True Blood Season 6 Premiere Recap: Kill Bill

true-blood-s6-premiere-300In “Who Are You, Really?” the sixth season premiere of True Blood, we get one semi-major death, a coupla big entrances (ack! — it’s The Hitcher!), a werewolf ménage à trois and the perfect new nickname for the post-Lilith merger Bill: Billith. (Well done on that one, Pam. As usual.) So what do you say? Shall we dive in?

THE GREAT ESCAPE | Picking up right where Season 5 left off, Sookie, Eric, Jessica, Pam, Tara, Nora and Jason beat a hasty retreat just as Billith blows Authority HQ to smithereens and flies off like — as Jason so eloquently puts it — a “nekkid evil Superman.” As soon as our heroes are safe, Nora glamors Jason into revealing what he knows about Warlow. This so ticks him off that he has a full-on redneck fit, pulls a gun on Eric’s “sister” (oh, do it already! Please!), disowns his own sister and decides to hitchhike home. But who would pick up a hitchhiker covered in gore in the middle of the night? Ack — it’s The Hitcher! Rutger Hauer, aka Warlow, that’s who!

PHOTOSTrue Blood Hot Shots: Bill Cleans Up, Eric Gets Down ‘n’ Dirty, Sookie Looks Surprised

POLITICS AS USUAL | As good ol’ boy Governor Burrell gives a speech authorizing the forcible closing of all fanger-run businesses, he’s pelted with blood by a vampire-rights activist. (His daughter, Willa, I presume?) As soon as he’s done, he runs straight to the makers of Tru Blood about secretly jump-starting their operation in order to fund his reelection campaign. (Is it just me, or is Arliss Howard sorta going for a Lex Luthor-meets-Principal Snyder from Buffy vibe?)

BLOOD FEUD | Immediately annoyed by Nora (join the club), Pam asks Eric what most viewers spent the last season wanting to: “Who the [bleep] is Mary Poppins, and can I kill her?” In response, he doesn’t just defend the Brit, he’s nasty to his progeny, who is then comforted by her progeny, Tara… to whom she is, in turn, nasty. “You can’t replace him,” Pam hisses. But Tara’s so eager to try that, when the government shows up at Fangtasia to shut the place down, she takes a bullet (a laser? Something new?) for her maker.

DOGGONE | Before Luna dies from her season-ending stint in Steve Newlin drag, she makes Sam promise to take care of Emma. (Luckily, the first person the duo runs into after the little girl is orphaned is Lafayette, who not only makes her a snack but promises to “do something with [her] hair, too.”) Meanwhile, Alcide munches on the late JD so as to officially assume the mantle of packmaster. (So many hoops to jump through!) Moments later, Rikki catches the dawg in the buff (when isn’t he?), making out with a vixen named Danielle. Rather than chew him out, she initiates a threesome — a curious way to prove she’s his “No. 1 bitch,” but he hardly objects.

FATHER’S DAZE | Though Andy wants to slouch away from his responsibilities as the babydaddy of four half-fairy newborns, Arlene reminds him that “when you stick Mr. Happy inside somebody’s hoo-ha without a raincoat,” that’s the kinda [bleep] that happens. By the following morning, he’s no longer the father of four newborns, anyway — they magically seem to be… ack! It’s The Hitcher! (No, not this time.) They magically seem to be about 4 years old!

STAKEOUT | After Billith nearly kills Jessica by aggressively summoning her to him (cue the bloody puke and writhing), Sookie stakes him while he’s fighting Eric. But, like the honey badger, Billith don’t care; he’s able to remove the stake more easily than I’ve ever been able to remove a splinter. Following this altercation, Jessica — never the sharpest fang in the mouth — elects to stay with her maker (who describes himself as “Bill Compton… and something more”), and Eric returns to Sookie the ownership of her home. (Her first order of business after that sweet gesture: rescind his invitation to said home! Gran would be ashamed!)

Okay, your turn. What did you think of the season premiere? How would you rate its director, Stephen Moyer? WTH did it mean when all those bloody Liliths leapt into Bill at the end of the episode? Hit the comments.

TAGS: ,
GET MORE: Premieres, Recaps

1. strachpa says:

Yea…I thought it was……odd?

• Claudia says:

Ditto. True Blood isn’t cool anymore. Hell, I might even say that crappy TVD does a better job portraying fake vampires.

• wordsmith says:

As opposed to the real vampires portrayed in Twilight.

• Dr Mantis Toboggan says:

I’m with you folks on this one. I think the show jumped the shark last year. This may be the nail in the coffin. Seriously?.. cFairy babies, Super Bill, Vampire Tara, and how dumb does Jason Stackhouse have to be to get into a creepy with an even creepier old man? C’mon!

• dee123 says:

Ugh. No. If TVD shows them better, we all might as well give up now.

• Whatever says:

Granted TB is not at it’s best but it’s still better than listening to Elena’s whine on TVD.

2. Warren says:

I actually really liked it! It was a nice, slow, plot-driven episode- a welcome change of pace from all the crap this show has constantly been throwing around the past two seasons. I really hope the show keeps up like this.

• Guess says:

I thought it was a really solid premiere that tap into every major plotline for the season as well as to answer the cliffhanger for the last one. RIP Luna and good luck Sam, he and Andy are goin to have big troubles trying to raise children from different species (or fighting said species if Alcide has something to say about it).

I liked Sookie and Eric interaction, Bill and Jessica dynamic and, particularly, Jason and Nora because the audience can see where they come from.

Bonus points for getting Medium’s Captain Push in the role of the Governor, I can’t wait to see what’s next.

3. andrew says:

why kill luna?

• Suz says:

A cute pup. Sam gets to be a parent.

• Elly says:

NOOOOOOOOO! I loved Luna, Sam would have been her Dad anyway. I don’t know why they needed to kill her off, she was so good for Sam.

Andy’s 4 girls cracked me up, although I don’t understand why Sookie didn’t grow at the same rate. Alcide…..I don’t even know……La Fayette remains my fave!

• Shaun says:

um,no….her grandma is still alive

• Elly says:

Um yeah-if Luna stayed alive, Sam still would have been acting as her father figure.

• Leslie says:

Luna had to die. If she had lived, everyone would be looking for her and Emma and they would have had to go into hiding, effectively leaving the show and making Sam pretty useless.

• Guess says:

Skinwalkers die after too many changes into a human. It would go against the show continuity to kill off Tommy, but let Luna live afterthey suffered from the same condition.

4. D says:

Loved it!!!!

5. Leonela says:

I think the Eric / Sookie moment should have more in detail. You realize how much love Eric has for her and how exhausted she is from all that has happened to her. Alao the Nora comment about he being Eric’s weakness cannot be ignored.

• Amanda says:

This is why I thought the episode was good. The looks and feelings exchanged between Sookie and Eric were awesome. Too bad she recinded his invitation (boo Sookie!).

• Cj says:

I agree. I also feel like they are setting Eric up to die for Sookie. Like he has changed to be better “person” and that would make that ultimate sacrifice ( it is HBO anyone can go) That being said I hope Nora goes soon I agree with Pam she is super annoying.

6. Cari says:

Liked it a lot. Heartbreaking when Sookie rescinded Eric invitation. It’s going to be a crazy season….let the wild rumpus start!

7. S says:

I didn’t like that Sookie rescinded Eric :( I mean why? he’d never hurt her so what is the point? Eric and Pam relationship is one of my favs on this show so the way it was going tonight was not fun to watch.. I however did like the Pam, Nora, Jason scenes.. So Beel is more powerful now? gee what a surprise NOT

8. Pati says:

I also really liked it and the next few weeks looks great. I was really hoping that Sookie and Eric would at least kiss. If this was a real life situation I would say she made a great decision sending him home and ending things but since this is for my entertainment I really hope Eric doesn’t listen to her, I need a Sookie and Eric hoop up.

9. Maddie says:

Once they got back to Bon Temp, I really liked it too. Glad to finally know who Warlow is and he seems like he’s gonna be a good baddie. Nice start.

10. Mick says:

I feel this is the most coherent premiere in years. I think it may turn out better than I thought it would.

11. Kim says:

Actually, the fandom came up with the name “billith” right after the finale last year … Pam using that term was clearly a nod to trubies.

• Jil says:

Yeah I noticed that right away in the recap. I thought “Billith” was a well-known nickname since last year. Def. a nod to the fans.

12. Cherie says:

After the mess that was S5, I am thrilled with tonight’s episode.

And please, let Stephen Moyer direct more episodes. Thought he did a great job. And he had a premiere episode to boot!

13. t86 says:

Well, i really liked this premiere. it was intense, electric..and i’m actually very excited to see what comes next. Glad to see True Blood back!

14. Anthony says:

Loved it. I’ll always stick with this show.

15. Lee says:

I thought it was OK. The show needs to realize that Bon Temps IS a character on this show…all of the action needs to be set THERE. Someone needs to Kill Norah ASAP, Luna shouldn’t have died (there was more story there), Alcide is the most thankless character in the history of TV. His sparring partner Rikki needs to go, too. His dad is the worst actor in the world. Bring the focus BACK to the core characters; no ONE cars about the werewolves…and after all of the big bads this show has had over the years, we’re supposed to be scared of a human Governor? Please…

• Amanda says:

Totally agree that Bon Temp is a character. The focus last season on the Authority really hurt the show, I thought. And yes, please stick a stake in Nora and kill Rikki (she is so gross) or send her away. Sooooo annoying. Did not care that Luna died though, I never thought she was a needed core character.

• Ernesto says:

I am confused on what was the cause of death for Luna? How did she die?

16. Katie says:

Does anyone know where I could find season 6 episode 1 online? I’m having quite the difficult time finding it :/

17. Andrew Doehrman says:

Rutger Hauer is playing Niall, Sookie’s fairy godfather, not Warlow.

• Robert Laffoon says:

Actually if you look it up he plays both characters: True Blood (TV series)
      Macklyn Warlow / Niall Brigant

18. mm says:

best episode in a loong time i mean since season 2. This was the true blood i love and fell in love with. Tonite’s show was amazing loooved it!

19. david says:

annoying show im just watching out of habbit and small chance that positive change will occur. and i didnt find this recap funny (sorry maybe im tired)

20. Jil says:

I was pleasantly surprised by the 1st ep. I really enjoyed it and hope it lasts through the whole season. I wish they hadn’t killed Luna though- I actually really liked her. And can we be done with the naked bloody chick already?

21. Dan says:

I watch this show for three reasons. 1: Lafayette 2: Pam. 3: Nakid Alcide. Everything else is filler.

22. Talia says:

I enjoyed the premiere but already hate the Andy baby daddy storyline. True Blood needs to lose some of the dead weight human characters who drag the show down. Also enough of naked Lillith, she needs to be forgotten like most of season 5.

With Luna dead I hope the actress joins Game of Thrones as one of the Martells. Janina is gorgeous.

• RichieS says:

I hope she comes back on Arrow as Oliver’s cop gf.

• waterbug says:

Maybe Lafayette will conjure her up…

• Judle Milkberry says:

Totally agree about the dead weight. Lets get back to when True Blood was great, seasons 1 and 2 and 3. Get rid if Billith and all new dross from series 5 and bring back lovely Bill.

• #1EricFAN says:

Agree about the dead weight, but I think there is MUCH less of it now. At least there was in the premier.
        I loved it!!!! I think it will be good that AB stepped down. MORE ERIC!

23. Carolyn says:

Good first show, last year was very difficult to watch, hope this season is better. Jason needs to snap out of it, and get back to his doofus self, Pam needs to take Nora out, Tara is starting to get on my nerves, and Jessica needs her butt kicked, as for Billith, I hope it’s only a temporary change for Bill. Finally Sookie needs to snap out of it!! and see Eric lives her, I’m getting tired of waiting for them to hook up!!

• Shaun says:

Pam is way younger than Nora….she’d take a whoopin

• Alice says:

Tara is just starting to get on your nerves? She of the unnecessary high levels of anger at everything has been the most annoying character on the show for years. The lowest moment was when they made her a vampire- just as we were so close to being rid of her

24. katherine says:

ive been a fan since the first episode i really loved the show i must say i always loved the way eric and sookie react to each other i didnt like the way the show end their relationship it wasnt fair, and tonight sookie rescinding erics invitation was not necessary i get their trying to make a more mature and strong sookie but that doesnt mean she needs to be rude to the only man-vampire whos always got her back even when she doesnt deserve it.

25. Dena says:

I hope Eric & Sookie get back together eventually but doesn’t seen like it will be this season. I SO hope they don’t follow the book ending!

• Tamara says:

I deeply hope that nobody will ever follow the idiotic book ending! That was the most ridiculous book series ending that ever happened in the whole world! And I truthfully hope that Sookie will end up with Eric, who is the most watch-worthy character on the show.

• Fran says:

I liked the book ending. I thought the signs were there all along about who she would end up with. It may mot have been my choice but I understood it when I thought about it clearly. Just my opinion though.

26. Amy says:

They’re a great cast but the shows still needs a character cull and less meandering plot lines. And the werewolf pack snoozer… there are other ways to justify Alcide running around naked y’know.

27. RyanC says:

Am I the only one who doesn’t have a problem with Nora? For me, I’d rather the entire Alcide storyline was abandoned. He’s pretty to look at, but his entire plot consists of excuses to have him take his clothes off.

• Meredith says:

I’ll join your team, I like Nora. She seems to be the only one who fully realizes how much trouble they’re in and might be able to do something about it. And now that Alcide isn’t interacting w/ any of the core characters anymore I don’t see the point in keeping him around either. All the peripheral stories are what’s bringing this show down.

• Kessa Haych says:

Can i join the Nora appreciation club? / i think it’s great that Eric has a strong ally in his ‘sister’, during a time when Sookie has pushed him away and the humans could regain the upper hand against the vampires. Also Lucy Griffiths is gorgeous and cute.

• Lee No says:

This! I’d watch a show that’s only Lucy Griffiths talking and being gorgeous tbh. But also as a character I feel Nora has become much more interesting since abandoning the religious fanatic line.

28. Romy says:

The Eric-Sookie scene where he gives her back her house had me crying! He was so sweet, reminded me of the Amnesiac Eric (without the cluelessness) and rescinding of his invitation? The Eric-Sookie theme playing and the fact that he stayed for so long after the door closed. But then Nora kinda ruined it. I say kinda ’cause the ‘you’re in love with her and she’s your weakness’ at least redeemed it a little.

29. WTactualF says:

My biggest problem with the TB writers is that they have a good, shocking plot line, but they never follow through with it. They always back down at the last minute. They Kill Tara, but oh no, she’s not dead, she’s a vampire. They turn Bill into the bloody Billith evil monster, but oh wait. He’s not really bad. He’s Bill Compton.

Grow some balls TB writers.

• Fran says:

Wow I thought it was pretty obvious that Bill still isn’t “Bill ” and that we’ll see more of that in the coming episodes.

• Fran says:

Then again…. u never know with this show.

• Waitingsux says:

There’s a spoiler out there that said by the end if the season he’ll be redeemed. How? I don’t know. I think they’ve taken his character too far. The only redemption for him is the true death.

• ImSmarterThanYou says:

Eric gets killed. Bill uses Billith powers to bring back Eric. Billith powers leave Bill. Fans are happy, characters are redeemed and restored. Show goes on.

30. Jake says:

TVD SUCKS! If I wanted to watch a bunch of EMO vampires, I would friggin watch Twilight. So sick of Elena, and ooh, I don’t want to be a vampire and whine whine whine, plus she cannot act her way out of paper sack.
    True Blood rocks.

• Kessa Haych says:

haha i love this comment!! i totally agree with you mate, i watched season 1 of tvd and its so frustrating watching that love triangle the focus of every season. personally i adore true blood for its shocks, nude scenes and great balance between storytelling and comedic relief.

31. Brad says:

That wasn’t warlow in the car. It’s the Stackhouse grandfather. He says ‘You can’t keep warlow away from sookie’ or something like that. If it was warlow he would say ‘You can’t keep me away from sookie’.

Also warlow is a vamp. Vamps can’t just vanish into thin air. He is a powerful fairy. Warlow is the scary looking guy that you see in all the previews.

32. vallikat says:

At the end of last season I wasn’t sure if I was going to go on watching True Blood. In fact I felt that way at the end of the last 2 seasons. However, here I am back again. I did like last night’s show. I don’t mind that they killed off Luna since I wasn’t really invested in this character. Nora really is completely annoying. I didn’t understand why the goon squad came in guns ablazing to shut down fangtasia. I understand that the business has been ordered shut-down but uh…isn’t it closed already? So what was with all the theatrics? Poor Jason really is too dumb for his own good. Poor Jessica really is too trusting for her own good (and Bill is perfectly well aware of that). And speaking of Bill, I can’t imaging that he survives this season. I can’t imagine where they can possibly go from here. I suppose they can take the easy way out and have his demons cast out and he just goes back to be vampire Bill again. However I think that would be a bit contrived at this point. If they don’t go that route though, then I think true death is the only other way out. As to Warlow, I’m curious right now but this should prove very intersting. Oh and as to Andy’s babies, I think this was a huge waste. At their current rate of growth I suppose they’ll be all grown up by the time we hit the season finale and the I guess their mama will wisk them off to fairy land and that will be that. Boring filler.

33. Bobby says:

I liked the first episode. I didn’t think it was too slow at all, I thought it took its time and answered some questions and sent us headlong into the new season. Now I hope the war against vampires doesn’t run the entire season and I hope that Billith kills the governor. I’m anxious to see Warlow, and given that’s he’s supposedly Lilith’s progeny, how will he interact with Billith?
    Looking forward to this season but am leery of it getting repetitious or killing off regulars just to have something to do.

34. Charli says:

They started losing me middle of last season and last night didn’t help..Might not watch this season..

35. Fernanda says:

if tb writers would follow Charlaine’s books, Bill will become boring, and we will see the were tigers (please no more supernatural creatures on the show!!). I don’t care the political issues, they are in the series from the beginning, True Blood should bring back the romance and obviously the intense sex scenes between the main characters.
    I want to see more Eric/Sookie this season.
    Besides the rating results of this season premiere I want just one other and final season of True Blood, but after read the last book, HBO should give us the finale that all fans we want to see.

36. BrianR says:

Luna better not be dead because she has the best breasts on the show.

37. Tinemi says:

I still remember the time when a True Blood premiere made my heart rate rise. Now is just “meh”. Last season seriously damaged my enjoyment of this series, and last night episode didn’t make a lot to help with that.

38. Whatever says:

The 1st episode is already better than last season.(What a mess that was)
    I still enjoy the show. Haters are gonna hate.
    Sookie resending Eric’s invitation after he came to help her & Jessica and gave her the house back was just sad.

39. David says:

Luna is alive. The humans found and revived her and will be experimenting on her.

The old creepy guy that picked up Jason isn’t Warlow. He’s Sookie’s and Jason’s 15X’s Faery great grandpa. The one that started the Stackhouse Faery line.

• Scott says:

The Authority guards found her, kicked her, and declared her dead. I’d say she’s dead. Although I suppose she could skinwalk into a dead body.

40. Danielle H. says:

This was not as bad as I thought it would be. I actually didn’t mind it; I loved the Eric/Sookie moments. The fairy baby storyline is another smoke monster.. PASS. There is alot going on, but if they do the whole season like this then they will be ok. I just really wonder what is going on with Bill and the whole reality of the situation. I have some hope that this season might actually still be watchable. Can’t wait until Anna Camp shows back up though!!!!

41. vannesa says:

Honestly so far it was a good episode,but true blood use to be a really good show idk whst happened,like last season it was all about the authority thst was boring

42. Kessa Haych says:

brilliant episode. back on form and love rutger hauer.

sad to see luna die or did she? – sam’s shapeshifting brother tommy never died from skinwalking so how can luna? im on the fence about that one.

interested to see the development of andy’s fae babies, and sookie trying to find the person she was back in season 1. From the opening episode everything looks very promising for the season ahead.

43. Mikael says:

I felt like the premiere did a good job starting to clean up the mess that was last season (plus 3 and 4.) Lafayette is best in small doses, and the rapid-aging fairy babies says to me that they’re accelerating that plot so it can just end already. I bet they’re building to the fairy war or something. Alcide is nice to look at, but I have ZERO interest in his story. He stopped being relevant after season 3. I wonder if they’ll bring in the fairy uncle who looks exactly like Jason. That would give Ryan Kwanten more to do than be annoying and complain about how much he hates vampires.

44. I really wish they would’ve stuck closer to the books. I like the addition of Jessica, but Warlow, Andy’s babies and all the rest is just ridiculous.
    I was super freaked when Eric just up and stabbed himself to use his blood to give Sookie her house back. I was kinda bummed though when she rescinded his invitation to her house, but let’s be honest, that won’t last long. Also, how awesome was his exit? Just slowly floating backwards. A-maze-ing.

45. Kizi 11 says:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your next post
    thanks once again.

46. Kizi says:

I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also pay a visit this blog on regular basis to take updated from hottest information.