Shocker: Awkward Creator Abruptly Quits as Season 4 Hangs in Balance

Awkward Season 3 Finale SpoilersWell, isn’t this… Awkward.

Lauren Iungerich, the creator and showrunner of MTV’s acclaimed drama series, is leaving the show at the end of Season 3, TVLine has confirmed.

RELATED | Cable Renewal Scorecard: What’s Cancelled? What’s Returning? What’s on the Bubble?

Awkward is a wonderful series and we appreciate the creativity and devotion Lauren brought to this show,” MTV Programming President Susanne Daniels said in a statement. “We wish her the best in her new ventures.”

According to our sister site Deadline, Iungerich is exiting for personal and professional reasons.

Awkward returns with the second half of Season 3 in October. MTV, meanwhile, is on the hunt for a new showrunner to oversee a potential Season 4.

1. Christy says:

…well that sucks. :/

• Aaron says:

Does it?

I mean don’t gt me wrong – Season 1 of Awkward was AMAZING, but Season 2 stalled for me, and here is why. In Season 1 the Jenna character was narrating through voice-over while her character was doing whatever she was doing. in Season 2 the actress who plays Jenna started pulling faces at the camera to coincide with the narration – which annoys me to no end. As a viewer, instead of observing something as it’s “happening” with her thoughts being narrated it was enjoyable – having her act them out facially, not so much. So I still tune-in, but so far I’ve only watched 3-4 eps this season and the rest are still sitting on my DVR.

• Christy says:

Season 2 felt a little flat to me as well – I agree with the facial acting but TBH, I wouldn’t put that on a showrunner, I’d put that on the director. I’ve been enjoying season 3 a lot though, I’d give it a chance if you enjoyed the first season.

• Moriarty's pocket protector says:

*AHMAZING

• Abi says:

all of the season were fantastic. its like an addiction. as jenna matured and showed others her feelings,she did the same to the camera,the show is just maturing like her!

2. Nick says:

Mark Schwahn

3. CL says:

Take Jenna with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. Warren says:

No this is awful news. Awkward is such a great show- certainly way better than MTV deserves- I hope it’s still able to maintain its quality after she leaves.

5. Martin says:

Wonder how many Community comparisons will happen?, seeing as her voice is so central to the show like Dan Harmons was (and now is again) to that show. Would say only reason she left (or main reason) is because she wanted the show to end after high school, likely at the most season 5, and MTV wants it to go longer, probably at least syndication, I would say. They could always start to do what The WB/The CW did with both One Tree Hill and The Vampire Diaries with having their first 4 seasons as 2 years in high school, drag it out as much as possible without sucking, maybe even longer than those two shows did, hell, if it wasn’t thick, characters could fail exams. Do think the show will suffer creatively (as I believe it did a bit this season).

• Guy says:

Honestly, season 3 is shaping up to be my favorite season. IMO, a creative resurgence. But yes her voice is so central to the show; MTV should have given her whatever she wanted. They have a serious quality show here.

6. JB says:

I am curious about how this related to the current season. This season has been a mess (and I LOVE the show). I hate that we have just gone in the direction of another jenna love triangle. Can jenna have a story line that doesn’t involve picking between 2 boys?

My question is whether the current storyline was the creator’s decision or the result of a push from MTV. If this is the result of MTV unhappy with the current direction of the show, I kind of agree. If this is the result of MTV pushing this storyline and the creator being unhappy, then I feel her pain.

• johnhelvete says:

How is it another love triangle? Jenna developed unexpected feelings for Colin and it appears based on the trailer that in the final 10 episodes she breaks up with Matty and loses her friends because of it. Or do you think that Matty is the kind of guy who is going to be ok with Jenna cheating on him?

• Cynthia says:

It’s obviously another love triangle because she’s dating Matty & developing feelings for Collin . Just because she will leave Matty in the next half of the season doesn’t mean that she wasn’t dating him while liking another boy . Clearly a love triangle .

7. Nick says:

I just marathon viewed all the episodes…season 1 was great, but it kind of started to go downhill from there…I’m not really sure I can put my finger on why exactly, maybe I just feel like Jenna is becoming such an unlikable character…give me Tamara or Ming anyway, heck I kind of even prefer Sadie over Jenna at this point

• Abi says:

why do you not like jenna anymore?

• Shay says:

I actually kinda agree with you. I just think Jenna has gotten this attitude where you just wanna jack her in her face because she seems so pretentious (sorry if I spelled it wrong lol) but hopefully its just a faze and shell be back to normal soon.

8. Jared says:

This past season Jenna become VERY unlikeable. That was my biggest problem that it made me not even care about the show..which I LOVED at one point.

9. John says:

Have to agree with what many others have said here. I loved Awkward season one. Somehow the second season just lost me but I stuck through it. When season three started I gave it three or four episodes before I realized I completely despise the kind of person Jenna has become and represents. I won’t return for more of this show and if this is the direction MTV wanted it I hope Lauren knows how lucky she is to get some distance from this sinking ship.

10. Brandy says:

Wow, kinda surprised to see so many people dislike the second season of Awkward. I think that season alone had some of the most powerful episodes. That was my favorite season of Awkward. Season three for me has so many issues, and is falling flat thus far.They don’t know how to utilize Lacey or Ming, and Jenna seems to complain and find problems with her relationship every episode. Not to mention Jake is like a completely different character(annoying) when he’s with Tamara.

Lauren clearly wants out and to distance herself from MTV. Not only did she pull out of the Hot Mess pilot now she’s leaving Awkward altogether? MTV what have you done? You’re letting one of your most talented creators go? I’m afraid this won’t be the end of Awkward’s downward creative spiral.:(

11. Lisa D says:

I’m sick of hearing about Jenna and her drama between having to choose and cheating on people. I really think they are making her character way too selfish to relate to now. Jenna the odd ball who just wants to be loved by the most popular boy on campus…okay but now Jenna the oddball who wants to prove that she is better than the hottest guy in school by cheating on him with some guy she barely knows. I would have rather seen more Drama between Jake and Jenna rather than this. It just seems to hokey that Jake and Tamara are so perfect and problem free after Jake was obsessed with Jenna. I think if anything they should have dug deeper into that…and added drama by putting Tamara and Jenna’s friendship at stake again. This Colin twist self discovery thing is something that happens in college NOT in high school they should have saved it for the last season. If I see Jenna in another ridiculous relationship on another season I’m going to be so bored I will not watch it. It should be interesting to see what the writers will do after this.

• ajb says:

I agree, they should have had more drama with Jake and Jenna. Jake was so into Jenna and he basically just let her go and got over her way too quickly.

• Mary says:

I agree, Jake was one of my favorite characters and his relationship with Jenna was really genuine then it just disappeared. However, I like the direction they are going with the second half of the season. High school is a time where many mistakes are made and I think this relationship with Colin makes Jenna’s high school experience more believable.

12. I believe the show needs to stop at season 3. Because what’s of a show if the person who created it leaves? Nothing. Please MTV just stop. Lauren had only three seasons in mind, and a fourth one is just like adding an extra room to a house — it wasn’t in the original plan, it won’t look as nice.

13. Lola keller says:

Well…. I live this show! But is Colin ruins jenna and Marty I am going to be so pissed

14. Jasmine says:

I agree with everything everyone else has commented about! My friend started watching Awkard but wasn’t there for the first 2 seasons when they first aired but she did catch up but she doesn’t understand how much Jenna’s attitude should annoy her. I feel as if Jenna is turning into her actual real life stuck up self! I’m glad she’s going to lose all her friends and Sadie will snatch Matty because Jenna sure as heck doesn’t deserve him! If the show does end at Season 3 I might actually be happy because most likely she’ll end up being cheated on by Collin (who was once so in love with his girlfriend…) and will turn into the exact same outcast but this time with no friends. I just hope they focus more on Tamara, Ming, and Sadie because I like them so much better than Jenna right now….

• Katilin says:

I think matty gave her enough chances this time she did mess it up big time! And I dont think Sadie should be with Matty i think Matty might have a thing for Ming!!:) so please stop the hate Matty deserves to be treated much better and if that means Colin ends up with Jenna and Matty ends up alone or with Ming then thats okay, because even though Jenna is making a huge mistake. Matty has given her many chances so enough with the chances and enough with the Colin stuff. And Matty should be happy

• Al says:

Hm I must disagree. I see where you’re coming from but there are many young women out there who go through the same trouble as Jenna at that point in their lives choosing one path over another which may not be the best but learn from their mistakes etc. I think it was great that we got to see Jenna go through that especially because she is so awkward and original and many people can relate to her. Teenagers can see that no one is perfect and we all go through difficult times in our lives at that age especially. Btw, I actually love Sadi, just popping that in there. The way she over exaggerates the head movement when being a bitch and her line
      ” you’re welcome” actually makes me love her and cracks me up! hahaha

15. Katilin says:

Why would Jenna leave everything Tamara Jake and even Matty and also Ming just for a little romance and sex and change for Colin. For Matty nothing has to be changed he loves her or did love her! Colin is not ome of may favs and Jenna needs tomplay the field i get it but why cant she just not break Mattys heart or loose all herfriends for an over rated poet! Matty needs to not do anything i mean what can he do? She cheated on him. And if i was Jenna i would never do that Matty is the best.

16. jenny says:

Tank god its comeing back some people can’t live with out knowing what will happed 2 them

17. Angela says:

My life is over…

18. Really?! says:

What is wrong with everyone. Jenna is a 16 year old girl they’re mostly unlikeable! She’s trying to find herself. And maybe this is who Jenna is. Dating one person but always looking for something better. And maybe Matty is to blame for that after the wy be treated her at first. The purpose of this season was for you not to like Jenna. But she’ll come back around I’m sure. You just have to watch the rest of the season.

19. We’re a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with useful information to work on. You’ve done an
    impressive activity and our entire community will likely be thankful to you.

20. Kali says:

Am I the only one who liked Jenna? And season 2 was pretty good.

21. Suzy says:

I agree with what many people here said that Season 1 was by far the best we’ve had so far. Season 2 wasn’t bad either I did like it even though it doesn’t compare to Season 1. However, I am disappointed with Season 3. Jenna has become the most indecisive and most frustrating girl. Her attitude annoys me to no end and I think it sends a horrible message to people that if they aren’t satisfied in their relationship they can turn to cheating (her feelings for Collin). We need some of the magic that made Season 1 so awesome. I hope whoever the new show runner is can give this series the lift it needs right now, because it has all the potential to be a real gem.

22. Cisca says:

I love all three seasons, hoping there’s going to be a 4th one. I remember when I was 16 and still on high school. I think the audience should look at it from their own high school experiences. The director was a genies. Jake was suppose to just move on and forget about Jenna, and fall in love with her best friend. That’s exactly how high school kids live. Fall in love easily and into the next best thing straight away after a break up. I think we’ve had enough of the Jake/Jenna/Matty love triangle. They’re teenagers, they’re suppose to make mistakes, fall in love (a lot) and have self-esteem issues. Have their parents interfere in their daily life, snoop around and cause problems. I personally love the season 2 for those reasons where Jenna and her mom grew closer and finally opened up towards each other. That’s one of my favorite moments in season 2. Now getting back to Jenna and Matty. This isn’t Real Housewives. And there is no such thing as a person being too good for another. Matty made a lot of mistakes in the past, so let Jenny breath a little. Every girl dreams of that one perfect guy who will write poems and songs and Shakespeare to her, right? Jenny is just falling in love with what he has to offer cause its better than what she has with Matty. She is 16, probably the most confusing time in a teenagers life. Let her explore and “find her herself”. You guys should remember that this series is based on teenage life, not the 90210 brats, which I also love BTW…I really hope there will be a season 4 cause episode 10 just left me drooling for more.

23. lielie says:

You guys have a awsum series going on here, please keep it up and aka matty and Jake are smoken HOT!!!!! Love the show…

24. Idk says:

Better keep going I love this show

25. Idk says: