TVLine Items: Doctor Who Star Books Death-ly Role, Ray Donovan Premiere Video and More

Jenna-Louise Coleman Cast Death Comes to PemberleyDoctor Who dame Jenna-Louise Coleman has joined BBC One’s upcoming Pride and Prejudice-based project Death Comes To Pemberley.

RELATED | Doctor Who‘s 50th’s Anniversary Special: Why John Barrowman Won’t Appear

Based on the suspense novel by P.D. James, the serial — which is timed to P and P‘s 200th anniversary — centers on three of author Jane Austen’s iconic characters: Mr. Darcy (played by Matthew Rhys) Elizabeth Bennet (Anna Maxwell Martin) and George Wickham (Matthew Goode).

Coleman joins Pemberley as Elizabeth’s sister and George’s wife Lydia.

Ready for more of today’s TV dish? Well…

• Fans eager for the debut of Showtime’s new drama Ray Donovan need not wait any longer. The cabler on Tuesday released the pilot ahead of its June 30 television premiere. Watch the installment below, then hit the comments with your thoughts.

• The Mickey Mouse of yesteryear is making his way back to Disney Channel. A new 2D animated series, titled Mickey Mouse, bows the weekend of June 28  (8:30/7:30c) with three fresh shorts. New installments will follow on Fridays, beginning July 5.

• TNT’s Falling Skies this Sunday drew just 2.8 million total viewers and a series-low 1.0 demo rating against the NBA Finals and True Blood‘s return, dropping 33 percent from its Season 3 premiere.

RELATED | 2013 Cable TV Renewal Scorecard — Renewed or Cancelled TV Shows?

• HBO’s Hard Knocks will follow the Cincinnati Bengals in its upcoming season, bowing Aug. 6. This marks the second time the team has starred on the NFL training-camp series.

• Michael Gaston (The Mentalist, Damages) has joined HBO’s The Leftovers, a Rapture-esque drama pilot from Damon Lindelof (Lost) and author Tom Perrotta. Gaston will play a man who knows something is amiss and takes (sometimes violent) steps to address it.

• Oscar winner Jonathan Demme (The Silence of the Lambs) has been tapped to direct and produce AMC’s sci-fi pilot Line of Sight. From Brotherhood‘s Blake Masters, the genre-bending project centers on a National Transportation Safety Board investigator who survives a plane crash.

Which TVLine Items have you talking today?

1. wordsmith says:

Definitely looking forward to seeing the radiant Miss Coleman in Pemberley. Lydia is such an obnoxious character; curious to see how she’ll put her spin on that.

2. scooby says:

I’ve seen Anna Maxwell Martin on stage, and she’s a fantastic actress with a lot of charisma (and I’m not saying she’s not pretty), but shouldn’t Elizabeth be more physically beautiful than Lydia as a character? In the novel, she and Jane were supposed to be the best looking Bennet sisters. We definitely hear about her fine eyes a lot. I feel like Anna’s more of a Charlotte Lucas type (or if we’re talking a lead, an Eleanor, Anne Elliot, or Fanny Price) and even when Jenna-Louise has done period (which you’d think of as having makeup that doesn’t look like makeup to maintain the illusion), she was still striking–not really in an Austen kind of way. I like her a lot as well, I just find it jarring that these two are cast the way they have been. Then there’s the fact that Elizabeth would be about 26-27 in this timeline, while Anna’s 36. In Austenland, that’s an eternity. Jenna’s actually the right age for Lizzie, not Lydia, but isn’t the right type for that part. Matthew Rhys is not much beyond where Darcy would be (I could buy sliding everybody up 4 years, but not 10 in only Lizzie’s case) and is a terrific actor, plus a little age would help with Darcy’s gravitas. I’m sure he’ll nail it. I guess they wanted Darcy and Elizabeth to be closer in age, but they’re 8 years apart. Now I get to look forward to someone being nasty and outraged over criticizing an actress’ age and looks. I just disagree about her being the age/type for the part. She’ll act it well, I’ve no doubt there, but you could’ve cast a number of other people to do that.

• Abby says:

That’s the first thing I thought too. “Fine eyes”! There’s no way anyone could call Anna’s eyes “fine”, as much as I like her in other things. I really like Matthew too and he’s got the facial look but is quite short. And Darcy is supposed to be tall. Oh well, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it; I just wish they’d pay a bit more attention when casting.

• Nic says:

@scooby, I haven’t read the book since my freshman year of college but I’m pretty sure Elizabeth was 20. Charlottle Lucas, I believe, was 27. Hence why she agreed to marry Mr Collins, she was a desperate spinster and a burden to her parents.

3. Superhero says:

Watched the Ray Donovan pilot. It can be a bit lacking in subtlety every now and then, and Paula Malcomson’s accent is going to get annoying in a hurry. But overall, it’s pretty good. Feels very in-line with the new direction that Showtime began with Homeland. I’ll be watching.

4. Steve says:

I’m in on Ray Donavan.

5. Stephie says:

Very excited to see more Ray Donovan! Great family drama with interesting characters and well acted. I only wish Ray would shave because I keep seeing Sabertooth. But can’t wait to see more.