Emmys

Daytime Emmys: B&B and Y&R Dominate, GH's Ex-Lulu Wins, Days Is Named Best Drama

Daytime Emmy Winners 2013The 40th annual Daytime Emmy Awards were held Sunday night in Beverly Hills, hosted by Sam Champion (Good Morning America) and HLN personalities Robin Meade and A.J. Hammer.

CBS’ The Bold and the Beautiful boasted the biggest haul, translating its 15 nominations into nine total Emmys, including for Writing, lead actress Heather Tom and five Creative Arts trophies collected on Saturday.

Sister sudser The Young and the Restless — which went into this year’s awards with the most nominations, 23 — wound up with seven wins, including for Lead Actor/first-time gold-grabber Doug Davidson.

Days of Our Lives was named best drama. One Life to Live earned one Emmy, tying General Hospital for Multiple Camera Editing on Saturday night.

On the “interesting” side, GH‘s former Lulu, Julie Marie Berman, nonetheless won for Supporting Actress, while Kristen Alderson earned her first Emmy,Daytime Emmy Winners 2013 in the Younger Actress race, for playing Starr — a character that has since been yanked away from her by the One Life to Live reboot/legal flapdoodle.

Among the telecast’s highlights, and there were so few: Corbin Bernsen dropping the S-word and an F-bomb while imagining what his late mother, Y&R legend Jeanne Cooper, must be thinking about this year’s ceremony (namely, her being a part of the In Memoriam tribute); and Carrie Fisher dropping acid… jokes before getting to hand an Emmy to her onetime Star Wars boss, George Lucas (accepting for The Clone Wars).

Here now are the winners in the categories announced on Sunday:

LEAD ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Doug Davidson (Paul, Y&R)

GAME SHOW
The Price Is Right (CBS)

GAME SHOW HOST
Ben Bailey, Cash Cab

TALK SHOW | INFORMATIVE
The Dr. Oz Show

SUPPORTING ACTOR IN A DRAMA (TIE)
Scott Clifton (Liam, B&B)
Billy Miller (Billy, Y&R)

DRAMA WRITING TEAM
The Bold and the Beautiful

LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
Game show host Monty Hall
Producer Bob Stewart

SUPPORTING ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Julie Marie Berman (ex-Lulu, GH)

CULINARY PROGRAM (TIE)
Best Thing I Ever Made (Food Network)
Trisha’s Southern Kitchen (Food Network)

CULINARY HOST
Lidia Bastianich (Lidia’s Italy)

LEAD ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Heather Tom (Katie, B&B)

TALK SHOW | ENTERTAINMENT
The Ellen DeGeneres Show

DRAMA DIRECTING TEAM
The Bold and the Beautiful

SPECIAL CLASS | ANIMATED PROGRAM
Star Wars: The Clone Wars

YOUNGER ACTOR IN A DRAMA
Chandler Massey (Will, Days)

MORNING PROGRAM
CBS Sunday Morning

YOUNGER ACTRESS IN A DRAMA
Kristen Alderson (as Starr, GH)

ORIGINAL SONG
“Good Afternoon,” Good Morning America

TALK SHOW HOST
Ricki Lake (The Ricki Lake Show)

OUTSTANDING DAYTIME DRAMA
Days of Our Lives

Also, here are select non-soap opera winners in the aforementioned Creative Arts categories, which were handed out on Saturday evening (Deadline has a full list):

CHILDREN’S ANIMATED PROGRAM
Kung Fu Panda: Legends of Awesomeness (Nickelodeon)

PERFORMER IN AN ANIMATED PROGRAM
David Tennant (Star Wars: The Clone Wars)

WRITING IN ANIMATION
WordGirl (PBS)

CHILDREN’S SERIES
R.L. Stine’s The Haunting Hour The Series (HUB Network)

PRE-SCHOOL CHILDREN’S SERIES
Sesame Street (PBS)

PERFORMER IN A CHILDREN’S SERIES
Kevin Clash (Elmo, Sesame Street)

WRITING IN A CHILDREN’S SERIES
Sesame Street (PBS)

1. lyn says:

Sigh! Doug Davidson, one gorgeous Scorpio man!

• Paula Reid says:

I love Doug Davidson. He so deserved to win this award. His reaction to killing his son Ricky on the show was so believable. U would have thought it was his real life son.
      I thought I had taped the awards show but something happened to my DVR and did not tape. I can’t find anywhere on here that will let me watch on computer. Do u have any suggestion’s?

2. Jacqi says:

I was really hoping Jason Thompson would win.

• Bri says:

Jason Thompson deserved that award he was/is amazing!

• Mick says:

His Emmy reel was beautiful. Those scenes before Robin’s funeral were heartbreaking. Also where is the love for Michael Muhney?

• Sam says:

Doug Davidson has been good for years, but this particular year, he didn’t deserve it over Jason Thompson. He acted his ass off this past year. It’s a shame that he didn’t win.

• TS says:

Honestly, if he would have submitted in supporting, he probably would have won.

3. Jen N says:

Why is this show such a train wreck?!?! Poor Billy Miller!!!

4. Opal says:

Finally Doug wins!!

5. Sarah says:

Seriously who’s running the awards show??? So unorganized n the after the win interviews r terrible. Pls hire someone else!!!

• Linda M. says:

This really was the worse award show I have ever seen. Parts of it were just to embarassing to even watch…Carrie Fisher, the couch interviews, the song….it looked like the most unorganized show ever….I feel bad because normally I love award shows but this was not good at all.

• ams says:

I’ve only just started to watch, literally have watched 5 minutes and couldn’t agree with you more! Bethany Housewife was a bumbling mess and then they had no idea who’s turn it was to introduce Alec Trebec? Come on guys, who the heck is producing this nonsense?!

• Roni says:

My favorite moment was when they introduced The Talk’s Aisha “Taylor.”

• sheila says:

Agreed! Worst television ever seen. Did they not have a director? I love soaps but had to turn this program off it was so shameful and embarrassing.

6. Jdurbs says:

I really have no idea why I clicked on this link….but it shocks me they gave Kevin clash an award.

• Brendan says:

It’s the last time he will ever be nominated for the work he did as Elmo – and regardless of his personal life, there is no denying that as Elmo he was pure genius for children and fans of Sesame Street.

7. Matt says:

Welcome to the CBS Daytime Emmys

• Larry says:

Seriously, are these awards open to all the networks? Because it sure as heck doesn’t look like it. Almost seems like a sham of an awards show so far with everything going CBS.

8. Carm says:

Cash Cab is still on? I watch reruns all the time.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No, its cancellation was announced about a year ago, but it still wound up with eligible airdates.

9. Jen N says:

OMG it is actually getting worse….you would think they would practice what to do in case of a tie….what a disaster! I feel bad for the actors and other television professionals who deserve to have this night to celebrate and be honored.

10. Marci says:

Jdurbs – awards are given on merit, not gossip or scandal. He was given an award because he is an amazing puppeteer.

11. MonicaF says:

OMG Jen N… I couldn’t agree with you more! This is a total train wreck. I am watching this with butterflies in my stomach from the embarrassment that I feel for everyone involved with this show! I also feel embarrassed for myself that I am watching it. Then again, you know what they say about train wrecks… you can’t look away no matter how much you want to!!

• G-Mom says:

I couldn’t agree more!! I have NEVER seen such an awful, amateurish production in my life! What network is HLN anyway? There were technical difficulties, NO censoring language, the singing, the couch interviews!! I don’t know who was responsible for that train wreck, but they should not do it again. I haven’t watched the daytime Emmys in quite a few years, but they were not this bad before!

• alexis says:

I was very upset that there was no “hoopla” or advertisement, if you will, leading up to the 2013 Daytime Emmy’s. As a fan of Y&R I always watch the Emmy’s WHEN I KNOW ABOUT THEM! We found out the next morning on GMA and then combed through our local newspaper TV guide section to no avail. I had no idea they would be on HLN! (mostly a politically driven show I refuse to watch) What was that all about??? I don’t care how bad the critics say it was, I reserve the right to make my own judgement. Maybe, Mr. Donald Trump had enough money to buy his spot for the Miss USA pageant and, therefore, knock the Daytime Emmys off of a spot on national television. Makes you wonder–HUUMM!

• Von M. says:

PREACH!!!…lol…

12. Jen N says:

Matt – you have a soap background…any thoughts on this crazy show???

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

I’ll take anything over that Las Vegas-sponsored soaps-phobic spectacle from the past couple years.

• JAMANDAFAN says:

The Vegas one was the worst!!! Here is what I don’t get–who do they think tunes into this show? SOAP FANS!! So make the show about soaps! Someone who watches Ellen everyday or likes game shows isn’t tuning into the daytime Emmys. The preshow red carpet only had one soap actor interview!

• The Daytime Emmys is an annual tribute to every genre on US daytime TV, from not just soaps, talk shows, court shows and game shows, but also children’s programming and feature/lifestyle programs.

Soap fans, like you and me, are the most vocal out of all the genre-based fanbases out there, but it doesn’t necessarily mean the awards shows should solely be about daytime dramas. There’s the Soap Digest Awards for that (if it’s still ongoing), and if you’re into British soaps, there’s the British Soap Awards.

The awards show’s there to appeal to every genre that airs from 6am in the morning until 6pm in the afternoon.

Consider the hard work, sweat and dedication that people in the industry put into making different variety of shows on TV so that there’s something for every one to watch: Your mother’s afternoon soap, your grandmother’s morning talk show, your little brother’s favorite Saturday anime, and your husband’s appointment home-improvement show.

13. Liam says:

Did anyone do any rehearsing at all for this show? Also was this the director’s first job ever?

14. Liam says:

Does CBS own HNL? Did they even show one clip from days of our lives at all?

15. EJ says:

Sam Champion is a hideously bad co-host.

16. Jen N says:

Ok Corbin Bernsen just did a fab job blowing this show up with dropping the s-word and an f-bomb AND mocking the couch!!!

• Elaine says:

He was the first real thing about this show! What a disaster! How will anyone take daytime seriously if they can’t even get an awards show right? Anne Hathway and James Franco’s Oscar show was ten times better!

17. Meg says:

Jason Thompson not winning is devastating. He’s been spot-on.

Floored that Kevin Clash got an award. Can’t even imagine that his name was entered.

18. britt says:

Kevin clash…really

19. MsTess says:

The actual Show Sucks so BAD the opening was awful and the interviews after the wins are painful Then they Flub the montage of Monty Hall .. Who ever thought of this format needs to be fired all I keep thinking is the actors waiting are having a LONG NIGHT The Couch interviews were such a waste of time .I use to love when they showed the clips they sent in to be voted on what happened to that? Some one needs FIRED and the HOST never to work again Awful show

• Mags says:

The couch interviews were just strange.

In one week we went from seeing the best awards show of the year (The Tonys) to seeing the worst.

BTW, how did Peggy McKay get a lead actress nomination when she’s hardly onscreen?

• Von M. says:

Yes…it SUCKED BAD!

20. Teresa says:

Wow, this is by far the worst daytime emmy awards show. Why does the co-host keep singing?

• Tess says:

I would have to agree with Matt that the one from a few years back that was held in Vegas and was more like one long infomercial for the place that they were holding it in rather than an actual awards show still is the worst awards show in the history of award shows. But this is coming in a close second… and yes, Robin Meade needs to just stop singing.

21. jennifer says:

I love Julie Marie Berman but Katherine Kelly Lang should have won.

• Frances Ringswald says:

I.could.not believe.what I was watching…what a shame for all.of these great daytime stars who work so hard.
      Fisher was an embarrassment

22. MsTess says:

My Gosh Robin Mead is sining again.!!!! YOUCK.and they cut the winners speech for this???

23. MonicaF says:

Isn’t this supposed to be over by 10????

24. Jen N says:

There are only 4 soaps left – 2 on CBS so the odds are in there favor. That said, there WAS an ABC win..the supporting actress winner was from General Hospital.

25. MsTess says:

they will call the winner of Daytime soap winner and then Blow them off the stage by saying Goodnight everyone were out of time

26. Teresa says:

Where’s Angell and Redaric from y&r

27. Diane says:

Who the frick is Robin Meade?

• MsTess says:

she does the morning news on HLN at 5 am

• MsTess says:

She does the morning news on HLN at 5am

• Von M. says:

lol…

• Jasi says:

Exactly what I was asking. I decided to watch HLN this morning to see WTH they did for $$. OMG! it’s as bad as last nights Emmys.. She has a voice that sounds like she’s SMOKED 4 packs of cigs per day since she was 12, and they roar laughing at everything.
      The weather guy was talking about the devastation of a town that was flooded. When it switched back to RMeade, she made some tacky comment about how she wasn’t listening to him, and started her roaring smokers laugh again. Also pushing her CD. (Oh yeah, she’ll autograph) LOL..
      LMBO when NO one would stand last night when she was singing. (Some dude was standing, waving his arms for everyone to stand. lol).

28. Teresa says:

Where’s Kristof

29. Teresa says:

Love Betty White

30. MonicaF says:

This is by far the WORST thing that I have EVER seen on live TV. So disappointing that they opted out of showing the actual actors’ submitted clips to do awkward couch interviews and to watch Robin Mead sing barefoot!! Everyone involved with this show should be fired! Awful!!! Just horrible!

31. MsTess says:

I bet if they do a exit poll about the show and asked if next year show will be the same how many would stay home . and What do they really think of the show .did you notice all the booze on the table .they needed it to stay till the end

32. Liam says:

Dick Clark would never had allowed it to go over this long. haha

33. Liam says:

I’m glad HLN is televising the show, however, some rehearsal would have been nice.

34. Mick says:

How did B&B win when OTLT had the best final season of a soap I have ever seen. SMH

35. tracy84 says:

I’m so glad that Kristen Alderson won for Starr. She was completely overlooked when Starr gave birth and thought her baby died so I’m glad she was finally recognized. Also, are her and Chad dating? I know they hang out together a lot but there was that huge back lash when she posted pics of them watching super bowl together on twitter cuz he is going through a divorce or just got divorced so everyone was calling her a homewrecker, IDk. I think they are cute together tho.

• Meg says:

They’re dating. Same with Kirsten Storms & Brandon Barash. I believe the end of Brandon’s engagement and the start of his relationship with Kirsten were close together.

• Jacqi says:

Chad and his wife got an annulment soon after they got married. It was confirmed awhile ago that yes Chad and Kristen are dating. I think they are adorable together. Have you seen any of their youtube videos? They are hilarious.

36. Regal says:

How in the world did Days win Outstanding Daytime Drama?

• NJM says:

By having the better stories this round!

• ZmaX says:

Days has been great recently Will’s storyline has been a real treat.

• Regal says:

Okay. I’ll admit to that (which is exactly why no one was surprised to see Chandler Massey win best younger actor again), but it’s just Days almost never wins, especially not Best Drama. (And I’m say that as someone who watches Days faithfully)

• Alex says:

Days is not exactly known for being high quality. It’s won for outstanding drama just twice now, and the only other time was way back in 1978. It’s also not known for having very good acting quality and has won very few acting Emmys over the years (not a single one during the entire 1990s, I believe, and probably the main reason it’s won a handful in recent years is because there are so few other soaps left to compete with it). So Days is not exactly the first soap most would think of when they consider good quality, though it can be very entertaining.

As for it supposedly having the “best stories,” the voting is based on only a small number of submitted episodes from last year. And it also doesn’t matter if the show has been good “recently,” seeing that the submitted episodes can’t be from the current year.

• dee123 says:

I don’t mind. They have kind of been snubbed for like 30 years for some odd reason.

37. Staci says:

this is the biggest piece of cow crap i have ever seen glad to know this piece of crap won’t be on next year and kristen alderson is a horrible actress her acting sucks like she does

38. Kathy says:

Finally Robin Meade stopped singing. Oh the show is over. What an average singer. Poorly directed show. The audience continually talked. They gave the wrong envelope to the presenter. Really this was bad. Well I guess Robin had a good time.

• Von M. says:

Poor Kathy…you really had to listen to the singing…thank God for DVR..I don’t think I could have taken watching it live…I barly got through watching it on DVR!!! I only slowed down for General Hospital nom..which wasn’t very much…lol…I hate to see Lulu leave the new Lulu sucks!

39. Kaily says:

What a joke!!!!

40. A.J. says:

So glad Days won Best Daytime Drama Series! I was starting to think it would never happen in my lifetime (I was born in ’82). It has been so great this past year! I really never expected a win for them tonight, so I was really shocked and pleasantly surprised. Also glad Chandler Massey won for the 2nd year in a row. Totally deserves it!

• Regal says:

Agreed on both counts. Days has been my soap since college, but I never actually expected them to win. Especially not with the way things normally go for the CBS soaps and the ridiculous amount of attention that GH has been getting due to it being their anniversary year.

41. Sheila says:

Seems like the way to win this year was to be fired or canceled…

42. Karla Petri says:

This was the worst show EVER- Robin Meade is a no talent, they should have given it all to Sam to host. It was so disorganized, cameras didn’t know where to go, the music and sound was horrible! Nothing seemed rehearsed, amateurs could have directed this better. There was absolutely nothing worth the air time.

43. Von M. says:

This was the worse show ever!!! Robin Meade with all that singing drove me nuts…She needs to stick to her day time job, and those interviews!!!!…No one wanted to see that!!! Everyone kept talking!!!!

44. Allyson says:

I am so grateful that I forgotten all about the Daytime Emmy award shows. It used to air on CBS and it was bad, but I guess it was even worse on HLN according to some of the comments here today.

45. alika says:

Good lord I hope this award show ends up on tosh.0 ,
    What a terribly directed show

46. Steve Ungrey says:

I am glad to see Days get a win, but I think there were far more deserving years than this one. For the record, I stopped watching after the September 28, 2012 episode, out of frustration that Matt Ashford had been written off and Peter Reckell was leaving. Not crazy about most of the current stories. However, glad to see Chandler pick up his second Emmy!

• Jasi says:

I agree. Glad they won, but now the show is obsessed with the one actor that pushed PR out and he can NOT act. He’s Horrible.
      Maybe he could team up with R Meade. Their talents are about equal.
      So glad to see C. Massey, B. Miller, and ESP. D. Davidson win.
      The MOST UNORGANIZED show I’ve ever seen. Well, except for Robin Meade’s show this a.m.

47. alika says:

Robyn Meade was awful, her singing was retarded, her earpiece was out for like a half hour dangling on her shoulder before she noticed it. And then she shamelessly announces her songs before announcing best song. She was awful. Whoever did production. For this show should be fired, a complete

48. Anna says:

Chandler Massey has been doing a kick-ass job on Days – glad to see him win.

Not going to lie, the Doug Davidson win over Jason Thompson seems more political to me. Everyone knew that this was Jason Thompson’s year, but it’s almost like the Susan Lucci Emmy – they gave it to her because she had been on the show for so long rather than her actually deserving for that particular year. Kind of feeling like a repeat of that right now…

49. Cris M says:

Like watching a low low budget tele-thon. Fundraisers we understand there’s no budget. Tonight’s show is like watching a comedy skit. Non stop mistakes. If anyone out there like me who still wants to get in to production, there’s still room for us!!!