It's Official: No Season 4 For Happy Endings

HAPPY ENDINGS - ABC's "Happy Endings" stars Adam Pally as Max, Eliza Coupe as Jane, Elisha Cuthbert as Alex, Damon Wayans, Jr. as Brad, Casey Wilson as Penny and Zachary Knighton as Dave. (ABC/BOB D'AMICO)Happy Endings won’t get one: The cancelled ABC comedy is officially done and will not continue on another network, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

Sony Pictures TV, which produces the series, has ended its search for a new home for the ensemble sitcom.

As we told you earlier this week, the cast’s contract options expire this weekend, and no network has stepped up to continue the quirky comedy.

A possible move to USA Network — widely believed to be Endings‘ most likely savior — was nixed earlier this month. NBC and TBS reportedly were possible contenders as well, but neither panned out.

Fans, which stage of Happy Endings grief are you in? Sound off in the comments!

1. Bubba922 says:

This is not the happy ending I wanted.

2. Pickles says:

Do I care do I care? Heck no

3. Guy says:

Someone must be cutting onions :'(

4. marge says:

Massive FAIL for ABC and the other networks that chose to pass it up.
    It will be missed :(

• Mi says:

The only failure here is Happy Endings’s failure in the ratings. The networks did the right decision business wise.

5. Elm says:

Another hard blow for quality TV.

6. El Mexicano says:

That’s to bad, one of funniest shows on tv

7. Kat says:

that totally blows!

8. Sandra says:

Saaaaad :(

9. wonderwaage says:

Oh my… And all the Chuck Lorre canned laughter suck fests continue on. It ain’t fair.

• John DeMayo says:

Except The Big Bang Theory and Two and a Half Men are filmed in front of live audiences and feature real laughs.

• Cynthia says:

at gunpoint

• e says:

That doesn’t mean they don’t use a laugh track to beef up the jokes that didn’t land.

• scooby says:

Every multi-cam filmed in front of an audience does that. The people are there for a long time. If they have to do additional takes, the jokes don’t always get a similar laugh because they can see it coming. They’re not filming for 22 minutes. It’s hours. Rolling your eyes about laugh track use isn’t appropriate in that situation. Sweetening laughs is not indicative of hackery. Reserve your judgment and loathing for things like ABC executives insisting on a laugh track for the first season of Sports Night.

• wonderwaage says:

Canned laughter was just a thing a threw in there to make my comment pack a punch. My biggest thing with the Chuck Lorre shows are that they are bad shows and rely only on fart jokes, sexual innuendo and people who say unfunny things fast

• TV Gord says:

All In The Family never sweetened the laughter. That was a point of pride for Norman Lear.

As for “people who say unfunny things fast”, I thought you were talking about Happy Endings. That’s what I always said about that show from day one. It’s cult following still mystifies me.

• wonderwaage says:

They feature “real laughs” to a degree… Mostly is laughing at a sign that says “laugh” Also, when retakes are done, they’ll have to plaster on the laughter…

• Vlada says:

totally agree. I really have no apreciation for his comedies.

10. Tom Charles says:

sad

11. DarkHawke says:

It got to three seasons? Not to urinate in anyone’s breakfast, but this was a very poorly written show, though filled with very attractive and amiable actors. They’re better left to pursue higher-quality opportunities. You want a tragedy? “Don’t Trust The B—-” didn’t even get the chance to get to the end of its SECOND season. And that was the most scabrously funny show on TV since Arrested Development!

• Ch says:

you took a piss on my fruit loops… no happy endings and now this?!

• dude says:

Happy Endings was way funnier than Don’t Trust the B and I like both shows. Don’t Trust the B aired all of their episodes, they just moved the final 8 to the ABC website.

• dude says:

Also, talking smack about a show after it was cancelled and starting it with “not to piss in anyone’s breakfast but…” is just being a dick.

• filmex2000 says:

I dunno. Anyone who starts the day contemplating the notion of pissing in someone’s cereal is tuned into another channel, anyway. “Don’t Trust The B-” had a great first 8 episodes. Then it began to roll downhill.

On the other hand, “Happy Endings” was a series that progressively improved.
        “Happy Endings” is gone, and yet “Rizzoli & Isles” and “Franklin & Bash” endure.

• Audrey E. says:

Whoa whoa whoa. I’m sad about Happy Endings too but no need to insult 2 really great shows that aren’t even in the same genre. Good news is that we’ll get to see Coach back on New Girl.

• Zachary says:

The irony is F&B is q good show, from the same producers as Happy Endings. If you watch, you’ll notice many similarities.

• Babygate says:

I agree with you. I think the actors were great but the writing was horrible, especially in the last season. I couldn’t believe how low they went with the characters. They became caricatures performing cheap stunts for laughs. The dialogue was silly, sloppy and lazy. Everything felt so unstructured and nonsensical. It’s almost as if the writers decided that as long as they put these hot actors together, people would just tune in so they didn’t even try. Those that love silly, vapid humor will miss it. But it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. And the fact that the show not only fail to gain new viewers in the third season took a nosedive in the ratings, didn’t help. I was a big fan from day one, but this last season just took a really bad turn and I couldn’t even finish watching. I tuned in for the very last episode because I wanted to see the 3rd sister and even that was a huge let down…However, I have a feeling that after ‘Super Fun Night’ airs, ABC will be wishing they had renewed HE instead because SFN looks bad, bad… Hope I’m wrong…

12. emor says:

So I have to say this. I LOVED season 1 and 2 of Happy Endings. But season 3 was TERRIBLE!!! The whole Alex and Dave back together was the OPPOSITE of what the show was about. Plus the overall writing dropped WAAAAYYYY off. I’m sorry, but after the chore that was season 3, i won’t miss it. I’ll always have S1&2 :-)

• Asia says:

I’ll miss the show but I agree season 3 was horrible.

• jenna says:

Agree there was definitely a change in writing in season 3! I’m with you I LOVED seasons 1 and 2 (and repeatedly re-watch the episodes) but season 3 was pretty lackluster for me. I’ll still miss it but the show had gone downhill for me

• Zachary says:

I totally agree. I could hardly stomach Season 3, and nearly vomited watching the Car Czar. All the great guest stars were gone, the show became slapstick-y, Dave/Alex didn’t work for me, it was like they totally ignored the progress the show had made.

I heard David Caspe, the creator, was more involved this season. The pilot wasn’t great, and he wrote the movie That’s My Boy. Maybe it’s his fault? Who knows?

A year ago I never thought I’d say this, but I won’t miss Happy Endings.

• Keith A. says:

Oh, come on, the writing wasn’t as sharp, but terrible? Don’t you think that that’s a little harsh? “No-Ho-Ho”, their Christmas episode that year, was absolutely Ah-mah-zing.

• Babygate says:

No. Really. In S3 the writing was terrible. They transformed all the characters. Max went from being a lovable teddy bear to being sloppy and piggish. Some of his scenes were gag-worthy. Alex was never the sharpest of all but she had an innocence about her that was so endearing, but she became this stupid girl who became the epitome of the dumb blonde. Penny became more pathetic with a boyfriend than without and Jane stopped just being assertive and became an intolerable bully. Didn’t like that Brad lost his job and went to work at a kiddie place at all. A show for grown ups and they had him hosting kiddie parties, really ABC? The writers just killed this show. Shame… I will miss seeing this cast…

• B says:

Sounds like I didn’t miss much when I stopped watching. I loved the first season, liked the second season a lot, but dropped it early in season 3 when I just didn’t have time to keep up with all the shows that I watched. Dave & Alex was a big reason I grew weary, mostly because I just can’t stand Dave, or at least how the actor played him. Oh well.

13. Juan says:

I wanna cry, one of my fav. Comedies Of all time

14. Mare says:

Should we Kickstarter a movie?

15. Joey says:

This sucks. I’m gonna miss the show.

16. John says:

man that sucks, I used to drool over the gay one. He was dreamy.

17. Susan says:

Will really miss Happy Endings!!! Such a funny show with amazing cast!

18. Ch says:

least new girl fans get ‘coach’

19. Sarah says:

Boooooo. The DVDs it is, then!

20. newinkpop says:

Oh honestly…it’s not the end of the world…

21. Kari says:

This has been the worst year for truly hilarious TV…All of the great comedies that were cancelled are such a loss and crappy shows *cough Two & a Half Men cough* are still on…Well, fingers crossed that DWJr’s Coach will make an appearance (or 2, or 3, or…) on New Girl!

22. Season 3 was NOT good.I agree but overall it’s still a great lost.. I will miss it. A lot.

23. Dave says:

I hate ABC.

• TV Gord says:

Why? They put it on the air in the first place. You should thank them. It’s not their fault not enough people wanted to watch.

24. Taryn Groves says:

That sucks It was a really funny show

25. Talk about a “sad endings” for Happy Endings. TBS would’ve given this sitcom a chance if they had to.

26. Felicia P. says:

I’m hoping that now Damon Wayans Jr. can make some featured appearances as Coach on ‘New Girl’. I think an arc for him in Season 3 would be hilarious. He was so great in the ‘New Girl’ pilot.

27. Danny says:

I can’t wait for super fun night to bomb and bomb HUGE.

28. ER says:

Can’t believe we won’t ever get a Penny/Dave romance :(

29. Steve F. says:

Nuts. The little show that could (at least for two more seasons) is no more. Hope Damon Wayans Jr. shows up on New Girl hoping to crash again with Schmidt, Nick, and Jess.

30. Fabe says:

Maybe we’ll get a new season or a movie in like 7 years??? We can only hope! Year of Penny forever!

31. Mike Conway says:

This literally makes me sad. This is the first show I actually reaaaallllyyy wanted to get picked up by another network.

32. Josh Emerson says:

Nooooooooooooo

33. scorpo says:

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

34. Mike R. says:

So sad, I’ll miss Happy Endings.

35. This is definitely not ah-mah-zing :(

36. Diane says:

Not happy. I will miss it.

37. Babybop says:

I’m sorry for the fans, I know they fought hard for it to keep running.

38. lisa wagner says:

i know how people feel when there shows they like get taken off
    that’s what abc family is doing out of protest iwon’t watch there
    New dramas the only one iwatched is switched at birth because
    i was already watching that one.

39. schu says:

This is unfortunately the least a-mah-zing news. Shups fo’ life Brad, shups fo’ life. RIP best unknown comedy on the air. Best of luck to the cast for future endeavors, casting directors and writers had better recognize your talents. Love, a forever fan.

40. Priyam says:

Not so ah-maazing after all. This soooks! I’ll miss this show!

41. Quinn Mallory says:

Disappointing news. Never truly love the show as a whole, but have found many great little moments from the show that I find to be delightful.

42. Catherine says:

Sadness. This show was so funny, witty, and awesome. I’ll miss it and the crazy gang.

43. A says:

Worst. News. Ever.

44. Ella says:

:( This is a sad, sad day. I absolutely love this show, it’s one of the best comedies on TV. If Damon Wayans Jr goes back to New Girl, I may be consoled ever so slightly.

45. Zoe says:

Well, shoot. I never saw the show, but I had heard great things about it. Also, I loved Casey Wilson on SNL, so I was happy to see her getting work. Sorry it had to end so soon.

46. Rbatch says:

Didn’t start watching ‘Happy Endings’ until half way thru the 1st season, but when I did I got caught up and never missed an episode. It’s a shame that USA or TBS couldn’t pick up this fast paced and wittily written show. Another loss.

47. Austin says:

I don’t think you could take this out on ABC. They gave it a great timeslot initially but its ratings failed as fans drew away. Then, ABC rapidly moved it around and ultimately killed a show that would’ve probably been killed anyway if it would have sticked in the same timeslot.

48. Carl says:

Boooooooooooooooooooooo.

49. k says:

Loved this show, it will be missed!