FX Picks Up Legal Comedy Starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence

Get More: Series Orders

blog_kelsey_Martin_6.19.13FX has picked up a sitcom starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence.

The untitled buddy comedy centers on two vastly different Chicago lawyers (Grammer and Lawrence) who meet in court on what happens to be the worst day of both their lives. Brought together by fate (or maybe greed), the pair develops a partnership and friendship, both of which impact their professional and personal lives.

FX acquired the series through a deal with Lionsgate Television and Debmar-Mercury. Bob Boyett (Full House) and Robert Horn (Designing Women) will executive-produce and pen the series.

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Which TV Shows Have Been Renewed or Cancelled?

“I am excited to be returning to TV and to be working with Kelsey,” Lawrence — who most recently attempted a TV comeback in an ill-fated CBS pilot — said in a statement Wednesday. martin-lawrence“We have a great time together so I am looking forward to making a good show with a lot of laughs.”

Added Grammer — who is fresh off of the Starz drama Boss: “Martin is arguably one of the funniest men alive and after some success in drama I thought it might be time to try my hand at comedy. I am thrilled to have this extraordinary team show me the ropes. All kidding aside, I don’t think a better bunch of talent exists; I am honored and blessed.”

The pickup comes via a 10/90 deal, which means that should the series meets its designated ratings during its initial 10-episode run, FX will order an additional 90 episodes (a la Charlie Sheen’s Anger Management).

Comments (19)

• IMO this has FLOP written all over it.

Comment by lyn – June 19, 2013 04:14 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Kelsy seems to do better at comedy. I think the cable stations are starting to pick up all the best shows.

Comment by Lily – June 19, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I personally loved him on Boss, I wish that show had been given another chance.

Comment by c'est moi – June 20, 2013 12:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I bet FX won’t be so fast to order this series for 100 episodes this time around. Make sure the ratings truely warrant a renewal. FX doesn’t need another Anger Management 2.0 on there hands which ill predict will be buried late night in there schedule before half the order even airs.

Comment by Jared – June 19, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I have been watching reruns of Frasier, having never seen the show during its original run, and I have to say, between that and the first season of Boss, I am officially a fan of Kelsey Grammer. So I’m kind of interested in this, and hope it isn’t too campy and silly.

Comment by the girl – June 19, 2013 04:22 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • I love Cheers and Frasier and enjoyed BOSS. I also was a fan of the FOX show Back to You with Patrica Heaton. His Hank so was horrible though.

Comment by Tori Melching (@lizjaxe) – June 19, 2013 04:58 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • DAMN YOU KELSEY GRAMMER….I want to hate him, but with Martin Lawrence, I might be intrigued to watch!

Comment by Amanda – June 19, 2013 04:27 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I personally can’t wait to see this

Comment by LaurenTVEA (@LaurenTVEA) – June 19, 2013 04:35 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Hopefully they will film in Chicago.

Comment by Scott Brecht – June 19, 2013 06:06 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Well, it’s a multiple-camera so it wouldn’t make that much of a difference.

Comment by Zachary – June 19, 2013 07:04 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • I’m surprised Grammer agreed to co-star with an African American. He’s a notorious bigot.

Comment by Jo – June 19, 2013 07:34 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He’s never been racist, just hates the LGBT community (despite his ex girlfriend claiming he enjoys crossdressing and wanted a devil’s threesome).

Comment by Zachary – June 19, 2013 08:40 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • that doesn’t make sense considering he made a living for like 10 years and continues now from black centric shows on upn and the cw (ie girlfriends and the game) it was only a matter of time before he started in a show with black people

Comment by amichelle – June 19, 2013 08:55 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • He is a conservative and don’t equate that with being a bigot. I love Kelsey and although Frasier was on while raising my kids, I continue to watch reruns everynight on Hallmark. He is a comedic genius.

Comment by Dianne – June 20, 2013 08:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • FX YOU SHOULD PICK UP HAPPY ENDINGS!

Comment by Juan – June 19, 2013 11:36 PM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Let me guess: Kelsey will be the uptight and serious one, not knowing how to relax, and Lawrence will be the noisy loose canon who’s mouth and antics gets them in trouble. They’ll both hate each other at first, but a special case — a case that requires both a bookish by-the-law kind of guy, and somone who’s not afraid to be loud and direct — will come along, and they’ll start up a beautiful, but unlikely, friendship.

How’d I do?

Comment by Danny – June 20, 2013 01:43 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
    • Classic, playing to their strengths (and pretty on target) but I would like to see the opposite. Kelsey as the loose cannon (with the booming voice) and Lawrence as the bookish, straight arrow.

Comment by Dee – June 20, 2013 03:33 AM PDT  Reply To This Post
  • Ugh, another failure with that pompous ass-hat Kelsey. His ship has sailed. This will seem petty, but as Amanda Bynes says…..ugly….

Comment by Ali – June 20, 2013 11:30 AM PDT  Reply To This Post