Fall TV Preview

The Good Wife Exclusive: Meet Kalinda's 'Whip-Smart' New Season 5 Love Interest

The Good Wife Season 5 Juliet RylanceThe Good Wife is adding another (very pretty) notch to Kalinda’s bedpost boots.

The CBS drama has tapped English actress Juliet Rylance to join the Season 5 cast as a new love interest for Archie Panjabi’s sexually open sleuth Kalinda, TVLine has learned exclusively.

RELATED | The Good Wife Season 5: [Spoiler] Promoted to Series Regular

Rylance — who co-starred as Ethan Hawke’s wife in the 2012 spooker Sinister — will play the recurring role of Holly, a whip-smart Assistant State’s Attorney who shares a past with Kalinda.

This is The Good Wife‘s second big Season 5 hire. As TVLine just reported, Hunted‘s Melissa George is coming on board as a member of Peter’s inner circle.

The Good Wife kicks off its fifth season on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

Comments (47)

• Are we ever going to learn what happened to her husband? I don’t really want to dwell on him, but when you set up a mystery you have to pay it off.

Comment by Buddy – June 28, 2013 01:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes we all want to know what happened to her husband.

Comment by Pat – September 13, 2013 06:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m actually excited for this new character. Kalinda needs a new love interest and just better story lines in general. Last season was not a good one for Kalinda, unfortunately.

Comment by macabre – June 28, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yeah, who gives a damn about Cary. Let’s give her another love interest and leave Cary doing some boring stuff until they’ll need him to make up for Kalinda plots which don’t work so well. I’m fed up.

Comment by Lucy – June 28, 2013 02:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The Kings have promised big things for Cary in Season 5. They also made promises every other year. So far, lots of casting news involving other regulars but, once again, nothing for Cary. We’ll see if this year turns out like the others. How about a girlfriend for Cary? Not just the Kalinda angle. Now that would be realistic writing!

Comment by Dee – June 28, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No way next year is going to be Cary’s year. It’s just the usual mockery by writers. The only spoilers we got are about other characters who got other new regulars to interact with, about Willicia new love-hate relationship and about the new dimension of the triangle. And even Peter got a new love interest.
        Matt Czuchry and his character are just a diversion they use when they’ve issues with the plot. They’ve used Cary’s character for 4 years to give Kalinda something else to do when they need but they always eneded up giving her new love interests every season and doing nothing with Cary/Kalinda (and with Cary in general).
        And everyone is supposed to be excited about that thing and not to give a damn about Cary.Big news for Kalinda! And Go to hell Cary. (that’s pratically the meaning of headline). She got her new love interest. Let’s forget Cary, who probably will spend another season chasing her with no purpose, to be randomly involved in her plots with absolutely no meaning for him or for his storyline.
        There was no respect for fans and no respect for the character or the actor since we are supposed not to give a damn about Cary’s point of view. Even when he was beaten up we were supposed not to give a damn. Indeed there was nothing to give a damn about.
        I’ve enough. I’ve also enough of Cary being the only idiot they don’t even care to give a decent not creepy or weirdo love interest And big news for me: I’ve another reason to give up.

Comment by Lucy – June 28, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Let’s see how this season turns out. I sure hate to see such talent wasted when they underuse Cary but let’s see how the new Florrick-Agos & Associates turns out. I only hope the Kings keep their promise this year about correctly utilizing Matt Czuchry.

Comment by Dee – June 29, 2013 10:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Yeah, let’s see. But every season we’re asking to wait and see. That’s while every season they keep putting him in the background, giving him just C plots or using him like a plot monkey. And that’s while Kalinda got her bunch of new love interests. I don’t believe those writers anymore. And those spoilers make me think I’m right to think so.

Comment by Lucy – June 30, 2013 02:43 AM PDT
      • They should pair Cary with Robyn. They have good chemistry. Cary and Kalinda are more like siblings, the idea of them together as a romantic coupe is a bit yucky actually. Let them be special friends. A Cary/Robyn pairing would be cute.

Comment by MC – July 1, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • I don’t care about Kalinda’s character anymore and I don’t want Cary to be paired with her anymore. He has being subjected to her childish/drama queen emotional behavior for too long. And I’ve enough of watching him pining for her all the season just to be rejected and replaced quickly the following season.
          The point is that if those writers meant Cary and Kalinda like siblings they shouldn’t have wasted 4 seasons hinting there was something more between them and shouldn’t have almost every season reduced Cary’s love life (and storyline) into a sub-subplot of the Kalinda sexual adventures show.
          So, well, now I prefer no interaction at all between Cary and Kalinda if writers are not able to keep their promises about those two. No friends. No special friends. It would be a waste of time and a recycle of what we already saw.
          Give him his own storyline and his own love interest and leave Kalinda out of this, because they absolutely don’t know how to involve her in his storylines without turning it into a “it’s all about Kalinda and her spoiled child’s demands”.
          They don’t know how to write them as a couple. They don’t know how to write about something else besides sex or sexual attraction. They’re not able to support and capitalize Matt Czuchry and Archie Panjabi natural chemistry with a solid script and for more than a couple of scenes. It’s easier to find for her a new love interest and maybe to have him pitifully chasing her all the time,
          And Cary/Robin would be cute in a sit-com. But since it’s a drama let’s give him a serious and intense love interest. After 4 years of failures he deserves it.

Comment by Pat – July 2, 2013 04:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • My thoughts exactly!

Comment by H. Hamid – June 28, 2013 03:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • SERIOUSLY. I want more screentime for Cary and I want an actual Cary/Kalinda storyline like we were promised. It has been 4 seasons, MAKE IT HAPPEN already. I hate that they keep jerking us around.

Comment by Ella – June 30, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are trying WAY TOO HARD with this character. She is too good of an actress and character. They kind of just ruining her for me.

Comment by TL – June 28, 2013 02:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. They should focus on the core cast, and work on her relationship with Cary and Alicia.
      BTW, who DOESN’T Kalinda “have a past with”?

Comment by ER – June 28, 2013 03:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I agree with all you said. More core cast involvement please,

Comment by Dee – June 28, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • EVERYONE Kalinda knows, she has a ‘past’ with. Why the Cary/Kalinda tease if it was going nowhere??

Comment by H. Hamid – June 28, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Because they had no time to cast someone new for her last season but they quicky needed something to make up for the Nick’s mess: so as usual they used poor pathetic Cary and underrated and underused Matt Czuchry to give her something/someone else to do. That’s all.

Comment by Lucy – June 29, 2013 01:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I so agree. I’m just tired of Kalinda the Amazing Bad-Ass Who’s Also Happen to Be a Sexy Hypnotic Bisexual Who Has Lots of Sexy Sexy. Why can’t they go back to showing her complex, interesting, fascinating friendship with Alicia, for god’s sake?

Comment by Maria – June 28, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh come onnnn. No one cares about Kalinda lesbian affairs!!!

Well there goes the hope for Kalinda/Cary shippers

Comment by Mandy – June 28, 2013 03:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Speak for yourself. I care. I prefer them over her and Cary.

Comment by Olive – June 30, 2013 11:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Terrific…now I have a reason to dump the best written show on TV. They did the same in your face lesbianism on “Grey’s Anatomy” and I said, “bye-bye.” In the words of Peter, Paul and Mary, “when will they ever learn, when will they ever learn”?

Comment by charles edmond – June 28, 2013 03:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • And by “they” you mean non-bigoted, open-minded Americans?

Comment by Danyelle – June 28, 2013 03:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Next TV will be reflecting real life – then you can give it up altogether

Comment by cuius – June 28, 2013 03:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? You’re going to quote lyrics from a song written in the spirit of love and understanding? I think those words were more geared towards your blatant homophobic ass.

Comment by Katie – June 28, 2013 04:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • They are killin her character for me. The whole husband thing was a disaster and now instead of putting her and Cary together they do this. Ugh. I hope it grabs me the first couple of episodes into the season.

Comment by tp – June 28, 2013 03:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • And Lana Delaney?

Comment by Karol – June 28, 2013 03:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hope they bring back Lana sometime down the road. Kalinda and Lana had amazing chemistry. They should have done a proper storyline with Lana and Kalinda in Season 4 instead of with creepy Nick.

Comment by MC – June 29, 2013 10:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Exactly! Lana Delaney is a pretty incredible character. What’s up with Jill Flint not being back yet?!! That was the best chemistry I’ve seen Kalinda with, ever. And Lana is just an incredible character I want to learn more about. So yea, crossing my fingers for a Kalenda / Lana reunion this season. And longer than 2 eps if possible… Amazing chemistry there

Comment by Julie – August 2, 2013 10:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • awesome!!

Comment by mia – June 28, 2013 04:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What happened to Lana? Jill Flint doesn’t even know if she will be coming back. What gives writers? Please. Cary and Kalinda? Eww!!! Kalinda has shown to be more into women. Yes she has dated a few men early on and had a husband but clearly she leans towards women.

Comment by Nancy – June 28, 2013 05:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Robert King said back in May they still hadn’t given up on wanting Jill Flint back. I hope that’s still the case now that her series has been picked up. It’s a half season series, so there should be room in her schedule for TGW appearances.

Kalinda and Lana were so good together, it would be a pity if they didn’t revisit that relationship again. There’s still so much dramatic potential with these two. The audience actually saw their onscreen history. I’d just like to see their story play out onscreen. The way they left things with K/L last season felt very unfinished.

Comment by Rocca – June 29, 2013 03:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Eh, they’ve done the lesbian thing with her before; might have been more fun to give her a steamy (non-abusive) relationship with a guy …. Naveen Andrews would have been perfect!

Comment by Lyn – June 28, 2013 06:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • RIP Cary/Kalinda?
    I hope Cary gets a better plot next season that doesn’t involve romantic affairs and such.

Comment by JJ – June 28, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t know why they bother to write new love affairs for Kalinda when 99% of her romantic plot-lines are boring as hell and lead nowhere in the overall plot of the show.

Like… I know Kalinda is sexy and has a magnetic vulva already. Can’t we please learn something new and interesting about her character? As it is, throwing her into stupid love affairs that end out of nowhere is a huge waste of Archie Panjabi’s talent and our time.

Comment by Maria – June 28, 2013 07:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alicia has been a bit of a tumbleweed, a rolling stone. Romantically speaking, she is also very guarded, secretive and reticent. For her, being able to find a partner that she can be committed to, honest with and that compliments her personality, would be a huge sign of growth and would add a more mature, personal aspect to her development as a character. IMO.

Comment by Babygate – June 29, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I find Kalinda has a lot of hotness with women than with men. So bring her on!.:)

Comment by Faisal – June 29, 2013 08:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think because in the relationships with women she remains her strong self, but I think in the relationships with men she takes a bit of a back seat and her personality conforms to fit with the man she is with. It happens, but I think she is more like herself when she is with a woman.

Comment by S – June 29, 2013 11:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I was hoping that Lana would return but if the actress has another show, I understand why they would pursue another route. And establishing that they have a past or a ‘history’ allows the writers to jump right into it and bypass the required ‘getting-to-know-you’ facet of the relationship. As long as we are spared the ill-conceived Cary/Kalinda pairing, I’m good. They are completely incompatible. Kalinda is too hardcore for a good boy like Cary. He looks a little like an overgrown choir boy. The optics on this pairing alone are not appealing or compelling. I think Kalinda has shown more romantic potential with her female partners.

Comment by Babygate – June 29, 2013 06:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Kalinda! I do hope they don’t just forget about the ex husband story. If I recall it appeared she’d killed him.. I assumed before the season finale that they would have found the body at the end of the finale, setting it up to play out at the start of next season.

Comment by JC – June 30, 2013 01:50 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I love Kalinda, but focusing on her love life, or anyone’s love life, seems a bit off track. The legal stories and the political conflicts regarding the lawyers and Peter, Alicia, et al. are the moving parts of this series. Love interests just seem so out of place (like the writers can’t think of any more good story lines?).

Comment by bobbie – June 30, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kalinda is not that old. She can’t ‘have a past’ with every woman they throw in her path. Trying to figure out the secrets of her history is getting old. At this point, I’d almost rather see her pick up a random in a bar.

Comment by Magically Suspicious – July 2, 2013 07:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • the heck with that, put her back with lana. all these new people kalinda is suppose to be daitng, it won’t last.
    it’s alwyas lana delaney.

Comment by tvguide.com – July 12, 2013 12:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • as will and diane get trapped in the elevator, will asks diane out on a date.

kalinda gets a new love interest, secrets about her “husband,” blake, and leelah are revealed, kalinda is not too thrilled that detective delaney moved on.

alicia and husband, renew their vowels on their honey moon.

kalinda tells lana at the hospital; how kalinda truly feels about her.

Comment by tvguide – July 13, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boring! Easy! Cliched!

Comment by Jack Sprat – August 22, 2013 06:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no matter what, it will always be lana and kalinda.

Comment by anonymous – September 19, 2013 11:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Lana Delaney back…. I really hope Lana and Kalinda can be an couple. I like the interaction between them.

Comment by jcling – September 29, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It will be better if Kalinda have relationship with Marilyn. Both of them are really sexy and sensitive actresses. What about Alicia, she shoud be with her husband. Why this film’s name good wife, becouse wife is helping her husband.

Comment by Linda – October 1, 2013 03:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post