Falling Skies: Noah Wyle Previews a Face-Off Between Frenemies, Promises Fulfilling Finale

Get More: Finales, Previews

Falling Skies Season 3 Preview Tom PopeThis Sunday on Falling Skies (TNT, 10/9c), Tom and Pope will realize that although they survived their Espheni-evading plane crash, they now must endure their trek through a forest teeming with Skitters — all while trying not to kill each other.

RELATED | Leverage Alum Beth Riesgraf Steals Role on TNT’s Perception

Previewing the intense times ahead for the frenemies, Noah Wyle tells TVLine, “This is the culmination of a long-burning feud between these two guys who really don’t like each other yet have always gotten along because they’ve respected each other’s skill sets and the necessity of them to survive.”

That modicum of civility and professional courtesy, however, always came in the presence of a larger community, with eyes watching. “But there’s no witnesses out there in the woods…,” Wyle points out, ominously. “Anything could happen.”

One thing that definitely does happen is an opportunity for new insight into the puckish Pope, who for two-and-a-half seasons now has fought alongside — and, yes, occasionally against — the good people of the 2nd Mass.

“You learn a quite bit about Pope’s backstory — and it’s not what you expect,” Wyle shares. “It’s mixed. It’s troubled. But it’s also a lot more suburban than you would have thought.”

RELATED | Major Crimes to be Solved by Doris Roberts, Tim Conway, Ron Glass, Other TV Vets

Of course, if (OK, when) Tom ultimately does make it back to Charleston, the headaches will be far from over. After all, he will likely be hit with the news that baby momma Anne 1) drugged Lourdes and 2) KO’d Dr. Wilson, er, Cadar, with an iron wrench in the name of 3) disappearing with their extraterrestrially funky newborn.

Assaying Tom’s reaction to his lady love’s brash act, Wyle says, “He’s going to go f–king nuts. He is.”

RELATED | Rizzoli & Isles Sneak Peek: Jane Grills Paddy About a Big Maura Mystery

Standing here at the midpoint of Season 3 and looking down the road, Wyle promises “a couple really big shows towards the end of the season that I’m really proud of,” feeding into a finale he says is “epic” and, apparently, action-packed.

“We saved a lot of our war chest special-effects money for that show in particular,” the actor reveals. But even amidst the promise of mega-pyrotechnics, Falling Skies’ latest run may go out with a different kind of bang.

“As opposed to some of the other seasons where we’ve ended on a cliffhanger,” Wyle says, “this one has more of a sense of closure, and completion.” (With reporting by Vlada Gelman)

Want more scoop on Falling Skies, or for any other show? Email insideline@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

Comments (38)

• Uh oh… Tell me the “closure” in the final episode doesn’t mean it’s because they aren’t sure about another season?!?

Comment by Lilly – June 29, 2013 07:08 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I be surprised there is another season after this one. The show is geting more expensive to show with each season. So atlest if it is canned we not left with questions.

Comment by Dave – June 29, 2013 08:06 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • If the ratings hold where they are, I can’t see TNT not renewing it. It’s their highest-rated scripted drama.

Comment by Tim – June 29, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But are they high enough to make the network cover the escalating costs. The fact there is no cliff hanger this season should speak volumes.

Comment by Dave – June 29, 2013 05:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • No, it shouldn’t speak anything. The show isn’t normally renewed until at least the 6th episde every season.

Comment by Midori – June 29, 2013 08:59 PM PDT
  • I can’t wait to watch the new episode tomorrow night. the new season have been good so far.

Comment by joey – June 29, 2013 07:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fallen skies so american its filmed in Canada.

Comment by Dave – June 29, 2013 08:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes just like countless other shows on American television. In fact, the majority of shows you see on cable are filmed in Canada, hell a-lot of broadcast network shows set in America are filmed in Canada.

Comment by TheiKing – June 30, 2013 07:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t know of too many LARGE OPEN WOODED DENSE places here in the US that aren’t protected by some tree hugging liberals that wouldn’t go bat sheet crazy when those kind of folks knocked a few of them trees over (OMG NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! WHEREVER WILL THE LITTLE FURRY FOREST CREATURES LIVE?!?!?!? *mumbles* in my belly *vegetarian tree huggers faint*) so that’s why they go to the nice folks in Canada. Because they would rather put a bullet in your head than let you live in prison on their tax dollars… and we have how much debt again? TRILLIONS? yep let’s go give some money to the Canadians. We can spare a few bucks… and maybe a doe or 2.

Comment by Imelda – July 1, 2013 02:05 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve really enjoyed this season, as with all seasons, in fact. The finale promise of closure does have me a little concerned that they may not be hopeful of coming back, which in my mind, would be an extremely disappointing decision. With such a strong cast of great actors, great storylines and story telling, I’m hopeful that they will indeed return for a fourth and beyond. In they don’t though, I’m thankful for what I’ve seen and enjoyed. For me personally, it’s a wonderful show.

Comment by Dean – June 29, 2013 08:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “As opposed to some of the other seasons where we’ve ended on a cliffhanger,” Wyle says, “this one has more of a sense of closure, and completion.”

That’s NEVER a good thing. It hints at a series finale.

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 29, 2013 08:53 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Dont get me wrong i love some Canadian TV (Flashpoint) and its cool stuff shoots in Canada. But they do it to save money, so whats sad is an American company/show has 50 states to shoot in and so many are so very different, totally different ecosystems and climates and geography we basically have 10 different countries in the lower 48 states along let alone Hawaii’s tropical island (H50, Lost) and Alaska’s frozen/snow setting. So its sad that all of these states (especially California) are getting it SO wrong on the taxes and prices for shooting that American companies and jobs are going up to Canada (out of country). Look at Fringe, they shot in NY/Boston and it was gorgeous (season 1) and then to save money went off to Canada to shoot Vancouver as pretend NY/Boston…and had to pink slip all the insanely hard working NY crew after their first season and go to Canada and hire non Americans. :/ Sad

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 29, 2013 04:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Production companies have no choice but to find more suitable and tax-friendly places to shoot TV shows unless American states with an existing TV/movie industry think of a better way to provide incentives that’s a win win for both the state and members of the industry so that shows set in NY/Boston etc can stay put to the real thing.

Although I I miss seeing Georgia being used as a “Northern California” setting for Teen Wolf, the show’s move to California as a beneficiary of the state’s annual tax lottery seemed to have benefited them more. It’ll take me a while still to get the hang of things however.

Comment by James – June 29, 2013 11:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Thats exactly what i said though more technical. Thats what i dont get, if my state gets basically no movies/tv shows shot in it, I dont get it, its like selling cookies for a million dollars, thats great but if you sell 0, thats $0. But if you sell cookies for $5, and you sell 1,000 cookies, thats $5,000. Something is better than nothing….states need to be more tax friendly and give incentives so studios will shoot in America.

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 30, 2013 12:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Anytime they want to come on back down here to the South where we don’t have all the BS aka unions some of the rest of these United States do, they might save some money! Problem is, it’s a little hot and a whole lot of humid and Hollywould types are delicate creatures. They might melt or catch fire depends on who the actor/RSS is.

Comment by Imelda – July 1, 2013 02:12 AM PDT
  • That’s too bad , isn’t it ??? I am a Canadian and thrilled that sci -fi has been filmed here for decades. Chronicles of Riddick, I Robot, X-Files, Stargate, Andromeda, to name a few.

Comment by Angela prettie – June 29, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wouldn’t be too worried about it. The ratings are getting better & they’ve already announced that they will have a new show runner for season 4, plus a few actors have commented on how they’re interested to find out what’s in store for their characters next season. Nothing official has been announced but it sounds very optimistic to me. Especially then announcing a new show runner :)

Comment by Steph – June 29, 2013 09:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Finale talk already? We’ve only had 3 episodes so far this season.

Comment by Kate – June 29, 2013 01:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Four episodes, and there are only 10 episodes a season, the finale two probably will be one night. The finale is only in 4-5 weeks.

Comment by Midori – June 29, 2013 09:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I look forward to Sunday nights for this show alone. I honestly hope they don’t end it this year as I am looking very much forward to seeing how the show and the characters develop. Please keep it going for many seasons to come.

Comment by SoFla – June 29, 2013 02:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love the show, look forward to Sundays because of the show, but the baby thing has me :/ ….im giving it the benefit of the doubt, i get the talking CGI isnt great but i cut it slack, how the Mother acted last episode was weird, for 2-3 episodes shes borderline acting like she wants to toss it in a dumpster cause its a freaky alien baby and then she finds out it is…and is hitting people on the head (that could easily kill him, wtf?) and drugging people and running out alone with a baby with barely any supplies to …where? basically where a huge fire-fight just happened and where aliens are roaming? Lol wtf. I miss when she was the smart, sweet, down to earth character.
    I also still cant get over the name “Co-Cheese”…just horrible. I mean couldnt it be like “Rak-Tar” or “Tar-Shy” or something not like “Toe-Berry” or “Co-Cheese” lol.
    Jeez how many Show runners has this show been through already? Let alone how many has TWD had? I agree with Noah on “Second Watch” that the setting up shop (ie not constantly moving across country” isnt as fun, but i think its true to what would happen. Just like TWD, i get it that the Farm and FSkies underground compound consistent sets arent as fun, but at some point you would stop nomad traveling and set down some shallow roots (ie the farm, prison, FS school, FS underground compound).

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 29, 2013 04:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Just watched Moon Bloodgood interview she did last night on Craig Ferguson and she mentioned how she was kidnapped on the show because she had to give birth then be at home with the baby, so now I get why it feels forced and a bit out of character, it (along with her getting pregnant and the baby in general) were not out of a vacuum natural creative ideas the writers thought up. She got pregnant for real so they had to decide “Do we hide that she is? Or put it in the show”, they chose option B obviously but it changed the course/character direction of the show in a unnatural way (if she hadnt gotten pregnant, im sure this season would be VERY different), and now the same with her needing 1-3 months off (x amount of episodes) to give birth and be with the baby at home, which even if they didnt want they HAVE to do…so they were forced to temporarily write her off the show…..All this because Moon and her husband decided to have sex one night when the odds were against them….lol jk, good for them :) Id LOVE to see what the writers had planned for this season before they found out she was pregnant though, see how different it would be.

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 29, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Her exit/maternity leave was all covered in one of my previous FALLING SKIES previews.

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 29, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Yeah since i watched her interview i remembered that, but it was so far in the back of my mind when watching the show it didnt kick in that her being kidnapped equaled her time off to give birth.

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 29, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post

Comment by Matt Webb Mitovich – June 29, 2013 05:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I didnt doubt it could be a real name or anything, but even with a real person having it and it being historically significant, my point of “every time i hear it all i hear is Co-Cheese” still stands.

Comment by M3rc Nate – June 29, 2013 09:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • It’s a nickname that the 2nd Mass-Charleston’s had to give for their Vohm visitor as his actual name seems so hard to pronounce, let alone spell it. :D

Comment by James – June 29, 2013 11:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • It’s Volm.

Comment by Sue – June 30, 2013 08:22 PM PDT
      • Didn’t personally know this either. Always love to read stuff like this and see those nice little touches being added by the writers.

Comment by Dean – June 30, 2013 04:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • TY for the reference. Like Nate I too hear Co Cheese. Couldn’t decide if that’s REALLY what they were saying and I convinced myself nah surely they’re say Co CHIEFS because it made more sense. Word of advice. Don’t listen to your radio loud. It really DORS mess with your hearing and all Closed Caption is not created equal. The folks on YouTube have some minute writing. Might as well not even be there. I will never miss another episode again! I record it twice in our BR and LR. Just so I can read CC on my TV and know when people aren’t saying things like Co Cheese/Chiefs

Comment by Imelda – July 1, 2013 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • LMAO! I love how you pronounced those in text form. Co cheese being my favorite. Only reason I knew it was Volm is because I’m hard of hearing and the CC typed it that way. Listened to too much Metallica too loud my mother would say.

AGree Midori I don’t know why they feel the need for cliffhangers either. Guess it’s a classic move that’s always worked to bring audiences back? I’m talking out my asp though and guessing no proof of anything. I’d rather they go on and get everything tidy. True fans will be back. Didn’t know about the $4m/episode! Ok they had 10 episodes in S1 and 10 more in S2 right? Total of 20 episodes at $4m ea? With a budget that big that’s like creating a movie! Ted’s rich but he aint that rich. They’ll bankrupt Atlanta with that budget!

Comment by Imelda – July 1, 2013 02:35 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s always a smart move to have some closure on shows in the finale. I don’t understand why we always need a big cliffhanger. Some closure a season is nice, but could always go again. A great example of this is The West Wing season 6 finale. The ending could have, if needed, worked as a series finale, but it leaves the window open to more.

And Falling Skies costs $4 million an episode in season 1, I can’t even picture how much it costs now. At some point that will be just too much, even with decent stable ratings.

Comment by Midori – June 29, 2013 07:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I am from Vancouver where Falling Skies and many other shows mentioned are and were filmed. Love being able to go out in my beautiful city and watch them put a show together.

Comment by Annie – June 30, 2013 07:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You are very lucky to be able to do that. I would have loved watching the two Stargate series being filmed. I still miss those shows.

Comment by Sue – June 30, 2013 08:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Last night’s episode was the best of the series! Am I alone in having never really liked Hal or have others also found his character aloof since the very beginning? Now that he’s possessed he’s downright intolerable!

Comment by Linderella – July 1, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Pope! To me he is the best character in the whole series. Some of the others are downright annoying.

Comment by Vanny – July 2, 2013 12:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why was there only a 1 hour show on August 4 and they were showing it as a two hour finale

Comment by Mark Slavin – August 5, 2013 05:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Why was there only an hour show on August 4 2013. When they were showing for a two hour season finale?

Comment by Mark Slavin – August 5, 2013 05:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post