Family Ties Creator Gary David Goldberg Dies

Get More: In Memoriam

Gary David Goldberg DiesGary David Goldberg, the Emmy-winning creator of Family Ties, died Sunday after a long battle with brain cancer. He was 68.

Goldberg, who passed away two days shy of his 69th birthday at his home in Montecito, CA, launched Family Ties on NBC in 1982. The comedy made a star of Michael J. Fox and served as a staple of the Peacock’s Thursday lineup for nearly a decade.

He later reunited with Fox on ABC’s Spin City (which he co-created with Bill Lawrence). He also created the acclaimed semi-autobiographical half-hour dramedy Brooklyn Bridge, which ran for two seasons on CBS.

His other credits include writing stints on Lou Grant, The Bob Newhart Show and M*A*S*H. He also directed the films Dad and Must Love Dogs.

Goldberg is survived by his wife, Diana, and daughters Shana Goldberg-Meehan (a former Friends EP) and Cailin Goldberg-Meehan.

Comments (8)

• That’s a sad bit of news.

Comment by Youry de Jong – June 24, 2013 05:48 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment by Doreen Mulman – June 24, 2013 05:51 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sit ubu sit ………….. good dog

Comment by Lisa – June 24, 2013 08:21 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Exactly what went through my mind when I read this. Also, I didn’t realize he was involved in so many things. Sad news.

Comment by Betty – June 24, 2013 10:28 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • He wrote an excellent autobiography a few years ago that I loved. It was titled Sit, Ubu Sit. I recommend it to his fans.

Comment by Liz – June 24, 2013 03:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Way too young

Comment by Andy – June 24, 2013 06:37 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • R.I.P. Gary. It’s such sad news to see such a great man leaving us. My condolences to his family and friends.

Comment by Chocoholic – June 25, 2013 02:38 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I knew Gary from Lafayette High School in Brooklyn, New York. We both played on the basketball team. What a nice guy! So sorry about his passing. Condolences to his family.
    Neil

Comment by Neil Howard Liebowitz – June 25, 2013 10:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post