Happy Endings Update: Show Inching Closer to Death – Will an 11th Hour Savior Step In?

Get More: Cancellations, Renewals

DAMON WAYANS JR., ELISHA CUTHBERTThe Grim Reaper is closing in on our beloved Happy Endings.

More than a month after being cancelled by ABC, the acclaimed comedy remains homeless — and time is not on the show’s side.

RELATED | Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s Still on the Bubble?

Sony’s contractual hold on the cast will expire later this week, and sources confirm that there are no serious offers on the table — broadcast, cable, streaming or otherwise — to keep the show alive.

A possible move to USA Network — widely believed to be Endings‘ most likely savior — was nixed earlier this month. Sony, however, continued to pound the pavement (NBC and TBS were reportedly in the mix, although both were considered long-shots).

RELATED | Exclusive: Will Happy Endings‘ Damon Wayans Jr. Return to New Girl?

All hope is not lost though. Not yet anyway. “A lot can happen in three days,” an optimistic Endings‘ insider tells TVLine. “Sony will fight until the bitter end.”

Comments (81)

• NETFLIX!!!!

Comment by sandy – June 26, 2013 01:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Netflix will bring it back in seven years with over a dozen new episodes.

Comment by Michael Sacal – June 26, 2013 01:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly!!!

Comment by Demarcus – June 26, 2013 01:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • NO – NBC should grab it!!! This would most definitely help their image and ratings!!!! Come on NBC show us viewers you really do have a heart :)

Comment by Belle – June 27, 2013 08:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sandy…time to let it go. This past season had chuckles, but couldn’t compare to first season which was the reason we all fell in love with the show. Great cast, hope to see them in something new soon.

Comment by Reality – June 27, 2013 10:02 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anything! Please this show and cast are fabulous! Save it!

Comment by Leah – June 26, 2013 01:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think it’s time to let it go

Comment by m – June 26, 2013 01:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You shush! Don’t even think that! It’s too amazing a show!!!

Comment by Philipp – June 27, 2013 02:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agreed. I understand the love, but seriously, dead is dead. Let the show die with dignity.

Comment by Mel – June 27, 2013 07:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • NEVER!!! If Jericho can make a come back from fan support – so can Happy Endings!!!

Comment by Belle – June 27, 2013 08:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ya….how’d that work out? Six seasons and a movie? Nay… :)

Comment by Reality – June 27, 2013 10:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew this show was dead the moment USA passed. It’s a shame, it really was one of the best comedies on television but its just not meant to be. Years from now, people will discover this on DVD or Netflix and wonder “why’d this get cancelled?”

Comment by dude – June 26, 2013 01:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I still want to punch people who say that about Firefly.

Comment by Patrick – June 26, 2013 03:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, canceling Firefly was a terrible decision. :-P

Comment by Meg – June 27, 2013 03:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • same, it gives me comfort knowing Sony cares this much about the show though

Comment by jenna – June 26, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Maybe Wayans Jr can come back to New Girl as Coach…?

Comment by Meg – June 26, 2013 01:30 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What would he really add to New Girl though?

Comment by dude – June 26, 2013 01:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I think he could add a lot. We have all seen these characters(Esp Nick and Schmidt) grow a lot in two years, but it’s been gradual for all of us and them… It would be fun to see someone who hasn’t been around for awhile to react to the changes in the characters, not to mention the changes in the loft dynamic.

Comment by Meg – June 27, 2013 03:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I would love that. As much as I’ve come to embrace Winston, Coach was one of my favourite parts of the original pilot. I love Wayons Jr. and am hoping for a guest appearance or two at least.

Comment by Eric – June 26, 2013 03:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I would like to see Coach back part time! Coach was my favorite part of the pilot and it took me a long time to warm to Winston but he has really become my favorite. Invite him back New Girl. Make it happen.

Comment by Ari – June 27, 2013 07:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They’ve already said he’s going to be in at least a couple

Comment by a – June 26, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He and Jake just did a movie together recently, so he’s definitely still in the New Girl loop. I think we’ll see a guest appearance for sure.

Comment by Erin – June 26, 2013 03:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Rocking back and forth in fetal position whilst mumbling prayers of salvation for this show

Comment by rapscallions – June 26, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SAVE HAPPY ENDINGS! This is THE BEST comedy show on television!

Comment by Michael Pantoustier – June 26, 2013 01:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • As much as I’d love for TBS or Netflix to pick this up, I’m going to say my goodbyes. Hope is all but lost now. At least we have 57 solid episodes by which to remember it by.

Comment by Eric – June 26, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TBS come on, should be nice and easy just like cougar town!

Comment by Torontogirl98 – June 26, 2013 01:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • They can’t save everything. Although quite honestly, if they dumped Cougar Town to go after Happy Endings, I wouldn’t be upset.

Comment by Bob – June 27, 2013 09:37 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • SOmeone please save this show!!!!

Comment by Grey – June 26, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Has there ever been a show that was canceled, then saved by another network the last hour, and a huge success thereafter?

Comment by Lincoln – June 26, 2013 01:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Who cares. The show isn’t that good.

Comment by Mary Cefalu – June 26, 2013 01:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • You’re right, it’s GREAT.

Comment by D'Arcy – June 26, 2013 01:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Better Off Ted was far better

Comment by Keith – June 26, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This show dies. And all the Chuck Lorre suckfests for idiots will live on.

Comment by Waage – June 26, 2013 01:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Comeee onnnnnn; somebody! Please!

Comment by Courtney – June 26, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is the opposite of a-mah-zing. It downright sooks.

Comment by maltru – June 26, 2013 01:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I can’t have 30 Rock AND Happy Endings ending at about the same time! That would be too huge a comedy hole left in the world of television!

Comment by Philipp – June 27, 2013 02:20 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • That’s too bad. It was an ok show. I would watch it when I was home, which isn’t very often. Although it’s an ok show, I’m not sure another network picking it up would do much good. USA already has a ton of original programming & it seems to me it would be difficult to find a place to put it. TNT picked up Southland & it lasted a couple of seasons, but it’s gone now. TBS picked up Cougar Town. I didn’t think it was that good when it was on ABC & I don’t see any changes that will keep it on TBS much longer.

Comment by Ron – June 26, 2013 01:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YES KEEP FIGHTING SONY!!!!!

Comment by Bernice Fonge – June 26, 2013 01:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • no loss. Welcome back Coach and Kim Bauer.

Comment by Joe – June 26, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I hated Kim. Happy Endings made me love Elisha Cuthbert, so pluh-ease, don’t make me hate her again.

Comment by Ben – June 27, 2013 11:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come TBS!!! Come on Netflix!!! What about Hulu??? Lets save this amazing show!!! I need my Jane, Alex, Dave, Penny, Max and Brad gang!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – June 26, 2013 01:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Show isn’t as much worth saving as Body of Proof.

Comment by Ethel – June 26, 2013 01:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Eh, it got ruined this season after getting rid of half of the cast & bringing on the stupid long-lost boyfriend

Comment by Sheila – June 26, 2013 02:29 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • some one needs to step up and save this fantastic show! tvline can you use one of your 3 wishes????

Comment by david – June 26, 2013 02:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let’s start trending #SaveHappyEndings

Comment by Prue – June 26, 2013 02:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hoping for a miracle. Someone, anyone please save the show!!! :(

Comment by Josh Emerson – June 26, 2013 02:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Where do i need to send money? Kickstarter? Something? Bueller?

Comment by Steven – June 26, 2013 02:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I watched Happy Endings. I loved Happy Endings. I’m sad it was cancelled. It was cancelled with a dignified final episode, though, and that’s enough for me. Now the real question is whether or not S3 will get a DVD release. It’d better!

Comment by Paul – June 26, 2013 02:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • well this is bad news :(

Comment by Taryn – June 26, 2013 02:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Is FXX, the FX’s companion network, launching in September, who is targeting this shows demo even looking at it?

Comment by Nth – June 26, 2013 02:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WGN America needs to pick this up.

Comment by Steve Smith – June 26, 2013 02:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Come on Sony! Don’t fail us now!

Comment by M – June 26, 2013 02:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Let’s be honest, if the show were THAT good, Sony would find a way to put it into syndication with new episodes. You remember syndication, right?

Comment by Bob – June 27, 2013 09:40 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :’(

Comment by Mike R. – June 26, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m losing hope! And I never wanted to. I love this show soooooo much and I wish everyone could see it for the gem that it is.

Comment by rachelle – June 26, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Somebody. Please.

Comment by Dex P – June 26, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Sad about this update. I wish TBS or Netflix would save the show.

Comment by Joey – June 26, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Damages was saved by DirecTV at the last minute a few years back, so I still have some hope for Happy Endings! Please someone save this gem! TBS, Netflix, anyone!

Comment by Dave – June 26, 2013 04:28 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WHOSE BODY DO WE HAVE TO SELL TO KEEP HAPPY ENDINGS ON?!?! MINE? FINE!

Comment by Kalee – June 26, 2013 05:05 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • PLeeeeeeeeeeeeeease someone save it! It’s too beloved to have it end now! Give it a chance!

Comment by schu – June 26, 2013 05:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ratings over Quality will always win in this world.

Comment by Amelia – June 26, 2013 05:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If this show doesn’t get picked up, I have wasted my 21st birthday wish :(

Comment by Prayingforhappyendings – June 26, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What’s terrible is that ABC saved THE NEIGHBORS and not this amazing show

Comment by Eduardo – June 26, 2013 07:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It wasn’t that amazing.Ben and Kate was funnier.Maybe if they let the guys act like guys

Comment by Keith – June 26, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Ben and Kate funnier? Definitely not.

Comment by Steven – June 26, 2013 08:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I think The Neighbors had better ratings and was more compatible with Last Man Standing.

Comment by tardis repairman – June 27, 2013 06:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • :(

Comment by Ella – June 26, 2013 09:59 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • WTF? This is so depressing! One of the best comedies on t.v., and can’t find anyone to pick it up. So bummed right now. I’d watch it no matter where it went.

Comment by Brandy – June 26, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’ve loved Happy Endings from the beginning, but I’ve lost all hope for it to be saved. Sometimes the television industry just plain sucks.

Comment by Brandon – June 26, 2013 10:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I hope someone saves it! My fingers are crossed. I love this show and don’t want to see it go.

Comment by Young Matthew – June 27, 2013 08:23 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • NOOOO!!! I can’t belive that no one wants this awesome show. PLEASE someone save it!!! ABC and USA can go to hell! WE HAVE TO KEEP SPREADING THE WORD!!#SaveHappyEndings

Comment by Jesse – June 27, 2013 09:36 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Someone must pick up this gem. I need this show back so badly.

Comment by Maya – June 27, 2013 12:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • HAPPY ENDINGS + COMMUNITY = most perfect hour of television

Comment by themonarchshow – June 28, 2013 09:25 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish someone would save this show. It’s just so funny.

Comment by Mikael – June 28, 2013 10:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • TERRIBLE show with talented people…let it die so Damon Wayans, Elisha Cuthbert and Eliza Coupe can pursue other opportunities. Isn’t bad enough that Wayans missed out on New Girl because of this dreck?

Comment by Not Lamorne Morris – June 28, 2013 11:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post