Parenthood: Ray Romano Books Season 5 Encore

Parenthood Season 5 Ray Romano ReturnsAs Parenthood executive producer David Hudgins indicated to TVLine earlier this month, Ray Romano will reprise his role as Hank during Season 5 of the NBC drama.

RELATED | Parenthood Boss on Sarah’s ‘Wrenching’ Finale Decision! Plus — Season 5 Scoop!

Per our sister site Deadline, the three-time Emmy winner will appear in 12 to 15 episodes — aka a similar stint as last year, the difference being that Parenthood this coming season earned a full 22-episode order.

RELATED | Fall TV Poll: Thursday — Parenthood Vs. Scandal and Sherlock, and Other DVR Dilemmas

What last we tuned into the family drama, Hank had invited Lauren Graham’s Sarah to move with him to Minnesota, getting a definite-ish possi-maybe answer in return. Sarah had just broken things off with the other man in her life, Mark, played by Jason Ritter (who stars in the midseason Fox comedy Us & Them).

RELATED | Matt Lauria Talks Possible Parenthood Return: ‘I’m Up for It!’

EP Hudgins, meanwhile, assured us that Sarah’s storyline for Season 5 will not focus, as it has in the past, on her roller coaster love life. “There is a very conscious effort on our part to set Sarah on a path that will really let her shine,” he said. “And in conjunction with that, she may still have some love interests.”

Will you welcome Hank back into the Parenthoodverse?

1. jimbo says:

Yes, good news! Ray and Lauren had such good chemistry.

• Maris says:

I’m so glad to see some of us are happy with this, I just hope this season isn’t all about romance on Sarah’s part

2. Linda says:

“Will you welcome Hank back into the Parenthoodverse?” No.

3. joel says:

What about matt lauria?

4. Tammy says:

I miss Mark already :(

5. mia says:

Yay!!!! I loved his character and how seemlessly Romano fit into the show. Hopefully he’ll get more scenes with the rest of the Bravermans. But I’m just so happy.

6. Rae says:

YAY! Love this news!

7. twighlight123 says:

The greatest news ever!! YAY!

8. Eliza says:

Woot! Yes, I will welcome him back.

9. Meg says:

I liked his relationship with Max more than I did his with Sarah.

10. OH NO! Here we go again.

11. l says:

Do not want.If she can’t be with Mark bring someone else in.l

12. april-ann says:

Like Sela Ward, Lauren Graham has chemistry with everyone/anyone. Ray Romano however does not. It’s all Lauren. I’m liking the last line of this article.

• DL says:

I disagree. I think he not only has good chemistry with Lauren, but also with Miles Heizer (Drew) and Max Burkholder (Max). Truth be told, I actually like the Hank character a lot better for Sarah than Jason Ritter’s Mark. They’re both damaged individuals, and it feels to me like their broken pieces fit. I never felt that way about Mark and Sarah.

13. Austin says:

It’s bittersweet because realistically Ray Romano’s character is perfect for Sarah, but you just want her to be the happiest that she can be and that’s with Mark.

• schu says:

This for sure. Mark was the best, wish Jason Ritter luck with his new show, but he has been such a solid character for this series.

• Alex says:

But she wouldn’t have been happy with Mark because he wanted children and she didn’t. Actually, I think neither guy is a good match.

14. Joe says:

God why?

15. Lily says:

So Connie Britton gets Coach Taylor and the cute guy on Nashville and they give Lauren Graham Hank??? Seriously? No. I’d rather Sarah Braverman be alone than with Hank. I don”t think he has much to add to her life — he constantly needs her to make him better about his life. I’ve learned to always avoid men like that – no good can come from it. Can’t they just let her get strong and accomplish getting a secure job (that’s not dependent on dating her boss) and having the thrill of being able to independently get a place of her own again? Poor Lauren. :(

• Amy says:

What does Connie Britton have to do with this?? Lauren said in an interview she hoped Ray came back, so she’s clearly ok with it. Maybe she enjoys good acting. And really, Jason Ritter, Jon Corbett, Billy Baldwin… not really like she got the short end of the stick. And she’s dating Peter Krause… not like she’s into looks.

• Lily says:

Well, Amy, did you just seriously diss Peter Krause? Because that makes anything you say automatically invalid. Peter is 10,000 times hotter than Ray … no comparison. And what Lauren has actually said in interviews, if you’ve been paying attention, is that it’s not her favorite thing that Sarah’s storyline is determined by the male guest star of the season and would like for Sarah to become more independent. If you’ve noticed, she stated at Paley fest that it was incredibly difficult for her that Jason Ritter isn’t going to be on the show, and she wears matching necklaces with Jason, Mae & Miles because they became a little family on the show and the set. It’s unfortunate the writers didn’t tap into that more. Most importantly, you failed to address the most important part of what I wrote, which is Hank constantly needs Sarah to make him feel better about his life and that’s a person you don’t want to be in a relationship with. So… no.

• Ally Oop says:

I’d rather Sarah’s ex-husband came back into the picture. They had good chemistry and I much prefer John Corbett to Ray Romano.

16. Dick Whitman says:

Ugh.

17. CR says:

Boooooo! Why can’t they just leave him in Minnesota or whereever he moved off to?

• Caro says:

I couldn’t agree more!! Please PLEASE let him stay in Minnesota and OUT of Sarah’s life!!! He’s too old, too grumpy and too boring for her! I want a real HUNK and not Hank!

• kristen says:

yes! he needs to go back to minnesota. hank sucks. bring mark back!!

18. Diz says:

Don’t care much for him and really dislike the character.

19. Elyse says:

Meh. Hanks ok. Sarah’s a hot mess so I don’t really care either way if he’s on the show or not because she’s my least favorite character.

20. Miranda says:

YESSS! Love his character – and I’m not too concerned if he gets back with Sarah, I just love the weird energy he brings to the show.

21. Arien says:

I’m ecstatic. Bring on season 5! #TeamHank

22. B says:

I do like Hank, he made a good story, but it’s gotta be Mark in the end.

23. Laur says:

Mark was so boringly perfect, so excited for Hank’s return!

24. RamonaQ says:

Love Hank,hate Mark but really love Seth. Hope he returns because he actually has a part in the family with Drew and Amber. Seth would be a good way to see more of Craig T Nelson too.

25. Patti says:

yes. glad he is back. hank is great.

26. sarah says:

Well I love this show but I am not too happy about this.

27. Kaylinb says:

I actually did not like Hank’s character at all. He was stubborn and just one big baby. He would ask Sarah to do things purposely so it affected hers and Marks relationship. Horrible choice. Mark was really great and they had awesome chemistry.

28. rhf1127 says:

Absolutely. I couldn’t stand Mark so I’m glad Jason Ritter is on his own show now (making him unavailable). Hank is flawed but endearing. Mark had no depth. He was like a lonely puppy waiting for her to love him and that sort of thing is disgusting. Plus their “chemistry” was about as interesting as a bowl of oatmeal. I’d rather have not seen either one of them again, though.

29. Love Ray, and loved that Sarah & Hank were like a jig saw puzzle, you just knew when it was put together it would be perfect!

30. robinepowell says:

Yes, because I like him better then Mark. Nothing against Jason Ritter. ;)

31. Jane says:

Can we just focus on Sarah getting a real bed? Baby steps. Though for these writers — who’ve let Sarah stay stagnant and/or regress for the past four seasons while every other Braverman has moved forward — it might be too big of an ask.

32. Marilyn says:

What about Ruby, Hank’s daughter. I loved her!!!

33. ErixN says:

This is sad. Hanks character did no favor for Sarah’s. I can see him only bringing her down again. Big mistake.

34. CC says:

No, loved him on Everybody Loves Raymond, but did not think he had any chemistry with Lauren Graham

35. Sheryl says:

Parenthood is the best show and so glad it has been renewed, but we have to wait until September.

36. Betty Cooper says:

I like Ray Romano on the show…just not a love connection with Sarah…I like Mark and Sarah together. He seems to ground her. They seem to go together better.

37. I want Mark back! :(

38. Lisa says:

Yes, yes, yes, a million times yes!!! I LOVED Hank. He was such a great soul for Sarah, be it as a romantic insterest or just a good friend. I’m glad Jason Ritter has a new show. I love the actor, but hated Mark & Sarah together. It was so creepy.