It's Official: No Season 4 For Happy Endings

Get More: Cancellations, News

HAPPY ENDINGS - ABC's "Happy Endings" stars Adam Pally as Max, Eliza Coupe as Jane, Elisha Cuthbert as Alex, Damon Wayans, Jr. as Brad, Casey Wilson as Penny and Zachary Knighton as Dave. (ABC/BOB D'AMICO)Happy Endings won’t get one: The cancelled ABC comedy is officially done and will not continue on another network, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Sony Pictures TV, which produces the series, has ended its search for a new home for the ensemble sitcom.

As we told you earlier this week, the cast’s contract options expire this weekend, and no network has stepped up to continue the quirky comedy.

A possible move to USA Network — widely believed to be Endings‘ most likely savior — was nixed earlier this month. NBC and TBS reportedly were possible contenders as well, but neither panned out.

Fans, which stage of Happy Endings grief are you in? Sound off in the comments!

Comments (106)

• This is not the happy ending I wanted.

Comment by Bubba922 – June 28, 2013 04:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • There’s the irony of life. After all, who picks up a show entitled: “Happy Endings” anyway.

Comment by Claudia – June 28, 2013 07:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • why did it have to end with no season 4

Comment by sol – September 2, 2013 07:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do I care do I care? Heck no

Comment by Pickles – June 28, 2013 04:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Then why comment?

Comment by Rob – June 28, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yet you took the time to comment.

Comment by RBotha – June 28, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Clearly you care in some form.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone must be cutting onions :’(

Comment by Guy – June 28, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Massive FAIL for ABC and the other networks that chose to pass it up.
    It will be missed :(

Comment by marge – June 28, 2013 04:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • The only failure here is Happy Endings’s failure in the ratings. The networks did the right decision business wise.

Comment by Mi – June 29, 2013 01:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Another hard blow for quality TV.

Comment by Elm – June 28, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s to bad, one of funniest shows on tv

Comment by El Mexicano – June 28, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • that totally blows!

Comment by Kat – June 28, 2013 04:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Saaaaad :(

Comment by Sandra – June 28, 2013 04:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh my… And all the Chuck Lorre canned laughter suck fests continue on. It ain’t fair.

Comment by wonderwaage – June 28, 2013 04:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Except The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are filmed in front of live audiences and feature real laughs.

Comment by John DeMayo – June 28, 2013 04:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • at gunpoint

Comment by Cynthia – June 28, 2013 04:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That doesn’t mean they don’t use a laugh track to beef up the jokes that didn’t land.

Comment by e – June 28, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Every multi-cam filmed in front of an audience does that. The people are there for a long time. If they have to do additional takes, the jokes don’t always get a similar laugh because they can see it coming. They’re not filming for 22 minutes. It’s hours. Rolling your eyes about laugh track use isn’t appropriate in that situation. Sweetening laughs is not indicative of hackery. Reserve your judgment and loathing for things like ABC executives insisting on a laugh track for the first season of Sports Night.

Comment by scooby – June 28, 2013 08:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Canned laughter was just a thing a threw in there to make my comment pack a punch. My biggest thing with the Chuck Lorre shows are that they are bad shows and rely only on fart jokes, sexual innuendo and people who say unfunny things fast

Comment by wonderwaage – June 29, 2013 04:22 PM PDT
          • All In The Family never sweetened the laughter. That was a point of pride for Norman Lear.

As for “people who say unfunny things fast”, I thought you were talking about Happy Endings. That’s what I always said about that show from day one. It’s cult following still mystifies me.

Comment by TV Gord – June 29, 2013 04:47 PM PDT
      • They feature “real laughs” to a degree… Mostly is laughing at a sign that says “laugh” Also, when retakes are done, they’ll have to plaster on the laughter…

Comment by wonderwaage – June 29, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • totally agree. I really have no apreciation for his comedies.

Comment by Vlada – June 28, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Please go die.

Comment by Carla – June 28, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Woooow, that escalated quickly…

Comment by Elm – June 29, 2013 05:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Bahahahaha! Always a great line! Well played, Elm!

Comment by TV Gord – June 29, 2013 04:48 PM PDT
  • sad

Comment by Tom Charles – June 28, 2013 04:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It got to three seasons? Not to urinate in anyone’s breakfast, but this was a very poorly written show, though filled with very attractive and amiable actors. They’re better left to pursue higher-quality opportunities. You want a tragedy? “Don’t Trust The B—-” didn’t even get the chance to get to the end of its SECOND season. And that was the most scabrously funny show on TV since Arrested Development!

Comment by DarkHawke – June 28, 2013 04:19 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • you took a piss on my fruit loops… no happy endings and now this?!

Comment by Ch – June 28, 2013 04:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Happy Endings was way funnier than Don’t Trust the B and I like both shows. Don’t Trust the B aired all of their episodes, they just moved the final 8 to the ABC website.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Also, talking smack about a show after it was cancelled and starting it with “not to piss in anyone’s breakfast but…” is just being a dick.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 07:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I dunno. Anyone who starts the day contemplating the notion of pissing in someone’s cereal is tuned into another channel, anyway. “Don’t Trust The B-” had a great first 8 episodes. Then it began to roll downhill.

On the other hand, “Happy Endings” was a series that progressively improved.
        “Happy Endings” is gone, and yet “Rizzoli & Isles” and “Franklin & Bash” endure.

Comment by filmex2000 – June 28, 2013 11:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Whoa whoa whoa. I’m sad about Happy Endings too but no need to insult 2 really great shows that aren’t even in the same genre. Good news is that we’ll get to see Coach back on New Girl.

Comment by Audrey E. – June 29, 2013 12:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • The irony is F&B is q good show, from the same producers as Happy Endings. If you watch, you’ll notice many similarities.

Comment by Zachary – June 29, 2013 06:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree with you. I think the actors were great but the writing was horrible, especially in the last season. I couldn’t believe how low they went with the characters. They became caricatures performing cheap stunts for laughs. The dialogue was silly, sloppy and lazy. Everything felt so unstructured and nonsensical. It’s almost as if the writers decided that as long as they put these hot actors together, people would just tune in so they didn’t even try. Those that love silly, vapid humor will miss it. But it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. And the fact that the show not only fail to gain new viewers in the third season took a nosedive in the ratings, didn’t help. I was a big fan from day one, but this last season just took a really bad turn and I couldn’t even finish watching. I tuned in for the very last episode because I wanted to see the 3rd sister and even that was a huge let down…However, I have a feeling that after ‘Super Fun Night’ airs, ABC will be wishing they had renewed HE instead because SFN looks bad, bad… Hope I’m wrong…

Comment by Babygate – June 29, 2013 06:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So I have to say this. I LOVED season 1 and 2 of Happy Endings. But season 3 was TERRIBLE!!! The whole Alex and Dave back together was the OPPOSITE of what the show was about. Plus the overall writing dropped WAAAAYYYY off. I’m sorry, but after the chore that was season 3, i won’t miss it. I’ll always have S1&2 :-)

Comment by emor – June 28, 2013 04:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’ll miss the show but I agree season 3 was horrible.

Comment by Asia – June 28, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree there was definitely a change in writing in season 3! I’m with you I LOVED seasons 1 and 2 (and repeatedly re-watch the episodes) but season 3 was pretty lackluster for me. I’ll still miss it but the show had gone downhill for me

Comment by jenna – June 28, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I totally agree. I could hardly stomach Season 3, and nearly vomited watching the Car Czar. All the great guest stars were gone, the show became slapstick-y, Dave/Alex didn’t work for me, it was like they totally ignored the progress the show had made.

I heard David Caspe, the creator, was more involved this season. The pilot wasn’t great, and he wrote the movie That’s My Boy. Maybe it’s his fault? Who knows?

A year ago I never thought I’d say this, but I won’t miss Happy Endings.

Comment by Zachary – June 29, 2013 06:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Oh, come on, the writing wasn’t as sharp, but terrible? Don’t you think that that’s a little harsh? “No-Ho-Ho”, their Christmas episode that year, was absolutely Ah-mah-zing.

Comment by Keith A. – June 29, 2013 07:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • No. Really. In S3 the writing was terrible. They transformed all the characters. Max went from being a lovable teddy bear to being sloppy and piggish. Some of his scenes were gag-worthy. Alex was never the sharpest of all but she had an innocence about her that was so endearing, but she became this stupid girl who became the epitome of the dumb blonde. Penny became more pathetic with a boyfriend than without and Jane stopped just being assertive and became an intolerable bully. Didn’t like that Brad lost his job and went to work at a kiddie place at all. A show for grown ups and they had him hosting kiddie parties, really ABC? The writers just killed this show. Shame… I will miss seeing this cast…

Comment by Babygate – June 29, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Sounds like I didn’t miss much when I stopped watching. I loved the first season, liked the second season a lot, but dropped it early in season 3 when I just didn’t have time to keep up with all the shows that I watched. Dave & Alex was a big reason I grew weary, mostly because I just can’t stand Dave, or at least how the actor played him. Oh well.

Comment by B – June 29, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I wanna cry, one of my fav. Comedies Of all time

Comment by Juan – June 28, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Should we Kickstarter a movie?

Comment by Mare – June 28, 2013 04:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d go in on this.

Comment by e – June 28, 2013 05:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes we should.

Comment by Steven – June 28, 2013 05:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Kickstarter’s done. After VM everyone jumped on it and now no one cares.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This sucks. I’m gonna miss the show.

Comment by Joey – June 28, 2013 04:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • man that sucks, I used to drool over the gay one. He was dreamy.

Comment by John – June 28, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Will really miss Happy Endings!!! Such a funny show with amazing cast!

Comment by Susan – June 28, 2013 04:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • least new girl fans get ‘coach’

Comment by Ch – June 28, 2013 04:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ^YES!!!!!! I hope he returns!

Comment by Freddy – June 28, 2013 04:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • It would be hilarious if he returns and demands his room back from Winston XD

Comment by ZmaX – June 28, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That would be perfect if he came back as a featured player for a few episodes;-)

Comment by feliciapenza – June 28, 2013 05:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • He should try to reclaim his room from Winston, only to ultimately move in with a different group of people in the same building, maybe some girls named Alex, Jane, and Penny.

Comment by Jack E. – June 28, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • THIS!

Comment by CultureVulture – June 28, 2013 08:28 PM PDT
    • That is not a silver lining by any means and Damon Wayans Jr. was way better as Brad.

Comment by dude – June 28, 2013 07:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooo. The DVDs it is, then!

Comment by Sarah – June 28, 2013 04:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh honestly…it’s not the end of the world…

Comment by newinkpop – June 28, 2013 04:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This has been the worst year for truly hilarious TV…All of the great comedies that were cancelled are such a loss and crappy shows *cough Two & a Half Men cough* are still on…Well, fingers crossed that DWJr’s Coach will make an appearance (or 2, or 3, or…) on New Girl!

Comment by Kari – June 28, 2013 04:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Season 3 was NOT good.I agree but overall it’s still a great lost.. I will miss it. A lot.

Comment by Monique (@Devoted2TV) – June 28, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I hate ABC.

Comment by Dave – June 28, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Why? They put it on the air in the first place. You should thank them. It’s not their fault not enough people wanted to watch.

Comment by TV Gord – June 29, 2013 04:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That sucks It was a really funny show

Comment by Taryn Groves – June 28, 2013 05:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Talk about a “sad endings” for Happy Endings. TBS would’ve given this sitcom a chance if they had to.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 28, 2013 05:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • TBS was offered the chance and they passed. See the last line of the article.

Comment by Chicago Dan – June 28, 2013 06:56 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m hoping that now Damon Wayans Jr. can make some featured appearances as Coach on ‘New Girl’. I think an arc for him in Season 3 would be hilarious. He was so great in the ‘New Girl’ pilot.

Comment by Felicia P. – June 28, 2013 05:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I can’t wait for super fun night to bomb and bomb HUGE.

Comment by Danny – June 28, 2013 05:20 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s mature.

Comment by TV Gord – June 29, 2013 04:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Crushed.

Comment by lifesanarsehole – June 28, 2013 05:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can’t believe we won’t ever get a Penny/Dave romance :(

Comment by ER – June 28, 2013 05:23 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Thank God! Hated that possibility.

Comment by Marcinho11 – June 29, 2013 07:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nuts. The little show that could (at least for two more seasons) is no more. Hope Damon Wayans Jr. shows up on New Girl hoping to crash again with Schmidt, Nick, and Jess.

Comment by Steve F. – June 28, 2013 05:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe we’ll get a new season or a movie in like 7 years??? We can only hope! Year of Penny forever!

Comment by Fabe – June 28, 2013 05:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This literally makes me sad. This is the first show I actually reaaaallllyyy wanted to get picked up by another network.

Comment by Mike Conway – June 28, 2013 06:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Nooooooooooooo

Comment by Josh Emerson – June 28, 2013 07:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

Comment by scorpo – June 28, 2013 07:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So sad, I’ll miss Happy Endings.

Comment by Mike R. – June 28, 2013 07:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is definitely not ah-mah-zing :(

Comment by Kristina Hammock (@kristinahammock) – June 28, 2013 08:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not happy. I will miss it.

Comment by Diane – June 28, 2013 08:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m sorry for the fans, I know they fought hard for it to keep running.

Comment by Babybop – June 28, 2013 08:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • i know how people feel when there shows they like get taken off
    that’s what abc family is doing out of protest iwon’t watch there
    New dramas the only one iwatched is switched at birth because
    i was already watching that one.

Comment by lisa wagner – June 28, 2013 08:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is unfortunately the least a-mah-zing news. Shups fo’ life Brad, shups fo’ life. RIP best unknown comedy on the air. Best of luck to the cast for future endeavors, casting directors and writers had better recognize your talents. Love, a forever fan.

Comment by schu – June 28, 2013 09:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Not so ah-maazing after all. This soooks! I’ll miss this show!

Comment by Priyam – June 28, 2013 09:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Disappointing news. Never truly love the show as a whole, but have found many great little moments from the show that I find to be delightful.

Comment by Quinn Mallory – June 28, 2013 10:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sadness. This show was so funny, witty, and awesome. I’ll miss it and the crazy gang.

Comment by Catherine – June 28, 2013 11:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Worst. News. Ever.

Comment by A – June 28, 2013 11:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :( This is a sad, sad day. I absolutely love this show, it’s one of the best comedies on TV. If Damon Wayans Jr goes back to New Girl, I may be consoled ever so slightly.

Comment by Ella – June 29, 2013 12:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well, shoot. I never saw the show, but I had heard great things about it. Also, I loved Casey Wilson on SNL, so I was happy to see her getting work. Sorry it had to end so soon.

Comment by Zoe – June 29, 2013 02:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Didn’t start watching ‘Happy Endings’ until half way thru the 1st season, but when I did I got caught up and never missed an episode. It’s a shame that USA or TBS couldn’t pick up this fast paced and wittily written show. Another loss.

Comment by Rbatch – June 29, 2013 04:16 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I don’t think you could take this out on ABC. They gave it a great timeslot initially but its ratings failed as fans drew away. Then, ABC rapidly moved it around and ultimately killed a show that would’ve probably been killed anyway if it would have sticked in the same timeslot.

Comment by Austin – June 29, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooooooooooooooooooo.

Comment by Carl – June 29, 2013 01:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved this show, it will be missed!

Comment by k – June 29, 2013 04:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post