FX Picks Up Legal Comedy Starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence

blog_kelsey_Martin_6.19.13FX has picked up a sitcom starring Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence.

The untitled buddy comedy centers on two vastly different Chicago lawyers (Grammer and Lawrence) who meet in court on what happens to be the worst day of both their lives. Brought together by fate (or maybe greed), the pair develops a partnership and friendship, both of which impact their professional and personal lives.

FX acquired the series through a deal with Lionsgate Television and Debmar-Mercury. Bob Boyett (Full House) and Robert Horn (Designing Women) will executive-produce and pen the series.

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Which TV Shows Have Been Renewed or Cancelled?

“I am excited to be returning to TV and to be working with Kelsey,” Lawrence — who most recently attempted a TV comeback in an ill-fated CBS pilot — said in a statement Wednesday. martin-lawrence“We have a great time together so I am looking forward to making a good show with a lot of laughs.”

Added Grammer — who is fresh off of the Starz drama Boss: “Martin is arguably one of the funniest men alive and after some success in drama I thought it might be time to try my hand at comedy. I am thrilled to have this extraordinary team show me the ropes. All kidding aside, I don’t think a better bunch of talent exists; I am honored and blessed.”

The pickup comes via a 10/90 deal, which means that should the series meets its designated ratings during its initial 10-episode run, FX will order an additional 90 episodes (a la Charlie Sheen’s Anger Management).

TAGS: , ,
GET MORE: Series Orders

1. lyn says:

IMO this has FLOP written all over it.

2. Lily says:

Kelsy seems to do better at comedy. I think the cable stations are starting to pick up all the best shows.

3. Jared says:

I bet FX won’t be so fast to order this series for 100 episodes this time around. Make sure the ratings truely warrant a renewal. FX doesn’t need another Anger Management 2.0 on there hands which ill predict will be buried late night in there schedule before half the order even airs.

4. the girl says:

I have been watching reruns of Frasier, having never seen the show during its original run, and I have to say, between that and the first season of Boss, I am officially a fan of Kelsey Grammer. So I’m kind of interested in this, and hope it isn’t too campy and silly.

5. Amanda says:

DAMN YOU KELSEY GRAMMER….I want to hate him, but with Martin Lawrence, I might be intrigued to watch!

6. I personally can’t wait to see this

7. Scott Brecht says:

Hopefully they will film in Chicago.

8. Jo says:

I’m surprised Grammer agreed to co-star with an African American. He’s a notorious bigot.

• Zachary says:

He’s never been racist, just hates the LGBT community (despite his ex girlfriend claiming he enjoys crossdressing and wanted a devil’s threesome).

• amichelle says:

that doesn’t make sense considering he made a living for like 10 years and continues now from black centric shows on upn and the cw (ie girlfriends and the game) it was only a matter of time before he started in a show with black people

• Dianne says:

He is a conservative and don’t equate that with being a bigot. I love Kelsey and although Frasier was on while raising my kids, I continue to watch reruns everynight on Hallmark. He is a comedic genius.

9. Juan says:

FX YOU SHOULD PICK UP HAPPY ENDINGS!

10. Danny says:

Let me guess: Kelsey will be the uptight and serious one, not knowing how to relax, and Lawrence will be the noisy loose canon who’s mouth and antics gets them in trouble. They’ll both hate each other at first, but a special case — a case that requires both a bookish by-the-law kind of guy, and somone who’s not afraid to be loud and direct — will come along, and they’ll start up a beautiful, but unlikely, friendship.

How’d I do?

• Dee says:

Classic, playing to their strengths (and pretty on target) but I would like to see the opposite. Kelsey as the loose cannon (with the booming voice) and Lawrence as the bookish, straight arrow.

11. Ali says:

Ugh, another failure with that pompous ass-hat Kelsey. His ship has sailed. This will seem petty, but as Amanda Bynes says…..ugly….