Exclusive

Exclusive: The Good Wife Targets Hunted's Melissa George for Major Season 5 Role

The Good Wife Season 5 Melissa GeorgeIn what could be viewed as promising news for fans of Alicia and Will, The Good Wife is throwing some hard-to-resist temptation Peter’s way.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Hunted heroine Melissa George is joining the CBS drama’s Season 5 cast in the recurring role of Marilyn, newly-elected Governor Florrick’s in-house ethics counsel.

RELATED | Good Wife Scoop: Season 5 to Introduce New Trio, Including Love Interest for [Spoiler]

The character is described as smart, sexy, savvy and, by her very job description, a stickler for honesty and observing the rules. (Side note: Wait until Ms. M finds out about that whole vote-rigging thingy. Or maybe that’s why she was retained in the first place!)

RELATED | Good Wife Bosses Confirm: Alicia Chose [Spoiler]

In addition to Cinemax’s Hunted (which may live on in miniseries form), George’s TV credits include Grey’s Anatomy, Alias and Lie to Me.

The Good Wife kicks off its fifth season on Sunday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

1. Glen says:

Great news, but loved her in the Hunted..

2. Diane Vandrei says:

Not more characters taking away scenes with the regulars we love.Why?

• Stefan says:

Because it is a tv show and they need guest stars and recurring characters or it would be the same story every freaking week

3. Steven says:

She’s a great actress. The Good Wife has the best guest stars.

4. Eugenia says:

THANK YOU DEAR LORD. Alicia and Will will come back together, eventually.

5. Hamza says:

Awesome news! Love her acting (and looks)!

6. Carmen says:

She is sooooooo annoying.

• TGW Fan says:

hahaha omg I know right!! I cannot believe she’s going to be on the show. I want Lisa Edelstein to come back! She is awesome.

7. Babygate says:

Love this. I won’t lie, though. I was hoping she would be Kalinda’s new love interest. I still wish she would have stuck around at Grey”s to become Callie’s love interest.

8. Jason R says:

Hated her on Alias (which I now realize is more because of the character than the actress), then realized what an incredible actress she is by watching In Treatment and Triangle. Really excited for this.

9. shuayb says:

And what’s the news about Amanda Peet? I wish they made her a regular. I also wonder what will happen with the new States Attorney. Will we see Kresteva taking office?
    I hope that this Melissa George’s character isn’t going to sleep with Peter. I like Peter and Alicia.
    Also are we forgetting the fact that Alicia plans on leaving L/G for Argos n Associates. So how would Will be ok that? I doubt Will would forgive Alicia and hence even if Melissa George’s character was there to entice Peter this wouldn’t affect a possible Will/Alicia renewal. Just more heartache for Alicia.

10. Caro says:

Oh noooo, not again! Why oh why do writers think the only thing that’s interesting to watch is adultery?! It’s more challenging and therefor interesting to watch twi people making their marriage work! Want to add more drama -> make them work on it after betrayal, like Peter and Alicia! This show is too good to turn it into some soap where people are together, break up, get together again and break up again!!! :-(

• Cynthia says:

maybe since everyone assumes he’ll cheat the twist will be that he won’t

• James Butler says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. there a marriage worth saving especially when there are children. Alicia has everything to lose and nothing to gain with Will. Any way it goes Will won’t lose anything because he has nothing to lose.

• Christine says:

Peter is a cheating , lying and criminal scumbag. And he acts so self righteous and entitled that i just hope soon Alicia will be smart enough to finally get rid of him. It has nothing to do with Will but everything with her breaking free from this “marriage”. By the way over 80% of men who have cheated will cheat again. Add to that that Peter was a serial cheater and liar i would increase the odds even more upwards.

• itmatters says:

May I ask about the percentage of how many people will cheat again if they have suffered from serious punishment like 10-month imprisonmnent/ten years sentence in prison, stepdown from public office, and almost loss of everything including their wives kicking out of them and sleeping with other men?
          I do believe people can grow and change, that is why Peter was elected again as State’s Attorney (even governor) bacause the majority of voters trust him.
          By the way, if it is not an adultery for Alicia to sleep with will,it is definetely not any infidelity for Peter to hook up with the in-house councel because they are still seperated, right?

• Andrea says:

Peter is a cheating , lying and criminal scumbag

I actually agree with this, but I find Alicia/Peter infinitely more complex and complicated. I also find Will to be a much better character when he and Alicia aren’t together or trying to be together. I think Alicia knows Peter for exactly who he is, and their union is a messy, political partnership with a bit of love still thrown in. I don’t need The Good Wife to turn into Scandal where a political drama has become hijacked about who is sleeping (or not sleeping) with who because I really don’t care. I’m more interested in the political and personal maneuvers that don’t have to do with the bedroom.

• Carol says:

Ever since Peter lost EVERYTHING he’s been trying to chance and be a better man for his family. He hasn’t shown in one single moment that he would cheat her again. He didn’t slept with anyone even when they were separated! How can you tell hw will cheat again? He sees now how wrong it was of him, and he regrets it. And most important Alicia has forgiven him! I think that’s what really matters, he loves her, he wants to change and she’s giving him another change because she believes in them and because she loves him too!

11. Lucy says:

It’s all about the triangle. Again. Yawn.

12. Faisal says:

Perfect show for Melissa..I also wanted her to stay in Grey’s, but it wasn’t meant for her, I guess.

13. Marie says:

Not a fan of this actress.

14. A says:

I’ve only ever seen her on Grey’s Anatomy and I didn’t enjoy her one bit. Hopefully this will be better.

15. Liz says:

Ugh, she was bad in Alias, she was terrible in Grey’s (so much so that they got rid of her character pretty soon), so I don’t want to see her in the Good Wife!

• Kaan says:

Shonda Rhimes wanted her because she was extremely impressed by her Golden Globe-nominated acting in In Treatment. Just to untrue your statement. :)

16. Suzanne says:

Love her. Can’t wait. Also looking forward to the next iteration of Hunted.

17. Holly says:

Great news! I like Melissa George.

18. Kaan says:

Give this woman a proper major role already!!

19. Carol says:

This is ridiculous. Peter is not stupid, he won’t sleep with some random girl after 5 years trying to prove that he’s changed. This speculation is nonsense, I think the writers can do better.

20. Andie says:

Not a huge fan but maybe I’ll like her better when her character isn’t ruining Alias.

21. redjane12 says:

Excellent news… Honestly Peter’s been trying to atone for how many seasons now? I think it makes sense that with the new rush of power becoming governor he may be sick of being reminded of what a rascal he was and just acts as a rascal once again… Come on, wouldn’t that be fun?

22. Sarah says:

This is terrible news for me. I’ve disliked Melissa George since her Home and Away days. I tried to watch Hunted, but she was so awful I turned off. This is as bad as the pretty but wooden Michelle Ryan joining Covert Affairs! So disappointing.

23. Lisa says:

It’s only a matter of time before Peter cheats again! Let him hook up with this new character and then have Alicia finally come to her sense and dump his worthless and lying butt! Then maybe we’ll get to see a real relationship between she and Will! I am starting to worry that Good Wife will be like SMASH and tease the relationship to keep viewers but never deliver which is really rotten and leaves a bad taste in your mouth for the network that allows it!

• Mary says:

It’s so sad you think like that. You’ll never fully appreciate this amazing show because you choose to be so narrow-minded and can’t understand what character development means…

24. bobbie says:

The Good Wife usually has the best guest stars. I hope Carrie Preston shows her face again. Just love her in her role here.

25. Karen says:

Please, PLEASE don’t have Peter cheat with this new woman . . . I’m really rooting for Peter and Alicia together – I have never liked her with Will. I want the Florick family all together in their old house:)

26. elisacordovar@hotmail.com says:

She needs some serious vocal therapy sessions. She sounds like she has laryngitis…or is this her attempt to play up the sexy angle to her character?- either way, it’s seriously annoying.
    As far as any potential affair with Peter, this may prove rather difficult since she’s on the verge of vomiting every 5 minutes, or saying she ran out of pop tarts. Sorry, I don’t care how pretty you are, getting thrown up on puts a damper on any man’s hard on, I suspect (or am I wrong?)

27. Jackie Moran says:

She’s such a terrible actress, it’s lowering the quality of the show. They need to take her off!