatt added, “I followed the development process of The Bible [which aired on History] closely with Mark and knew that the story was far from over after Christ’s Crucifixion. In fact, what happened in the aftermath – which is essentially the beginning of Christianity – is utterly fascinating…. This will be attention-getting in every way.”

Here is the official logline for A.D.: Beyond the Bible (as it is tentatively titled). Warning: spoilers!

A.D.: Beyond the Bible begins in the dark days after Jesus’ betrayal and death. A perfect storm brews in the Holy Land, fueled by social injustice, Roman military oppression and religious unrest. High priests and the Herod dynasty vie for power. Zealot revolutionaries turn to violence to regain what they believe is their promised land. And in the face of terrible odds and brutal persecution, the small band of Jesus’ disciples stand against the combined might of Rome and their own local authorities. In a generation of rebellion, war, famine, and carnage, who can they trust? Who should they fear? Will tomorrow bring a violent death? For many, it does … but others survive, and as the storm around them breaks, the fate of Israel, of Rome and of their faith is decided.

The Bible premiered to more than 13 million viewers in March, and wrapped its 10-episode run on Easter Sunday. In its first week of home video release, it was the top-selling miniseries of all time and the No. 1 TV series on DVD and Blu-Ray in the past five years.

1. leigh says:

I Love that this has a warning for spoilers. I’m still smiling…

2. Midori says:

Warning for a 1,000 year old fairy tale.

• Philip says:

You may not believe in God or that Jesus is the son of God, but to call everything in the bible, especially the New Testament which is what this will be based on, a fairy tale is ridiculous, there’s plenty of other historical documents that backs up most of what is told in the New Testament.

• Dan says:

I believe Midori was referencing the supernatural elements of the Bible (hence the “fairy” in fairytale). You and I can both agree that there are no historical documents that back up the miraculous and supernatural events in the Bible.

• Drew says:

Actually, that isn’t quite so. There are several Biblical stories which were considered impossible, and then archaeologists found evidence. Science that we take for granted today would have had us drowned in a river a few centuries ago.

Whatever you believe in, it will require some amount of faith. To belittle someone else’s beliefs just because you don’t share them is arrogant and naive.

• Midori says:

Fairy tale in the dictionary….

a story involving fantastic forces and beings.

The Bible doesn’t have any of that? Have you ever read it? I

• Drew says:

So, an book with fantastic forces or beings is a fairy tale? Like, say… a book describing the magical transformation of one species into another?

• Ben says:

It doesn’t matter who you are or why you say it, calling the bible a fairytale is, to me, no different from using a n-word for a black person, or the f-word for a gay person, etc etc. It’s an in vogue, but deliberately incendiary, attack on Christian beliefs by people who don’t share them, and we should all rise up against that kind of intolerance.

• Drew says:

Like.

• Dan says:

Look, I’m Jewish. I celebrate all the Jewish holidays (most of which are taken directly from the Bible), and I hold the belief that we have no right to say what did or did not happen. For all we know, Moses did part the sea, Jesus truly was the son of God, Muhammad was a prophet, and the woman was created from a man’s ribs. It is not up to us to say whether it happened or not, because we weren’t there. Now, while Midori’s comment was a bit extreme, I do not believe we have factual evidence that people truly came back from the dead, which makes it, whether you like it or not, a tale. I’m not saying it didn’t happen, I’m simply saying that the supernatural happenings (rising from the dead, splitting the sea, turning a stick to a snake) have not been proven to be true. If people believe in it, all the power to them. That is all.

• Drew says:

Fairy tales are stories that people don’t actually believe to be real. The Bible is something that people believe in, so it isn’t a fairy tale. Describing it as one is either just not proper or else it is intended to be offensive.

Also, I have seen pretty interesting studies into the parting of the Red Sea. But regardless, nobody denies that religion involves faith. But making fun of other people for having faith implies that your belief doesn’t require faith. Unless you have security video from the beginning of the universe, you have faith in something.

• Angela says:

Ummmmmm….no.
            I fully agree that non-Christians should be respectful towards Christians (and vice versa). But calling the Bible a book of “fairytales” isn’t even close to being on the level of insulting or hurtful that calling someone the “n” word or the “f” word is.
            People of the time period the Bible was written in liked to use a lot of metaphor and symbolism, and when they encountered events they didn’t understand (events which could be easily explained today with the advent of various studies and such), they came up with unique, grand, fantastical ways to describe those situations. And as stories got passed on through the generations, and new translations came along, the events and people would change, sort of like playing telephone.
            Taking the Bible 100% literally, word for word, has never made any sense to me. Given all the things I noted above, someone calling the Bible a book of “fairy tales” or “urban legends” would not seem that far a stretch, and some people who use those comparisons don’t even mean it as an insult to begin with.

• Drew says:

By definition, the Bible is not a book of fairy tales. When people call it one, nine times out of ten, they’re trying to rub sh– in the faces of religious people.

As with other bigotted insults, it is meant to offend a specific group of people.

• Midori says:

Can you just rise up to heaven already with your rapture and leave the Earth to those who believe in science over a book written 800 years ago based on fair tales (yes they are fairy tales).

And funny you bring up the n word and the f sod because that in the Bible there is nothing saying that slavery is wrong. But god hates it when you love the same sex, and will kill you if you love any other god before him.

it’s not my fault you follow a religion full of hate, base on fairy tales.

• JTK_Forever says:

This must be the DUMBEST comment I’ve ever read…first, the bible is *not* a person *or* a race, therefore not racist in the slightest, and to compare these as if they are is like the ubiquitous apples & oranges..!! Second, people have the right to believe whatever they want…and likewise, other people have the right to make fun of what they might or might not believe in…you have to ‘respect’ people, but don’t have to respect their beliefs at all. (Example, if someone believes their wife should have anal sex with strangers, do you have to ‘automatically’ respect that? NO, and it’s the exact same thing with religious beliefs!)

• Drew says:

Midori, I’m not going to get into a game of “my faith is better than yours” because it’s kinda immature. But if you’re going to comment on something, please at least do so intelligently. Trying to school someone on a religion that you know nothing about just makes you look childish.

Nobody here is insulting you because of your faith in science (faith in men who you don’t know, who do research that you don’t understand, citing evidence that you never get to examine. There are different branches of “science” which often contradict each other, and unless something can be recreated it is only theory and not scientific fact so… tell me again how this is different) so why are you determined to insult people of a different faith? Is that bigotry I smell? Why, yes it is. So quit complaining about the Bible (which you obviously haven’t read) and worry about your own religion.

• Loud & Proud Christian says:

Amen! Christians need to take a stand for once and put a stop to the stereotypes, I for one am tired of being told by non-believers to sit down and shut up because they don’t want their feelings hurt or their beliefs trampled on….Well what about my feelings and my beliefs, I have just as much right to stand up for those things that are important to me as the next person. After all, we ARE all humans and all deserve respect, at the least.

• Bennita says:

amen – “my people shall perish for lack of knowledge” buddy, there is a hell and a heaven….do you know where you are going???????????????? Have you had spiritual experiences? Than sorry, I never swear but you deserve at the very least a SHUT THE F UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Life is eternal so I would do some research before you open your Evil infested mouth. I will never see you down there…..enjoy! Disgusting comments……….to all of you who have put christianity down without knowing A D THING!!!!!! Just your” theories”, ….we will see where they will get you.

• Jazza says:

Absolutely right Philip

• Mo says:

Um, that’s 2,000+ years, actually. And you might be surprised how many believers don’t know the stories of the Bible.

3. Beyond The Bible = should be Beyond The Old Testament

• BTM says:

From a Christian viewpoint, certainly, but my Jewish friends use the term to refer only to what I call the Old Testament. To them, that’s the Bible.

4. Et al. says:

I hope they get into the Mormon stuff. I want to see Zombie Jebus travel to North America and party with the Indians. Television gold, that will be!

• BTM says:

Maybe Part III will include the Apocrypha, too! Gospel According to St. Thomas, anyone?

• Britta Unfiltered says:

I’m not gonna lie, when I first heard the phrase “Bible sequel”, that is immediately where my mind went. I was raised in a Mormon family, so…..yeah…….

5. Steven says:

I’ll watch the Scientology installment.

6. The biggest “spoiler” is that this the first series NOT-”The Bible” made the holy and glorious Word of God…well, rotten…spoiled…as it was full of heresy and blasphemy. Yep, no better way to spoil something holy.

Unfortunately, I’ll have to watch this too, so I can test it with God’s Word rather than the tainted opinions of man.

7. Sg. Grant says:

The bible was just ahead of its time in terms of creativity. What is told today as a cool story for a zombie movie, 2000 years ago became a religion.

8. Godswarrior says:

The Bible is God breathed, meaning the people who wrote the bible were told what to write by our Lord and Savior. As far as no one being able to prove his resurrection, there were witnesses there who saw what had taken place and were told to spread the word. You can’t get any more proof than that. It is then recorded in the Bible. Watch the next Bible series on TV. It will be awesome!

9. Sabrina Weiss says:

BIBLE
    Basic
    Instructions
    Before
    Leaving Earth
    If you don’t believe in the bible then don’t waste your time posting insulting comments. I know I’m going to heaven. I’m happy & blessed beyond belief. Are you going to heaven? If you don’t know the answer to that you should definitely watch the show, get a bible or google John 3:16. May God bless you all. He’ll be back soon for his children.

10. omar says:

I think there will be some startling revelations at the end…..

11. I am wondering how many of you ever have the audacity to question the Koran. If you don't believe the bible faith , don't insult the faith. Christianity is based on love , that is why we don't force any one to accept Christ as Lord and Savior . says:

I am wondering how many of you ever have the audacity to question the Koran . Our God is a good and loving God. He taught to love that is why he sent he’s only begotten son to pay for our sins., including those who persecute him. Carnal mind can never comprehend the things of the spirit . My prayer is that the glorious light of the gospel Will shine /penetrate. the unbelieving minds. revealing the only truth that Will save the whole world, whether you like it or not!

12. SP says:

Oh my God. This “faith debate” is getting out of hand.

Once and for all begin to know True Knowledge.
    Yes, is Scientific.
    Yes, is Historical.
    Yes, Is Reality.

Source: SpiritWorldBlog
    “They don’t call it the Ultimate Evidence for God for nothing.”

• FAITH says:

Guys, that’s why it’s called “FAITH”.. Faith means BELIEVING even without seeing. We don’t mean any harm to anyone. Let’s just respect others the way we want to be respected. That’s all. No need for harmful/ immature comments. Because Someday, your words might serve you a lesson you’ll never forget.

13. Seth says:

And regarding faith, I’d much rather be wrong about my faith in Christ than to be wrong having not believed. Eternity is a long time…

14. dateliner says:

I still believe astonishing the fact of an oral code before humans had created writing. Really? How much was there to say without the time to write it down somewhere. The mind is so complex. Well, sometimes!

• dateliner says:

(dtdliner) I found transformersRobot reproduces human mouth movements for speechFAA Authorizes Commercial-Drone Testing><binary opposition