Fall TV Premiere Dates: The CW Once Again Opens Its Season in October

Fall TV Schedule The CWFor a second year running, The CW is launching its fall TV season in October, opening with Hart of Dixie and its relocated Beauty and the Beast, then finishing things up at the end of the month with its fashionable Friday combo of Carrie Bradshaw and Tyra Banks.

The CW is the third network to show their hand, following CBS and NBC.

PHOTOS | Fall TV: Your Guide to What’s New!

On tap for late fall/midseason: The final, shortened season of Nikita plus the new dramas Star-Crossed and The 100.

All told, The CW’s roll-out plan looks like this:

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7
8 pm Hart of Dixie
9 pm Beauty and the Beast

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9
8 pm Arrow
9 pm THE TOMORROW PEOPLE (new series)

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10
8 pm The Vampire Diaries
9 pm REIGN (new series)

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15
8 pm THE ORIGINALS (new series)
9 pm Supernatural

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25
8 pm The Carrie Diaries
9 pm America’s Next Top Model: Guys and Girls (season will have premiered Aug. 2)

Which CW premiere are you most counting the days until?

1. keri says:

i’m curious as to why the opted not to put the originals with the vampire diaries. i would imagine most of the people watching the former are fans of the latter…

• cas says:

I think that maybe they are hoping TVD will give this new series a boost, because we all know that has worked in the past. Also, I am guessing they are thinking The Originals will already have a fan base and won’t need to build one.

• Kirsty says:

Yeah, probably. Also, they may be hoping that The Originals will bring in fans from the Supernatural fan base as well as TVD since they are both wildly popular.

• katy917 says:

I think because there is already quite a large fan base for the characters in The Originals coming over from TVD, they feel the show can hold it’s own, and thus are giving perhaps one of their weaker new shows (Reign) a solid lead in with one of their strongest shows, TVD. This schedule makes me think The CW expect good ratings from the get go with The Originals.

• Melinda says:

I think they’ll be disappointed. I don’t think the Originals will have that good of ratings from the start.

• Lindsey says:

If they due a crossover ep they can dominate ratings for two days instead of one.

• Ari says:

I think I’m dropping TVD now that the Originals have left. IMO, they were the best part of TVD and without them I just can’t take all that moping and that shriek that Nina Dobrev does when she cries. That being said, I’m kind of into The Originals being paired with Supernatural. This may be the first time, since the days of Buffy/Angel, that I’m going to be watching The CW (which was the WB back then) for a solid two hour block. I think the CW has a few shows that look interesting this year!

2. Maki says:

Late start for the Originals. Weird they should gather audience before SHIELD!

Can’t wait for VD,Reign and TP to start!

• lll says:

They pushed the Originals back a week because of SHIELD’s massive promotion. I assume some people will sample it, not like it and watch the Originals instead.

• katy917 says:

I kinda thought it was because they wanted to wrap up the stories in TVD first on the Tuesday, Rebekah was last seen heading off to Europe with Matt etc – if they started the Originals before TVD they wouldn’t get the chance to wrap things up properly – there are ways around this and this is purely speculation on my part, it just makes sense, kinda like when buffy and angel aired at the same time, occasionally the odd story from one would flow into the other.

• Maki says:

uhh U’re right. that’s probably the reason. I’m just curios if we will get a new ep or the redone Pilot. Cause in the new preview there are screenshots of the little which captured which we didn’t see in the Pilot.

• Rachel says:

No, I think if people don’t like it they’ll watch NCIS instead. I don’t think the Originals is going to premiere to that good of ratings.

3. Jay says:

No Nikita :(

4. dean says:

I would be okay with the late start if the cw didnt take so many week long breaks for their shoes.

5. lola says:

I am mostly looking forward to Hart of Dixie. Can’t wait for season 3 :-)

6. Nan says:

I hope they leave the Originals off the Thursday line up. I have too many things as it is to record. Any other day is fine.

7. Wednesday nights = TEAM AMELL

8. Michelle says:

October 15………..sigh….they are trying to kill me

9. Shannon says:

Supernatural! I don’t know if I can make it to October 15th without Dean!!!

• elr says:

I know how you feel. October is bad enough, but why not the 8th instead of the 15th. They must like to see us Supernatural fans suffer….

10. Kayla says:

Strange that The Originals and The Vampire Diaries aren’t on the same night

11. Shaun says:

October?!This network used to beat everyone else to the punch and begin in early September!!

• Eric7740 says:

They did that so they didn’t have to take a break before November Sweeps and take one break for the holiday season and start fresh in mid-January through February Sweeps.

• Esaul says:

But by doing so the network faced the issue of infinite repeats. They don’t have strong rated shows that do well in repeats. Even when NCIS or TBBT airs repeats it brings in good numbers. I’m not trying to compare the two networks, it’s just an example. CW does better when they have consists new episodes, so more I’d that and less repeats the better. They already save a a couple of weeks of repeats by doing this.

• Brandy says:

That caused too many hiatueses and reruns and Pedowitz wanted less of that, more original programming after fans complained about how many /how long hiatueses of the shows.He also said last year that when CW started early, people would abonden the shows to check out other networks new shows.So he wanted to stop that, so for those reasons, CW starts fall in Oct.

12. TVD and Heart of Dixie

13. Jane says:

No Supernatural until October 15th! I need it now! Guess I’ll just have to go back and rewatch the first 8 seasons again.

14. Nerdbot says:

The only show I really care about is not on the list. I’m looking forward to watching the final season of Nikita but, maybe, “maybe”, I’ll take a look at The Tomorrow People while I wait for The CW to air it.

15. Sha says:

I’m looking forward to The Tomorrow People. I used to watch the British series on Nickelodeon when I was a girl. I wonder if they’ll use the same song? It was written by the woman who wrote the original Doctor Who song.

16. Kristi says:

Arrow, The Tomorrow People, and The Carrie Diaries

17. kate says:

Ugh we have to wait til October 15th for Supernatural? dislike.

18. Lisa E says:

Very excited!

19. Brandy says:

Can’t wait for VD,Originals,Reign,Carrie Diaries,Beauty & the Beast ,Hart of Dixie!Hope they also announce CD and BatB DVD release soon.

20. D says:

The Carrie Diaries!!!!!!!!!!!

21. Venkman007 says:

“ARROW”!!!
    And for the love of Christ- “Vampire Diaries” is still on-? Ugh.

22. Adam says:

I still can’t believe the renewed The Carrie Diaries. hat show is total garbage, which the ratings prove.

23. George Kon says:

8 pm THE ORIGINALS same time as the SHIELD and NCIS lol Epic fail

24. Dave says:

The Originals is going to be annihilated by NCIS and SHIELD.

25. Shows says:

The only thing ill be watching on the cw this season is arrow just like last season!

26. Chris says:

Arrow Supernatural and The tomorrow People

27. meatwad says:

i’m liking that Wednesday night lineup

28. Reblogged this on thehiltonburnellfiles and commented:
    I’ll mark it on my calendars. Arrow, TVD, Supernatural and the new shows like “The Originals” is what I’m going in for.

29. mia says:

So long to wait for more Beauty and the Beast + Hart of Dixie. But the strategy worked well last season so its smart for them to repeat it. And anything that gets me more of my favourite shows, I’m happy to wait!!!

• Georgia Madman says:

So long to wait for Felicity! But I have the S1 episodes she’s in so that’ll have to keep me warm until October 9.

30. Danielle's frenemy. says:

Hart of Dixie, Arrow, Tomorrow People and Reign.

31. Carrie says:

I’m only interested in Supernatural and The Tomorrow People.

32. Nicki says:

So When Is Nikita S4 On TV?

33. I thought Top Model was premiering on August 2nd with the new Guy/Girl cycle. Did I make that up? Or is this another cycle?

34. Ryan says:

Though the only one of these I watch is Arrow (post-winter S1 of HoD was a casualty of a too full DVR :( ), if I were in charge of programming, I would have done it like so:

MONDAY, OCTOBER 7
    8 pm Hart of Dixie
    9 pm REIGN (new series)
    [pairing the "strong female lead"/"real life" shows, letting HoD be the lead-in to the new show, hoping Reign holds HoD viewers]

WEDNESDAY, OCTOBER 9
    8 pm Arrow
    9 pm Beauty and the Beast
    [pairing the "crime" shows]

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 10
    8 pm The Vampire Diaries
    9 pm THE ORIGINALS (new series)
    [Duh.]

TUESDAY, OCTOBER 15
    8 pm Supernatural
    9 pm THE TOMORROW PEOPLE (new series)
    [pairing the sci-fi/fantasy shows, hoping that Supernatural's rabid fanbase will enjoy a similar(-ish) show]

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 25
    8 pm The Carrie Diaries
    9 pm America’s Next Top Model: Guys and Girls
    [kept the same, pairing the "fashion shows"]

35. Lisa says:

NIKITA!!!!!!

36. John says:

Excited for Supernatural, TVD, Tomorrow People, Originals and Carrie Diaries (surprisingly good).

37. Jacqi says:

Do we know when Star-Crossed will start? Its a new show for the CW. Mid-Season?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

As it says above: “On tap for late fall/midseason: The final, shortened season of Nikita plus the new dramas Star-Crossed and The 100.”

38. Tim says:

I love me some Hart of Dixie can’t wait, got AB starting this season going be off the hook I have my DVR for that show

39. Angel says:

Even though Nikita is not in the fall schedule, I reserved the last football game just for them, since they will be seniors.

40. Hannah says:

Tvd, reign,tomorrow people,hod,batb, the originals. with they didnt cancel cult or hellcats, or the secret circle though

41. scottyjames says:

I only watch the CW for one thing!! Supernatural. Everything else is garbage. I loved sex and the city. But the Carrie diary’s is so awful I want to choke myself LOL!!!