Paula Deen on Today: I Would Not Have Fired Me

Appearing on NBC’s Today this morning after backing out of her originally scheduled Friday drop-by, Paula Deen said that if she had stood in Food Network’s chef clogs, she would not have fired her amid recent accusations of being racist.

“Would I have fired me? Knowing me? No,” she told Matt Lauer, when asked how she would have handled the situation.

RELATED | Food Network to Drop Paula Deen After ‘Inappropriate’ Comments

Deen said she has been the target of “very, very hurtful lies,” and later maintained, “No, no I am not” racist.

“[I believe] every one of God’s creatures was created equal,” she attested. “That’s the way I was raised, that’s the way I’ve led my life.”

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

During the 13-minute Today talk, Deen contradicted the courtroom testimony she gave some 30 years ago and which surfaced this week, insisting that during a 1986 bank robbery — and only then — did she use the N-word, in addressing the African-American robber who held a gun to her head.

When Lauer inquired if there was perhaps a not-so-sweet side to her personality that she has never let her public see, one that would let slip with such racial epithets, she rebuffed the notion, saying, “I’m not an actress.”

Surveying the attacks on her over the past week, Deen suggested, through tears, “There’s someone evil out there that saw what I worked for — and they wanted it.”

Are you buying what Deen is now selling? Did her Today appearance improve her sullied image?

1. andrew says:

i’m turning off food network until she is back on

• Rebel says:

Well, I guess ur never going to watch the food network again :)

• San says:

I cannot believe the way these corporate people are acting. For Christ sake the man had a gun to her head. I would say it too if I were in that situation. Come on people, wake up. No one is perfect. I sat in my car at a red light today and the african american in the car next to me had their window down and the song they were listening to went something like “what’s up Nigga, I ain’t got a worry in the world”. It is not my particular kind of music but to each his own. I wasn’t offended and obviously they weren’t either. Paula Deen, I’m sure is a nice person and something she said over thirty years ago should not condemn her today. It is sad that our society has become obstructed with such frivalisms. Oops. I’m sorry I don’t think that is a word (frivalisms). Shoot me. WHAT WOULD SAY ABOUT A PERSON WHO IS HOLDING A GUN TO YOUR HEAD?
      THIRTY YEARS AGO. SHAME ON YOU WALMART, FOOD NETWORK, and the others that are letting her go. I’m not watching either.

• syb says:

It’s interesting to me that stress is an excuse for dropping a racial epithet. What would she have said if the robber was a white guy? You think she’d have said that? I don’t think so.

• Eli says:

Well she got me with “I is, what I is!”
      You already sound black gurrrrl!

2. rachelle says:

I’m so divided on this. I wanna give her the benefit of the doubt, but from what I’ve read, her comment about the slavery-themed wedding was from 2007. If that’s true, that’s pretty recent and I just can’t see how making a comment like that isn’t at least a little bit racist.

• Lincoln says:

We are alllllll a little bit racist. She just had the guts (though under oath) to come clean about it. I just find it laughable that Matt was the one to interview her and inquired “if there was perhaps a not-so-sweet side to her personality that she has never let her public see”…oh the irony!

• Shoukichi says:

Speak for yourself. We’re not all racist, that is a justification to make people feel okay about their hate. I don’t prejudge individuals based on ethnicity, religion, sexual identity, or anything other than their actions.

I’ll agree that it had to be difficult to admit that she has said these things, but it isn’t brave to admit to racism, it is honest. And being honest about doesn’t undo, make up for or excuse her comments.

She got exactly what she deserved.

• Maria says:

I think he said “a little bit racist” like the song lol. Anywho, it’s good to know you’re perfect Shoukichi! :)

• Steven says:

THIS, Lincoln! @Shoukichi He didn’t say we’re all racist. I think it is safe to say we all judge or have opinions based on race at some point in our life. I don’t think Paula is innocent here and she definitely deserves some of this backlash but there are far uglier/meaner/more cruel/extremely racist people out there than she.

• Katherine215 says:

Steven, what part of this quote isn’t clear? “We are alllllll a little bit racist.”
            Quit making excuses for your racism. Just because someone is “worse” than Paula doesn’t make what she says or thinks ok. So she’s only a “little” disgusting? Ok, then. That’s ok.

• tamara andre says:

You may not be racist, but you sure as hell are a judgmental little thing. Im not sure which is worse.

• NYC27 says:

Everyone says things that are inappropriate at one time or another. It’s the intent behind those comments that needs to be examined. As a gay man, I have plenty of friends who use the “f” word in my presence — do I think they are homophobic? Not at all. They’re good friends of mine. Is it insensitive? Yes. Is it appropriate? No. But it’s the culture that I live in in NYC. Is everyone that uses the “b” or “c” word a misogynist? No, probably not, but the words can still be hurtful to plenty of people.

None of us can determine if she had malicious intent when she made the comments she admitted to, but she doesn’t seem to have. For that reason, I think it may be difficult to classify her as a racist. Does it still allow us to classify her and those comments as inappropriate and to take offense to them? Of course. She said some dumb things and is a public person and now has to suffer the consequences. I don’t necessarily agree that one of those consequences should be public vilification as a racist, however.

Just my two cents.

• Jake says:

Oh Please!! Get a life…You holy than though bigot!

• Brian says:

I have a life. And I am the opposite of a bigot! Do you even know what that word means?

• San says:

Oh, and I’m sure you are perfect too.

• Brian says:

Conservatives always say, “we’re all a little bit racist.” But let me tell you… I was born to extremely racist parents, and it took years to shake the tinge of racism they bred into me. I was actually afraid of any black person I met. But I worked hard to change, because I knew that was irrational, and I did it. I don’t have any racism in ME anymore. If you want rid of your racism, you have to want to change and work towards it. It doesn’t come automatically.

• Drew says:

Yeah… it’s all the conservatives. The evil, evil conservatives. They’re the source of all the world’s troubles!

That was sarcasm, by the way.

• Brian says:

You’re a conservative. Only a conservative would try to defend a conservative point of view with no more facts than a little sarcasm.

• Drew says:

What should I defend? You never cited any actual evidence to suggest that conservatives are the racist ones. So are we supposed to start out from the point of view that it’s true, just because you said so? That’s nonsense. Your comment was uneducated, naive, and just plain silly. I’m not defending “a conservative point of view.” I’m telling you that this is not a conservative point of view. It’s an opinion, formed in the mind of a person who can’t comprehend a genuine difference of political opinion, so they resort to demonizing those who don’t share their exact political beliefs. Beware the big bad conservative! They’ll get you! Oooooooh! Halloween at your house must be boring as sh–.

You’re right. I’m a conservative. I know a lot of conservatives too. And you know how many of us are racist? None. And being the perfectly sensible person that you are, I’m sure that you’ll take that comment as evidence that racism isn’t a conservative point of view, right? Oh, who am I kidding. You’re probably forming you’re “Yes it is!” comeback even as you read this. Because in the mind of someone like you a “conservative” isn’t an actual person who can think and speak for themself. To you, a conservative is the monster under the bed whose opinions are whatever you fear the most. It’s nonsense.

• Ryan says:

I believe the “We’re all a little bit racist” came from Avenue Q which is a very liberal show. If you can listen to that song and don’t find it funny then maybe you aren’t a little bit racists. But let’s be honest, we’ve all made a joke about ethnicity or made a snap judgement based on race. It doesn’t mean you’re going around committing hate crimes.

• herbfan says:

She said it THIRTY years ago! A gun had been stuck in her face. The network says her ratings were down. They can hire someone for a lot less to fill the time. It’s a shameful, silly situation from all angles.

• Kristen says:

Good Lord… if everyone’s slip of the tongues were made public what a hate filled world we would live in. I’m not on the fence in the slightest with this. I love Paula Deen, I enjoy watching her on television. I’m sure if I ever had the chance to eat her food, I’d lick the plate clean. Everyone, and I repeat EVERYONE at some point in their life has said something out of anger or frustration or even just negligence, and regretted it immediately. That doesn’t define them as a person. Could you imagine if your worst mistake forever defined the person you were? No one would be the pillar of moral perfection.
      As for her comment about the wedding – I saw nothing rascist about that. She was trying to target a theme from a very important era in history. So, any person who requests an all male or all female wait staff should be considered a sexist then? Yes, she could’ve used a better choice of words, but I don’t think that by wanting a wedding with a southern feel, and she wanted it to be authentic, that that makes her a rascist.
      Not to mention… she has cooking shows for crying out loud. You don’t have to agree with her personal choices just to enjoy watching her cook a nice deep fried chicken. She’s not put on television to preach or teach you. She’s put there for entertainment purposes. If the world condemned one another based on every difference of personal opinion, everyone would stand alone, and that is no way to live. You can say you don’t like her b/c she wanted a themed wedding from the age of slavery, but to cancel her cooking shows (which are GREAT by the way!) b/c of it? Please.

• Rebel says:

I think the point is if she was someone not famous then who cares. But, she is famous a lot of people watch her and with that fame comes power to influence. And it’s a same “if” she is a wolf in Sheep’s clothing. Lets not underestimate famous people ability to influence the majority!

• tim says:

Yeah because the majority is dumber than dirt and wouldn’t know a rational though if it slapped them silly.

• Diane says:

I was with you whenyou said “if everyone’s slip of the tongue were made public what a hate filled world we would live in ” but when you defend Paula ‘s comments about the wedding by saying, ” she was trying to target a very important era in history ” and then say that you see nothing racist about that … Well I hate to tell you , if you’re not racist, you have some racist tendencies. You should look into that. Or we’re your statements just ” a slip of the tongue ” ?

• danceswithwolves says:

I agree with you on all you have said.

• Melodye says:

Amen to Kirsten!!!

• Eli says:

She didn’t say she wanted to throw a slavery or a plantation themed wedding, the media is twisting her words and running with it. Please read her deposition it is available at the Savannah now website

3. AmbidextrousAspie says:

Food Network and The Cooking Channel are removed from my channel list on TiVo until they also remove her sons’ shows that feature her fat, hateful face. Not that I miss much with those channels gone, LOL.

4. Juan says:

evil is a bit much, but definitely envious

5. KCC says:

So what if she is racist? Does that make her recipes any less tasty?

Also, there is a definite double-standard in the media about the use of the N word that should be addressed. Black rappers and comedians should not be allowed to get away with using it, if other people aren’t allowed to do it. The word does not change depending on whose mouth is comes out of.

And yes, I am a black female.

• Lena says:

I do not agree with black rappers using the “N” word as well. There is no reason to justify her remarks by mentioning rappers. Rappers do not represent the African American community. They do not represent me. I believe the “N” word should leave the vocabulary period in this country. Of course, I just saw another video released with Paula Deen on another news channel, so this type of behavior is the norm for her.

• Celyn says:

I agree with you. The ‘N’ word should be forgotten from all languages but the fact is that the original poster is right. There are many people (rappers, comedians…etc) that DO use the word without the backlash that Paula is getting because the consensus is that it’s okay for them to do so because they ‘are African-American’ or because ‘they don’t just make light of the African-American population, they make fun of everyone’. The double standard needs to go.

I read a comment on another blog, which the poster identified himself as an African-American male, who stated that “Paula Deen should be dunked in buttermilk and bread crumbs then deep fried for her racism. The ‘N’ words is reserved for use within my community and my community alone as a greeting to one another.” It’s these views that I think the original poster was trying to acknowledge. If it’s wrong for one person to use it, then it should be wrong for everyone.

• Jeannette says:

Thank you! Well said.

6. Not an actress? Give it up Paula. I’ve known your type all my life. You put on a sweet face to cover who you really are. You’re only upset that people have seen beneath the mask and are now going to actually hold you accountable for your bigotry. All your whining and crocodile tears won’t change the fact that you’ve shown yourself to be a despicable person. Suck it up and bow out gracefully.

• Anie says:

This…coming from someone whose reputation as a Racist Hater (esp when it comes to certain individuals of Latino descent). How ironic. The first stone thrown would most appropriately knock YOU to the ground.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

Yup. Accountability isn’t big with the rightwingers like Paula. They yell about everyone else being responsible, but when it is their turn to own up, they whine and whine.

7. Faisal says:

I really don’t like her cooking, nor like Paula, but if she is in this mess it’s the price she has to pay for who she represents, not for who she really is. Good luck but I think her good times are now gone.

8. ajintexas says:

People act as if only white people are capable of being racist. Neews flash, anyone is capable of thinking their race is superior and treating others as beneath them. There is a huge double standard in this country where anyone that is non white can utter racist insults and people laugh about it. Should she lose her job over it? Don’t know, I wasn’t there and only know what is written in the press about it. I will be honest, I don’t think I have ever met anyone in my entire life that at one time or antoher hasn’t been so pissed off at someome that they blamed it on that person’s race, usualkly with some sort of stereotype or derogatory word that they regret.

• Katherine215 says:

You need to meet better people. This “everyone does it” excuse is just that – an excuse. Everyone does NOT, in fact, do it.

• Lena says:

I don’t laugh when people in general use the “N” word. It’s disgusting period. I just find it interesting that this is the main argument certain people use to justify Paula’s actions. “Rappers use the word, so why can’t she use it to degrade a group of people??” It’s wrong if anyone uses it. As an African American woman, I actually understand the history behind the word, and I do not support rappers or racist pricks using it.

• ee says:

I’ve come across this double standard as well. It is disturbing and ill advised.

• Christy says:

Seriously though, google White Privilege. (Keep an open mind about it, you’ll find a lot of sites with language you won’t like, and having privilege isn’t a bad thing, it’s just a thing.) It’s not a double standard because newsflash, we’re not all starting out from a level playing field here. It’s not about people Being A Racist[tm] as if that’s a binary determination, it’s about people in a position of power over others contributing to a racist culture. She’s a white lady with a lot of money and influence – it’s part of her job to be as inclusive as possible. She could be as racist as she wanted without affecting too much if she was just some little ol’ lady down South, but when she decided to build an empire, she took on the responsibilities that come with it.

• ajintexas says:

Oh good God i do not need to google “white priviledge”. They should call it what it is, white guilt. It’s one of the more laughable premises liberals have come up with lately. The notion that I got a job or my place in life by being white is nonsense. The fact is it is the new world of reverse racism where people justify holding back white employees and white students based on events that happened before most of us were alive, or for being born white. It’s as stupid as holding someone back for being born black. The world in gneral is not a level playing field and no matter how much you try to force the issue you can’t make it one. Stop expecting to be handed the things the rest of us earned in our lives because you feel like you are some oppressed minority. It’s a crock.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

Your life is much easier because you are white. You sound very racist. KKK meeting later for you?

• Donna Tarver says:

You are so right. I belive that everysingle person on this planet deserves to live where they want, love who they want, and not have to put up with bigotry.The reality is bigots are everywhere, in every color and every walk of life. The only people who ever get punished for racist remarks are white. If this was a comment from long ago, why shoud she be punished now? Maybe we should paint everyone orange and only have one sex, goye. Do you think bigotry would end there? It would not, someone would be the wrong shade of orange or love the goye that is just too pretty.

9. Brend Dyer says:

I believe Paula Deen is not a racist. She has overcome obstacles and raised two great boys. I think people are being hateful and people who “live in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones.” I am behind Paula Deen 100%. I don’t cook but I love her shows and I buy her cookbooks. Brenda D

10. Tammy says:

Bless her heart! I like Paula, I do. I grew up with women like Paula. It’s not an excuse but she was raised in a time when saying the n-word as well as colored was considered acceptable. It’s not now. So do I think she has used these words in the last 10 years, yes I do. But I don’t think she is a hateful evil racist either. I think she is a product of the time and place she was raised. Being from the south myself, I have seen much worse than Paula Deen. I think Food Network was correct in letting her contract expire (she was not fired!) There has been backlash against her style of cooking and how she handled the whole diabetes thing. This was the last straw. I think there are some contradictions in her testimony and her interview. I think she is not genuinely sorry. She is sorry this has gotten out of hand and about the results of it all. But I don’t think she feels she has really done anything wrong.
    BTW – if your staff in your kitchens are using words you don’t approve of… you’re the boss Paula, tell them to stop using those words. Lead by example and I don’t think you have at all.

11. dude says:

She’s just making it worse by going back on the things she swore in court papers. I don’t believe she’s a hateful racist but I think she’s said racist things in the past. It’s a hard decision because I see both sides. I don’t think what she did warranted firing but sensitivity training and a donation to a relevant cause. However, not firing her also seems to justify what she did which would have been a PR nightmare so I understand why the Food Network did what they did.

• Daisy says:

One of the most reasoned responses I’ve read all week. Well done.

• dan says:

The other thing to remember regarding the FN decisoin is this: apparently Paula’s contract was up this month (or next month) so that may have made their decision easier. Had she been in the middle of a multi-year contract then it may have been harder to “fire” her although I assume they still would have the right to cancel her show at any time. I’m sure her contract has a “personal morals” clause (or some such language) which would allow FN to get rid of her if she did something illegal or immoral; the problem is that her use of the “n” word may not have fit into the morals clause. Therefore, they were fortunate to have this information revealed at the end of her current contract so they could easily decide not to renew it.

• Joan Schroeder says:

I think the Food Network took advantage of the situation. They have featured her for many years and are looking for new faces. She is old enough to retire anyway.

12. Amanda says:

What I want to know is if there were underlining factors for the Food Network. They could have stood by her and deflected the bad press for a couple months if they thought this was totally unlike her. Maybe there were other things at play. Plus they didn’t really fire her, they just didn’t renew her contract. Maybe they weren’t planning on renewing it to begin.

• K. says:

According to the Wall Street Journal, her ratings were on the decline due in part to her diabetes diagnosis. I think this just helped make their decision more palatable.

13. Kate says:

I also think that firing Deen was unwarranted on the face of what we know. I don’t think she’s racist, but has definitely said some unkind and inflammatory things, as everyone has at one time or another. What I think is extremely frightening is how even huge companies and networks are so afraid of the media that they bow to bullying and fire people without the benefit of the doubt. And if ANYONE thinks the media doesn’t bully companies, people and organizations into acting under pressure, you’re kidding yourself.

14. “I would not have fired me.”

That’s because, Ms. Deen, that you don’t have the sense God gave a chicken and you have no idea of what’s appropriate behavior in the workplace.

15. i think this is ridiculous. 30 yrs ago she said the “n” work when she was being threatened with her life…. so what! i cant belive she is going through this. How many songs have the word in it?? If the word is so offensive to african americans then why do so many say it? stop saying it and maybe it will disapear!

• lyssandri says:

It wasn’t just that, though. Six years ago, she apparently wanted to throw a pre-Civil War-era themed wedding for one of her relatives, including having all of the waitstaff and other serving positions be black.

16. Lily says:

I wouldn’t worry about it. She’ll be back in no time. If not The Food Channel then some place else. Maybe Ted Turner will give her a break. As for her telling Matt Lauer she is not an actress…well she’s on TV. She has to be. I’m not saying she’s right or wrong, although that 2007 themed party information touched me the wrong way, but I was never a fan of hers to begin with. I always thought her recipes were like a heart attack waiting to happen. So whatever. I love The Food Network and will continue to watch the shows I love. I’d rather watch them then the ultra conservative FOX network, which offends me a heck of a lot more.

17. Josh says:

That last line about someone “evil” kinda bugged me She’s not the victim of some meniacle underling’s plot to steal her time slot. Some guys behind the scenes, guys and girls who aren’t making millions like she does and will probably continue to do, decided they’d rather not have there names associated with her.

• dan says:

I think the “evil” Paula is referring to is the person who is suing her (and her brother). Apparently the depo testimony filed in Federal Court was “leaked” by somebody and I assume she believes that person to be evil as well.

18. Jo says:

She’s a disgusting human being.

19. The letter J says:

I’m of the opinion that word is awful, no matter who is using it. I don’t think she’s all sweetness and light, but I don’t think she’s hateful and racist either. I think she’s just a person who made some mistakes, but I do think she should accept responsibility for them, not go on the Today show and blame it on someone evil who wanted what she had. I get that she’s southern and from a different time, but come on. I if I can get my racist as all get out grandfather and grandfather in law to stop saying it, so can she. They’re both southern and in their 80s.

20. Jimmy says:

The real deal we are her customers are you going to spend your money at any place where you know they think of you as a nigg not knowing is one thing but when you hear the person admit. Well all blacks should boycott any store that sells anything that has anything to do with Paula dean

21. Buffy0531 says:

Crocodile tears don’t wash away the underlying tone she continues to have. She made an appearance the other day with a young African-American in the audience who works with her, or is her friend. She asked him to stand up, then proceeded to tell him no one could see him against the dark background. I don’t think she’s evil. I think she’s as dumb as a bag of hammers.

Actually, given that she hid her diabetes diagnosis, and continued to promote the worst possible diet and recipes, maybe she is evil…

22. Tai says:

At first. I wasn’t really paying this situation much mind. So she said the n word. I’ve heard that word so much in my life, I’ve become desensitized to it. I didn’t understand what the big deal was… Until I started reading more about what she said. The n word is quite frankly the least offensive thing she’s said in those transcripts. Wanting a slavery themed wedding? Really? And that was a few years ago so that can’t even be brushed off as “so long ago”.

I don’t think she’s racist. I think she’s just ignorant and her thinking is more than a little old fashioned. Did she deserve getting let go because of this? I don’t really know. But I know that Food Network has a right to not want her associated with their channel. Between the diabetes and now this mess, she’s causing more a negative stigma than she should. So they were right to not extend her contract.

Especially she doesn’t seem terribly apologetic for what she said. She’s more interested in playing the victim. Whatever works for you, Paula Deen. Whatever works for you. But I have a feeling it’s going to get worse before it gets better for her. But it will get better and all of this will blow over. Because people just love scandal. Once something more scandalous happens, attention will shift and she will free to plan her plantation style events and not use the n word in peace.

23. Thebrad says:

How is referring to a single person who has committed a crime against you ” degrading an entire race” . Was she not just referring to him ? The way things get blown way out of proportion is ridiculous. It doesn’t make you racist to call a single person a name,it means you consider that one specific person to be that name. If I call a woman a bitch who has wronged me does that mean I hate all women? No it means I dislike that one specific woman.

24. Ryan says:

you know what, words are words and to say one should be “banished” from our language is ridiculous. there are plenty of other so called not so nice words. they are just words. grow up folks. ruining one persona life and career over her saying a word, when murderers go free in this world? society has its priorities backwards

25. Shawn says:

I’d love for her to return to television. She’s great to laugh at. Remember when she got hit in the face with a ham a few years ago? That was the tits.

26. Lisa says:

I think it’s ridiculous that she claimed not to know if the word was offensive since she heard that word used in her kitchens. Clearly she knew the word was offensive if she herself used it to describe someone who was robbing her at gun point! You don’t reach for warm and fuzzy words at that point. (Also, I have a hard time, in general, believing anyone who offers a “just one time” deffense.)

And, since The Food Network and other partners have to think about their own image, I have no problem with them dropping her. There are consequences for offensive behavior. However, that’s not to say that she should have to pay for this forever. Hopefully she’s learned something from this and will change her way of thinking. After that happens, I wish her nothing but the best.

27. hngood17 says:

So let me get this right, we have a woman from the south, country as all get out and everyone is suprised that she said the “N” word? REALLY??????? I will agree the “slavery” themed wedding is uncalled for and if I were an ansestor (from any inslaved race) I would find that the offensive issue. I am sick and tired of hearing how whites can’t say this and that but when I turn on the radio or tv I hear cracker this and that. Just for clarification, For most of us (whites) that appear to be “whatever” about this, it’s not that we dont’ think she wasn’t wrong its that we are so sick and tired of everytime someone says something everyone crying and going on and on when all this attention should be aimed at a generation that consist of young men and women, black, white, hispanic, asian, etc. that listen to this word being said everyday by the very people who are complaining about. If this would stop I think you would see the attitude of most white americans would be much more sympathic to the issue at hand. I can say that I’ve been called cracker and honky more often than I’ve called someone a N…..— Just sayin!

• Sally says:

Very true! Who cares who said what, white is white and black is black, I’m sure if we whites look back far enough we’d fine a black person in our family tree and a black person would fine a white person in theirs, now days blacks and whites are all one anyway!!!!!!!!

• Christabelle says:

I’ve read comments like this elsewhere. Does this really happen? I’m in my 40s and with the exception of old sitcoms and Chris Rock it’s, I’ve never heard cracker or honky in my life.

28. Jeannette says:

I am no fan of Paula Deen or her cooking. However, I think all of these companies and the food network are wrong for firing her. No, people should not use the “n” word but let’s get real. Plenty of people, in the north and south do. No, I don’t endorse it or accept it. However, losing your livelihood because of it? That’s going too far and I think people protest too much. I think businesses are scared of losing customers and that’s why they are firing her. The reality is, there are plenty of businesses today being run by very high-paid execs who are racist not only in their personal beliefs but in how they run their businesses around the country and around the world. But you don’t see them canned.

Martha Stewart broke the law, albeit with white collar crime. She even went to prison and SHE never got such a backlash from companies that worked with her and her company. TO me that shows the huge hypocrisy that exists in this country.

I hope people do rally around Deen as I do believe she was unfairly targeted. I know plenty of southerners and she was just being more honest than most of them would be. Heck, I lived in a house with a man who was always making racial comments and his best friend on the planet was a black man and his family who he treated with the utmost respect and love. So, you know, racism is a lot more than what you say at times.

I’m more upset about all the white collar crime that goes on daily in the financial world and banks and more where execs steal jobs, pensions, livelihoods. And we’re focusing on Paula Deen using the N word? If folks to whom she refers still use this word, and the excuse is that they are free to call themselves that, and plenty of people carry hatred in their hearts and words for whites, asians, italians, whatever, you just can’t fire the world.

Protest by not buying products if you like (and don’t direct your hate at the companies per se that employ these people; it’s a free world.) People who make a fortune via porn online where women are shown in horrific danger and are hurt…nobody seems to feel they should NOT be allowed to do business. But everyone is getting all crazy about Paula Deen? Seriously. It’s 2013 folks.

29. bobbie says:

I have only recently tried a Paula Deen recipe and it was wonderful! (Southern Fried Chicken). I knew nothing about the woman herself until all this hit the fan. Now, I’ve read a little bit about her life, and consider her a hero (for overcoming a background in poverty). Not for using the N word, because I forgive her. All obscene words, except that one, are freely used on many television shows, and in real life, these days. I forgive her, because I think her naiveness caused her to be honest about it, expecting that speaking the truth was better than lying.
    I believe that the N-word is the only offensive word still forbidden because it’s being used as a political weapon, while all other obscene words are just thrown around like confetti. I don’t want the word to be used, but I can forgive her.
    I don’t know if she’s prejudiced, but I forgive her if she is. (as if I was God or something!!! go figure)
    We need a whole lot more forgiveness in this world. Not to mention good recipes!

30. Tee says:

I think using that word at all is disgusting, though I grew up in a different time and a different area. If she hasn’t used the word in a long time, I can’t see the point on judging her for what could have been the attitude she was exposed to until she got out in the world and experienced others.
    But I don’t really consider her a very credible person. She hid that T2 diabetes thing, which would have been fine, her business, etc, except that suddenly it is everyone’s business when she has a sponsorship deal with pharmaceutical company for diabetes? And granted, I take a fine toothed comb to her deposition, but it seemed rather different from what she owned up to on the Today show. Didn’t she also admit to using the word in racial jokes, etc? Oh well.
    She comes across as doing what she needs to in order to make a buck/save herself from losing a buck. Hey a lot of people are like that, so whatever. But if she walks out of this making a little less money than she did before, well there are bigger tragedies in the world. People get wound up over the weirdest stuff.

• josh gowatskxy says:

take the plank out your own eye before you notice that of your brothers…..I really think her good out weighs her bad,can all of you say the same???

31. Mike says:

You all should read the complaint filed by the plaintiffs lawyer in the case involving Deen and her brother (Bubba) who’s a REAL piece of work. He is the epitome of a redneck racist Southerner and the plaintiff complained REPEATEDLY to all those in Deen’s corporate structure including her and they never did a thing about it. BTW, the plaintiff is a white woman who was overpaid and underworked and was trying to look out for the staff and the restaurants where she worked who were mostly people of color. One case in point. They had to enter the restaurant thru the back door and couldn’t use the restroom everyone else used. Not racist eh? And Deen knew all about it

• Tai says:

That’s the problem. A lot of people aren’t actually reading about this. It’s not difficult to find the information. People are assuming that this is all about her saying the n word once thirty years ago when it’s not. It’s much, much worse than that. The plaintiff in this suit is not the only person who has filed a suit against for this type of behavior either. And the second suit I read about was as recent as last year. Again I stand by my earlier comments, I don’t think she’s racist. I just think she’s ignorant. But I really wish that people would stop commenting that this is only about the n word usage. It’s really, really not.

• Stan says:

Thank you for saying this. I don’t believe in crucifying someone and people do make mistakes. But this doesn’t appear to be a one time thing for her.

• MLO says:

Another point to consider.. the person filing the suit, is a white woman.

• F says:

And yet you’re advocating to take as truth the allegations in a complaint that has not been proven — it’s just allegations. And as a management-side employment lawyer, in my experience many such complaints may have a kernel of truth and a boatlod of hyperbole, because the more egregious the allegations, the higher the payout. It’s why I am never surprised when the allegations increase between the complaint, and the deposition, and the trial. So judge Paula all you want, but don’t do it based on the premise that everything she has been accused of is gospel, either.

32. Mike says:

I’d like to update my previous post. She was UNDERPAID and overworked

33. Herbfan says:

Food Network once fired Robert Irvin, the big-eared, muscled chef of “Dinner: Impossible.” It was something about his resume. The replacement host didn’t bring in ratings. Shortly, Irvin was back. That kind of thing may happen with Paula Deen. I’ve envisioning a show with Deen and Whoopi Goldberg or Wanda Sykes.

34. Here’s my idea: All the networks, movie studios and music companies should fire everybody who has ever said, done or thought something stupid, in public, in private, or just in their thoughts. When we’re done, we can all sit around and watch test patterns and listen to crickets.

Not making excuses for Ms. Deen, there aren’t any – what she said and did was pretty dumb. But haven’t we all got more important things to worry about than what some silly woman said however many years ago?

35. Max says:

I don’t believe her. She is a racist. Paula you are getting what you deserve. Plain and simple.

Oh PS, Matt Lauer, who are such a worthless interviewing arsehole. He questions were so cluelessly structured.

36. lyn says:

I look at it this way. She has pots of money. So, if her career is over, so what? She’s old enough to retire.

37. sccates says:

Own up, Paula! Now she’s starting to blame others. I will forgive, but I have lost respect for her.

38. Jake says:

Oh please..You cannot go around and say you have never said anything negative about another race. Should you say it? No. Should Paula have been fired “NO”. This whole things is a bunch of crap…It is totally based on the fact she is a celeb…People need to move on and get over it..There is far more troubling issues to worry about than what someone said years ago.

• Stan says:

She was not fired. Her contract was up and they decided not to renew it. Was it based on this incident? No doubt but there were probably a lot of other factors as well. Food network is a business and they have the right to get rid of someone who brings them bad publicity. Also I suggest you read the complaint. Its a lot more than something just said years ago. And yes we all know there are more important things in the world. But this is an article about Paula so of course we are discussing it.

39. Devin says:

So Bill Maher can call Palin a C**t, and her son Retarted, but Paula can’t get a break after she says this? Yes, it’s not great, but she’s from the South, and at her age, she grew up hearing it! My grandparents say it, and my grandpa is black.

• AmbidextrousAspie says:

For most, “they do it too” stops being an excuse at age three. But then, Deen seems to have the intellect of a two year old, as do her defenders.

40. AmbidextrousAspie says:

Deen is the worst sort of money-grubbing lowlife–just look at her, with her diabetes, still promoting her unhealthy foods, while raking in money from pharmaceutical companies. Hope she saved some of that money, because the gravy train has slowed down.

Not shocked to see rightwing types defending her, they aren’t big on personal accountability for themselves or those they support.