Fall TV Preview

Parenthood: Ray Romano Books Season 5 Encore

Parenthood Season 5 Ray Romano ReturnsAs Parenthood executive producer David Hudgins indicated to TVLine earlier this month, Ray Romano will reprise his role as Hank during Season 5 of the NBC drama.

RELATED | Parenthood Boss on Sarah’s ‘Wrenching’ Finale Decision! Plus — Season 5 Scoop!

Per our sister site Deadline, the three-time Emmy winner will appear in 12 to 15 episodes — aka a similar stint as last year, the difference being that Parenthood this coming season earned a full 22-episode order.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Thursday — Parenthood Vs. Scandal and Sherlock, and Other DVR Dilemmas

What last we tuned into the family drama, Hank had invited Lauren Graham’s Sarah to move with him to Minnesota, getting a definite-ish possi-maybe answer in return. Sarah had just broken things off with the other man in her life, Mark, played by Jason Ritter (who stars in the midseason Fox comedy Us & Them).

RELATED | Matt Lauria Talks Possible Parenthood Return: ‘I’m Up for It!’

EP Hudgins, meanwhile, assured us that Sarah’s storyline for Season 5 will not focus, as it has in the past, on her roller coaster love life. “There is a very conscious effort on our part to set Sarah on a path that will really let her shine,” he said. “And in conjunction with that, she may still have some love interests.”

Will you welcome Hank back into the Parenthoodverse?

Comments (62)

• Yes, good news! Ray and Lauren had such good chemistry.

Comment by jimbo – June 20, 2013 06:38 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’m so glad to see some of us are happy with this, I just hope this season isn’t all about romance on Sarah’s part

Comment by Maris – June 20, 2013 07:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • “Will you welcome Hank back into the Parenthoodverse?” No.

Comment by Linda – June 20, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • ITA

Comment by Sue – June 20, 2013 08:02 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • I really like lauren but she has to become stronger!I love Ray Romano-he is a terrific actor.Hope
        he returns in some capacity.

Eileen

Comment by lee donovan – July 4, 2013 02:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • MTE

Comment by Dick Whitman – June 20, 2013 08:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • XQV

Comment by Ben – June 20, 2013 08:17 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Not a fan of his character or the pairing at all.

Comment by sa – June 21, 2013 03:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Basically.

Comment by Michi – June 22, 2013 07:11 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • No. Now I know to FF all of his and Sarah’s scenes. Ugh. I can’t believe people want Sarah with a man who knowingly sabotaged her relationship with another. THAT is what people find interesting and romantic and grounds for a great relationship? Nope not for me. Plenty of other characters on the show to invest in.

Comment by Radha – June 22, 2013 03:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about matt lauria?

Comment by joel – June 20, 2013 06:39 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Yes! Please bring Matt back for the full season.

Comment by carly – June 20, 2013 07:53 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I miss Mark already :(

Comment by Tammy – June 20, 2013 06:41 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Me too, I like Hank but Mark was just so sweet. Damn you Jason Ritter for being so talented.

Comment by Elly – June 20, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Don’t worry. I predict Mark will be back before too long.

Comment by Sue – June 20, 2013 08:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yay!!!! I loved his character and how seemlessly Romano fit into the show. Hopefully he’ll get more scenes with the rest of the Bravermans. But I’m just so happy.

Comment by mia – June 20, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YAY! Love this news!

Comment by Rae – June 20, 2013 06:44 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • The greatest news ever!! YAY!

Comment by twighlight123 – June 20, 2013 06:47 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Woot! Yes, I will welcome him back.

Comment by Eliza – June 20, 2013 06:48 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I liked his relationship with Max more than I did his with Sarah.

Comment by Meg – June 20, 2013 06:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • OH NO! Here we go again.

Comment by Jack Bauer 2.0 – June 20, 2013 06:57 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Do not want.If she can’t be with Mark bring someone else in.l

Comment by l – June 20, 2013 07:00 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Like Sela Ward, Lauren Graham has chemistry with everyone/anyone. Ray Romano however does not. It’s all Lauren. I’m liking the last line of this article.

Comment by april-ann – June 20, 2013 07:21 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I disagree. I think he not only has good chemistry with Lauren, but also with Miles Heizer (Drew) and Max Burkholder (Max). Truth be told, I actually like the Hank character a lot better for Sarah than Jason Ritter’s Mark. They’re both damaged individuals, and it feels to me like their broken pieces fit. I never felt that way about Mark and Sarah.

Comment by DL – June 21, 2013 09:26 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Totally agree. Who knew Ray could bring the sexy?

Comment by Reka – September 17, 2013 08:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • It’s bittersweet because realistically Ray Romano’s character is perfect for Sarah, but you just want her to be the happiest that she can be and that’s with Mark.

Comment by Austin – June 20, 2013 07:24 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • This for sure. Mark was the best, wish Jason Ritter luck with his new show, but he has been such a solid character for this series.

Comment by schu – June 20, 2013 07:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • But she wouldn’t have been happy with Mark because he wanted children and she didn’t. Actually, I think neither guy is a good match.

Comment by Alex – June 21, 2013 08:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • God why?

Comment by Joe – June 20, 2013 07:51 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • So Connie Britton gets Coach Taylor and the cute guy on Nashville and they give Lauren Graham Hank??? Seriously? No. I’d rather Sarah Braverman be alone than with Hank. I don”t think he has much to add to her life — he constantly needs her to make him better about his life. I’ve learned to always avoid men like that – no good can come from it. Can’t they just let her get strong and accomplish getting a secure job (that’s not dependent on dating her boss) and having the thrill of being able to independently get a place of her own again? Poor Lauren. :(

Comment by Lily – June 20, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • What does Connie Britton have to do with this?? Lauren said in an interview she hoped Ray came back, so she’s clearly ok with it. Maybe she enjoys good acting. And really, Jason Ritter, Jon Corbett, Billy Baldwin… not really like she got the short end of the stick. And she’s dating Peter Krause… not like she’s into looks.

Comment by Amy – June 21, 2013 01:31 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
      • Well, Amy, did you just seriously diss Peter Krause? Because that makes anything you say automatically invalid. Peter is 10,000 times hotter than Ray … no comparison. And what Lauren has actually said in interviews, if you’ve been paying attention, is that it’s not her favorite thing that Sarah’s storyline is determined by the male guest star of the season and would like for Sarah to become more independent. If you’ve noticed, she stated at Paley fest that it was incredibly difficult for her that Jason Ritter isn’t going to be on the show, and she wears matching necklaces with Jason, Mae & Miles because they became a little family on the show and the set. It’s unfortunate the writers didn’t tap into that more. Most importantly, you failed to address the most important part of what I wrote, which is Hank constantly needs Sarah to make him feel better about his life and that’s a person you don’t want to be in a relationship with. So… no.

Comment by Lily – June 21, 2013 06:52 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I’d rather Sarah’s ex-husband came back into the picture. They had good chemistry and I much prefer John Corbett to Ray Romano.

Comment by Ally Oop – June 21, 2013 10:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh.

Comment by Dick Whitman – June 20, 2013 08:12 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Boooooo! Why can’t they just leave him in Minnesota or whereever he moved off to?

Comment by CR – June 20, 2013 09:11 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I couldn’t agree more!! Please PLEASE let him stay in Minnesota and OUT of Sarah’s life!!! He’s too old, too grumpy and too boring for her! I want a real HUNK and not Hank!

Comment by Caro – June 21, 2013 11:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • yes! he needs to go back to minnesota. hank sucks. bring mark back!!

Comment by kristen – September 27, 2013 10:14 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Don’t care much for him and really dislike the character.

Comment by Diz – June 20, 2013 10:49 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Meh. Hanks ok. Sarah’s a hot mess so I don’t really care either way if he’s on the show or not because she’s my least favorite character.

Comment by Elyse – June 21, 2013 02:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • YESSS! Love his character – and I’m not too concerned if he gets back with Sarah, I just love the weird energy he brings to the show.

Comment by Miranda – June 21, 2013 04:13 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m ecstatic. Bring on season 5! #TeamHank

Comment by Arien – June 21, 2013 04:29 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I do like Hank, he made a good story, but it’s gotta be Mark in the end.

Comment by B – June 21, 2013 04:46 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Mark was so boringly perfect, so excited for Hank’s return!

Comment by Laur – June 21, 2013 05:19 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Hank,hate Mark but really love Seth. Hope he returns because he actually has a part in the family with Drew and Amber. Seth would be a good way to see more of Craig T Nelson too.

Comment by RamonaQ – June 21, 2013 06:15 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • yes. glad he is back. hank is great.

Comment by Patti – June 21, 2013 06:58 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Well I love this show but I am not too happy about this.

Comment by sarah – June 21, 2013 07:24 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I actually did not like Hank’s character at all. He was stubborn and just one big baby. He would ask Sarah to do things purposely so it affected hers and Marks relationship. Horrible choice. Mark was really great and they had awesome chemistry.

Comment by Kaylinb – June 21, 2013 08:07 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Absolutely. I couldn’t stand Mark so I’m glad Jason Ritter is on his own show now (making him unavailable). Hank is flawed but endearing. Mark had no depth. He was like a lonely puppy waiting for her to love him and that sort of thing is disgusting. Plus their “chemistry” was about as interesting as a bowl of oatmeal. I’d rather have not seen either one of them again, though.

Comment by rhf1127 – June 21, 2013 12:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Love Ray, and loved that Sarah & Hank were like a jig saw puzzle, you just knew when it was put together it would be perfect!

Comment by Karen (@ldylkngb) – June 21, 2013 03:18 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, because I like him better then Mark. Nothing against Jason Ritter. ;)

Comment by robinepowell – June 22, 2013 03:16 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Can we just focus on Sarah getting a real bed? Baby steps. Though for these writers — who’ve let Sarah stay stagnant and/or regress for the past four seasons while every other Braverman has moved forward — it might be too big of an ask.

Comment by Jane – June 25, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • What about Ruby, Hank’s daughter. I loved her!!!

Comment by Marilyn – June 28, 2013 11:12 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • This is sad. Hanks character did no favor for Sarah’s. I can see him only bringing her down again. Big mistake.

Comment by ErixN – July 2, 2013 05:03 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • No, loved him on Everybody Loves Raymond, but did not think he had any chemistry with Lauren Graham

Comment by CC – July 5, 2013 05:43 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Parenthood is the best show and so glad it has been renewed, but we have to wait until September.

Comment by Sheryl – July 11, 2013 05:27 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I like Ray Romano on the show…just not a love connection with Sarah…I like Mark and Sarah together. He seems to ground her. They seem to go together better.

Comment by Betty Cooper – July 12, 2013 01:50 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I want Mark back! :(

Comment by Jesse Faulkner – July 13, 2013 10:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes!!! I LOVED Hank. He was such a great soul for Sarah, be it as a romantic insterest or just a good friend. I’m glad Jason Ritter has a new show. I love the actor, but hated Mark & Sarah together. It was so creepy.

Comment by Lisa – July 19, 2013 07:54 PM PDT  Reply To This Post