Why Did Dome Halve a Cow, Man? Defiance Too Dressy? OT for Goodwin Games? And More Qs!

Popular TV Shows 2013We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including Under the Dome, Defiance, Graceland and Rookie Blue!

1 | On 666 Park Avenue, did the 117-year-old man really need to peel the flesh off his face to transform back to his younger self? (OK, it was cool, but we’re still having nightmares a week later!)

2 | Did  Degrassi‘s “Time of Your Life” graduation flashmob put a cheesy grin on your face, too?

RELATED | Mad Men Finale Post Mortem: Creator Matthew Weiner Talks Don’s Ouster and More

3 | For Falling Skies fans: Cochise’s sob story about never seeing his home planet’s indigenous flower > Crazy Lee’s death?

4 | If you were dating The Killing‘s Holder, would you have been charmed by his lame/creative “I celebrate Valentine’s Day on the 15th” excuse, or would you make like Liz Lemon and declare it a dealbreaker?

5 | Were you able to predict the outcome of this week’s Food Network Star the minute Lovely inexplicably decided to make donuts using store-bought pizza dough? (Or did you predict this a few weeks back, when she introduced herself as Lovely?) And what’s with wannabe HGTV Star Anne always losing things? First the bed linens, now big ol’ drapes….Popular TV Shows 2013

6 | Did Mad Men‘s new logo for Sterling Cooper & Partners give you a sudden urge to try your hand at Plinko or bid on the Showcase Showdown? And who’s going to be the one to tell Matthew Weiner that James Wolk (aka Bob Benson) has a new CBS comedy and therefore may not be readily available for Season 7?

7 | Is that Poppy Montgomery hosting HGTV’s Renovation Raiders? No? Regardless, can someone do something to get the “target” more excited upon discovering their home’s surprise makeover? We’ve seen people more thrilled by a “20 cents off” coupon.

8 | Didn’t Nik Wallenda have something less… sail-like to wear during his stroll through a windy canyon?

9 | Better summer guilty pleasure: ABC’s Mistresses or Lifetime’s Devious Maids?

10 | On Switched at Birth, why doesn’t Daphne realize her new love interest, Jace, is really pretentious and not a charming coffee barista? Can we bring back Noah?

RELATED | Spoilers for Revenge, Teen Wolf, Under the Dome, POI, True Blood, Suits and More

11 | Still chilled by Under the Dome‘s bisected cow? But didn’t the anatomy seem… off? Also, would there be a lock on the outside of a fallout shelter, as in where Junior imprisoned Angie? And just because Julia had a generator, did she really need to turn on every light in her house while giving Barbie the nickel tour?

Popular TV Shows 201312 | Where did the Defiance wedding guests dig up all their resplendent and impeccable fashion finery? Are there enough formal affairs in the dystopian future to merit tasking the few living seamstresses/tailors with creating anything other than utilitarian garb? That said, how adorable was “dressed up” Irisa? But did this week’s episode kinda OD on the ice cream bar and Dodge Charger commercials? (Was there even a third advertiser?)

13 | Wasn’t it nice to see Mad Men shlemiel Ben Feldman get the girl on Major Crimes?

14 | Did any Pretty Little Liars fans think those masks actually resembled Alison and Melissa?

15 | Where was the love for 2 Broke Girls‘ Beth Behrs — she didn’t even get a mention! — during So You Think You Can Dance‘s Prancercize spoof?

VIDEO | So You Think You Can Dance Season 10 — Behind the Scenes of Top 20 NappyTabs Dance

16 | Fox’s Goodwin Games may have been DOA, but didn’t this week’s adorable scenes between Becki Newton and Adam Rodriguez as childhood buddies-turned-adult crushes make you wish the network would option the duo for a new romantic comedy? Or should Fox reconsider saving Games, even if it would mean an abrupt midseason Scandal exit for Scott Foley?

17 | Is it wrong that we’re far more excited over the prospect of a Cam-Mitchell wedding on Modern Family than we ever were for Jay and Gloria’s new baby?

18 | Which Big Brother 15 contestant is more annoying: pageant coordinator GinaMarie, or self-obsessed Jessie?

19 | Is it a credit to Necessary Roughness guest star Garcelle Beauvais’ looks that when she was intro’d as Sinqua Walls’ mom, we were like, “Whaaaat?!”

Rookie Blue Season 4 Spoilers20 | What’s the verdict on Rookie Blue‘s newest addition, Chloe Price? Is she too kooky for her own good? Or adorably kooky?

RELATED | Spoilers on HIMYM, Criminal Minds, Dexter, Psych, True Blood, Rookie Blue and More

21 | Can USA Network post Graceland‘s sauce recipe online, please? And granted, we’re talking about Mia Kirshner — but would Johnny have risked bedding the “marijuana farmer” knowing, as had been earlier established, that his fake tattoos ended at the waistline?

22 | Anyone else wish Tabatha Takes Over had ended its stellar fifth season with a traditional take-down episode as opposed to a feel-good, conflict-free, glorified clip show?

23 | Whose testimonial from HBO’s Out List most moved you? (Our pick: Scissor Sisters’ Jake Shears)

24 | Can we all agree that HBO’s handling of James Gandolfini’s death — including but not limited to assembling and disseminating dozens of statements from the cast and producers, overseeing funeral arrangements and running those simple-yet-tasteful on-air tributes — has set a new standard for classy celebrity farewells?

25 | Has Geico’s “Hump Day” commercial forever changed the way you perceive Wednesdays?

TAGS: , , ,
GET MORE: 20ish Questions, Burning Questions, Commentary

1. Mary says:

I didn’t pay attention to the anatomy of the cow in Under the Dome. I was too busy being grossed out!

• wordsmith says:

I’ve never actually seen a cow cut in half before, so for all I know it could have been quite accurate. When everything is still “fresh and juicy”, so to speak, the individual parts may not be distinguishable.

• ajintexas says:

I thought it was a good effect for TV. When the truck hit the dome I thought for sure the driver would splatter everywhere, but nope. The Nik Wallenda stunt, I thought it would be silly. I was LITERALLY glued to my TV for the whole 22-23 minutes thinking he was going to fall. Impressive.

• wordsmith says:

I can understand being excited by Nik Wallenda’s stunt, but you should be more careful with your glue if you are literally gluing yourself to the TV.

• PitchPerfect says:

I felt weirdly disappointed that the halved-cow didn’t look like that “cuts of beef” diagram from home economics. Instead of being neatly sectioned and color coded it was a eye searing mess, but also a good reminded that we’re in Steven King territory.

2. Simon Jester says:

I actually love that hump day commercial… and I don’t care if nobody agrees with me!

3. Dee says:

On Falling Skies , where did they get all those Hershey bars?

• wordsmith says:

Didn’t you see the commercial where the scavenger team falls through into the storage area full of chocolate? As product placement goes, it’s not exactly subtle, but it could be a lot worse.

4. Newo says:

18. It’s hard to choose who is worse, so i’m just going to leave everyone with this exchange from the live feeds “Jeremy saying he wishes he had an Australian accent. GinaMarie: “Do they speak English? “

• Magically Suspicious says:

As someone who watches the live feeds, the answer to “Who’s more annoying?” question is Aaryn. One million times….Aaryn. She’s horrible.

5. M. says:

9) I actually liked the premiere of “Maids” AND the episodes of “Mistresses”.

Both are definitely guilty pleasure shows.

Even though knowing the original UK-version of “Mistresses” diminishes the cliffhangers & twists for me I’m surprisingly OK with it. That has to say something.

6. Janie says:

i had the same exact thoughts about under the dome….the inside of the cow was just meat…no organs to speak of….and gross too…..and why have a lock on the outside of a fallout shelter if you’re not using it for something else….and turning on all the lights….ridiculous

• Jason says:

It makes sense to have a lock on the outside, especially if you were to use it to store things when not in its emergency use function, same principle as having a lock on your backyard shed.

• wordsmith says:

That explains the padlock on the outside, but wasn’t there also a deadbolt on the outside of the inner door? That one is harder to explain.

7. BayouShaman says:

Um, on Graceland, Johnny specifically stated to Dale ‘Aren’t you glad I have them do the lower part, too?’ or something like that when they were at the farm and he was hitting on her.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah – that line went by quickly but it was definitely in there. Apparently Charlie ended up getting a little personal with Johnny and the airbrush.

• wordsmith says:

That said, Johnny has no excuse for getting sweaty with a perp when he knew his tats weren’t waterproof.

• Danyelle says:

No, I thought Briggs told him there was no time and need, and when he asked for the chupacabra on his butt cheek, Charlie laughed him off.

• wordsmith says:

Yeah, that was where that scene ended, but later on, at the farm, Johnny mentions the lower body ink to Dale, so apparently he got the extra work done somehow.

• Fido says:

If he is just following his Dad’s ‘hobby’ of keeping people captive in the shelter then of course said shelter would have a lock on the outside.

8. 2. thank you for mentioning degrassi!
    11. fallout shelter would have a lock to keep the supplies from getting stolen? and to keep neighborhood kids from using it as a make-out spot

• Becca says:

Sorry, but the slidebolt lock on the outside makes no sense. What if you actually had to use the fallout shelter, someone could lock you into it if they were pissed off they weren’t allowed in.
      While a padlock hasp on the outside might make sense to keep out people when it wasn’t in use to prevent the theft of the supplies stored there, it would have to be one that also couldn’t be locked when you were inside for the same reason.

Plus the sociopath boyfriend is ridiculous as is much of the show, I won’t be back. Since no one can hear what’s going on the other side, that means the air inside will get more & more impossible to breathe, like a submarine where the air scrubbers have failed. Everyone inside will eventually die as both CO & CO2 will build up suffocating them. The water is also stuck inside & will become polluted as there’s no way to filter it, even if there are a water filtration plant & sewage treatment plant, those will run out of the chemicals needed to operate them.
      I also read the plot summary of King’s book on Wikipedia & the ending is absurd.

• Rob says:

Absurd? Guess you didn’t like the Men In Black endings either.

• R says:

Smart people could conceivably (and have) filtered water and human waste without chemicals in closed loop systems. Interestingly enough, of all the information out there about Biosheres and humans in a terrarium (like bioshere 2 in Arizona) I couldn’t find anything about Carbon Monoxide. One would hope they would stop driving around, but hey…it is a lot like Earth isn’t it?
        Cardon Dioxide may be a problem but previous experiments, given proper usage like not driving or starting factories, the plants would be able to handle most of the CO2, though it may be a little stuffy. People would adapt.
        While more in depth stuff could be discussed, this isn’t the forum. Just know that green plants scrub CO2 from the air and produce oxygen. Water can be filtered and cleaned without chemicals and people are currently living with systems that do this in homes in the Southwest.

9. wordsmith says:

12) Dressed up Irisa was kind of adorable, but was it just me, or did Stephanie not have her Irathi contacts in during that scene? Or maybe Irisa WAS wearing contacts for some reason?

• dolleyes says:

I think they were in on the show, but you can’t tell from the pic. Defiance trades with other settlements and has a thriving post-apocalyptic shopping district, so I’m sure they bought, bargained or borrowed their finery. Hey, the bride nearly had to wear an iron mask as something borrowed.

10. Margaret says:

I kind of like that Chloe has no filter, the scene of her telling the potential suspect to show them his butt (they were looking for a specific tattoo) made me laugh out loud! I’m intrigued by her partnership with Dov, he needs a lighter storyline after last season. It will be fun to see him balance this flirtation with the fact that she’s Frank’s goddaughter.

11. Babar says:

I had been interested in The Goodwin Games ever since it was ordered to pilot and I really like the episodes so far. I do hope FOX decided to save it, even if it for the summer next year.

• wordsmith says:

I know there’s pretty much zero chance of the show being extended, but I agree – I’d gladly take more of that Goodwin Games magic in any form they choose to deliver it.

• Kellie says:

Same here!

• KenBud says:

Agreed. This Goodwin Games is sweet and has an original premise. I was surprise how fun it is. Yet again another reason why TV execs don’t make the best decisions sometimes.

12. bobbie says:

If I were dating Holder? We could celebrate on the 15th!

13. dan says:

5) I knew Lovely was being eliminated on Food Network Star during her first confessional of the episode when she admitted the Judges hadn’t liked her food much. She knew if she didn’t make something awesome she’d be gone and I knew she wasn’t making anything close to awesome. FNS has become very predictable (it was obvious Danuska was going home the week before Lovely and it is clear that Stacy and Chad are amongst the frontrunners).

• lyssandri says:

That, and when she was on Hell’s Kitchen a few seasons ago, she didn’t impress Gordon very much – or last very long there, either.

14. Holly says:

6) No I want Bob Benson on Mad Men season 7!

24) Agree 100 percent! The late Mr. Gandolfini deserved it too.

15. Babygate says:

4. I love, LOVE Holder. It’s pretty obvious that he forgot all about Vday and that he only has one true love.
    9. Devious Maids has only been on once so its hard to choose right now but I am loving it way more than I thought I would. Mistresses is def an addictive and guilty pleasure.
    11. When Julia started flicking on all the lights I just thought about how she was wasting the generator.
    12. I have to admit Irisa is my least favorite character in Defiance. I find her sulliness to be grating. And I’m not crazy about the young deputy either. They have zero chemistry.
    19. How fantastic is Necessary Roughness this season? I am loving Dani in this new environment. And John Stamos has def brought in a new energy. Loving it!!

16. M3rc Nate says:

3) Yes! That chick came out of no where and they pushed that story like i was supposed to care, the only reason i did was Pope’s reaction. But yes, Cochise was amazing (still hate the name Co-Cheese).

11) Im not sure, i agree with the earlier comment that its hard to tell cause of the blood. I dont fully see why there wouldnt be a lock, i mean you keep life saving items down there and you dont want someone going in and stealing them, or someone going in and squatting down there. Haha totally, it also implies she had it running before she got to her house or it automatically comes on when the power goes out, in which case she should be running home to turn it off, and only use it in emergencies.

12) I didnt have a problem with that because im sure their city has tailors, also im sure people like that have prized possessions, including great clothing that they cherish and use for special occasions. (Call me crazy but i LOVE this new trend of commercials that are based on the show your watching. Being Human has it, Defiance has it, i think some others have, i LOVE it….and i personally like the Dodge Charger commercial cause it helps you believe he would have a Dodge Charger that looks like it does in the show).

21) Lol yeah that would be fun of them to do (post the recipe). I thought he made a comment about how its good he had Charlie do some below the belt tats? Maybe im wrong, but anyways, my biggest issue is if shes a illegal drug dealer, and obviously fast to sleep around (his cover being a Cholo gang banger who she doesnt even know), wouldnt he be MUCH more worried about catching a STD?
    Personally i want so badly Mike and Charlie to end up together, i think they have great chemistry. Ya i get they are doing the story line of the girl hes “dating”, and im sure they will have him be into Sewinda Swan’s character considering shes the classic “hot” character…but Charlie is so sweet and helpful and and kind hearted and smokin hot and it just seems like a super strong bond could grow there, from trials by fire and feelings could slowly simmer till they heat up and they end up together.

17. Elyse says:

On Pretty Little Liars my friend and I always discuss the episodes the next day and I was telling her that I had never picked up on the fact that those maks were supposed to look like Ali… because they don’t… at all…

Now on Big Brother… GinaMarie is annoying but Jessie is worse in my opinion. I can’t stand Jessie!

18. Temperence says:

Goodwin Games is fantastic, so I’d rip Foley off the silly, tiresome ‘Scandal’ in a heartbeat for more. And, just FYI, in regards to Defiance, finery has been a symbol of wealth and status throughout history – it’s a power play. One the first things any one with status would do would be to create finer clothes… just like always.

19. PLLfan13 says:

14. The Melissa mask actually looked like Melissa but the Alison masks?…not at all! Not even a little bit.

20. Shaun says:

12)Yes,Irisa was pretty cute in that outfit….reminds me of something a drunk lady would wear.

21. Ethel says:

Hump Day Camel is almost as good as the Budweiser frogs!

22. C. says:

10) He is so unlikable. I can’t understand why Daphne would be still attracted to him after their first encounter, he’s bareley been civil to her most of the time.

23. Espotts says:

The Goodwin Games has been one of my favorite shows this summer, and I really wish it would be renewed!

24. Kristi says:

9) Mistresses couldn’t even hold my attention for a whole hour. Loved Devious Maids, though.
    14) Those masks looked nothing like Alison and Melissa.

25. Helvetica says:

26) Was I the only one thinking Russian spy Ivan’s girlfriend Eva was actually a decoy and the e-mail Fiona was going to send was actually some sort of a code to the GRU that they’re being played? I did not expect there to be an actual girlfriend.

26. Rob says:

Is anyone but me concerned that most EVERY TV show (except American Horror Story) has a TV-14 Rating? There are TV-17 and TV-R as well as TV-MA (at least) ratings?
    I have family 17 and under – there is no reason The Following or Under The Dome don’t have higher ratings. The Following should be at least R, and with the rude cow (I am no expert but I’m sure that’s not how the cow would look) Dome should be at least MA.
    With EVERYTHING TV-14 that means that parents AND networks are off the hook and we are training children, yes children, that glorifying suicide for a cult leader or getting off on a mass murder is just fine. Maybe it’s time the government stepped in on this “voluntary rating system” on television.

• tripoli says:

Perhaps you should take responsibility for what your family watches. It’s easy enough to seek out information before tuning in to determine if it is appropriate for viewing with children. There is absolutely no reason for children to watch a show like The Following. That’s on you and any other parent who allows their child to watch such content.

• Rob says:

It is NOT on me if the networks don’t follow their own ratings. Read their ratings description; there is NO WAY The Following should have any rating less than TV-R. I am sick to death of people trying to blame TV Networks’ lack of responsibility on people who “should just go away if they don’t like it. Your response shows the same lack of responsibility. You don’t have to have children to know pornographic violence when you see it and TV-14 is WAY too LOW a rating for that show and some others.

• Aleksa says:

Even the most rudimentary research on your part would have told you that The Following is about a serial killer and Under the Dome is a Stephen King story. I don’t think the ratings not being harsh enough are really the issue here.

• Rob says:

Ratings should always be a concern. There are many movies for instance that put in language just to get a “more marketable” rating. Steven King’s novel was great, engrossing and at some times a complete gross out. That doesn’t mean an adaption on TV has to have the same gross things. What’s in print has to be read to understand; TV can be “realistic” without showing extreme violence on screen. There used to be a time when stories on TV were REALLY scary WITHOUT showing any blood or guts on screen. It was called subtlety…

27. Tara says:

Goodwin Games is fantastic! Definitely one of the best shows on TV this summer. It’s disappointing FOX hasn’t done a better job of promoting it / saving it. So yes, take Foley off Scandal and save the Goodwin Games!!

28. As long as the generator’s engine is running you might as well use it.

• Becca says:

No, the more wattage you use, the slower the generator will run, so it will use more gas/diesel to keep the engine running at the preset speed.

29. Sarah j says:

Goodwin Games has gotten better each episode. Please keep it in production!

30. xx says:

1) Did a tv question column really have to subject its readers to a still from the very gross scene it was complaining about?

31. I don’t have a problem with the folks on Defiance having at one nice outfit for special occasions. I just hope that the continuity folks keep track and have folks in much the same clothes the next time there is a special occasion.

I have a real problem is with NBC’s Revolution where there is way too many folks running around with brand new machine made clothes and leather goods in a world after a technological collapse.

32. cjeffery7 says:

25 – my college mascot was a camel (truth), so… no. wednesdays have been spoiled for me for many years.

33. KevyB says:

Yes, it’s totally wrong to be more excited for a Mitchell/Cam marriage. I’m more excited for a Mitchell/anybody-else-in-the-entire-world marriage.

34. NE says:

Usually when I hear a show has been cancelled I won’t finish recording the final episodes, let alone spend my time to watch any I’ve already recorded. But I just couldn’t bring myself to cancel The Goodwin Games. I’ve enjoyed every episode and think they are really dropping the ball by not giving this show a real chance at success. I’ll watch to the end and hope something changes.