True Blood Recap: To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

Get More: Recaps

true-blood-S6E2-300In this week’s episode of True Blood — “The Sun” — Billith is so overwhelmed by his very visceral empathy for the vampires tortured and killed on Governor Burrell’s orders that he slips into the same kind of coma that I did during last season’s Smoke Monster storyline. But this is no ordinary coma. While Jessica prays for his swift awakening, he’s… well, read on. I’ll tell you all about it.

PSYCHIC FIENDS NETWORK | In “no place,” Bill is informed by Lilith that — sorry, no dice — he is not a god. However, he will play an important role in the end days. “Trust what you see,” she instructs him. And, no sooner does he snap out of his trance than he sees on the TV news all the scenes of abuse and murder that had previously unspooled in his head. “Holy crap!” he more or less exclaims. “I’m Miss Cleo!” More startling still, his next vision involves all of our fanged series regulars being deep-fried! Ruh-roh!

VIDEOTrue Blood Cast Previews the Deadliest, Most ‘Extreme’ Season Yet

ALL IN THE FAMILY | When Sookie gets done lending a hand to Ben, the hot new half-fairy in town, she learns that the creepy old guy who picked up Jason last week was neither The Hitcher nor Warlow but their grandpa, Niall. Turns out, he’s been tracking the übervamp “like Bobba Fett,” Jason explains, as only he would. Moreover, Sookie isn’t just a fairy, she’s an actual fairy princess! (Grandpa’s full of backstory!) But wait, there’s more: Niall says that, to defeat Warlow, Sookie will need to channel her fairy light into a supernova — and, after she does this, she’ll be fae no more! (Of course, sick as she is of being different, that’s a win/win for her.)

SHOT THROUGH THE HEART | Arriving at Fangtasia with (ugh, as always) Nora, Eric saves Tara by removing from her chest a silver bullet that emits UV light. (Score one for the humans.) Pissed, he orders his sis to figure out once and for all WTH Billith is and disguises himself as a nerdy conservationist to get into the Governor’s office. (Score one for the vamps.) Unfortunately, newly developed contact lenses prevent him from glamouring the politician. (Score another one for the humans.) But all isn’t lost: He still manages to entice the Gov’s lens-less daughter, Willa, into inviting him into her boudoir. (Score a big one for Willa!)

HERE, THERE AND EVERYWHERE | Sam’s s–t day starts with a visit from the Vampire Unity Society strongly encouraging him to come out as a shifter and ends with Emma being forcibly taken from him by Alcide, Martha and their pack. Andy’s day, though marginally better, culminates in his showing up at the invisible fairy Studio 54 and begging Morella to take their kids. Meanwhile, Arlene lies to Patrick’s pregnant wife — remember Patrick, from the Smoke Monster debacle? — that he ran off with another woman. (Tsk, Arlene! Tsk and also tsk!)

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the episode? Did Warlow’s entrance from the other dimension give you the heebies, the jeebies or both? How sick/cool was it when Billith made his Happy Meal spew blood like it was water from a fire hydrant? And how much do you want one of those books with the glowing 3-D text? (They could make nightlights obsolete!) Hit the comments.

Tags: ,

Comments (58)

• Once again, ASkars stole the show with his human routine. Did someone say whooping crane?

For me, this episode had a lot of consistency issues. Vampires don’t get the bleeds anymore? The fairy light thing is odd. I don’t get how Sookie could cease to be fairy. Isn’t it in her DNA?

And Bill is some kind of savior now? Give me a break.

Comment by WTactualF – June 23, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Last season, the fairies told Sookie that she is only half-fae so she has a finite amount of magic. Remember when she tried to use it a lot at once to try to get rid of it? Once she uses it all, she’s not magical anymore.

Comment by Ashleah Youn – June 23, 2013 07:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Jess had the bleeds but Nora didn’t, which bugged me. Also, the fairy light thing made me think of the Cluviel Dor (how it can only be used once) – any other book readers think so, too?

Comment by ashley – June 23, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Could’ve sworn I saw blood coming out of Nora’s ears during her conversation with Pam. Perhaps because she’s older, it doesn’t come on quickly or as bad? I don’t recall with older vamps from previous seasons.

Comment by Thea – June 23, 2013 10:42 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Alex was frickin helarious. He should do comedy ASAP!!
      There weren’t any continuity issues though. I checked, every vamp that stayed up during the day got the bleeds. You could see it coming from their ears, even Nora and Eric.
      And I think in like s3 they explained Sookie’s finite amount of fae magic because she isn’t even half fae so she will eventually run out.
      I don’t think Bill is a savior.. I think he is a pawn and I definitely don’t think Lillith is what we think she is. Only time will tell.
      I liked this episode. I like where they are going with the vampires having to fight back.. it gives back a good flavor to the series. It feels a bit simpler this time around, which is fantastic. So far, it has exceeded my expectations which were extremely low (I’ve watched thru ep 3 now).. looking forward to seeing where it all goes but so sad we only get 10 eps this season.

Comment by Danielle H. – July 7, 2013 08:09 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Poor Veronica. That was like THE most gruesome death on True Blood ever … and that’s saying something.

Comment by Dave – June 23, 2013 07:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Gotta say, I am loving this season so far, hope it continues and the best is Andy and his babies lol

Comment by mari – June 23, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Really? I’m feeling the opposite. I do totally love the Andy and babies thing, but Billith and Warlow. Which btw- I’m going to bet Warlow is the grandfather. I bet he’s half-fae, half-vampire.

Comment by Elly – June 23, 2013 07:33 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • That would be very cool.

Comment by Amanda – June 23, 2013 10:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • The IMDB has Rutger Hauer’s character listed as Macklyn Warlow. Think your right.

Comment by Joshua – June 24, 2013 07:56 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • But Niall (Rutger Hauer) told Jason he was his grandfather — and Warlow is someone totally different. It is quite possible IMDB got some bad info. I doubt they would do a spoiler like that.

Comment by Joann – June 24, 2013 10:59 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
          • Pretty sure anyone can post on Imdb, like Wikipedia.

Comment by Paul – June 24, 2013 12:49 PM PDT
          • I thought Rutger was playing both characters- Warlow and Niall- not that they were the same person.

Comment by Stan – June 24, 2013 04:11 PM PDT
          • He will probably end up playing both as twin brothers, one good and one evil, or something like that.

Comment by The Squatch – June 24, 2013 06:47 PM PDT
          • IMDB screens the posts people place on there.. It is possible he is playing both..

Comment by DarkDefender – June 24, 2013 09:11 PM PDT
          • Imdb is sadly like wikipedia which means anyone who has an account can change or add info to an actors or a shows page.

Comment by Sarah jane – June 25, 2013 07:59 AM PDT
  • This all looks like its going to end up being very predictable if you ask me. Beel will save the day! Beel and Sookeh will reunite by the end of the season. It is very clear who the writers want together and who they think the stars are. If it wasn’t for the other characters who I love I’d be quitting this show but I love me some Eric, Jason, Pam, Sam, Lafayette, n Tara so I cont to watch for them.

Comment by S – June 23, 2013 07:09 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • vampire and fairy story blah;except Eric and the window scene.Ben story is forced.True blood needs new writers fast!

Comment by aura – June 24, 2013 12:31 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Loved it… But haaaate alcide

Comment by D – June 23, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I agree. I used to really like Alcide, but when he hit Sam and stole Emma while she is kicking and screaming (and already been through so much), I felt like his character became a villan (or at least someone I don’t like or root for anymore).

Comment by Amanda – June 23, 2013 10:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Deborah Ann Woll has quickly become the best actor on the show.

Comment by Aleksa – June 23, 2013 07:10 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • That’s exactly what I was thinking watching her pray, she is probably the most believable. La Fayette remains my favorite.

Comment by Elly – June 23, 2013 07:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • My two favorite characters since season one.

Pam has grown on me (love her now!), and Tara and I have grown apart but have an off and on kinda love. :P

Comment by DoctorWhoFanatic! – June 24, 2013 07:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • That’s exactly how I feel :-) favorites are La Fayette and Jessica. But Pam has definitely grown on me. I use to really like Alcide but his alohadog thing is sort of annoying me.

Comment by Elly – June 24, 2013 08:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
        • Jessica wasn’t in season 1…well at least until the last episode.

Comment by Matt Alex – June 25, 2013 12:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Agree. She was the best part of the episode. That and when ASkars did his geek thing! Don’t trust ‘grandpa’ maybe because it’s the amazing Rutger frickin Hauer!

Comment by Jeannie – June 23, 2013 08:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I always love your recaps (probably because I, too, think the smoke monster and Nora SUCK).

Comment by Amanda – June 23, 2013 07:15 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So the storylines with Billith and the vamp crew is working, as is Sookie’s storyline…but what’s the point of the rest of the Bon Temps cast? They’re just not needed anymore and so unattached. I wished they’d just let Carrie Preston go free so she can join the cast of the Good Wife full time. Arlene is such a thankless role for her.

Comment by Josh – June 23, 2013 07:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love the Arlene character

Comment by waterbug – June 26, 2013 10:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • other thoughts: the Hoyt reference was amazing. I only missed Russell a little bit tonight. Ben is doing nothing for me and I don’t trust him. “The gene skipped you” made me pause the TV to laugh for awhile. I hope Arlene lying to Scott Foley’s wife doesn’t mean a new storyline for Arlene/Terry because I don’t know if I could stand anything after that Ifrit bullsh*t. Andy’s quadruplets are adorable. Danielle is the WORST, she is just a lame and less interesting Debbie Pelt. Nora is getting less annoying, I hope. (Is she annoying, or am I just jealous that she gets to fake-bone Skarsgard?) Pam felt strange in the first episode, but she seemed more Pam-like tonight. and Jess… sigh

Comment by ashley – June 23, 2013 07:46 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I have never read the books so I don’t know if this was made clear in them, or even in the show itself earlier and I forgot… the thing about the fae gene skipping Jason. I know he never had any powers, but the way they always seemed to have the women, (and sometimes men), fawning all over him, I kind of assumed he just got the “pretty” gene instead. The irresistible gene, or whatever you want to call it, that the full faeries seem to have.

Comment by The Squatch – June 24, 2013 06:52 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • In the books, it isn’t exactly a “gene” that makes Sookie fae, but what is referred to as the “essential spark.” (Adele had the spark as well, but not Jason). All Jason got from fairy-ness is good looks and the power of seduction. Also in the books, not all fae are telepathic, just Sookie, Barry, and their half-demon godfather Mr. Cataliades. it’s complicated.

Comment by ashley – June 24, 2013 07:08 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAW stole this episode. Great performance. I seriously want Sam and LaFayette to find Alcide and his pack, kick their tails and take back Emma.

Comment by sladewilson – June 23, 2013 08:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • #whoopingcrane

Comment by Miles – June 23, 2013 08:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Anyone else think that Sookie will face a conundrum of sorts- use the “supernova” on Bill(ith) or Warlow? Either one will get rid of her fae, which one will she be forced to use it on first!?!

Comment by Singing_gal – June 24, 2013 12:01 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Bill(ith) at some point comes to face Warlow, because it sounds like he would be the only other supernatural creature that could handle him. I don’t think Sookies ball of light is going to do it (call me crazy….). Eric is going to rally the vamps together to fight the war against the Governor, and it will all somehow come together for some crazy (yet somehow, predictable) end. I’m sure the other story lines will intertwine somehow, I just don’t care about them enough right now, hopefully they’ll get more interesting.

Comment by Michael – June 24, 2013 01:18 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • If Niall is Warlow and Sookie can kill a ton of vampires with her light, then it seems that the big battle will be Billith trying to kill Warlow/Niall and Faery gramps gearing up Sookie to save himself.

Just not sure where the shifters, weres and other Supes fit in. The humans don’t stand a chance.

Comment by DarkDefender – June 24, 2013 09:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • sorry, im losing intrest this year . im still going to watch but not live anymore ,Dexter is Back next week !!!

Comment by Joe – June 24, 2013 04:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I think Ben is Warlow

Comment by Kristie – June 24, 2013 04:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • It could be like on Buffy when Ben was Glory. Hey, they even have the same name.

The worst part of the episode for me was when that girl was trying to convince Sam to come out. Least persuasive argument ever. And what the heck is up with Alcide?

Comment by AT – June 24, 2013 08:45 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Alcide = alpha dog (pun intended) = power trip.

Comment by DarkDefender – June 24, 2013 09:17 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The prophecy is kind of lame. When light and dark collide blah blah blah. I think it’s setting up Bill and Sookie (gag!)

Comment by Waitingsux – June 24, 2013 05:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought Jason said “like Bubba Fett”.

Comment by Joanna – June 24, 2013 07:32 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Reblogged this on Thoughts on Pop and commented:
    Only thing you need to know about last night’s episode: Eric pretending to be a nerdy human = COMEDY GOLD.

Comment by brennasherrill – June 24, 2013 08:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I thought those Bill & Jessica scenes were amazing! When Bill’s eyes went still, my heart skipped a beat! And when Jess prayed, oh my… I wanted Bill to wake up so much, for us, and so she wouldn’t be alone!
    About Nial & Ben, um, I don’t know if Sookie & Jason should trust so easily…
    Oh! And Alcide is an assh*le!

Comment by Liz – June 24, 2013 09:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I don’t get Alcide’s motivations now. Since he first came on the show, his character was all about doing what’s right, even if it went against the werewolves/pack mentality, but now he’s a total assh*le?? It does not make sense to me. I like Sam taking care of Luna’s daughter, but making Alcide the bad guy just feels like a really forced storyline to me.

Comment by gdv – June 24, 2013 10:03 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I absolutely loved last night’s episode. The scene with Eric as the nerd was hilarious and still menacing. Also, it was classic vampire movie when Eric flew to Willa’s window and asked to be invited in.

I felt sorry for Jessica and loved her prayer.

I think Ben is hot and should be fun to see where that goes.

Hopefully that’s all we’ll hear from the widow of Terry’s army buddy and the Ifrite madness.

I noticed the thing about the bleeds too and figured it had something to do with Nora’s age.

I thought Tara was shot in the leg? The recap above says the chest.

The fairy grandfather thing is exciting but I hope it’s finished quickly.

Overall, one of the best episodes in years.

Comment by Bobby – June 24, 2013 09:34 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I f***ing hated it years ago when ‘Invasion’ put all the unsuspecting human 1.0s in a room that would send them to their death on the series finale and I f***ing hated it every bit as much last night when True Blood did it with Bill’s premonition. Nazi gas chamber much?

I am all in favour of drama series boldly pursuing and depicting mass persecution storylines and if need be, mass murders too, but must Holocaust imagery ALWAYS be writers’ first go-to place???

Call it Jewish-related hyper sensitivity if you will but it bothered me…

#rantover

Comment by Eran – June 24, 2013 12:01 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Great Episode.
    Alexander Skarsgard was hilarious as the nerdy conservationist and I loved the floating seduction scene at the window a real throw back to the classics.
    He can show up at my window anytime.

They better not fry Eric and Jessica as Bill saw in his vision , that would ruin the show.

Comment by Whatever – June 24, 2013 12:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What a great misdirect. Everyone thought that Rutger would be Warlow including me that was a fantastic twist. Great episode and nerd Eric was hilarious.

Comment by BrianR – June 24, 2013 05:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • If Andy’s half fae children literally grew 4 years overnight… wouldn’t Sookie have done the same as achild?

Comment by Tonya Marie – June 24, 2013 06:07 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Sookie is only 1/8th fae, so I guess that’s why she didn’t grow super quickly. But I’m rather confused because I thought that fairies were supposed to age very slowly. Like Claude looks 25 but is 130 or something. Maybe they’ll grow quickly to an interesting age and stop there for a hundred years or so. shrug

Comment by ashley – June 24, 2013 07:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • From what i gathered, the young girl whose plan was trying to convince Sam to out himself as a shapeshifter to the humans didn’t work, i figure she decided to record evidence of Sam, Alcide, Martha shapeshifting only they didnt. i suspect they will continue to record them until they have proof and release it to the media and it will backfire on their civil rights campaign and put the Supes in extreme danger.

also imo ben (aka ‘eastenders’ sean slater) can’t surely be warlow because he was like oh i don#t want to go to the hospital they wouldnt know what to do with a faery and quite frankly i want him to be good so i refuse to believe he is bad boy fae/evil warlow right now. and andy’s girls are soooooooooooo freakin adorable and cute. omg why does he want to offload them – his 4yr old girl in the green tighs was cutest.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – June 24, 2013 10:13 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Bill’s premonition of seeing Eric, Jess, Tara and vamp camps all trapped and killed under direct sunlight. From this i guess Bill will have to be the saviour and most likely sacrifice himself for the greater good of saving the vampires and jessica. so i think sarah could be right about that and bill does seem odds on fave to die.

&& what NORA read in the vampire bible about “the people led Lilith into the sun…./,,,,when light and dark collide our salvation is at hand”.

its too early to assume but from the only info i have right now, i predict Lilith was in a similar situation to Bill & had to die as a result of saving the vampires for the greater good & thats why she was this blood soaked body in season 5 – she must have had a big death. Bill’s prophecy is to rescue the vampires in a similar scenario where vampires face extinction.

SO this is where i am conflicted now, because the ‘light’ is obviously sookie or bill and the ‘dark’ is either represented by warlow or governor burrell.

I am overthinking a little because its difficult to predict this early on but i reckon the battle between Sookie and Warlow will result in that supernova (more powerful than the sun) causing something MAJOR that could ultimately kill all our fave vamps and bill will have to “know what to do and trust what he sees” as lilith phrased it.

Comment by Kєssa (@iAmKessa24) – June 24, 2013 10:32 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I really wish they’d bring Dermot, their fairy uncle who looks exactly like Jason, on the show. It would give Ryan Kwanten something more interesting to do. I used to like Alcide, but I’ve cared NOTHING for his storyline as of Season 5 and this year is even worse. He’s nice to look at, but his story does nothing for the show and he should go. I wish we could get more Sam/Sookie scenes. I feel like they haven’t interacted in years.

Comment by Mikael – June 26, 2013 09:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have my doubts about Niall. I guess it’s because Rutger plays such scary characters. The Ben thing is filler. Nora needs to go away. And what the heck happened to Alcide? What’s he doing living like trailer trash? He has a successful business! He’s no fun anymore. But in spite of all this, I simply love Jessica and Lafayette.
    I also enjoyed the scene with Steve Newlin and his wife.

Comment by Pokie – July 5, 2013 12:42 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I forgot to mention that Pam is another favorite.

Comment by Pokie – July 5, 2013 12:55 AM PDT  Reply To This Post