Scoop: Glee's Jayma Mays Joins CBS' New Sitcom The Millers as Will Arnett's Sister

the millers jayma maysFor Jayma Mays, where there’s a Will there’s a way.

The actress, who spent the last four years romancing Matthew Morrison’s Will Schuester on Glee, has joined CBS’ new fall comedy The Millers as Will Arnett’s sister, TVLine has learned.

RELATED | Exclusive: 4 Glee Series Regulars Not Returning as Regulars

Mays replaces Mary Elizabeth Ellis, who played the Debbie character in the pilot. (Producers are also recasting Deb’s hubby, originally portrayed by Michael Rappaport.)

It’s not clear what Mays’ new series regular gig means for her Glee alter ego Emma, who married Will in last month’s finale. (It’s worth noting that Mays only appeared on the Fox musical dramedy on a recurring basis last season.)

PHOTOS & VIDEO | Fall Preview: Your Guide to What’s New

The Millers, which also stars Margo Martindale and Beau Bridges as Arnett’s feuding parents, premieres Thursday, Sept. 27 at 8:30/7:30c following The Big Bang Theory (WATCH THE TRAILER).

1. Adam says:

Glee keeps losing its original cast members. I guess they couldn’t hold onto that feeling…

2. James says:

I think it’s good she’s leaving… Glee doesn’t value enough the amazing actors it has.

3. Tai says:

And my reasons for even halfway tuning into Glee keep dropping like flies. The only thing keeping me somewhat invested now is Naya Rivera. Everyone else I like is gone. But that’s a good thing. I will definitely have to add this show to my list of shows to watch. I hope it’s a success and Jayma never has to look back to Glee.

4. Guy says:

Ugh, just get rid of McKinley High altogether.

• Elly says:

That’s EXACTLY what they need to do. I genuinely couldn’t give a crap about Mr. Schue- his only purpose is for Sue to bounce quips off of. Seriously, let Sue randomly move to New York and ill buy it. Just NO MORE MCKINLEY.

• Babygate says:

Considering that all the add-ons from last season became regulars, I would say, no chance of McKinley going away anytime soon.

5. l says:

I don’t understand how Glee got picked up for two more seasons.Last season was terrible and it doesn’t sound like it’s going to get better, only worse.Good on her for getting as far away from that hot mess as possible.

6. Dj says:

With the way Glee ended they could have the first half be the end of the school year so I’m starting to think that the first half of Glee will be used to say goodbye to the Glee Club and the second half will see New York as the main story since the High School year would be up they wouldn’t need to go back there to show what was going on.

• Lydia says:

Sadly they bumped the new kids up to series regulars so I think we are stuck with them all through their high school days. Well, not me because that was the last little push I needed on my way out the door. Best of luck to those still sticking around.

7. Esaul says:

Glee is trying to be like Degrassi. Keep the show’s concept going, but with new characters. It doesn’t work too well for broadcast like this. People grew attached to different characters. They made the show. Nothing else. Season one was amazing, two was eh, three was pretty good, four was just bad, and I’m probably quitting now too.

• BigAdam says:

three was pretty good? no way!

• Esaul says:

Nothing can top season one. Second two was too preachy. It’d be hard to do worse than season two (though season four comes close), and season three wasn’t bad in comparison to the other seasons, so it falls naturally second in ranking compare to the others.

• dude says:

Season three was the best season creatively. It was the most tightly written (for Glee standards) and satisfying as a whole. People like to romance the idea of Glee’s first season because it was new and they have fond memories of it but season one was just as big of an inconsistent mess that season two was. Even the first 12 episodes were pretty hit or miss and the only good episode in their back nine was “Power of Madonna.”

• Kavyn says:

I REALLY liked the Troubletones. Wish that stuck for the entire season though.

8. Bobbie says:

GO JAYMA!!! She’s a terrific actress and so underused on Glee. Ahhh, as long as Cory and Lea are on the show, I’ll have to keep watching(suffer through) Glee.

• VeryGleeSad says:

Jayma is a wonderful actress so glad for her to be on a show. I hope they will appreciate her talents. Glee has surrendered to lesser talented young people for their regulars on the show. Way to go Jayma. Wish her all the best.

9. Leondre says:

Looking forward to the Millers, never watched Glee.

10. Lotte says:

How comes Glee seems happy to chase away its original, talented and loved cast and replace them with boring, uninspiring and unwanted actors who had an entire season to shine and are disliked by the majority?

At least I am very happy Jayma found a new job. She deserves far better than this mess happening at Glee.

• dude says:

I wouldn’t say its happily chasing them away. The actors they got rid of were painted into a corner. There was no logical way to keep them in the rotation without dragging them back to the high school (much like they did with Finn) not that Glee is always logical. Jayma Mays has been recurring for a year now so she’ll probably appear just as much in this season as she did, which is to say, they’ll bring her in for stretches of episodes when she’s needed. Will is probably the most boring character on the show so I have no problem with them focusing less on his personal life.

• VeryGleeSad says:

Glee has written the adults poorly. Yes, those who will not be regular cast members were written into oblivion. I’m glad that these actors can pursue other ventures now. I wish them well.

• Geo says:

It’s not that difficult to come up with scenarios where they could keep most of the original cast. A new NYC art school opens and everybody gets in. Kurt writes a Broadway show and invites all his friends to come to NYC to be a part of it. Sue or Schue inherits a fortune and open their own talent agency representing the originals. There are hundreds of scenarios the writers could have come up with to keep much of the original cast (that most Glee viewers love) that would in no way be less logical than most of the McKinley crap we got thrown last season. Ryan Murphy is getting rid of the originals because he wants to get rid of the originals. I suspect its because A) it is a cost-cutting measure as the newbies work cheaper and B) Murphy and crew lack the imagination to come up with anything other than the same old/same old incredibly tired McKinley High stories.

11. Kristina says:

Good to hear she’s getting a new gig. Hopefully she’ll get more screen time here than she did in the overcrowded mess that is Glee.

12. Mandy says:

She is much too talented to stay on the slowly sinking Glee. I really loved Glee the first few seasons, but it wasn’t designed to last. It’s too bad they will drag it on.
    Jayma needs to go somewhere she can shine.

13. dude says:

Emma has never really been a full-time character on Glee. She comes and goes as she’s needed so it shouldn’t affect her presence on the show but I’ll still miss her when she’s gone. Emma is such a great character.

14. Jaime04 says:

Why is this news? Anyone who follows Glee knows she wasn’t in many episodes ladt season. She’ll be on S5 of Glee in just as few episodes as S4. They would not have married them if there wasn’t a long term plan. No reason she can’t do both. Look at Mike O’Malley!

• Julie says:

Glee doesn’t do long term plans. It’s pretty obvious they are making everything up as they go along. That’s why so many of the resolutions on the show are unsatisfying.

15. Chris says:

She was extremely under used in season 4, and when she was there, she was pretty much useless. I’d much rather her find a show were she can actually do some acting, instead of just being a plot devise for Mr. Shue.

16. Allyson says:

What the hell is wrong with Ryan Murphy and Fox to let another Glee character go. Emma is a great addition to the cast. At least she and Will got married at the end of last season. Well, I guess with her getting a job on another network will mean the end of her days on Glee!!!! Bad mistake for letting her get away! Are they so desperate for us to love the new characters that they must get rid of the original characters?!

• VeryGleeSad says:

Glee and friends seem to be forcing that issue. Making us love um or leave um. I am so tired of the promises made and the hopes for a great season then be disappointed again and again. Now, this, Jayma is gone and Glee is renewed for 2 more seasons with the new cast as regulars.

17. Tania says:

Very happy for her. I barely watched Glee this past year, partly due to it being up against Grey’s Anatomy and partly because it just wasn’t all that good. Had the show been better I would’ve taken the time to watch it online I tried a few times and I just couldn’t get into it.

A little worried for her that the show she’s on will be up against Once Upon A Time in Wonderland.I hope there’s room for both shows.

18. JAmandaFan says:

I was looking forward to Mary Elizabeth Ellis! I wonder what happened–she is so funny! That’s a shame.

19. Fernanda says:

for me, this is not the end of Wemma, this is the end of Matthew Morrison on Glee, actually, there is not interesting plot for any adult characters on the show. However, I don’t thing Jayma is going away for good. We don’t now if the Millers would continue another season.

If we don’t see Emma, it’s possible that Will Schuester would say good bye this season. The New Schuester is Finn, and that character is the heart and soul of the losers, just like in the beginning of the wonderful first season. He is the male lead, not Schester, not Darren “I adore you but I start to hate the annoying Blaine” Criss

I hope Emma and Schue stay together, even if we don’t see her anymore.

20. Megan says:

She’s slated to return in as many appearances as last year…she’s not gone.

• Zach says:

If she has another series commitment, she’s only allowed 5 appearances.

• scooby says:

Wouldn’t that depend on her contract? They can agree to do whatever. Not that CBS is going to give her free rein to do a Fox show, plus she just wouldn’t have time, but a limit of 5 is coming from where, exactly? I’ve seen a clip of The Millers that was pretty awful. Maybe they’re fixing it, but if it’s still sketchy, the series commitment may not matter. Frankly I hope Margo’s free to go back to The Americans. I hate rooting for a show to fail. People on the crew need to feed their families and I get that. I’ll just cross my fingers and hope to see “Granny” on FX again as a guest star if nothing else.

21. Lisa says:

Just get rid of McKinley and all the new kids and move the show to NYC and LA with the original kids! That’s what people want to see! Good for Jayma – she was wasted on Glee last season!

22. abdullh says:

Nightn’t dream of anything yesterday. happiness, joy ..overnight Maybe my Lord, we must Sav case overnight, but in the hustle joked ..with Habib to Zhi Zain Odeh lute bananas in issued out apples ..and the moon at night shiny cheeks. His Lips are streaks, including eggs, Waddah ..of what makes things worse are open missed his responses when the night comes his excellency is a joke I and for Jamil, who visited him in his presence and have a great qualitative Artah ..from after they are my eyes away from the bedroom

23. Fran says:

On a side note- how did I miss that Margo Martindale AND Beau Bridges were on this show? I normally dont watch CBS comedies but will watch this just for them!

24. Belinda says:

I think the real problem with Glee is that its creators can’t decide which way it wants to go. The writers clearly want to stick with their “glee club” concept so they bring in new characters to keep it “realistic” (ha!), ostensibly chasing off the old characters that their audience has become attached to. To keep from alienating their original audience, they follow a few major original characters after graduation and now have this bipolar tv show that has no real focus and a bunch of characters that have no history with (or loyalty from) the audience. The music continues to be good, so I’ll watch for that, but the story lines are completely unglued.

25. Dick Whitman says:

Jayma Mays on The Millers. All I got to say is how Smurfy is that!