The 'New' AMC/OLTL to Air on OWN This Summer

All My Children One Life to Live on OWNIf you have A) yet to fire them up on your PC, B) can’t figure out how to feed a $5 bill into your Mac to pay for Hulu Plus or C) simply need to see Melissa Archer on a bigger screen, Oprah Winfrey’s OWN cable network will be encoring the first 40 episodes of The Online Network’s All My Children and One Life to Live relaunches.

RELATED | Oprah Reveals Why She Can’t Save ABC’s Cancelled Soaps, in April 2011 Video

OWN’s 10-week summertime “second window” for the serials kicks off Monday, July 15, with AMC airing at 1 pm ET, and OLTL following at 3 pm. The half-hour episodes will air Monday through Thursday of each week.

“These shows have proven to be very popular with a significant, loyal fan base — not to mention, Oprah herself is a big fan,” said OWN president Erik Logan in a statement. “Many of our viewers across numerous platforms have expressed their passion for the soaps, so we are especially excited to air this limited engagement.”

At the time ABC announced the end of AMC and OLTL in 2011, Oprah felt so much pressure to “save” the shows that she produced a video offering the “bone-marrow truth: There just are not enough people who are at home in the daytime to watch them, and because of that they’re going off the air.” She added: “I will not [try] to revive an institution that for all intents and purposes indicates the time has come for it to be over.”

RELATED | Relaunched AMC and OLTL Go on Hiatus Early Due to Labor Issue

AMC and OLTL will return from a planned hiatus to resume production on Aug. 12, now that a labor squabble with IATSE has been resolved. Also: Starting July 1, the shows will drop any and all new weekly epsiodes every Monday, all at once and ripe for bingeing.

Comments (27)

• Hallelujah!!! I seen all the new All My Children Episodes on Hulu Plus, and I’ll watch them all again on television!!! Thank you OWN for showing respect to these great soaps!!!

Comment by Eric7740 – June 26, 2013 10:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It is great except.for those of us who live in canada,thanks oprah for getting my hopes u

Comment by Tracy – July 17, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • oprah once said that the daytime soaps were no longer sustainable, I remember her saying this because there was a campaign to get to buy the shows from ABC. I am so glad to see the new format must fit her network budget.

Comment by Tori – June 26, 2013 10:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Apples and oranges. She couldn’t afford to pay to produce the shows, but OWN can buy the already-produced episodes. It’s much cheaper on her end.

Comment by TV Gord – June 26, 2013 11:47 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I worship Oprah, but it’s pretty hypocritical of her. When no one was saving the shows, she said soaps were dying, there was no money left in them. TOLN saved the shows and showed the audience is there, suddenly Oprah is there. It will only help the shows, so I am OK with it though.

Comment by Amy – June 26, 2013 07:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • At that time, it sure seemed as though the soaps were dying, so I don’t see it as hypocrisy at all. Anyway, she’s only giving them a ten-week tryout. If the ratings aren’t there, they’ll be gone from OWN once again. I don’t see why she should be held any more accountable than any other TV executive…and virtually every other TV executive has turned a blind eye to AMC and OLTL. No one else has stepped up, but she still seems to be getting slammed on various message boards, even though she’s giving the shows a chance.

Comment by TV Gord – June 26, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I guess THe big O does realize that they will get ratings after all ( after all she needs all the help she can get )

Comment by Joe – June 26, 2013 11:00 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Smart plan OWN…Skipped out on the production costs and just do the distribution end.

Comment by TL – June 26, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Go Oprah!

Comment by Teeny Bikini – June 26, 2013 12:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love this I have watched every episode of both shows on my tiny computer screen but I will watch them again from the beginning on my big screen TV can’t wait!

Comment by Mika02 – June 26, 2013 03:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I only wish that we could watch the soaps on own but not here in canada.we helped get these soaps back

Comment by Tracy – August 19, 2013 06:22 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a hypocrite! I hope Oprah will either admit she was wrong or that she was lying when she proclaimed that soaps were dead. I’m glad the soaps will be on TV again, but they should be on a more relevant channel.

Comment by Andrea – June 26, 2013 04:25 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • She wasn’t lying when she said that, she was just wrong. But I agree she’s a hypocrite.

Comment by Amy – June 26, 2013 07:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • How many new people esp if this airs in daytime on OWN will actually watch the repeats though?, Probably very few but if wrong great for the shows!

Comment by DavidSask – June 26, 2013 04:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Plenty of AMC and OLTL fans haven’t gone to the trouble to figure out how to find them online, so OWN is bound to bring these shows to a broader audience.

Comment by TV Gord – June 26, 2013 08:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I for one do not watch it online, refuse, work on computer all day do not want to be on it at home.
      I will give the shows a chance, I am curious on what changes they made.

Comment by Mary – June 27, 2013 06:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Fantastic news! I will be watching.

Comment by LynnH – June 26, 2013 05:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is great to hear. A nice move on TOLN and OWN’s parts. This is good all around.

Comment by The Pit – June 26, 2013 09:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Very happy to hear this. Don’t watch OLTL, but AMC has been amazing thus far. Much better than the last few years on network television.

Comment by Joline – June 26, 2013 10:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • very excited!!!

Comment by Trista – June 27, 2013 05:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I will watch only if COMCAST starts showing OWN in HD!

Comment by Lord B'NAI – June 29, 2013 06:26 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So exited, watched since I was 4 my dad taped them on VHS for me when I was in school. Hulu is great but I am happy to watch them on a big tv Thank you Oprah!!

Comment by Heidi – July 1, 2013 03:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So all my children will be back on tv when will this happen and what station will it be on ty I watched all my children from day 1, I was really upset when they took it off the air, will it pick up where it left off when it went off the air

Comment by sue – July 10, 2013 10:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Oh happy day! People were not home during the day to watch but there are plenty like me who recorded them and watched when I got home. Couldn’t handle the small screen with these ancienr eyes but will definitely watch on the TV. Thank you Oprah. Hope you keep up the good work!

Comment by Mary Haggenmaker – July 13, 2013 07:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I understand that the OWN is only going to have a limited engagement of AMC and OLTl for ten weeks. But if this ten week engagement is a success, the soaps will continue. How does it look so far?

Comment by Liz – August 18, 2013 10:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I surely hope they do a continued TV spot. I watched AMC for 40 years with a brief working time, but returned once I worked at home and retired. Was very upset when the show went off the air. Don’t know which channel OWN is on, but surely will have to take a gander. I live in East Bay so if someone can help me find it. Thanks.

Comment by Marsha Koehler – September 10, 2013 12:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Oprah Winfrey Network is OWN. In my neck of the woods she got the channel that used to be Discovery Health. I am in Southern Maryland with Comcast. Hope this helps.

Comment by Mary Haggenmaker – September 11, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post