It's Official: Girl Meets World Snags Series Order from Disney Channel, 2014 Premiere Eyed

Girl Meets World Premiere 2014 Girl Meets World is officially a go!

Disney Channel on Monday gave a series order to the much buzzed-about Boy Meets World sequel, which stars newcomer Rowan Blanchard as Riley Matthews, the teenage daughter of Cory and Topanga (Ben Savage and Danielle Fishel, reprising their respective roles).

RELATED | Girl Meets World Scoop: Look Who’s Also Returning!

The formal logline for the multi-cam comedy, which is slated to bow in 2014, is as follows:

Set in New York City, the new comedy series will tell the wonderfully funny, heartfelt stories that Boy Meets World is renowned for — only this time from a tween girl’s perspective — as the curious and bright 7th grader Riley and her quick-witted friend Maya (played by Sabrina Carpenter) embark on an unforgettable middle school experience.  But their plans for a carefree year will be adjusted slightly under the watchful eyes of Riley’s dad who’s also a faculty member — and their new History teacher — and Riley’s mom who owns a trendy afterschool hangout that specializes in pudding.

ROWAN BLANCHARD, SABRINA CARPENTERPHOTOS | Girl Meets World First Look: 11 Pics From the Set!

In a statement, executive producer Michael Jacobs said, “Girl Meets World is a new show for a new generation that will be rooted in the same kind of honest, comedic storytelling about coming of age and the importance of family and friendship that made Boy Meets World so popular.”

RELATED | The Boy Meets World Sequel: TVLine Readers’ Top Reactions – and the 7 Best Story Ideas!

OK, TVLiners, don’t even attempt to contain your excitement. Channel all of your enthusiasm in the comments section below.

• Kimski says:

I agree with you. As an adult I still watch Boy Meets World Reruns on Cable. I loved that show and the Cosby show. There aren’t very many family oriented shows on TV anymore. As an adult I too still watch some of the shows on Disney and my daughter is thru College. It’s just nice to see a nice wholesome show.

• LC says:

My girls are both teenagers and we all still watch the Disney Channel sit comes. I love Good Luck Charlie and was sad to see that it’s going away after this season. This news softens the blow a little. I think part of the appeal of these shows for adults is that they bring back memories of the old TGIF line-up that was so popular on ABC. Shows like Full House, Just the Ten of Us, Perfect Strangers and Family Matters were must-see TV in the 80s and 90s. These Disney Channel shows bring back those same themes of importance of family and friends that we grew up on. I’ll be watching Girl Meets World with or without my kids!

• Cara says:

Will Rider Strong be on this show to?? Will Corys parents be regulars? What about his brother Eric and his sister (I dont recall her name at this moment) I hope Rider will be on the show

1. Elyse says:

that news just made this Monday a little bit less terrible!! woo! I won’t even be embarrassed about being an adult watching Disney channel.

2. Lisa says:

RIder Strong?1?!?!

• Lindsay says:

He has already made a statement about not being in the show, which is sad, but he wishes the show the best and I think he left it open for a guest appearance, but he won’t be a regular.

• Lynne says:

The only original cast member set to return is William Daniels *Feeny*, he is atleast in the pilot. Anything beyond that is not known to fans yet, but Michael has said that there is an open invitation to all of them if they ever wish to make a brief appearance. Maybe once the show gets its footing and has garnered its own audience, the originals will pop in from time to time. Just to give it a chance to separate itself from BMW first and let it stand on its own so it is not seen as a BMW Reunion in itself.

3. Elly says:

Yayayayaya!!! If Disney was smart, they’d try and incorporate as much as the old cast as possible-make it a kids and adults show.

• J.W. says:

Exactly. I think the best idea would be for them to follow the approach of the Degrassi reboot.

• NiecyPiecey says:

Yessss J.W. !! Now we’re cooking lol. Degrassi the original was amazing and so was Degrassi: Next Generation (although I don’t know about it now and days) ; Boys Meets World was the best show and I hope they stick to it’s roots and allow GMW to be equally as great.

• layla says:

I am watching boy meets world right now! it is a really good show

• steven says:

Elly rider strong and Will Friedle said they will not join the show at this time they could join later in the series

4. KJ says:

ALL. THE. FEELINGS.

5. Steph says:

So topanga didn’t become a lawyer? She specializes in pudding wtf?

Still excited! Just wish we didn’t have to wait til 2014.

• Lauren says:

Hard for kids to hang out at a law firm, I s’pose, LOL

• Josh says:

Yeah not sure how I feel about that….It seems sort of forced. I guess she could have quit being a lawyer after Riley was born and instead opened up a healthy pudding hang out for kids…but yeah it’s a bit weird.

• MLO says:

Pay attention people!

• Meaghan says:

Well we know how much Cory lives his pudding……… Maybe it stems from that.

• Well I had a professor who owns and teaches at a theater camp for kids and he has a bunch of different degrees (including law). You can use a law degree for more than being a lawyer so she could use it to be a consultant while having the pudding shop as a passion/hobby job. Also, it’s possible she became a lawyer and didn’t want to become jaded and stereotypically lawerly, so she retired from that to do something fun because she won a huge case and didn’t need a huge income cause they’re set for life. But yeah…a pudding store owner and a middle school history teacher…hopefully Topanga already made enough money for them to be set for life cause those two jobs probably don’t bring in a bunch of money. Though it said her pudding shop is a hit…though if it’s an after-school hangout for middle schoolers, I can’t really see older teens going there too.

• J says:

OMG THANK YOU! When I read that, it kind of made me a little. You turned our Headstrong, Opinionated, BRILLIANTLY minded Topanga….in to a a Tween Cafe…that specializes…in…pudding. Uuuuum..ok?

6. Laura says:

Topanga owning a pudding shop?!? Weak. Finance, law, anything but “trendy tween hangout” Not a fan of that.

• She owns her own business. What’s lame about that?

• Brooke says:

Nothing lame at all! A woman-owned successful small business is a nice success. As someone who pursued her dream of going to law school but ended up leaving the legal field in the long run, I will completely get behind the idea of NOT going to law school. There are more ways than that to become successful.

7. Episode I, teaching Riley that Twilight is not literature. :P

8. katy917 says:

Yaaaayyy soo excited!!! :)

9. Liv says:

Topanga was a favorite of mine growing up because she showed me that strong women could be lawyers or politicians, not “trendy afterschool hangout that specializes in pudding” owners. Disappointed.

10. Brittany says:

So very excited!!! I get that some people are upset that Topanga isn’t a lawyer, but she’s a “small business owner,” which is still a strong woman career, if you ask me. And maybe she wanted to be a working mom who took an interest in her kids, and this was the best way for her to do that.

• Ytsken says:

Or maybe she never got a chance to become a lawyer. According to wikipedia Riley’s 13 and she has got an older brother. Boy meets world ended in 2000. In other words: Topanga was either already pregnant or became so soon after the show’s end. And with children to provide for, law school may well have proven to be too time-consuming and expensive. Frankly, I rather like this storyline and hope it’ll become a storyline in the show: Topanga deciding if she wants to pursue her dream now that her children are growing up.

• Ashley says:

^THIS

• JB Smooove says:

i like that idea. people of all ages go to college. not eveyone is in the position to go directly after high school. Life, children, other things come up. All i ask as a BMW fan from back in the day is
        that the parents (cory and togenga) arnt 2d characters like in the original series.

• Ashley Cory and Topanga wont be in every episode like they was in boy meets world they are going to be 2 characters in the show because the show is about riley and her friends kind of like Cory and Shawn was in the original series

• steven says:

Ytsken yesterday Disney destited that riley isn’t going to have a older brother in the show but she will have a younger brother because of the time line when boy meet would ended in 2000. It would been hard to explain how Cory and Topanga had a 14 year old when the show end 13 years ago. The only way it could happen if she got pregnant at the end of season 5 and gave birth to him at the end of season 6 so when the show ended he would been a year old and every one now that never happen.

• J says:

You know what? I never even considered that, I LOVE your point of view, and I too am on board for this!

11. Erin Bought says:

It would seem more likely that Cory or maybe Eric would own the hang out spot and topanga be teacher..

12. Sam says:

Doesn’t anybody remember Cory’s love for pudding? Can’t wait!

• Lizzie says:

Yes!! People need to stop complaing about the whole pudding thing! I didn’t even care that Topanga was a lawyer, I just found it funny that her business specialty was pudding. Took me back to when Cory took the pudding cups to college and Shawn said that it wasn’t cool.

BTW people who are complaining about Topanga not being a lawyer are the same people who are going to complain that its not like the BMW. Different show guys if you want the same show just watch reruns. This is a whole new thing and I can’t wait.

• Miss Ava says:

Thank you for saying that, Lizzie! I’m surprised by all the negative comments from people who think they already know the outcome of the show. Let’s just watch it with an open mind like when we watched BMW with an open mind. I think Michael Jacobs knows what he’s doing and I trust that he, Ben and Danielle will do their best to make a great show. Lighten up, people. It’s just a TV show. No need to get irate.

13. Amy says:

To quote Lily Erickson when she first found out that Robin and Barney were dating, “WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!”

14. Joey says:

So Happy the show got pickup! I hope the old cast will appear in season 1.

15. cuius says:

Let’s hope Disney have learnt a lesson from the subsequent “adult” behavior of some of the graduates from their channel’s output, and the negative PR affect that this must have on their Corporation. Might help if they employed some mentors who could manage the career path of their child stars

• Don says:

It’s not Disney’s responsibility to raise these kids. It starts with “family” and as long as those kids are raised with strong morals and values, I can assure you they will be fine. And if it helps, all BMW cast turned out pretty decent! Best of luck with the show.

• Robert says:

@Don. To say that Disney has NO respinsibility in how these children grow up is… IRRESPONSIBLE. The NFL doesnt shift blame to the parents, but provides mentors for the players. It is everyones responsibility!

• Lauren says:

Cynical fatalist much?

16. Stacey says:

Well it’s very possible she once was a lawyer, and has now stopped. And obviously the joint is supposed to be a new generation “Chubby’s”. Keeps Topanga on the scene, and active with the kids while Cory is at the school. I LOVE it got picked. And I am way to old to care about a kid’s show LOL.

17. Amanda says:

I’m excited…REALLY EXCITED! But Topanga in a pudding shop? Soooooooo not Topanga! Sean or Eric or even Cory in a pudding shop, now that I would buy. O would have rather seen her achieve what she always wanted (to be a lawyer) and one of the guys own the shop, thus giving the adults a place to hangout too. But I will stay optimistic and see where they are going with this! I have my kid watching Boy Meets World on ABC Family and he likes it. HOPEFULLY we can watch this new show together, if I’m still the “Cool Mom” at that time! lol, my popularity seems to change with the wind!!!

• Cory loved pudding – don’t you remember? And she’s a business owner – that’s bad? It will be fine, I promise.

• Amanda says:

It kinda is….she could have still owned a small business and had a law firm or consultant job. But own a pudding shop? That’s like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs working in the Nerd Herd at Best Buy…while I know it’ll be marketed as a kids show, I wish they could sometimes show that the kids can still have a life with parents who works in a more professional setting and also make it to their kids games, home for dinner etc. Now either one parent has a ‘cool’ job or stay-at-home parent (which I’m not knocking, I wish I could be) and the other is MIA workin all the time and is absent. That isn’t fair…just my opinion

• maybe it’s both a pudding shop and a law firm, like how in Harry’s Law the law firm was also a shoe store, lol.

• shahendr says:

So, you’re saying that owning a business is less professional than being a lawyer?

• Amanda says:

No what I’m saying is why a pudding shop? Most people who owns a pudding shop would have a love for the art that is pudding. In BMW, Topanga love was the law, so why is it so unreasonable for her to follow it? Why is it that the man in the show can be a history teacher, but the only way to profile the woman is to make her own a pudding shop which is so left-field from what the character of Topanga was. Topanga was never the “cool” one and that worked because not everyone strived to be in “cool” one growing up. So many girls (myself included) bonded with that character because she represented what a strong female could be without all the bitchy qualities they give the strong female characters. Topanga, the nerd she was, in my eyes was the “cool” one of the show. Did I see her in Corporate America”? No, I seen her doing a lot of pro bono work and helping out the community. But like I said I will stay optimistic and see where this goes…

• “why a pudding shop?” because Cory loves pudding. it’s a joke informed by a character trait.

• Missmurray says:

And would you bitch if it was Cory with the pudding job? I love it when feminists complain over stupid stuff like this. Too bad women can’t do what THEY WANT TO DO without some feminist telling them they can’t do it cause it doesn’t fit into what a “strong woman” is supposed to be.

• Drew says:

Working at the Buy More was sad… when he bought the Buy More it was far less pathetic. She isn’t a waitress, she is apparently a smart and successful woman who found a way to mix her work with her family so that she wouldn’t need to sacrifice either. How many parents wish they could do that?

18. Briana says:

This is the best news I have ever received.

19. mia says:

I thought Topanga went to law school. As much as I love pudding (and I do), but the woman wanted to be a lawyer. I’ll be bummed if they took that away from her character.

• Stacey says:

It’s very possible she did, but isn’t anymore. Or this is a side business to keep up with her kids. I had heard she did go to law school and became a lawyer. Doesn’t mean she still is though. Maybe now that her kids are growing up, she wanted a different career…

• Robert says:

Maybe she opens up the pudding shop in the first episode. It takes money to run a business, so its very likely she worked as a lawyer and now wants to be with her children. Whats so wrong with that?

20. Miss Ava says:

this deserves a Napoleon Dynamite YESSSS!!!

21. CJS says:

This news deserves a Cory & Shawn happy dance.

22. Joe Petitjean says:

Can’t wait

23. Courtney says:

Wow, what’s going on? Are people just looking to pick a fight? Just because some wish she had followed what she had wanted to do in the original series, doesn’t mean they don’t think that owning a small business isn’t a great goal, or is ‘less’ professional. Perhaps people just wish that Topanga Lawrence would have become and been a great lawyer, and it’s just a little disappointing to know that she, instead, started running a business that ‘specializes’ in her Husbands favourite snack = \ …

• flutiefan says:

THANK YOU.
      just because i don’t buy the plot-line of having her own a pudding shop, doesn’t mean i am putting down small business owners! geeeez people, get a grip!

24. Brandy says:

Ugh, I don’t want to have to deal with this 7th grader and her friend crap. Just give me Cory and Topanga!

• Dave says:

The show is called Girl Meets World, not Let’s See What Cory and Topanga and Shawn are Doing Now. You, and seemingly a lot of people, are going to be disappointed with this show.

25. Wesley says:

I too am disappointed that Topanga isn’t a lawyer. The entire final episode and reason for them going to New York was for her to go to law school. I also loved that scene in their apartment when Topanga was telling Cory that she was scared about failing; which was touching because we never saw Topanga doubt herself very much. I also liked the idea, since this show is viewed from a girls perspective, showing career women who can also be good moms.

I don’t know if this keeps Topanga in the show more, then I’m for it. And owning your own business now matter what it is is a feat. I’m sure, knowing Topanga, that her pudding store will be more successful than any pudding store has a right to be. I trust Michael Jacobs and Ben and Danielle, so I’m keeping an open mind until I actually see it.

I thought I read somewhere that in the Pilot, it was Cory’s first day of being a teacher. I thought it would be interesting if Cory was a stay at home dad while the kids were young while Topanga was becoming a lawyer, and now that they’re both older he’s going into the work force. It would be cool if got a masters degree through an online college while taking care of the kids.

Also, @Michael Sacal. A pudding store/law firm, lol. That’s insane! But maybe just insane enough to work.

• Heather G. says:

If she left for Law School and found out she was pregnant, it could have made it a little difficult to finish in any timely manner. The beauty of Topanga is that she always has been a strong, smart, woman, and she was likely both strong and smart enough to make the decision to revamp her dream for her newly forming family.

26. Babybop says:

All I want is for them to keep the morals of the first show. Please, Disney, PLEASE don’t make this another show where the main character is trying to be famous. Bring the Lizzie McGuire/Boy Meets World vibe of tackling real problems!

27. hoping says:

I hope they do a 9/11 flash back since they moved to New York right before it all happened!

• Rob says:

Thanks for that, Debbie Downer.

• Justin says:

I think they meant it as more of a bringing the real world into the universe thing references to real life events are popular because they give the illusion that you can somehow relate to the characters. a flashback wouldn’t be the best idea but maybe a vague reference, still I doubt they will even add that. its disney, its gonna be too happy to show the “real world” even if world is in the name XD

28. Elizabeth says:

I can’t wait! I just hope it’s good.

29. Bill says:

After reading these comments: You people take your entertainment WAY too seriously. It’s a TV show with fictional characters, for heaven’s sake. Relax, all.

30. Steve F. says:

No complaints from me… but is that Shireen Baratheon with Cory and Topanga’s daughter?

31. A says:

best news ever

32. Midori says:

If you are going to have a spinoff at least make it fit in. A pudding shop is just weird. They better say she also works as a lawyer on the side helping needy people without any money.

• Kyle says:

Too weird for a girl named Topanga? Who did an interpretive dance drawing on her face with lipstick? A pudding bar might be just quirky enough to work. Lets wait and see.

33. Ciara says:

I want Eric and Feeny to be in a scene together.
    Ffffffeeeeenaaaay! Feeenay! Fffeeeeeenaaaay!

• A says:

Since Feeney is coming back I am sure Eric is there. Even if we don’t see him. Eric is there hiding in the distance, stalking Feeney. Probably dancing with Squirrels

34. Missmurray says:

I’m sorry, but name me one person who hasn’t changed professions? You know, if it was Cory, none of you would complain. But because topanga is a woman, she somehow deserves special treatment.

• Courtney says:

I’m actually not happy with what Cory is doing either. Cory Matthews: History Teacher? I get that it was called “Boy Meets World” and was all about Cory growing up and becoming more mature, and adult, and whatever… but I just don’t see him as a Teacher. It fits with the show, I guess, but I don’t feel like it fits with the character.

• A with Mr. fenny back that doesn’t mean Eric is going to be there or hiding or anything

35. Melissa says:

While I am not sure I would have chosen a “pudding shop,” I don’t know where I would have her working. I don’t see her being career-less, but working in law can take over your life and may have limited the show’s ability to show her being a wife and mother (which is really what her main role on this show needs to be).

Burger joint wouldn’t feel right, hair salon or Avon lady would be patronizing, and they already have one school teacher in the family (which I think is a good place for Cory’s character). As far as we know she didn’t go to med-school. We were never told exactly what she majored in at Pennbrook, but apparently she was pre-law.

Topanga’s career should be something challenging, but not too time consuming or mainstream. Something that is not a stereotypical female job, but still lets her be a wife and mother. And, if they are staying true to the show and the characters, something where she makes more money than Cory. That is where I see Topanga.

36. Courtney says:

Let’s just hope they tell us what happened. Some mention of Topangas internship, and why she isn’t into Law now. The writers/creator/actors – everyone – knows that this show is going to be watched very carefully/harshly by fans of the original, so here’s hoping they acknowledge what their lives were like in the former series, and explain why it’s no longer that way.

37. rachclev says:

While I understand the hard feelings about tapanga owning a “pudding shop” (I grew up with and loved BMW)…we need to remember that this is now our show anymore. I too was frustrated about that change but then after doing some reading, they have made it clear that this is not a boy meets world reunion. It is its own show and they want to establish it as such. Which is understandable. They want to give the kids today their own show they can relate with and grow up loving, just as they did for us. I am happy that the show has some ties to Boy meets world, but it isn’t a reunion show. It’s not our show anymore, so we can’t be mad if changes have been made to it in order to make it Girl meets world rather than Boy meets world. We need to step aside and allow TODAYS world to enjoy this new show as their own. And who knows, it may be more satisfying to us and BMW then we are giving it credit for. I for one, have faith in the writers and am excited for it. But I refuse to watch it with the idea that BOY MEETS WORLD IS BACK. Because then you have high expectations and are going to be disappointed. You must watch it with the idea that it is a new show and something kids can enjoy. Then it will be exciting and surprising. Remember, our show is gone, retired. It’s their turn. Let them have it now.

38. Jason says:

It will be interesting to see the backstory behind the decisions to put Topanga in a pudding shop. Remember, while this won’t be Boy Meets World: Next Generation, it is still from the same exact people that made BMW. I have faith they will respect the BMW characters and give us a reasonable explanation for what is happening. I have heard a lot of good theories for why Topanga is not in law anymore and would accept them. Topanga may have become a lawyer, then decided that she wanted to be closer to her kids. She could have failed at becoming a lawyer as well. I can’t wait to see Fishel tackle either one of those storylines. Also, wouldn’t it be funny if she owns a pudding shop, and makes all of her pudding be organic and healthy and all the kids hate it but hang out there anyway because its a cool place? She can still be a strong character, and own her own business. Don’t be silly people. And Cory a teacher? Perfect!!! He has always been portrayed as a character with a good heart who cares about people, and being a teacher is a great way to reinforce that.

39. Lisa says:

I would like to see Eric (Will Friedle) have a reoccurring cameo as the crazy local weatherman. The kids can watch wacky Uncle Eric on TV. It will give Eric an excuse to still be his wild self.

40. Kel says:

Paging Dr. Pudding. Dr. Chocolate Pudding.

41. Paige says:

Excited is an understatement!

42. Tookie Clothespin says:

My favorite part of this is that a bunch of adults are arguing the minutiae of a children’s TV show and seem to be getting upset about it. I loved Boy Meets World in its original run and still watch it in reruns but, holding the new show to the standard of the old show is a little ridiculous. They aren’t making the show for me or people my age(32). It is for 12-13 year olds. Get a grip people.

• Dave says:

Thank you. All of these people are going to be severely disappointed when they realize that the old characters are not the main focus of the show.

• Dave girl meets world shouldn’t be just about Cory and Topanga anymore like they was in boy meets world this show should be about there daughter riley and I’m not going to be disappointed at all I care that about that Cory and Topanga are going to be in the show again

• Tookie Disney and Cory and Topanga said they want to keep it like boy meets world so the original fans can watch it too along with the new generation why people are holding girl meets world to the standard of boy meets world they don’t want this show to tarnish the history and memories of the original show had on people and I don’t see anything wrong with that

43. WingsStef says:

Awesome! Glad to see how Cory and Topanga turned out, but also very excited to see how Riley is and will be.

44. Tonton says:

Ok ok wait a minute. People are blowing things way out there. It’s not about Topanga not becoming a Lawer it’s more about making a show that can have family value. It to have a mom to have time to help her daughter with her problems and helping the other kids. It’s not a bag thing. It also shows that things may not always turn out the way teenagers think they will. I think it’s good. It shows her happy and making it as a mom. It shows that a women can do anything and be proud of themselves for being a mom and owning their own business. I can’t wait for the show to start. I think it will be just as big as BMW. Witch was one of the best shows ever made for TV.

45. Nadia says:

Watched boy meets world since I was 5, I’m now 23 yearld old. Can’t wait to see topanga and cory again. Please incorporate the whole entire old cast feeny, shawn,angela, rachel, eric, jack, corys parents!!! I love the show and the values that they taught each episode. I can’t help being sad at the tv shows they have for children now. Teaching them that beauty is everything, that money is something we should value, that school is a popularity contest.The actors that are supposed to be role models doing drugs, showing off their bodies. Boy meets world focused on family,friendship, and learning life lessons. Hoping the writers bring forth originality that I have only seen in boy meets world.

46. Carlyn says:

What about morgan what will the aunt be!!!!!!!!!

47. partyintheusa says:

OMGGGGG!!!!! I can’t wait!!!! I wanna watch it so bad, I loved that show aa a kid, I was sad when it was the last season. I hope it stays good and not be extra like The Game on BET. Please don’t change too much :-)

48. partyintheusa says: